z

Young Writers Society



The Night Witch: Chapter 5: Natalya (May 1942)

by ImaginaryPoet


Chapter 5: Natalya (May 1942)

It takes me another day to reach the base where I land the beaten up U-2 in a large field just outside the town. As I touch down on the ground, the engine whirs to a stop on its own. I flick the switch, trying to start it back up, but after a heavy groan, it shuts down again.

Feeling oddly sad, I pat the wing, cleaning it off one last time.

“I’m going to miss you, old girl,” I whisper to it, then think that I must be going crazy, talking to a broken-down hunk of metal. Sighing, I pull my empty bag out of the seat and start off for the town.

-----------------------------

It’s a long walk, and I quickly realize that I must have miscalculated the distance. A half hour later, Ism still walking and starting to wonder if I’m even going in the right direction. Finally, the woods around me open onto a back alley. Following the sound of voices, I emerge into a bustling crowd of market-goers, buying and selling the day’s wares. For a moment, I feel close to a sort of peace. While the rest of the country may be dark and depressing with the war, it seems as though it hadn’t touched the people here at all. As I look closer though, I can see a hint of what they’ve been trying to cover up. An empty, dusty stall, a woman with wet eyes, a boy moving slowly with a crutch.

Looking around, I try to spot the base, and although I don’t find it, I do notice a train station, the tracks running a glittering line through the village as the mid-day sun reflects off of them. Standing on my tip-toes to try and get a better view, I suddenly lose my balance and fall

into a girl walking next to me.

Izvineeti,” I cry as we topple to the ground, passersby casting us odd glances. The girl quickly gets up, brushing dust off of a large military uniform.

And laughing.

Izvineeti,” I say again, at a loss for words. “I didn’t see you.”

“No apologies necessary,” she says, her eyes twinkling. “I was actually coming over to see if you needed help.”

“Apparently I do,” I laugh, leaning down and grabbing my bag.

“Well, you seemed very confused, so I must have been correct. If you don’t mind me asking, who are you looking for?”

“What, actually. I just got here and I was trying to find Engel’s Flying School.”

“Looking for Marina Raskova and her unruly band of lady pilots?” The girl scoffs.

“Actually, I was looking for Marina Raskova and the strongest piloting force in the Soviet Union. It wouldn’t be too swell if I’ve come to the wrong place, since my plane just broke down and I have no money for a train ride.”

At this, the girl actually laughs, looking me up and down.

“Oh, that group trains on the other side of the base. I’m actually just heading back there now though, so I can show you. I’m afraid you’ll have to get through Yelena the Terrible either way.”

“Yelena the Terrible?”

Da. She’s horrid.”

“And here I was thinking she was wonderful. As a matter of fact, I don’t think I ever

caught your name.”

“Ludmila Zima,” she says, sticking her hand out.

“Natalya,” I say, shaking it.

“Ooh, another Natalya! To be quite honest, there are so many Natalyas in our group that I’ve started calling them by their last names instead. Do you have a last name?”

I almost say Orlova, but my throat closes up before I can get the name out. This is my last chance to cut all ties. I could end it all now, make it so Papa could never find me.

This is the moment that I can truly start a new life. This is for you, Lydia, I think to myself. I’m keeping my promise.

“Smirnova,” I say. “My name is Natalya Smirnova.”

-----------------------------

Ludmila chatters the whole walk down to the school, telling me all about life there.

I quickly learn that her father had been a pilot for many years and her parents had always encouraged her to follow her dreams, no matter others’ opinions of them. They had sent her to boarding school when local schools weren’t teaching enough, and turned a blind eye when she snuck out a few nights a week to go flying at a field nearby. Then they had both died of some sort of sickness right as she heard about Raskova. The rest, as she put it, was history.

“I will admit, I did lie when she asked me about my flying time,” she tells me in a whisper. “But I think most everyone did that. At this point, you might as well exaggerate too just to keep up with the rest of us.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I say, feeling myself begin to relax for the first time in a long while. I had a friend here, regardless of the fact that Ludmila seemed like the type who was friends with the world. I was going to make it in. Raskova had to accept me.

She had to.

“So why are you here?” Ludmila’s question startles me, and I have to pause before answering.

“Same as everyone else, right? To try out for the new regiment that Raskova’s putting together?”

She shakes her head. “That’s not what I meant. Everybody in the group came from something - dead parents, running away from school, trying to find a place where they could fly without men constantly telling them off or inviting them home, stuff like that. So what was your reason?”

I know I can’t tell the truth of how I let my father murder my mother, that I had left my best friend for dead, that I had run away with no thought past making it into Marina Raskova’s piloting regiment. I can’t say a word about the past, because if I do, I will lose the one friend that I have in this new, clean world. This is my chance to start over, to create a new life for myself, away from the old one. This is my chance to rise from the ashes of the burned out husk of a life that my parents gave me, and build a new one, brimming with color, and beauty, and, most of all, love.

“I just - I just really like flying,” I choke out, feeling heat rise to my face when I realize how pathetic it sounded.

Hmph,” Ludmila agrees, and then, crossing her arms over her chest, she speeds up walking, refusing to talk to me for the rest of the trip.

-----------------------------

We reach the building a few minutes later, and I hesitantly follow Ludmila as she walks towards the back of the building.

“Oh, Natalya, izvineeti. You’re not allowed back here until Raskova accepts you into the regiment. If you go through the front doors, then you can talk to Yelena and she’ll make you an appointment.”

“You sound so sure I’ll get in.”

“Well, not with that attitude, you won’t! Like my mama always said: without effort, you won’t even pull a fish out of a pond.”

I frown, and she nudges me playfully. “Come on, believe in yourself and you’ll be just fine!”

“You sure?”

“Of course. If I managed to get in, you’ll be just fine.” I feel her grab my hand and squeeze it, letting go before I have time to pull away. “Good luck,” she whispers.

Turning to thank her, I see she’s already skipping down a small shaded path, and I smile softly to myself. To have her spirit would probably feel like you were always flying, even while your heels still touched the ground.

Sighing, I continue forward and push through the large doors, passing underneath a large sign reading Engels School of Aviation. From now on, my life could be whatever I made of it.

-----------------------------

“She is not seeing anyone right now.” Yelena’s voice is the same that I had heard for years at schools from the girls who thought themselves above me, and I immediately dislike her. Nevermind the fact that she had barely allowed me to finish my request before dismissing me.

“Is she here at the base?”

Da.”

“Then just tell her that I’m here. I’ll wait.”

“She’s not to be bothered.”

Groaning, I lean forward onto the desk. “Just tell her, for God’s sake! I’ll wait for her to see me, but just tell her that I’m here!”

Yelena finally looks up from the pamphlet she’s been writing on during our entire conversation. “What’s your name, girl?”

“Natalya Smirnova.”

She scribbles it down onto a paper that’s covered in names. “Find a place to sit if you can. It might be a long wait.”

And with that, she lowers her head and returns to her work.

I turn and walk towards a long row of chairs against the wall, trying to keep my confidence showing in every step. I won’t let a no-good secretary think she has gotten to me in any way. Sitting down, I wince at the hardness of the wooden seat. I settle back into the chair, only mostly content to wait. Yelena still hadn’t moved from her desk.

I was going to be here a while.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
542 Reviews


Points: 41664
Reviews: 542

Donate
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:14 pm
Liminality wrote a review...



Hi there Imaginary Poet! I’ve read the prologue and the first chapter and now am here to leave a review.

General Impressions

It looks like a lot has happened since the first chapter, which is good. The atmosphere feels like a balance of light and dark – Natalya seems to have gone through a lot and they’re in the middle of the war, but somehow she is trying to make something out of her life. Ludmila also contributes to the ‘energy’ in the atmosphere. The place that Natalya arrives at comes across as very busy, so it makes me wonder what she’ll have to overcome to get chosen, like she wants.

Setting

I thought the setting was best employed in the second scene. For example:

As I look closer though, I can see a hint of what they’ve been trying to cover up. An empty, dusty stall, a woman with wet eyes, a boy moving slowly with a crutch.

This description reflects the light/darkness in mood as I mentioned before. Although not super detailed, I thought the descriptions in this paragraph flowed well and conveyed an idea clearly.
the tracks running a glittering line through the village as the mid-day sun reflects off of them

^ This one was my favourite descriptive. It caught me off-guard for how unexpectedly beautiful it was, and comparing something like train tracks (which I’d usually imagine to be quite dull and practical) to a “glittering line” is imaginative in a great way.
I thought the third scene where the two characters are walking to the school was surprisingly short of descriptions. It felt a bit empty because it seems to me like they would come across some interesting sites en route to the school. Or at least, it would be nice to see what the typical road / pathway in this town looks like.
The setting descriptions improved by the last scene though, with the mention of Natalya leaning over the table/desk. Even though things like the furniture are simply described, the way the characters interact with them help me imagine the scene.

Characters

As for characterisation, I was a bit confused about some of the dialogue. The tone is a bit ambiguous, which makes it hard for me to form an impression of how the characters are feeling in that moment.
“And here I was thinking she was wonderful. As a matter of fact, I don’t think I ever
caught your name.”

The first part seems to be a joke about how Ludmila had already called Yelena ‘the Terrible’ on first introduction/mention? I was a bit confused why Natalya would mention the lack of name introductions as a big significant thing. I think I’ve usually seen “I don’t think I’ve caught your name” for people who’ve already been conversing for quite a while, but these two have only spoken for a few lines. The phrase also implies that the “you” knows the “I”’s name but not vice versa, I think, so it did confuse me a bit when I read it.
“Hmph,” Ludmila agrees, and then, crossing her arms over her chest, she speeds up walking, refusing to talk to me for the rest of the trip.

I still find myself puzzled why Ludmila decided not to talk to Natalya after hearing her response. They seemed to be getting along quite well before then. Is it because she thinks Natalya is lying/ hiding something and so is upset that’s she’s not being told the full truth? If so, I think a few more hints that this is the reason would be nice. ^^
“Smirnova,” I say. “My name is Natalya Smirnova.”

I like this bit a lot! The way she’s paying tribute to her friend by taking her name is pretty moving.

Overall

I thought this was a good, well-structured chapter. I appreciate the time you take to flesh out how the characters behave, especially with Natalya. I thought there was a good balance between her internal monologue and her external action, such that it didn’t feel like we were only being ‘told’ stuff about her.

Hope this helps – let me know if you need more feedback on something specific!
-Lim




User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:19 am
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hey there Imaginary Poet, I'm just dropping by for a review! I had the briefest skim of some of your other chapters but haven't read any of them in a lot of detail, so apologies if I mention something you've already covered off previously.

I already like the premise you've set up here and whilst I've only had glimpses of Natalya's backstory I think it's certainly a compelling one that's going to set up her motivations through a lot of the story. She clearly feels guilt over her mother, and fear over her father so I'm interested to see how those things are going to shape her, and what roadblocks they're going to cause for her.

The interaction with Ludmila was pleasant as it gives the feeling she's going to be a good friend to Natalya but I found some of it moved a little too quickly. They only meet when Natalya falls at the beginning of the chapter, but by the time they're on the journey to the base they seem to be close friends. Ludmila might just be the type to be friendly to everyone, but I almost felt like we'd skipped a chapter or two, especially when she gets upset with Natalya for not sharing her backstory and stops speaking to her - that's something you would expect from a more established relationship. What justifies Ludmila thinking she should know Natalya's personal business when they've only just met?

I don't know why Natalya thinks that giving her name will make an impact (especially seeing as she's just changed it) but I get the impression she's going to either have to come up with a plan or have a stroke of luck soon or she'll be in that waiting area forever! Can't Ludmila do something?

I love the theme of female strength that comes through here, and the strong female friendships that already look like they're beginning to form. This was an enjoyable read, and I hope to catch some more of it soon!

Hope this was helpful,
Icy





while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind