Chapter two of Hobble

by Idaisback

Chapter two

It was six-thirty when the quintet arrived back at their school."

Yes! Just in time for dinner" Mali said.

"No! We have time to read chapter two in A beginners guide to the History of Hobble." Poe said with a tone that clearly said the homework was much more important than food.

"Poe, I know that you love school, but common, we need to have food, or we won’t ever get good at our powers!" Ida said slowly as if explaining something to an overly emotional child.

"And we don’t pass to the next year if we don’t do well with our powers, its mandatory." Shelly said in a serious tone.

As soon as he heard that, Poe ran off to the room he shared with Ax and some other boys, and not even five minutes later, when the others were sitting at dinner, he returned with his history book.

"Okay, now we eat dinner, do our homework and if we are diligent we can finis our homework just in time to go to train for our powers!" Poe said between mouthfuls of potpie.

"Um, Poe? You know we only have to be by our rooms at eleven. Don’t worry, okay?" Ax said as they left dinner for the library.

"Hurry! Hurry! We might not finish our homework" Ida teased jokingly as they got their books from their bags.

"Ha! Ha! Ha!" Poe said sarcastically. "Just wait, I’ll pass this year, and you four will be stuck in summer school!!” Poe said in a know it all voice.

"Okay, Poe, we do have to study, but it is seven fifty-five, and we need to get to the History of Hobble classroom." Ida said as she glanced at her watch.

"Poe! We didn’t even get past the first paragraph!!!" Shelly said in a dignified voice.

"Well, I hate to say ‘I told you so’ but, I told you so!" Poe said as he ran down the hall from the library.

"Let’s go, if we don’t hurry, then we won’t get to learn about our powers!" Ax yelled to the remaining others. There was a moment of silence, and then a huge scrambling noise, as Ida, Shelly, Mali, and Ax ran to get to the classroom first.

"Well, let’s see," The teacher started just as Mali, Ida, Shelly, and Ax slipped into the classroom.

"You are just on time." the tall teacher said in a crisp voice. "I was, saying, I am Mr. Josephs, now I don’t have time to learn all of your names, so whenever I call on you, you will say your first name, then answer my question. Now that we have straightened out the name situation, line up in alphabetical order!” Mr. Josephs said sharply. There was a scramble, and above all the noise Ida could hear: "I’m Alexandrian!!! That comes before Armando!" Ax yelled so loudly that everyone froze.

"Is it really that hard?" Mr. Josephs said after we were in line alphabetically.

"Now, there are four powers you can possess while you live in Hobble, one is flying, one is invisibility, another is talking to animals, and the last, and most evil is changing your appearance at will." Mr. Josephs said in a dark a mysterious voice.

"Now I am going to give you each a piece of paper, and a phabulus pencil, or what you will call, a P.P. When you receive these things, close your eyes and draw, a picture with no more than one line, but one continuous line. You will know when to stop." Mr. Josephs said as he handed out the paper and P.P’s to all of the students. When he was done, he left the room. Five minutes later he came back in and took all of the papers one by one.

"Your name?” He asked Ax

"Alexandrian, but everyone calls me Ax"

"Ax? Okay, then you can fly." he said shortly

"Now down to room 108 if you can fly, 102 if you can talk to animals, 111 if you can change your appearance at will, and 103 if you can be invisible" Mr. Josephs said quickly

An hour later everyone was in there classrooms. Ida and Ax could fly, Mali and Poe could become invisible, and Shelly could talk to animals. It is not that hard to learn how to do any of the earlier described, but still it takes time.

"Ok, Ida, do a triple twirl with a super end" Said Ms. Cecil indicating a large trampoline, and no sooner had she finished was Ida jumping up, and down to get the energy needed for the complicated jump she was about to perform. While she was mid way through starting her jump, a strange thought entered her head: Why don’t I think of flying while I’m still in the air? Hmmmm I think I’ll try. And as she was high in the air she concentrated on flying rather than doing the jump perfectly, and then she felt it, oh what a wonderful sensation! She looked down and saw that everyone was staring at her with apparent awe, and she thought, for on heart retching minute, that she would be up flying forever, but no, the second she stopped have an idea of where to go she suddenly fell from the air, picking up so much speed that she though, for a moment that perhaps she wouldn’t live to see her next class, when she felt herself stop, and looking down she saw that she was just a few feet from the ground. When she finally touched the nice hard wood floor there was so much noise from the other children clapping that Ida was temporarily deafen.

The next day, everyone in the group could do their power, yes, Shelly could talk to most animals, Mali and Poe could be invisible, and Ax and Ida could both fly. Though the rest of their year had to keep taking classes they got to take a few days off from school, one at a time of course.

Fangala the Flying Feline wrote a review...

Whoa there, Ida, slow down. First of all, why the HECK did you post chapter two first? Um...no offense, but I thought it was common sense to put chapter one first. Secondly, you need to space this out. Nobody will read it if it's just a huge hunk of words. I'll crit this after I read chapter one.

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire