z

Young Writers Society



INTP, Logician

by Icon


Am I too cold?

Can I be cruel?

Do I try to make people look the fool?

I pick apart every little thing.

Every tiny detail on a shining diamond ring.

And yet, my own care is often left to rot. 

Oh, god, I just forgot!

To brush my teeth, to wash my hair, to text my mom.

And now this whole darn rhyme scheme's wrong.

Am I a bad person? Do I really care?

My empathy's just not always there.

But I'm doing my best, I really am.

Even if you failed a simple exam.

I'm doing it again! Stop judging so much.

Yes, they're wrong, but you should just hush!

Facts over feelings, feelings or facts?

Might as well chop my brain with an ax. 

They preach companionship, and loving one's neighbor,

But I can't help that I'm such a Debater!

Well, not literally, that's a different type.

But you get the idea, it's just not worth the hype

To be mushy, and gushy, and feely, and touchy.

The problem is simple, the solution's right there.

But if I spell it out, does that mean I don't care?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 47

Donate
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:53 am
rida wrote a review...



Hi! Nice poem! It rhymes really well. Just the first three lines were not that smooth. And......
I found one grammatical mistake, but other then that there is really nothing more:

Might as well chop my brain with an ax
To
Might as well chop my brain with an AXE.

So that’s it. I liked this poem a lot. It was simple and nice. Looking forward to seeing more poems of yours, keep writing,

Au revoir!
Rida




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2211
Reviews: 93

Donate
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:31 pm
View Likes
starbean wrote a review...



Hi! Hannah here for a quick review. First of all, I am a logician as well and I think you got everything spot on. I can completely relate to this! I constantly ask myself these questions all the time. The part that I can relate to the most is this one.


"But you get the idea, it's just not worth the hype

To be mushy, and gushy, and feely, and touchy.

The problem is simple, the solution's right there.

But if I spell it out, does that mean I don't care?" I loved this poem. I hope to hear more from you! Have a good day, keep writing and merry Christmas!



Hannah




User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 pm
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



Hello, hello, hello! Guess who's procrastinating on work again?
Not me, totally.

As you can most likely guess, I'm going to review your poem, almost like I'm "(Picking apart) every tiny detail of a shining diamond ring"
Right off the bat, a couple great things about this poem stood out to me!
Firstly, you're rhyming words were really good! "Neighbor" And "Debater" really stuck out! Its not a rule that poems have to rhyme, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it!
Speaking of which, however, I do have a bit of a nitpick.
As mentioned, its only optional for poems to rhyme. But, if they're going to, it needs to be consistent. I noticed that in a few lines, you break the scheme. And yes, in one, you do call it out. However, "Am I too cold" doesn't rhyme with anything either, and neither does "Touchy" It feels out of place, and can break immersion.
Other than that, though, your grammar looks good, and so does your spelling! So keep on writing, and have a great day! :D




Horisun says...


Ooh, you could challenge everyone to write about their Myers Briggs type thingy!



Icon says...


Thanks for reviewing! I actually wanted that part to stick out like a sore thumb, since that's really how I feel when people get emotional, it's a puzzle piece that doesn't quite fit into the finished picture?? If that makes any sense lol




You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.
— Stephen King