z

Young Writers Society



Prosthesis #1 /P

by Incandescence


Removed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 1840
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 pm
Loose says...



disturbing. . . and fantastic at the same time. Brad, thats you in a nutshell ;) I LOVE THIS. Now to read chapter 2!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:54 am
Teeeeo. wrote a review...



Emma wrote:When you said he undid the boys jeans I thought he was going to chop something else off, but that just shows I'm clearly immuture.


So do I XD


This was awesome! I could tell exactly what was going on, although it pained me... I tend to try to feel like each character and the kid was no exception XD

All the mistakes I found were already pointed out, so my post seems rather... small...

Oh well.




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:23 am
Emma says...



I am disturbed. You are sick but I love it. When you said he undid the boys jeans I thought he was going to chop something else off, but that just shows I'm clearly immuture. Ha. Nice work, I shall be reading the rest.




User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 8413
Reviews: 816

Donate
Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:37 am
Leja says...



Religiously, I don't agree one bit with what you've written and I'm not sure I'll read the rest, but in this world of political correctness, I'll not hold it against you. That being said, it was a chilling read.




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:50 pm
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Well, I did start on the prologue; and as I've read this, I ought to be good enough to make some remark. ^_^


It was painfully over-the-top, nearly pornographic in its following minutely the boy's torture. I have to say, on mere opinion, I much prefer your subtlety. I assume it is intended to be - more or less - as is though, meaning bloody and garish.

Its beginning?

It began compellingly, briefly, and immediately involved dialogue. The pacing there was excellent; and though I didn't like the way I saw it going, I was drawn in.

By middle?

You began so cleanly (sans thick description, names or setting) that by the mid-drawing-towards-end I felt a bit vague as to where it all was, in what circumstances. It could almost be a madman and a boy against a bluescreen for all that I can tell. Are they in a monastery? On the road? In the boy's home? (As is, it seems, possibly implied by the victim's wish/thought that he hadn't gone...?)

Even the hint or offhand addition of the torturer setting the saw on a kitchen table; or taking the saltshaker from a cupboard; counter, etc. would give some sense of surroundings.

And by the end...

The dialogue is neat enough (as in clear, well-presented) that I wanted to hear out the exchange, torture, garish, madness and all. But the boy cried a bloody awful lot. And by the end, I rather felt deja vu. 'He's crying again? Or wait, he's weeping now? Isn't it the same thing?' (

he cried harder. "Please."
...
He began crying once again.
...
he began crying once more.
)

What could he do other than choke and 'cry/weep'? Or how could it be shown with more variation?

Honestly, again on preference, I would have liked more depth to the sobbing youth, his thoughts, or more specific facial expression, to get a sense of who he was. With that, I would have cared more about his pain, rather than being deadened by its constance and intensity.

Oy, it did change-up violently - no pun - from the prologue. I'm thinking about whether I believe that's an apt departure or no.

Ask please, if I've been vague or obscure.


P. IMP




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:21 pm
Spark wrote a review...



The ritual was practiced. The only thing that kept this from being another rehearsal was the screams.

*were the screams. Screams is being modified by was, and since screams is plural it should be were

I'm sure it's good but I couldn't get through it :P Just can't read that kinda stuff. That one thing jumped out at me




User avatar
506 Reviews


Points: 9907
Reviews: 506

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:11 pm
Sureal wrote a review...



Hello Incan ^_^.

As usual, your writing is excellent.

However, you refer to everyone as 'he', and often switch between which character your talking about. At times, this can be make it kind of confusing.

Example:

Vomit forced its way up his mouth as his body tried to rid itself of the poison.

"No," he commanded, grabbing up a cloth handkerchief and tying it around his mouth. "You will purify your body as God has ordered."


However, despite this, it is still possible to work out which character is which. I just found this rather distracting.




User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 794
Reviews: 280

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 am
Nutty wrote a review...



Oh man... I love it!
Controversy is something that fascinates me, and religious controversy even more so!
I don't think it's too gory, I read much worse all the time lol :)

Yay! This time I can read from the start....




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:30 am
Emerson wrote a review...



and lightly tipped over the open wound.
tipped it over...?

water streaming down his face.
water=tears? if so, say tears. it sounds weird.

Why had chosen to stay home this weekend instead of going with his family.
missing a word?

*shivers* Damn, so horribly gory, and torture filled...This is great. It's so...disturbing. It will be amazing to finally come across what the plot of this is. *dies in waiting* That was so good. Thank you sir, may I please have another? lol.




User avatar
493 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 493

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:54 am
Misty says...



Oh, and I adore your quote.




User avatar
493 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 493

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:52 am
Misty wrote a review...



Sadly, in fact, it was interesting enough to keep reading. It was like a sick horror movie. There are ways to show without telling. The repitition of God this, God that, God dead, God the Creator, got tedious and redundant~the piece about homosexuality, yeah, definitely cliche. The sick descriptions, over the top, endeavoring for something you didn't achieve.

I have great respect for you as an author, and I encourage you to keep writing it (I'll keep reading it, it was interesting, as i said). But I didn't like it.




User avatar
915 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 915

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:36 am
Incandescence says...



All -


Thanks for your thoughts and considerations.

Jig: "random madness"? I guess if you consider religion "madness" (or, perhaps more interestingly, religion "random") then yeah, I agree about that. As far as being cliche, I do agree. Hopefully, though, it was interesting enough to keep reading.


Best and many thanks,
Brad




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1281
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:28 am
Bard wrote a review...



A very interesting idea. I liked it a lot, though I would hve to agree with "Jiggity" some of it was a little cliched, though still thought provoking.

My suggestion would be to play a little more with the characters. What are their relationships? Where is he? What does the place where he is kiddnapped look like? Etc. etc. (you get the idea)

Also...

Incandescence wrote:"Your God is dead." He snatched up a saltshaker and lightly tipped over the open wound. The boy violently jerked as the first particles hit, water streaming down his face


Water? Or do yor mean, "Sweat"?

I hope there will be more!
Keep up the good writing!

~Bard




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:27 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Very disturbing. Insanely so.

Why had chosen to stay home this weekend instead of going with his family.


Why had he...

Random madness. I hate that personally, I prefer usually to explore the "evil" guy or whatever, rather then showing the typical twisted guy cutting into the innocent victim.. so in that sense, I found it slightly cliche, but not overly so.

Great writing though.




User avatar
516 Reviews


Points: 4890
Reviews: 516

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:03 pm
Riedawriter23 wrote a review...



OMG Prostheses is amazing! You're right, it's a little more gory than Ch. but it's still wonderful. I felt the pain of the little boy, I mean....OW! He was awake through it as well, *sucks in breath through teeth* Ah, that must have been extremely painful. But more ass kicking! I have a feeling this is going to be another thinking book like Ch. so I'll keep a look out for clues in advance. :)

Great job, Keep at it!
~Rieda





The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill