Coffee Shop

by Honja

As the coffee shop buzzed with life and energy, Alex entered with a sigh, immersing himself in the vibrant atmosphere. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air, accompanied by the hum of conversation and the clinking of cups and saucers. He weaved his way through the crowd, patiently waiting in line to place his order.

After finally securing his much-needed coffee, Alex turned around, scanning the bustling room for an available table. His eyes lit up as he spotted a cozy spot in the corner, tucked away from the crowd.

Just as he settled into his seat, ready to dive into his work, a soft voice interrupted his thoughts. "Excuse me?" it politely interjected. Alex looked up, his breath catching in his throat at the sight of the woman standing before him. She was a figure seemingly out of a painting he thought to himself. Long, blonde hair framed her pale complexion. Skin as white and faultless as porcelain. Ruby lips stood out vividly against her fair skin, adding a touch of vibrant color to her delicate features. Her eyes, as brown as chocolate, radiated with warmth.

"Yes?" he managed to reply, his voice tinged with surprise and curiosity.

"Is it alright if I join you at your table? There don't seem to be any empty seats left," she said apologetically, gesturing towards the bustling crowd behind her.

Alex's mind raced, torn between his work and the prospect of a conversation. After a moment's hesitation, he nodded, a faint smile gracing his lips. "Uhm... sure! Please, feel free to join me."

A brief pause lingered in the air as Alex's eyes momentarily drifted away from the woman and landed on her sketchpad. His curiosity piqued, he caught a glimpse of the intricate lines and shades, momentarily caught by the world she had drawn on the paper. Their eyes met, and he quickly averted his gaze back to his laptop, cheeks flushing with embarrassment at having been caught staring.

Dismissing his intrigue, he refocused on his work, minutes slipping away as his frustration grew with each recurring error message: "Error: ‘Author’s IQ’ Program Not Found."

"Why won't this program work?" Alex sighed, rubbing his temples. He took a sip of his coffee, relishing not only the flavor but the rush of energy that filled his body.

Just as Alex was about to dive back into his work again, a familiar voice broke through his thoughts.

"You know, too much coffee isn't good for you," a soft voice chimed in from across the table. Alex looked up to find the same girl with whom he shared the table. A mischievous twinkle in her eye as she held out a small wrapped candy towards him.

He blinked in surprise, momentarily speechless. "Uh... thanks," he managed to stammer, accepting the candy from her outstretched hand. "I guess I do rely on coffee a bit too much."

The girl laughed. "Well, I thought I'd offer you a sweet alternative. By the way, I don't think I introduced myself. I'm Emily."

"Alex," he replied, feeling a rush of warmth as their gazes met. "Nice to meet you, Emily. Are you a regular here too?"

Emily nodded, a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes. "You could say that. This place has the perfect atmosphere, don't you think?"

Alex nodded seriously. "Definitely. One of the better places in the neighborhood."

Emily leaned back in her chair, her fingers tracing the rim of her coffee cup. "But sometimes, you need a break from the routine, you know? Like now, looking out at the sun setting and the world outside."

He followed her gaze out the window, marveling the vibrant hues of orange and pink splashed across the sky. "Hmm..”

A comfortable silence settled between them, charged with unspoken possibilities. "So, Alex," Emily began, breaking the silence. "What are you studying? You strike me as a dedicated student."

Alex smiled, grateful for the conversation. "I'm majoring in computer science. It's both challenging and fascinating. But what about you, Emily? What brings you," he gestures generally, “here?”

She leaned forward, her eyes brimming with excitement. "I'm an art major. I love exploring the world and drawing them. Coffee shops like this one inspire me."

Atticus wrote a review...

Hi there Honja! I'm Atticus, and I'm stopping by for a quick review to dust off my literary skills after a hiatus. Let's jump right in:

This was a really cute story! I consider myself a hopeless romantic in a sense, so I was intrigued by the title and by the description and was certainly not disappointed. The descriptions of the environment painted a really beautiful picture that was vivid and descriptive without being overbearing or redundant. I also really loved the physical description of Emily, the adjectives used were classical but betrayed the narrator's affection and attraction to her. Finally, your word choice was excellent and kept a consistent tone (that may be the wrong word; I mean the effect generated by using words with similar connotations) throughout the work. Overall very well written!

"You know, too much coffee isn't good for you," a soft voice chimed in from across the table.

In regards to this excerpt, I have two comments:
1) "a soft voice" does not seem like the right way to describe this dialogue, since the reader has already been introduced to this character. I recognize we don't know her name at this point, but something like, "my companion chimed in" or "the woman across the table" feels more natural to me.
2) Something about this as the first interaction doesn't feel quite right to me. I get that it's banter in a sense, and I'm not utterly opposed to that, but it came across as overly critical to me at first. Especially considering their interaction as a whole is very flirtatious, typically people who are flirting with one another will open their dialogue with some sort of compliment. It seems out of character also when one considers that Emily was previously apologetic, so it seems like a comment like this is more bold than she'd perhaps go for.

I was in some way dissatisfied by the ending. It doesn't feel like an ending to me, or even a breaking point. There was no resolution or conclusion that tied together all of the feelings and flirtations that were exchanged earlier. I want to learn more about where their conversation takes them, as it was hinted earlier that they might go somewhere else together. I was bracing for them to leave the coffee shop to watch the sunset together, or to discuss Emily's art or Alex's studies, and instead the story is cut off literally mid-conversation.

It's always a great thing when the biggest critique of your work is "I want more", so I hope you're proud of what you've written! It is a cute piece that brought me a glimmer of happiness, and at the end of the day that's what's important. I hope my thoughts were helpful to you as you revise and/or in future writings! Feel free to reach out via PM if you'd like any clarification on my points or to discuss anything further.

Best,
Atticus

Coffeewriter wrote a review...

Omgomg. This was a great read and had me excited and wanting more since it was quite short. The part that made me most excited is that last few lines since I am doing GCSES( huge tests that play a role in my upcoming future like college) Computer Science and IT soon and my passion is art and writing. I love the thrill I get when I draw and I love the thrill I get when I read about characters and stories it’s all wonderful and a way to escape reality. I want to get to know more about Alex and about his past and want to see what kind of art Emily makes and how their story would spiral out. Great read and I would definitely read any other stories about them!

Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it.
— David Foster Wallace