"Slow"

by ImPrettyDumb

i work very slow

everyone finishes faster than me

grades are very low

And it's not a good sight to see

——

My teachers hate me for being “lazy”

But I'm not lazy they must be crazy

Being slow is harder than you think

It makes you feel like you wanna shrink

——

Everyone in my class is faster

Meanwhile, i'm just a disaster

Sometimes I can’t even finish my work

And it makes me feel like such a jerk

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:52 pm
AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hi, this is loveissourgrapes and I am here to give you a review/comment. I love this poem because I have been called "slow" ever since I was a kid. Slow in school, slow in taking a bath, slow in eating, slow in everything in general. I am so happy when I read poems or stories that are relatable. Anyways, let's get into it.

"I work very slow
Everyone finishes faster than me
Grades are vey low
And it's not a good sight to see"

I hate when the world around you feels so fast-pacing and you feel like a tortoise or an inchworm. When the world feels like a race that you can never win, or time is like falling money and you never get to catch a single cent. Then the third and fourth lines tell about school and bad grades. It is true that having bad grade is not a good sight. especially when both school and time pressuring you like heavy blocks stacked up on your shoulders.

"My teachers hate me for being “lazy”
But I'm not lazy they must be crazy
Being slow is harder than you think
It makes you feel like you wanna shrink"

Thank goodness, I am home schooled because if my teacher called me lazy, I would go to detention already. You are not being lazy when you are slow. It is hard to live when you are a slow paced person in a fast paced world. And it is not you're fault that you are slow and people are way faster. It may be sad that people misunderstand but make sure you surround yourself with people that understand how slow you are to other people. I hate it when my brain is going so fast but I can't be fast physically. Like it just sucks, do you feel that or does your brain become as "slow" as you?

"Everyone in my class is faster
Meanwhile, i'm just a disaster
Sometimes I can’t even finish my work
And it makes me feel like such a jerk"

This would've been better if you have explained like how and why other people call you slow. Not just in school, unless school is the only place where people call you slow. Overall, it is good but it feels cut. Part 2 maybe?? Have a good day/night. Keep it up, young writer!

GengarIsBestBoy wrote a review...

Howdy hey! Gengar here to leave a review!

This poem spoke to me. I have ADHD, and a lot of the time I finish my work very slowly; sometimes I start daydreaming, sometimes I start doodling, and sometimes my brain just cannot do what it’s supposed to do.

The poem moves very fluidly because of the rhyming used. Although, I feel like the first stanza would be better if it were structured like this:

i work very slow

grades are very low

everyone finishes faster than me

And it's not a good sight to see

Now, it follows the rhyming pattern of the rest of the poem

This is a really great poem overall! And, I’d just like to add, that you’re definitely not lazy, so please don’t listen to the people that say you are!

—GengarIsBestBoy

Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:36 am
Mikatsune wrote a review...

Hello, it's Mika here again!
This poem is full of emotion. The use of rhyming has given it a musical quality and it's really fun and pleasing to read! The poem suggests that the author is not being lazy, but rather finds it harder to work at a faster pace. I think that's really relatable. So, don't worry, you're not lazy! Many people struggle with this exact same feeling of struggling to keep up with others while you have this annoying teacher just calling you things you aren't. Trust me, I know how you feel! Keep writing, this poem was interesting and relatable! Have a good day/night/afternoon!!

Rose wrote a review...

Hi there,

I like poetry, it is beautiful and fascinating and you can put all kinds of emotions into it. It would almost be like another world. Looking at your poetry skills, they are very good. Poems that rhyme are always considered interesting. They may seem like just a few everyday words, but your poem has a very deep emotion in it. It's not always easy to create a poem that's really moving, but you just did it.

Focusing on progress and not necessarily perfection can be very hard, but instead of worrying about finishing first or getting the highest grade, try focusing on making progress and improving skills. Small steps of improvement are still steps in the right direction.

Keep going

Rose

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson