The Person Inside Me

by HostofHorus

I’ve held onto this secret wish,

for life, inside my heart.

A secret I thought wrong ran deep

and thus I could not part.

I was born into the wrong body,

for life I’ve thought it so.

I am not gay, nor straight, nor queer,

but a transgender, now I know.

I’ve wanted all the girly things,

for as long as I remember.

But I’ve stuck with all the boyish things,

for I was told that was my gender.

When I pass a girl out on the streets,

I look at her with love.

Not out of lust, or sex or flings,

but for the life that I dream of.

I love the frills, the weight, the lace,

the beauty of their clothes.

I love the way they feel and fit

and accentuate each pose.

I know they have their time of month

and their own problems to attend.

But I’ll trade it all for what they’ve got,

no longer can I pretend.

The luscious hair cascading down,

the smooth and matchless curves.

I want it all, from head to toe,

it burns like sunshine in my nerves.

The worst I know about it all,

is that none of it can change.

And so I wonder if coming out

will improve life or make it strange.

RobbieFava wrote a review...

Wow. Let me just start by saying that this poem is fantastic. I am so glad that I read this because it touched me in ways I can't even fathom. I'm thrilled that you had the guts to write and to post something so real and so intensely personal. I feel like I literally just stumbled into your head and discovered a concept that I can relate to on some level even though I'm not trans.
I think that from a reader's perspective this gives clear insight on to how someone in your position feels on a day to day basis. It's so hard not feeling comfortable in your own skin and I think that anyone could read this and feel some connection to that fact alone. I think that a whole lot of people could benefit by reading this poem.
The only line that I really think could have used something extra is: "I know they have their time of month and their own problems to attend" I feel as though this is almost a little too tame in comparison to the gravity of the poem and that it could use some rewording.
The other suggestion that I can offer you is maybe to move:

"The luscious hair cascading down,

the smooth and matchless curves.

I want it all, from head to toe,

it burns like sunshine in my nerves."

to after:

"I love the way they feel and fit
and accentuate each pose."

This is only because you were originally talking about all of the physical attributes that you admire and then suddenly switch to the "time of the month" part and then return to another example of something you like.
All in all, it was a great read. I'm not usually a fan of rhyming in poetry but in this instance I think it flowed really well and I found myself head-bobbing to the beat of the words as I read them, which was a little weird seeing as how I was almost in tears. But anyway, keep up the good work and don't ever let people tell you how "you're supposed to be." Only you know what that is and at the very least you have a whole slew of cyber-buddies who have your back. :)

NightWalker wrote a review...

Hi HostofHorus,have a good day!Here I'm to give my review on your fantastic poem!

First of all,I really love the theme you want to present here.It is about the real you(the boy who feel like the way girls think and their style but still tied to some things he often did as a boy.

"I’ve wanted all the girly things,

for as long as I remember.

for I was told that was my gender."

Also here I realize the strong feeling inside that you really appreciate a girl not just admire what they have but also 'the strength or confidence'(I dunno if others notice it);

"I love the way they feel and fit

and accentuate each pose.

I know they have their time of month

and their own problems to attend.

But I’ll trade it all for what they’ve got,"

*Overall,I love it.Your poem is unique,very clearly,understandable and matching with the rythm.Good job,keep writing and I hope to see more masterpieces from you in YWS!Cheers.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:20 am
OMGhamsterdweeb wrote a review...

Why, hello there HostofHorus! OMGhamsterdweeb is here to review your poem!

I. Am. Speechless.

This is the most touching poem I have ever read!

I literally have tears in my eyes!

I'm a girl, and it's wonderful, so I don't think it's strange for a guy wanting to be one.

I'm backing you all the way!

Swagilicious huggles from OMGhamsterdweeb! 8)

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:03 am
Legibletext wrote a review...

Oh. My. God.

Reading this made me want to cry. I love the beauty it expresses. It was so original and well thought out. I also must commend you on the clever use of rhythm. It flowed perfectly. It was just outright beautiful.

Lastly, the poem just expressed so much truth to that of a transgendered person. There was nothing inaccurate about it. Just splendid.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:42 am
AnnaVac says...

This is honestly beautiful. Fantastic job!!!

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon