z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Ungifted

by Inaya705


Prolouge

'I am going to get expelled.'

Ronald Astorio was a bright student of Heritage High but now he was breaking a rule by waiting for his roommate in the middle of the night, near the forest. If he get caught, there is no doubt that he will get expelled.

Heritage High Academy had international recognition because, there were a few academys where all supernatural creatures coexisted and Heritage High was one of them.

Ronald was not the type of person who break rules but now he had to help his friend, Tegan Castilian,who has helped him on different occasions. He can just hope nothing bad happens tonight. The last time he talked with Tegan, he knew something was wrong and his friend told him to come here.

At that moment he heard a sound behind the bushes."Tegan, is that you?" asked Ronald. From the place he was standing, he could not see Tegan's face but he could make out the physical outline . "Hey, I have...."

He didn't have time to finish his words, his friend attacked him with a sword. He moved quickly enough to avoid a direct hit, he has to be careful if he wanted to survive.

"Tegan, what are you doing?"

He saw Tegan's face but it was devoid of any emotions, the way he attacked him its like he was a doll. The sword he was using had a marked of a lion on it. Ronald had seen it before but at the moment he could not remember where.

Ronald knew he had no choice so he called on his magic and it took sphere form on his hand. He throw it at his friend, it was not much but enough to disable his friend. But he didn't know what happened the next moment he saw blinding white light and everything became black.

When he woke up, he saw the guards were everywhere and the whole place was destroyed. Some trees were uprooted and the ground had holes in many places.

"What did you do, boy?" asked the captain of the guard, Van Grafore. He had a strong dislike towards Ronald.

"I didn't do anything, Tegan was suddenly.."

"Shut up." barked the captain."Your friend is dead and we know you used magic here, so I am going to ask you again what did you do?"

It took Ronald a while to know what the captain had said.

"What....I didn't.....he attacked me with a....sword"

"There was no sword."

"There was....I saw..."

"If you don't speak the truth,you will be in worse situation."

"Captain, I would like to talk to my student." said professor Grantham. The professor was very old even though he looked in his early thirties and had enough power that even the captain of the guard's had no saying in it.

"Fine, but remember boy, you killed the grandmaster's son."

"Sir, I.."

"Mr.Astorio, its better for you to keep quite at the moment."

Ronald knew he was in trouble but he could hope Zion would take care of her now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 898
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:18 pm
kairamorgan wrote a review...



Hello! First things first, I love the content of this chapter, it's a great way to start a story and it definitely keeps a readers attention. There are a few spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, but I've seen that a few other reviews have pointed this out and it's not hugely distracting from the content of the story itself.

The main piece of advice I'd say is to keep in mind the "show don't tell" rule. Whilst I don't entirely agree with that all the time because telling is a perfectly acceptable way of conveying information, there are a few moments which could benefit from showing the moments. For instance, you could list different ways Tegan had helped Ronald to show that he was a close friend who Ronald is willing to stick his neck out rather than just saying Tegan "has helped him on different occasions." This can also be said of when you said that Tegan was acting odd, it might be worth showing that scene. Not necessarily starting with it, but perhaps flashing back to Tegan asking Ronald to meet him there and throughout pointing out how his behaviour is abnormal.

But overall, a great story hook! I look forward to seeing what progress you make from here!




Inaya705 says...


Thank you, I will try to improve. look forward to my future updates.



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 57
Reviews: 22

Donate
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:41 pm
View Likes
Draculus wrote a review...



So.
Good day to you, Author.
I'm here for a small... Okay, for a big review. I hope you don't get all my notes too close to the heart and understand that I'm only willing to help you improve your story, and sometimes a purpose like this requires being strict and straight-forward. So let's begin?

1) Story
The story, as I could make out of the prologue, is about a fictional world. The place is a magic academy of some sort, which already makes it quite a prospective project. A place full of tennagers who fight using swords and throw magic spells at their enemies - not a new or original udea, but still can become one. You just have to make sure your plot is different from the most of the books with similar genre and setting. It'll probably take some time to check the information, but it'll be worth it. Develop your world. If you need any help with maps or concepts - I'm always glad to help, you can ask for an advice or assistance any time. You have to fully comprehend how your world operates and lives so you don't confuse your readers.

2) Style
Unfortunately, I must notice that the style limps a little and should be imrpoved. There are a few reasons why I say so.
First, you tell too much information a reader doesn't have to know. Prologue must always be intriguing, make readers want to read more, whereas you give up all interesting information at once. You tell us who the characters are, which is a mistake when it comes to a prologue, also you stuff it with facts we don't necessarily need to know, at least not in the prologue, such as

Heritage High Academy had international recognition because, there were a few academys where all supernatural creatures coexisted and Heritage High was one of them.
I can understand that it's connected to the fact the MC was afraid to get expelled, but you should have written more about it and explain in details why it was so important for the academy to keep its reputation, while you only mentioned it briefly without explaining it properly. Or, which would be better, you should not have mentioned this fact at all. But the good side is that you actually did make some intriguing details, such as mentioning a lion emblem, a name Zion, and the fact that Tegan was a grandmaster's son.
Second, you're too fast and too brief about what you write, which is bad because a reader gets to the end of a page too quickly, not being properly hooked. As I read it, all I understood is that something weird happened and the MC is in a bug trouble, but it doesn't really make me want to read more. You may be brief, though, but if you want to, you have to master the art of including all needed information into a piece of writing. There can be just a few sentences serving as a prologue, but they will tell a reader as much as necessary in order to interest them and give them the "hooking" facts. But your action happens too fast to get interested. Add more details to the scenery, emotions, and feelings of the characters. In a prologue, you shouldn't really dig deep into the history details unless it's essential, but concentrate on something more abstract so the prologue creates a feeling of intrigue. You also should be more generous when you use your words, simply write more complex sentences, form your thoughts in a bit more complicated way. Short and simple sentences remind your readers of 3rd grade students, which doesn't attract them, not really. To achieve better results in writing, read more. Read A LOT. It'll definitely help. And remember to add more to the scenes, develop them, make them wider, richer, more colourful. Don't be simple unless you've mastered the art of being simple. It's not easy to be brief and interesting at the same time, so forst you have to learn how to be complicated.

3) Grammar
Some grammar mistakes have been made.
◘ Tenses - be sure to use the same tense everywhere. For example,
Ronald Astorio #FF0000 ">was a bright student of Heritage High but now he was breaking a rule by waiting for his roommate in the middle of the night, near the forest. If he #FF0000 ">get caught, there #FF0000 ">is no doubt that he #FF0000 ">will get expelled.

First you use WAS, but then turn it into Present Tense IS. Also get should be rather gets or got depending on what tense you want to use in the chapter.
Ronald was not the type of person who #FF0000 ">break rules but now he had to help his friend, Tegan Castilian,who #FF0000 ">has helped him on different occasions. He #FF0000 ">can just hope nothing bad #FF0000 ">happens tonight. The last time he talked with Tegan, he knew something was wrong and his friend told him to come here.

Break --> Breaks or Would Break
Has --> Had (if you use Past Tense)
Can --> Could (if Past Tense)
Happens --> Would Happen (if Past Tense)
Also before the last AND should be a comma.

Heritage High Academy had international recognition because, there were a few #FF0000 ">academys where all supernatural creatures coexisted and Heritage High was one of them.

Academies
No comma after BECAUSE
Comma before AND

At that moment he heard a sound behind the bushes."Tegan, is that you?" asked Ronald. From the place he was standing, he could not see Tegan's face but he could make out the physical outline . "Hey, I have...."

At WHAT moment?
PHYSICAL outline sounds a bit nerdy, maybe it's good without it.

He didn't have time to finish his words, his friend attacked him with a sword. He moved quickly enough to avoid a direct hit, he #FF0000 ">has to be careful if he wanted to survive.

Has --> Had (if Past Tense)

He saw Tegan's face but it was devoid of any emotions, the way he attacked him its like he was a doll. The sword he was using had a marked of a lion on it. Ronald had seen it before but at the moment he could not remember where.

should be something like:
* He saw Tegan's face but it was devoid of any emotions. The way he attacked him - it was like he was a doll. The sword he was using had a mark of a lion on it. Ronald had seen it before but at the moment he could not remember where. *

Ronald knew he had no choice so he called on his magic and it took sphere form on his hand. He throw it at his friend, it was not much but enough to disable his friend. But he didn't know what happened the next moment he saw blinding white light and everything became black.

I'd write like this:
* Ronald knew he had no choice, so he called on his magic, and a shiny colourful sphere appeared on his hand. He threw it at his friend, and even though it wasn't much, he knew it was enough to disable Tegan without hurting him.
(there should be something else)
Ronald didn't know what happened the next moment - he only saw a blinding light, and suddenly everything became completely black. *

"Shut up." barked the captain."Your friend is dead and we know you used magic here, so I am going to ask you again what did you do?"

It's weird for a guard captain to be so unlogical - first he asks the boy a question, the next second he tells him to shut up without listening to him? Strange enough. In a situation like that, you had to make his question not a question but a rhetorical complaint.
There should be : after AGAIN.

It took Ronald a while to know what the captain had said.

to Know --> t




Draculus says...


(sorry for the codes)

%u25D8
It took Ronald a while to know what the captain had said.

to Know --> to Understand or to Comprehend
Had is not really needed.

%u25D8 Four dots are not needed, three will be enough.

%u25D8
"If you don't speak the truth,you will be in worse situation."

In A Bigger Trouble may suit the sentence better.

%u25D8
"Captain, I would like to talk to my student." said professor Grantham. The professor was very old even though he looked in his early thirties and had enough power that even the captain of the guard's had no saying in it.

should better be
* "Captain, I'd like to talk to to my student," said professor Grantham. He was very old, but looked like he was in his early thirties and had more power than the guard captain. *
By the way, the correct ohrase is HAVE NO SAY IN STH.

%u25D8
"Fine, but remember boy, you killed the grandmaster's son."

Should better be something like:
* The captain hesitated for a minute, shooting angry glances both at the professor and Ronald, but eventually said, "Fine, you can talk to him. But, boy," he turned to Ronald with his brows frowned, his eyes very serious, "remember, you've killed the grandmaster's son." *

%u25D8
Ronald knew he was in trouble but he could hope Zion would take care of her now.

Could Hope --> Hoped
Her --> Him

4) Overall
The story is prospective, so work hard on it.
Grammar should be fixed, especially the tense issues. You may ask someone on this website to edit your work before publishing it.
To develop your style you should read more and learn from the masterpieces. Be more complex.
Make clear connection between everything you write. If you realize that you mentioned something that is not connected to anything you mention next or had mentioned before, change it or erase the sentence.
Develop your scenes, make them richer, add details, improve your story pace to make it slower.
Good luck with your writing!

Sincerely yours,
Drak.



Inaya705 says...


Hi, thank you so much for your review. This is my first story and I know I made many mistakes and you pointed them out. You said that my story was very brief, I am still working on that. It won't come suddenly, it may take more chapters to show. I will continue to improve. i hope you will keep reading my future updates and review them. Also, I believe that I was unable to explain the last line properly.



Draculus says...


No worries, we all have started from something) Please tag me when you post the next chapter, okay, so I don't miss it?



Inaya705 says...


Of course.



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 170
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:38 pm
View Likes
MaxaM wrote a review...



Hello man! You got a nice story and it has a lot of potential.
There are just a few typos that I identified so I thought about pointing them out to you:
On: "Ronald Astorio was a bright student of Heritage High but now he was breaking a rule by waiting for his roommate in the middle of the night, near the forest" I think you could put the "but now" between commas for emphasis and I don't believe the comma before "near the forest" is necessary. Right after that part, there's a "get" that should be "gets"

Here on: "because, there were a few academys where all supernatural creatures coexisted and Heritage High was one of them." there's no need to have a comma after "before", "academys" should be "academies" and I think it would be good to put a comma after "coexisted"

In the third paragraph: "Ronald was not the type of person who break rules but now he had to help his friend, Tegan Castilian,who has helped him on different occasions.", the "break' should be "breaks", you forgot the space between the comma and "who" and I think "had" would fit better than "has".

In the fourth paragraph, and I believe this can apply to the whole text, I think it would be better if you made the lines of dialogue their own lines, and not within the prose, but this is just an opinion. Going to the grammar corrections, right at the beginning you forgot the space between the dot and the first quotation, the "could not" would sound more natural as "couldn't", but if it was intentional than there's no problem, and you also put a dot between two spaces, so you should delete one.

There are quite a lot of small mistakes like that along with the text, so I would recommend that you use some text editor like Grammarly or some other to check for typos and concordance errors, but outside of that your text is pretty fluid and has an intriguing story so far, sorry for my nit-pickiness, but I hope i was able to help.
I hope to see more from you in the future




Inaya705 says...


Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. I will try to improve more. I hope you will keep reading my future updates.




have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady