z

Young Writers Society



^0

by IamI


^0:

1, 2, 3, 4,

5,

6, 7, 8, 9,

10,

1one 2two 3three 4four

5five

6six 7seven 8eight 9nine

10ten

=

1. 1. 1. 1.

Zero 0 zero 0

Why Y why Y

Don’t tell me why!

Tell me if there’s a why!

I’ve had enough Ys!

And enough x and zs!

None of this makes any sense!

How does ten compound to one?

Dispense with words and show me

How two thousand may multiply to a line of black.

=

Maybe

That’s

Where

All

My

Hair

Went

Oh well.

=

I would ask god but this is man’s creation not his.

Some may say they know man’s first sin,

But they do not,

Because no man, no women, no child but this one

Has learned the truth:

Man’s first sin came when he wrote zero as an exponential.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 309
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm



I was confused about the poem but I did like the part about the hair. I also liked the last few lines of the poem. This is really creative in a way that other people don't think of
Maybe

That’s

Where

All

My

Hair

Went

Oh well.




User avatar
499 Reviews


Points: 6141
Reviews: 499

Donate
Sun May 17, 2020 9:09 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hi IamI!

It's been a while since I've done any math, so I found your poem really funny because I much prefer words to numbers! The bit about where all your hair went is great. :)

^0:

1, 2, 3, 4,

5,

6, 7, 8, 9,

10,

1one 2two 3three 4four

5five

6six 7seven 8eight 9nine

10ten

=

1. 1. 1. 1.

I do have to admit, it took me a minute to get this part. I think it was the "^0:" at the beginning that threw it off--I can see now that you're applying the exponential zero to all of the following numbers, and they all come out as 1. The repetition of 1 there does a nice job of showing off frustration and confusion! I think it's because you go through 1-10 and then do it again with both numbers and words. "2two" for example, calls to mind 2^2 instead of 2^0, so I don't know if you'd like to consider reformatting this bit for clarity? I know it's hard to have clarity with math, but it's just a possible suggestion! :)

Don’t tell me why!

Tell me if there’s a why!

I’ve had enough Ys!

And enough x and zs!

None of this makes any sense!

I wonder if you use a few too many exclamation points here? It can definitely be a style choice, but there's much more emphasis on one line with an exclamation point--when there are several more after, it feels like it takes away from the feeling a bit. I do really like your use of variables here, y for why, and mentioning x and z. The second line seems a bit contradictory; you don't want a why/y, but you want to know if there is one? Maybe your last line illustrates it all! ;)

I would ask god but this is man’s creation not his.
Some may say they know man’s first sin,
But they do not,
Because no man, no women, no child but this one
Has learned the truth:
Man’s first sin came when he wrote zero as an exponential.

Nice ending here! It sets a really different tone than the rest of the poem, which is more fragmented. I like that it gets more serious and discusses man's creation of math and the exponential zero, which for you is such a sin. Your thoughts on this matter are very clear!

Overall, I really like your formatting with the equal signs to separate sections and your use of numbers alongside words, I think that works really well! With a poem where formatting is so key, you might want to make sure everything is cohesive and all goes towards creating the tone and meaning that you want your poem to have. It would be cool to have a return to some numbers and either 0 or 1 at the very end of your poem to make it seem full circle!

I enjoyed reading this, very funny. :) Good luck with your future writing and your math as well!

-Q




IamI says...


I%u2019m glad you found this funny. All the number bits were me playing with how we associate numbers and their words with one another, personally I think I shouldn%u2019t be saying any of this and just let you think I%u2019m smarter than I actually am but oh well. I was worried that people would read the equal signs as equal signs instead of as stanza separators. Thanks for your review. I have one poem like this called %u2018Rain%u2019, which you can find in my NaPo thread if you%u2019re interested. If you%u2019re interested in my work I have some other poems up on this site for your reading pleasure or displeasure.

Thanks again for the review! It%u2019s so nice to have a longer review on my work.



Que says...


No problem! I'm sure it would never be a displeasure to read more of your poetry. :)



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 433
Reviews: 19

Donate
Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 am
View Likes
potter4life says...



I find this poem really funny like the hair part and the last paragraph where you went like
Maybe

That’s

Where

All

My

Hair

Went

Oh well.


Its like a poem that makes sense and at the same time it doents hahahha




IamI says...


welcome to the world of avant-garde literature my friend!



potter4life says...


IS IT EVEN LItERaTUrE??????



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 1353
Reviews: 25

Donate
Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 am
KahleneTenorio wrote a review...



Hi, this is Kahlene...

I love the last two lines for some reason, this made me laugh. I love the whole thing while reading the poem I understood the concept.

Also can I say I hate X's and Y's? I mean I understand their variables and all but still, why couldn't there be a question mark in its place instead? I hate math... I don't get it...

Anyway, I like this poem about math. Also, the randomness in the poem. Did you really lose your hair or were you just saying that?




IamI says...


I was just saying that, though I never really understood why and number to the power of zero is 1. after an entire day just looking at resources that explain it it still didn't make sense.




"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank