SHIFT, SHAPE. SHIFT!

by Icaruss

Wrote it on the spot for a contest over at the Contest Section. That means I wrote it directly into the post. That doesn't mean I didn't re-read it, and corrected it though. It's a nice little piece, I think. One of the shortest ones I've done. I like doing this Sci-Fi short stories. Please read and comment. Please. Puh-leaaaase.

Rated [R] For Fucking. =D

SHIFT, SHAPE. SHIFT!

It begins with a pain in the back of my neck, a wound that opens, followed by the feeling of blood slivering down my shoulders, and a splitting headache, like heartburn inside my eyes. I can feel my body changing, adapting, and it's like torture. Worse than that, even. It never lasts more that fifteen minutes. Shedding skin, I call it. It´s a bit more complicated than that.

Who do I want to be today?

I've been living as Robert Sherman for weeks, collecting his bills, going to his workplace, fucking his wife. The guilt is almost non-existent now, but I can still remember the name of my first one, that first kill which happened out of necessity rather than comfort. Chose him carefully. Not too important, not too poor. Somebody with no friends, or family. Stabbed him three times in the chest. I think I was more scared than he was. His name was Gabriel Howard and I lived as him for months before switching again.

I doubt they're looking for me anymore.

Robert Sherman is a file clerk in the hospital. His wife, Sarah, is fairly attractive. Things I learned from Robert before dumping him in the swamp-- One, he and Sarah met in college. Two, they married while drunk in Las Vegas. Three, he is left-handed. Four, he hates his father. Little details that seem unimportant at the time are most likely the ones that matter in the long run. When I was living as Charlie Burke in Minneapolis I forgot one of his children's birthdays and then the whole thing fell apart. I couldn't stay as him for much longer. Sherman is a fairly comfortable identity. Easy job. Big house. Sarah. I intend to be him for at least a year, but today I need something different.

Movie stars are the easiest. It takes a much higher degree of concentration trying to become a mirror image of someone people expect not to be perfect than it does becoming an icon. People don't expect movie stars to have scars, or zits. They expect them to look like they do in movies. So I pick one-- George Clooney in Ocean's Eleven, and hit a bar. Fairly obviously, shifting into George Clooney isn't the same as shifting into Charlie Burke, Robert Sherman or Gabriel Howard. It entails having to keep out of the sight of paparazzis, and screaming fans. Rule number one: avoid at all costs appearing in the cover of some magazine. One phone call is all it takes. Clooney telling the SunTimes he wasn't in Los Angeles this weekend, and bam, the Service is all over my ass again. I bet they think I'm dead. I'm sure they think I'm dead.

Getting tail is incredibly easy for movie stars. Easier than you might think. I'm sitting in the bar for less than four minutes, and some girl is already buying me a drink. She's a brunette, which I haven't had for quite some time (lovely Sarah is a blonde). I wave at her, tell her to come over. She just smiles, and does as she's told. There's no watching your manners or being a gentlemen when your name appears in billboards. The bar is an elegant place not too far away from Robert Sherman's house. It's also convinient. In other words, not too crowded-- including the girl and me, there's only four other guys, all sitting in the same table, sipping bourbon and chatting about the weather.

"I know all about you, Mr. Clooney," she says before sitting down next to me. A bit too close, which is not close enough for what I want to do. "Really. I know absolutely everything there is to know."

"I'm sure you do, hon."

Sometimes I miss certain things. It doesn't last long, but I do. The sweet voice of somebody else's children, the taste of somebody else's food, the sweet embrace of somebody else's wife. I like to think of them as disposable, and try not to get too attached, but I keep having that dreadful feeling, like I am becoming the person I am pretending to be. I try to remember the way my actual face looks, or the way my life was before the experiment, before the murders, before Robert Sherman, and I can't. I am no-one. And I am everybody.

"No, but I'm not sure you understand, Mr. Clooney. I mean, I am your biggest fan. I got posters of you all over my bedroom. I know your pet's name, your favorite meal. I know you went to Filmore Highschool. I know that you double-majored in Biochemistry and Physics in MIT."

Wait. What?

"What are you saying...? What the fuck is this--?"

"And I know that you participated in an illegal experiment under the supervision of Dr. Elias Cuttler, now deceased."

Can't breathe. How did they--?

"You look surprised, Mr. Clooney. I told you I was your biggest fan. Wanna know what else I know? How about the fact that you've been living as Robert Sherman for a month. Hell, I even know your real name. We've been following you for quite some time."

"I-- I don't even--" Words tangle inside my mind. Can't think. "I don't know what you're--"

The girl leans forward. The bartender is gone. The door behind me is locked, and the four men sitting in the table at the back of the place are already standing up. They're walking towards me. There's a huge mirror hanging from the wall across the bar. In it I can see movie star extraordinaire George Clooney shitting his pants. They found me. I can't believe they found me-- I mean, just how in the fuck did they find me? I think about standing up. I think about running away. But I just want to here what she's got to say, what she's whispering so lovingly in my ear:

"We found the bodies, honey."

And then a needle-- Or something stings my neck. I feel the pain one more time. My head exploding, the four men grabbing my arms, my legs, the wound opening up, the pain behind my eyeballs. And in the mirror, Clooney's face turns inside out, revealing throbbing red flesh. I try to fight it. I try to keep it from happening but I can't, and I move around, and scream, plead, cry, and those four men are still holding me down.

I can't escape.

I feel something inside me shift. I feel my beard growing by the second. I feel my skin darken, I hear my fat burning. And then I look at the mirror again, and see a man I don't know, a face I've never seen before. I stare at him as he struggles and screams, and stares right back at me.

"I don´t know that man!" I tell them. "I don't know who that even is! I swear I don't know who that man even is!"

The brunette just looks at me, and I can tell I make her sick. She waves her hand, mumbles something, and the four men pick me up and take me away. I'm thinking about Sarah. About how I won't be home for supper. I think she'll be disappointed.

niccy_v wrote a review...

Impressive. So believable and yet so distantly unbelievable.

You went into character so well, i really think this should be extended to a longer story. The ending took my breath away, how simple and quick it was, yet brought the whole thing to a kind of humerus ending, i think she'll be dissapointed. That's only something special writers can think of. 8) Overall well done on the content, 10/10 you followed through and every word is so truthful. You outlined the basics of changing identity, and how easily it could unfold beneath his feet, like forgetting a childs birthday, about sleeping with the wife, living in a strangers body and home for a while. It's all so believable it was an amazing read i just could not put down.

The description is so wonderfully bright and deep and open. You don't leave much the imagination.
Well done.

Jstlkuimgnd wrote a review...

This was totally meant to be a longer story. Not a whole lot longer, maybe 10-15 pages. The narrative style, reminiscent, told in short little nonlinear anecdotes that reveal the story in pieces is well done. The thing about movies stars, especially the way it is put, really forms and creates the world, and gives the feeling that the reader is hearing like a first hand account of this life, and learning what it is a shape-shifter does and knows. The whole thing needs to be polished and better developed; obviously it was written real fast. The writing is good, not overdone in descriptions. You didnt let the ambiguity of the first paragraph last too long. If you took the whole history of this guy's little escapade into murdering and stealing people's lives a little further, more detail about what his done, what he likes as a shapeshifter, it would set the ending up perfectly. The ending was really clever and well done, coulda been more polished, but very well done. Reminds me of some fugitive cop show type thing.

mikedb1492 wrote a review...

Wow, that was awesome. The idea itself, shape shifting and all, has been used before, but I liked how you integrated the government or whatever coming after him. Like the others I liked the beginning, but, however, my favorite was the ending. Very cool. The moment she began talking about all she knew about the main character I was beyond hooked. I think you could do well continuing this if you wanted to. I know I'd read it.

enjeru wrote a review...

Wow. That was really amazing. I really like the description at the beginning, very graphic.

It never lasts more that fifteen minutes. Shedding skin, I call it. It´s a bit more complicated than that.

The bolded sentence is just kinda stuck in there. Maybe if you add a 'but' or something to the beginning, it should help.

I doubt they're looking for me anymore.

I like this. I just randomly pops up, and it makes it seem more realistic, because most people do have random thoughts spinning around, no matter what they're thinking.

Things I learned from Robert before dumping him in the swamp-- One, he and Sarah met in college. Two, they married while drunk in Las Vegas. Three, he is left-handed. Four, he hates his father.

And how did he learn these things??? Is he a mind reader?? A stalker??

I also like your movie star deal, and how you explain it. Very interesting addition there.

In other words, not too crowded-- including the girl and me, there's only four other guys, all sitting in the same table, sipping bourbon and chatting about the weather.

Love it! Realistic details are always key. They make the story more believable.

Wait. What?

This is a little confusing for me. It just may be because I'm not a big George Clooney fan like you are. (~_^) Why does what she say cause alarm??

But I just want to here what she's got to say, what she's whispering so lovingly in my ear:

It's hear. ^_^

I'm thinking about Sarah. About how I won't be home for supper. I think she'll be disappointed.

Really, really good ending. Love it!!!

Overall, it's a very great read. It drew me in instantly, and kept me hooked. Keep it up!!

smaur wrote a review...

I liked this. A lot. I think it's the little touches to the story, like certain sentences that just fit together really well in the narrative:

I am no-one. And I am everybody.

and

and

I think all of those lines hit all of the right notes at all of the right moments. Especially that last line. It's fantastic.

Having said that, it's feels pretty predictable, especially the reveal of the Service following him. The character tells us he doesn't think the Service will find him, and the girl follows right after. I don't know if that's an issue you want to deal with or not (or if you're even planning on reworking this piece at all). If you are thinking about fixing it, though, I'd probably suggest taking this line out:

I bet they think I'm dead. I'm sure they think I'm dead.

And maybe replace it with something slightly more definitive and less of his opinion. Maybe he planted a body that vaguely resembles him, maybe he hasn't seen a Service agent in years, or any other variety of situations. I do like the cockiness in the quoted sentences, but I also think that same cockiness could translate if you worked in something else to say. 'Cause the predictability of the whole Service-finding-him thing makes the rest of the story a little flatter; his shock isn't something that the reader feels, the twist of the fan not quite being a fan isn't gut-wrenching (or even twisty) and the impact of the story lessens. A lot.

I think that's my big problem with the story. There's also two comparatively little things, which you can take or leave as you like.

Thing number one: the title. I'm not a fan of the all-caps or the exclamation mark or even the "Shift, shape. Shift!" because it doesn't really fit the story. This could just be me being nitpicky but I feel like the story is a pretty sombre one overall, and the title that you have right now is ... silly? I think there are probably a lot of other ways to title this story, and scrolling through your Portfolio suggests that you're pretty good with story titles.

Number two: the opening sentence.

It begins with a pain in the back of my neck, a wound that opens, followed by the feeling of blood slivering down my shoulders, and a splitting headache, like heartburn inside my eyes.

I'm a firm believer of the idea that opening sentences should pull you in, and that first sentence wasn't so in-pulling, so to speak. I think it might go in a tad bit too long. It's also kind of list-y, which is to say the "pain at the beck of my neck" doesn't really go with "a wound that opens" (where? in his neck? — and 'wound' implies preexisting opening). And the "followed by" doesn't help the feeling of the list. If he's in excruciating pain, you'd think he could describe it in a slightly less detached manner. (For the record, I do like the "like heartburn inside my eyes" bit.)

I'd much much prefer if "It begins with a pain in the back of my neck" is one sentence unto itself and then the following description is a little more ... descriptive. He's telling me it hurts, but aside from the 'heartburn in my eyes' line, there isn't much else except that it's directly stated.

I'm also guessing you mean "slithering", not "slivering".

There are little typos in the story, like

t's also convinient.

Convenient, not convinient, but I think you can probably spot most of those yourself. (And "paparazzi", not "paparazzis".) Aside from that, though, I really did like this piece. And that last line is just perfect — haunting and creepy, and cements the idea of his identity loss perfectly. This is lovely. : )

And by the way, if you want me to clarify anything (this isn't my most articulate critique), let me know and I'll try and clear things up. Good luck on the contest!

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart