Interview: Miss Music

by Icaruss

Zero. The arithmetical symbol 0 or denoting the absence of all magnitude or quantity.

-Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Null. Zilch. That’s the number of people in the current music course for S3. And there is only one person in the IB course. Sadly, I cannot tag that as anything other than a failure.

Failure. Lack of success.

-Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

But why did it fail? Don’t we all love music? Don’t we all listen to it. Whether it’s latin-pop or heavy metal, we listen to tunes everyday. We whistle music, we sing to it.

So, I wondered why didn’t I even consider taking the IGCSE course. Why didn’t anybody I know say to me, “Why, I think I’ll go get myself into Music.” And actually, the only person I know who told me that, I made him change his mind.

But… why? I love music, everybody I know does. But since P6 I have waited for the course to end in S3, as have many people I know. So, while I was eating my lunch, thinking about what I should write for this article this week, it came me. I decided to ask not only myself.

First, I asked my friends. Then I asked other students. They all looked at me the same way, “Music? What for?”

I asked thirty-two people, they all told me that it was a waste of time, or that it wasn’t, but it was definitely not-worth choosing. They all thought the same thing as I did. But still… I could not comprehend it. I started to write the article, but then stopped. Students didn’t know about music. I couldn’t just ask them. I had to ask the one who was behind it all. I was going for the Miss.

I have never seen Miss Ramirez as a cold teacher. But I had definitely never seen her as a happy one. Maybe it was the fact that whenever I saw her talk she was dictating class, and I could never enjoy it. But when I walked inside the music room, into the air-conditioner-plagued place, and I looked for her, I didn’t expect to meet the lady who walked out of one of the little rooms. She was smiling. She nodded at me, and got ready for the interview that had been postponed for a day.

We walked to the music room, a place I thought I would never see again this year, and she sat down at her desk. I prepared to kneel by the other side, but she told me to drag up a chair, and I obeyed. It seemed like I was in class. I hesitated for a moment, and asked the first question.

How many people are in the IGCSE course?

Miss Ramirez looks at me. I rephrase it.

How many people are in the IGCSE course, for Music, in S3?

She smiles, and answers the question. She confirms what I already know. No-one. Zero. Zilch.

But there are people doing the IGCSE course in S4.

I jot it down. Miss Ramirez tries to take a peek at my paper.

What are you writing down?

Nothing. What you just said.

I put the book out of her sight, and look at her. She is still smiling.

So… are you… eh… are you disappointed that nobody chose your course in S3?

She hesitates. Then answers.

What, you want to know why people didn’t choose my course?

I just nod.

Well, I can tell you why, just close the door…

I obey her command, then trot back to her. I sit down, ready to hear it.

Music is a complicated subject. It’s extremely difficult. It covers music history, theory, writing and playing… so it’s not just playing the instrument. So many people think it’s too much. I mean, if you chose it as a subject, you can’t take for granted all the extra hours it requires, it takes away time for sport, for playing for other subjects… it is exhausting.

By this time, I have quit trying to write the words down. It’s too difficult. Suddenly, someone enters. It’s a girl, and I guess that she is in the Lower Sixth. She comes with a paper, and gives it to Miss Ramirez, then stays around doing stuff. The teacher points at her.

Of all the people doing IGCSE music last year… only one had the courage to pick it up in IB. Only she is in IB Music. And she is… in the cultural…

The girl finishes the sentence, “Cultural Head.” The Miss Ramirez nods, as if she knew it all along.

Yeah. You could learn a lot from this girl. She does everything. And she is great in the course, and she chose it because she wants to be a musician… a Film Scorer. Right?

The girl nods.

So the IGCSE course is for people who want to make music their life. Who want to work with music. OK? But it’s not for people who just want to play instruments… I mean, there are 400 people in the Orchestra, and in the Choir. And they are doing what they like, but they won’t make it a career. For example… León.

Luis Alonso León. He almost chose the course, but changed his mind a few weeks before the final decisions were made.

He didn’t chose the Music course because it was too much. But he still does String Ensemble… and Orchestra… and I don’t know, maybe he’ll get into the Choir or something… and he’s involved, but he wanted to do his cooking. So why not? Let the boy do his cooking. IGCSE is very tough.

I gather up corauge and interrupt her.

But people have wanted Music to be an optional course since sixth grade, why do you think that is?

The girl walks away from us proclaiming that it should be obligatory till S2 finishes. The teacher follows her with her eyes and smiles to me again.

But it is now, did you know? S2 can choose whether to do it, or not to do it. It’s an optional course, didn’t you know?

I didn’t know.

I didn’t know.

Well it is now, and I’m very happy with that program, because we’re reading music, and, and, playing saxophone … and I’m really happy about it…

The girl walks by again, I can tell by her tone she obviously disapproves.

So, there are actually people NOT doing music in S2?

The teacher nods. I hear the girl mutter “stupid” under her breath. I sigh.

But it’s not easy, they have to discard some of their subjects… some discarded music. But I’m very happy about it, that way, I’m with the people that really want to do music –or the people who desperately didn’t want to do French- and I get to separate them into groups and they have it more than one time a week, not like it used to be. So they get to enjoy it now…

I nod. Then they start talking among each other, about how the first set does music writing of some sort, and I hear a sarcastic WOW from the head. They quickly forget about me, so I stand up, and thank her for her time.

And you understand now? I mean, you put it in your own words, e-mail me if you need help. But you’re smart, you’ll manage alone.

I nod, say my good-byes and walk out of the class, satisfied by the compliment, but without an answer for my question. A friend of mine is waiting for me outside. I decide to put the question aside. There are other things in life than music.

------------------------

Can you actually believe that this innocent little article almost got me a suspension? Talking about freedom of speech. Huh.

Also, this is intended for a Peruvian audience. In fact, it is intended for a Peruvian audience who is attending a British school-- so don't feel bad if you don't understand some of the terms.

So, what do you think?

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:25 am
Snoink says...

Very vague, and didn't really make an impression on me, mostly because you didn't explain your term. And the italics are confuseing. Who is saying what?

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26