She Waits

by Industrio

"One."

Fumbling for the trigger. Her crippled, wrinkly hands were trembling.

"Two."

She could smell her own putrid breath as she mumbled.

"Three."

She paused. Was this really what she wanted? Yes. Sure? Yes. She turned her feeble gaze to the walls of her crumbling blue house. They sagged like her swaying breasts, they stank like her mouth. Black blotches had crept into the corners and the floors, moist and fecal to the touch. Her eyes landed on a shelf, laden with musty picture frames, a few of them empty. Her three children grinned back at her, almost as plastic as the frame that encased them. Another picture was of her late husband, stoically staring into space. She glanced down at her ring finger and grunted. The skin around her ring had puffed up with age and fast food. She could never take it off.

But that didn't matter. Yes. This is what she wanted. There was no hope for a bitter old lady, tucked away into a shack that nobody visited. No money, little food, decaying dresses. She had nothing but her eighty-nine years. And boy, did they catch up with her in the past year. Already her teeth were falling out. Last time she counted, she had thirteen left. Or was it nine?

"Nine...no. Now," she commanded herself.

She aimed the barrel to her ear and squeezed her fingers. Nothing happened. She squeezed harder, the metal digging into her fragile skin. She could feel it turn white, her bones barring against the trigger.

BANG!

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 am
candrew wrote a review...

Hi I'm Candrew. Wow, that was really good. It took you five minutes to write that? That would have taken me like five hours to write that. what I want to know is what inspired you to write that? Was it from a dark part of you that needs to come out or did you see a movie, television show, or something to that matter. Not trying to creep you out or anything it's just that was good and I would like to know what inspired that story. It was awesome. I hope I can have the privilege of reading more of your stories.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 pm
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

YOU WROTE THIS IN FIVE MINUTES?!
However much time it took to write this, I don't care because it was great! It was very quick but you gave so much information that it turned out well! And it's different, and original; I would have never thought of old an woman commiting suicide. The way you make the reader get inside the characters mind is priceless. It's also really suspenseful. I kept waiting for what would happen next, and I had to read the part about the gun not working at first over again because I thought it was going to work.

Industrio says...

Thank you! I am trying to branch out from the "teenager writing about other teenagers" syndrome. It's more interesting to explore different kinds of characters.

MooCowPoop says...

My friend, I completely agree.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:05 pm
Poobos wrote a review...

Hi. This is good. Actually, it's excellent for something written in five minutes(!), but other than that it was not especially remarkable. But then, nobody should expect to write a masterpiece in five minutes!

Death is a very interesting topic for a story. In fact, if you were to ask J.R.R. Tolkien (when he was still around), he would tell you that all stories are ultimately about death. This story is about making the decision to die - actually, it isn't, it's about having second thoughts over the decision already made - but what about the experience of death itself? Your representation of what a violent death looks (or, rather, sounds) like is somewhat suitable from the perspective of anyone other than the person being killed, but this is an introspective piece, from the perspective of the suicidal old lady. Have you considered whether 'BANG!' is actually the best way to represent this person's death?

There is a story, 'Bullet in the Brain', by a writer called Tobias Wolff, about a man who gets shot in the head. The entire second half of the story - which is a few pages long - is about the man's experience of being shot in the head (not the aftermath - he dies almost immediately, but that fraction of a second provides his brain enough time to experience something other than 'BANG!'). I'm not saying you should copy this story or any other, but it's worth considering what sorts of things you could do to make your story more interesting.

Industrio says...

Hmm, it sounds interesting. I'll have to read it.

I guess, what I was going for in this piece was more an exercise in showing, rather than telling. In the original, it was a fraction of the length and I basically told the readers about how she had children that never came to visit her, how she was impoverished, and how she wasn't exactly right in the head anymore. My sentences were bland and, overall, disgustingly boring. So, I decided to switch tactics and use a more in depth method of telling about the woman, leaving the reader to ask things like: Why did her children never visit? Why is the tone resentful when the wedding ring is mentioned? Why is she impoverished? Is she miserable because she is suicidal or suicidal because she is miserable?

Thank you for your comment/review. :) I appreciate it.

Poobos says...

It's very good as a writing exercise, and you have 'shown' very well. Actually, to be fair, I should have given some praise to your writing style and characterization of the old woman, but I tend to focus more on what can be improved, changed, expanded upon, reconsidered, etc. I look forward to reading more from you!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:24 am
rishabh wrote a review...

this is a nice horror story...........i loved it. your work is fab. this short story reminded my creation when i was 15..."berculious and the magical flame"..........watever.....past is past. but you had done good job. your writing style is good and quite good approach as well.

the dialogues in between are nice............quite touchy.

overall good. keep it up.

Industrio says...

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:01 am
Sonder wrote a review...

Hello Industrio! I'm Griff, here for a review!

I'm just gonna gush praises here. For having been written in 5 minutes, this is pretty darn good! Despite it being so short, I found this story really appealing. Normally I would tell someone to elaborate on it, to make it longer, but no. This was the perfect length! It moved the story along, while still giving enough description and background info to make it interesting. I actually enjoyed it very much.
I loved the character, really. You described her attitude of hopelessness perfectly. I especially liked how she recounted the number of teeth she had.
The suspense had me on the edge of my seat, especially the part when the trigger didn't pull. Oh gosh!

Overall, I really enjoyed this. As I said, it was well written and timed. Congrats on that.

Keep writing and being amazing!

~GC

Industrio says...

Haha, thank you! I could spruce it up a bit, but some things ought to be left where they are.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus