Home » Literary works » Poetry » Lyrical

Finals

by InnerTurmoil

Just hide under your bed.
Run out of your room.
Climb a tree.

Finals are here.
Oh I fear.

I hate the studying.
I hate the rules.

No making noise before 6.
But dare you make noise at five minutes past 7.
Student affairs will have you by the neck.

No boombox blasting,
no computer smashing.

Well now we all have plans.
For one hour a day.
We will blast radios and scream.

We have hit our limit.
They won't live through it.

We'll hurt them if they get in our face.

Again doesn't ryhme much but I'm tryin to destress.

CK Lynn says...

You definately captured the frustrations of all the big tests heaped on during one week. I would like to see the verses made longer, as well as the ryhme (is that how you spell it?) completed. Other than those two things, I liked this piece.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:15 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...

LOL that was quite good actually. Initially I wasnt sure but after several readings...I'm not sure exactly what you mean, since I live in a different country and everything, but I do know that feeling of hysteria that is so well expressed here. Exams are terrible things, I say! Cruel and unusual punishment! A great little poem, very funny, definitely one of my faves by you. Keep it up :D

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:15 am
Crysi wrote a review...

*nods* Definitely. It shows how everyone is so stressed out about finals that they go insane for a bit, easily taking it out on others. I remember trying to study for one of my finals, and one of my friends wouldn't stop talking and wouldn't leave me alone. I snapped at her and yelled for like five minutes because I was so stressed out. Now, I'm sure you guys are talking about college finals, since I don't know about the one hour thing. Still, finals are stressful for everyone at every level. Great job. And remember, it doesn't necessarily have to rhyme to be a poem. To me, poems that don't rhyme are more real and carry more emotion, because you're not limited to certain words or sounds.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:35 am
Meshugenah says...

i think you captured finals alright. a certian anount of hysteria and the sense of agony, the never ending sense of finals never ending, wow. excellent work.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:55 pm
InnerTurmoil says...

thx that means alot to me you guys!!! :D

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:20 pm
Chevy says...

this was good poem--im not sure if it's supposed to be this way--but i thought i was funny. at first, i didnt think i was going to like it, but after reading it, i was satisfied and well pleased.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:35 pm
InnerTurmoil says...

thx nate glad you liked it!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:38 am
Nate wrote a review...

I love this! Especially since this is exactly how finals week is. You have that one, special hour of the day when you can actually play your stereo or turn on the Television without worrying if the volume is too loud, and of course everything breaks loose. People run up and down the hallway screaming, cars start honking, and just everything kinda goes crazy for one hour.

As for the poem itself, I thought it was well written. It had a humorous tone to it that reminded me of something written by Shel Silverstein and it definitely had the right mix of agony to go with it.

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow