z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Writer

by Inspiredravens


***Library Activity for a Creative Writing class, we had to choose a book, blindly flip to a page and gather 6 words to make a phrase from anywhere on the page and then write for 5 minutes straight beginning with the created phrase. I am kind of proud of this for the very first piece in my writing class, so here it is, shred if you like, I know it is a little cliche...***

--------------------

The library was mindless, simply clad in its features. It carried no mind of its own, no heartbeat to carry its life support throughout its towering shelves. Although, one could say that the words were the mind of authors, of thoughts and ideas that all shouted into a cohesive chorus waiting to be heard. And one could also say that the shelves, the ladders, the librarians were all the working lifeblood of the place, but that was not the case with this library. No, this library was very different indeed.

Inside this petite yet tall building, there lived a man, and before you decide to close this book, dear reader, I must address something first. You see, this man is called Writer and he has a story he’s been waiting to tell. He is a very old creature now, much more akin to tree bark than a man really, but he is wise, you see. He has done his time living through the ages long, long ago, and now he sits in the library, this decrepit, old library because it reminds him of himself and he feels that he fits in here.

With the smell of the dusty books as his perfume and the feel of the worn out carpet on his bare feet, it is an easy conclusion that he is definitely a different kind of man. He has no family left with him except the mice that hide in the walls and he has no friends save those lining the shelves. One could even venture to say that he has no life, giving that he only ever ventures out of the solid oak doors and onto the windswept streets to find himself a cup of coffee. Then, of course, he quickly comes scurrying back to his so called “home” which he finds most dear.

It is here that, even with all of the voices screamed and all of the thoughts calling, it was here that he could become mindless, finding himself.

You see, dearest reader, the lineage of Writer is a curious one. Writer’s are curious creatures. They don’t always speak or venture out into the real world. Sometimes, dearest reader, sometimes instead of baby steps, they take one huge leap into the darkness and manage to land in unimaginable places.

And, mind you, dearest reader, today Writer is going to take that leap.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 115
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:40 pm
chelseamarie wrote a review...



I like this! You have some beautiful word choice here, and there is a dark sense of mystery throughout the work.
Okay I am going to rip this apart a bit, but take all of this with a grain of salt: it is your piece, so of course, you must stick with your own vision. Most of the critique is little wording things.
I like the idea of this sentence, but the message is interrupted by the amount of “its”:
“It carried no mind of its own, no heartbeat to carry its life support throughout its towering shelves.”
I would change the last part to “life support throughout towering shelves,” because it is already implied that the narrator is talking about that library's towering shelves, and this wording takes out an “its”.

“Although, one could say that the words were the mind of authors, of thoughts and ideas that all shouted into a cohesive chorus waiting to be heard. And one could also say that the shelves, the ladders, the librarians were all the working lifeblood of the place, but that was not the case with this library.”
This next section should be a little more connected with the first part of the paragraph. I understand that you are expressing how one could see the authors as part of what gives library a “heartbeat,” but this connection should be a little more direct. The first time I read this, I was left wondering “although what?” Clarify: connect the author's heartbeat to the one of the library, put this and the following sentence before the previous one, just smooth it out a bit.

And one could also say that the shelves, the ladders, the librarians were all the working lifeblood of the place, but that was not the case with this library.”
I am a big fan of sentences that start with “and,” so props for that. Here is a good reference to the heartbeat you were talking about before with “lifeblood”. Since this sentence is a continuation of the one before—and the one before starts with although—maybe take out the “but”.

“Inside this petite yet tall building”
Petite yet tall? I could see skinny yet tall, or delicate yet tall, but petite yet tall seem inherently difference. Of course, you could have written this as an interesting oxymoron that symbolizes something about the writer or the library that I am missing.

“He is a very old creature now, much more akin to tree bark than a man really, but he is wise, you see”
This is a preference of style, but I would take out the “really,” or put a comma before it, the same way you did with “you see”. I really like the “much more akin to tree bark than a man” bit!

“With the smell of the dusty books as his perfume and the worn out carpet on his bare feet, it is an easy conclusion that he is definitely a different kind of man.”
I am really nitpicking here, but I would say “under his bare feet.” I would also take out the “definitely” for flow. The “it is an easy conclusion that he is definitely a different kind of man” would be better at the end of the paragraph.

"Then, of course, he quickly comes scurrying back to his so called “home” which he finds most dear."
Nix the of course, you don't need it.

"It is here that, even with all of the voices screamed and all of the thoughts calling, it was here that he could become mindless, finding himself."
Take out the second “it was here.” I like how you associated mindlessness with finding himself: I instinctual associate mindlessness with loosing oneself, but he is “a different kind of man,” so he lives by different rules. Good stuff.

"Writer’s are curious creatures."
No apostrophe.

Now I want to know more! What is the big leap he is going to take? It would be nice if you did another installment.

Keep writing!!
-Chelsea






Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I agree with everything you but picked and I will take it all into account in my future writings. Thank you so much! (And in regards to your comment below, this is t too harsh, it's long but the points you made were valid.)

Happy Writing!



User avatar


Points: 115
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 pm
chelseamarie says...



I am rereading my review and it is a little harsh. Sorry, I just really like it, and I think it has the opportunity to be even more wonderful!
-Chelsea




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 3819
Reviews: 93

Donate
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm
Lefty wrote a review...



Hi, there! Lefty here to review!

This was really interesting! It really makes you look at books and libraries in a different way. I really liked the way you described everything, so clearly and creatively. Writer is cool. Interesting.

I like how you talk about Writer's and them being curious creatures. That last paragraph about them leaping into darkness was really cool and I like how you ended it with Writer taking that leap. Awesome!

I got the feel that Writer is this old-soul that has seen everything and now he lives in this library, observing and reading everything until he feels confident that he's ready to begin writing his story, and at the end it sounds like he finally reached that point. I could only imagine that his story would be full of wonder and wisdom.

You use "you see" and "dearest reader" quite a few times in this, like Satira said, but it doesn't really make it sound bad. Just maybe a little repetitive. But you story sounds like someone telling a story and if that's how the "teller" speaks, then it makes sense. So just something to keep in mind.

This was pretty short so I didn't really find any other nitpicks to touch on. Nice job! Your sentences flow nicely and you have good grammar and punctuation. This sounds like an interesting assignment which I think you handled pretty nicely. Keep up the good work and have a nice day!

-Lefty






Thanks so much! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Happy Writing!



User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 2348
Reviews: 94

Donate
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 pm
Satira wrote a review...



Hello! I like this little prologue, and I'm excited to see where it goes. But I have a few suggestions that hope you'll take into account.

. You use 'dear reader' a lot. It isn't that bad, and I see how it gives the reader the impression they're being told the story from the point of view of a wizened elder who knows much and all. But I suggest you cut most of them out. If you use too many, you'll seem pretentious. I would limit the 'dear readers' to two or three at most, and make those widely spaced apart.

. the first passage about the library is a bit confusing. You use the word 'mind' twice in two sentences, which is usually a red flag, and you also contradict yourself by saying that the 'library was mindless' but that some might say(another example of a phrase that is meant to give atmosphere but is really a bit pretentious) that it's the voices and thoughts of authors and readers that give it it's personality. If you're trying to prove that the library is mindless, than don't make your readers doubt that un less/til the story calls for it.
If Writer is so curious, why dies he almost never leave the library? I mean, I guess I get what you're saying...I'm curious and I spend all of my time being a mole rat in my room. But it's something you I would like to know what KIND of leap writer will be taking, but I guess that will be explained in the next part.
Sorry I've attacked this piece. It's intriguing, really.
happy writing!
~Satira






Thanks for the review! I understand the confusion in contradicting myself, I sort of glanced over it twice before posting because of the time crunch in class and I just wanted to get it up and this excuse is not a very good one... I'm sorry.

As for the "dear reader" things, I wasn't sure how many to put in or leave out, so I kinda just shoved them wherever sounded okay at the time, but thank you for giving me a quantitative idea.

Once again, thanks for the review and Happy Writing!



Satira says...


Hey, everyone makes mistakes! And believe, me, my excuses when I get criticism are a lot worse than yours.
but remember, there isn't a rule about the quantity. All writing has to do to 'be good' is to sound good. no trick to it. read the story out loud to yourself if that helps!





Thanks so much!




ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones