18+

The badly drawn boy- Part 1

by ITSLEWIS

The sunflowers swayed violently creating a nauseating effect, as hundreds of yellow-embroidered heads moved in accordance to the passing of the wind. Vincent swept callused hands through the sunflowers, feeling sticky pollen cling to the crevasses within his gnarled fingers, the colour blooming against his sallow skin. The wind whistled through the surrounding cedar trees, as Vincent orchestrated a silent melody of colours.

An odd sense of foreboding permeated the sunny atmosphere, as Vincent stood alone in the field. On-lookers would have later say that he looked like a tortured spirit, arms held wide to the sun as if seeking solace.

Vincent gingerly held the petals of a sunflower between his fingers, and then with a sudden burst of anger, savagely ripped the petals off the flower head, leaving it bare and desolate. He fell to his knees, feeling the hard texture of the dirt pierce through his trouser pants, and gripped his head with his hands. Tears rolled off his face into the cracks within the earth. He looked at the sky and stood, feeling a bitter loneliness accentuate his feelings of dissimilarity from society. With the cold gun in his hand, he attempted to gain admittance to the land that cannot be accessed by the living.

A sound like lightning echoed through the sunflower fields, as the wide-eyed painter bled crimson around a narrow pit in his stomach, dripping amongst the yellow blooms of the sunflowers. Vincent fell unconscious, shielded by the sunflowers from the curious view of the sun.

***************************************************************************Question:

Is rebirth a possibility? Can the desires and expectations of individuals be transferred from one life to the next? Or is it mere coincidence?

***************************************************************************

The gun was cold on the side of Lewis’ face, pressing harshly into his skin. He stared at the scene before him through a filter of tears that glazed the landscape, creating the illusion that the world was disorganized and blended together, despite having lines and edges.

To commit suicide required bravery he considered, a lone figure within the field. One had to be aware of the ramifications of such an action and the social consequences that came with it, people shaking their heads and recounting how selfish he had been. Though, once the fear of the ambiguity of death had diffused from his mind, it no longer seemed like a repulsive action, but an artistic revolution. To conquer himself and to create a masterpiece, using his blood and organs as items to paint and sculpt.

Though his musings were interrupted by the ground, as it began to shift under his feet, and the world became thick paint, rolling over his body like waves. As it began to fill up his mouth and nose, he heard a mixture of screams and music, whilst his heart began preparing to stop.

Lewis had a vague memory of falling as he found himself surrounded by white fog, looking at a revolving world. “Complexity is an excuse for inaction.” Lewis looked at the spinning world around him, trying to locate the voice, a nauseating image of the spinning hands of a clock, and numbers constantly changing. “Every human being experiences three stages throughout their life,” said the voice, emanating somewhere from the ceiling. “The first being rejection, followed by acceptance, and then finished by exploration of one’s own nature,” continued the dulcet tones, which began to be overpowered by the loud and ominous ticking of the clock. “Wake up,” a childlike voice interrupted, distracting Lewis from the chaos of the spinning clock,” wake up Lewis.”

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:02 am
Steggy wrote a review...

Stegosaurus here for a review!

Wow. This had some amazing descriptions in this short story. From the description of Vincent with the sunflowers to Lewis (did you use that name because it is your username :P) going to kill himself. This is a lovely.

Although I think you shouldn't use asterisks to separate paragraphs since it could be confusing and tough on the eyes. Try a line or a simple dash thingy to show the separating of paragraphs so it could be easier to read; both for you and the reader.

I have a few nitpicks:

This seems a bit long and a bit draggy. Also Lewis' face should be Lewis's face - but that is a simple mistake and can be fixed. What is suggest to fix this little piece of paragraph would be slim down on the description (even though description are nice and all- but don't over do it). Also I think 'harshly' isn't the correct word you should use in this paragraph- maybe try 'roughly' instead.

There are some minor mistakes in this piece that could easily fix if you read over them again and hopefully you will when you re-read this!
I enjoyed this and hope to read more work of yours!

If you want anything covered, let me know!

Steggy

tigeraye wrote a review...

This is completely fantastic. You seem to have learned a lot from Intoxicated, because I find your attention to detail and powerful choice here to be completely outstanding.

This section is so well-worded. It's so simple but ultimately, it's refined. The imagery of this depressed man and how he sees the world is super powerful.

Your leveling out of every single detail is nothing short of amazing. The cold, meticulous scene that you is nothing short of incredible. I have absolutely nothing to criticize with this, keep doing what you've been doing.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:02 am
TheUnknownWriter wrote a review...

Hey Lewis! Kinda late but welcome to YWS!
Overall, this was a great read! The use of figurative language and imagery was spot on. Like Dracula said, it was really easy to imagine this story to come alive. I'd like to say how much I loved the contrast of the serene, peaceful setting you made in the beginning and mixing it with the cold, harshness of the gun and the impending suicide. It has a really great impact to the mood of the story- which is quite depressing. But I was glad that he woke up. It's been a while since I reviewed so pardon me if I'm a bit rusty :P

I'll review as I read:

Little nitpick: The title is not capitalized :P

"On-lookers would have later say that he looked like a tortured spirit,"
I believe the word 'say' in this line should be changed to past tense, 'said'
This line has great imagery by the way.

In the third paragraph I think it's a good place to add some of Vincent's thoughts so we, the readers, can connect to him even more than we are now.

"Though his musings were interrupted by the ground, as it began to shift under his feet, and the world became thick paint, rolling over his body like waves."
This line seems sort of... Long?
I suggest: His musings were interrupted by the ground as it began to shift under his feet. The world became thick paint; rolling over his body like waves.
You don't have to change it- it's just a small suggestion of mine that you can simply disregard.

"As it began to fill up his mouth and nose, he heard a mixture of screams and music, whilst his heart began preparing to stop."
Like the previous line, there is also many commas. Another thing is that you could further describe how it filled his mouth and nose. How does it feel? What was running through his mind?

All in all, this was a good read. Grammar is good and the imagery is on point. I'd really like to read more from you! Keep writing! :D

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:18 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hey, ITSLEWIS! A belated welcome to YWS. :)

The one thing which stood out to me the most was your use of metaphors and similes. You've written a lot of them and I found them quite pleasing to read, the surroundings were easy to imagine (especially all those sunflowers) and your wording added a poetic touch.

Vincent gingerly held the petals of a sunflower between his fingers, and then with a sudden burst of anger, savagely ripped the petals off the flower head, leaving it bare and desolate.
The first paragraphs had seemed so peaceful and happy, then suddenly I discovered that this boy was going to shoot himself. This is a great effect and it especially outlines how darkness hides in even the happiest places.

as the wide-eyed painter
At first I was like, I didn't know he was a painter, but then I was like, ohhhhhh. I get it now. :p

I thought Lewis had actually done it, like Vincent, so it was a nice surprise when he woke up. I understand now that a part of his previous life had been leaking into the present in the form of a dream.

I enjoyed reading this, I think it's great, the only thing that I'm left wondering about is what exactly does Lewis do once he wakes up? The ending feels a bit sudden, and I think another paragraph explaining his thoughts upon waking would be a nice touch.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye