Main Cell (Part 1)

by Holysocks

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

A/N: I'd love feedback of all kinds. This is a very rough first draft, and I'm not going to be editing/revising hopefully until I finish the first draft *punches inner critic out of the way* Support would also be awesome, as weird as that feels to ask. 

***

I trailed a hand along the wall as I walked. Tip-toeing closer and closer to main cell must have been. It was hard to see because the building had been abandoned for a long time, and when someone had re-inhabited it, I guess they only had a use for a small portion of it. All I could hear were the soles of my shoes slapping against the floor, paper crinkling in my pocket, and the distant hum of some sort of motor.

There were several rooms that opened up to my left, my fingers lost for something to touch. So I switched hands and started following the right wall. The fingertips on my left hand were numb anyway, and they felt gritty with dust.

The hum grew louder as I walked down corridor after corridor, and I began to see a slight glow up ahead. At first I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but sure enough the light intensified.

“Susan?”

I spun around and came face to face with a figure that loomed over me, his eye-sockets darkened to the point that it looked like he didn’t have any eyes, and was merely a faceless skull.

“O-oh, no; I’m not who you’re looking for.” I said, heart still pounding from being startled.

He leaned his head closer to me, as if peering to see my face better. “Jeff?” I still couldn’t see his eyes, and it was too dark to even see his lips to tell if he was joking, though I’m not sure anyone could manage to confuse my voice for a man’s voice in reality.

“No I’m no-one you’d know.” I said, letting my palm flatten on the wall as I leaned into it.

The man laughed, “That’s impossible,” he said, “I know everyone down here.” a pungent smell wafted towards me, tangy and sweet. Booze. I sighed. The last thing I wanted was to have a drunk tag-along.

“Do you know how to get to the main cell?” I asked, figuring I’d make some use out of him.

He stumbled forward a bit, nearly falling into me before I could react. “Ma’am,” he said, “of course I know how to get to the main cell.”

Thankfully he’d been heading there himself as well. I could have found it myself, but it probably would have taken longer knowing I’d probably take a wrong turn or two. He didn’t sound particularly drunk, his voice was coherent enough, but as he took the lead in front of me I noticed he swayed as he walked and nearly tripped several times, even after he started steadying himself with the wall. We walked for quite a ways, and at one point he burst into song. It scared the crap out of me, one minute we were just walking in silence the next: TAKE me to the rummy mill, the rummy mill, the rummy mill. Take me to the rummy mill, where milk turns into rummy!

Thankfully he didn’t seem to remember all the words, so I only had to hear him half-heartedly hum for the rest of the trip. Though it didn’t take too long before the machinery sound was louder and much more annoying than this man would every be. It was being produced by a good-sized generator that vibrated away as a massive fan spun around inside it, blowing my hair into my face with a dry warmth that left my skin feeling dusty.

The man ducked and pulled a heavy curtain out of the way, and stepped through. I did the same, the weight of the piece of rubber sitting in as a curtain/door almost pushed me over, but I shoved it back and came out the other side. The rubber mat swung away as I let it go and thwacked the wall beside it, I knew it hit it hard because I could hear it over the deafening hum from the generator. Once the mat was down though, it did block out a considerable amount of noise.

We were now standing in a room that resembled a kitchen. There was an old-fashioned table-- the kind that looked like it was made out of cutting boards. Three young men sat at the table, staring back at us.

“Welcome to Main Cell,” my drunk-companion said, gesturing towards the men. There was an awkward moment where no one said anything, they just continued staring at me. A game of what appeared to be chess with alcohol was on pause as they continued to assess my arrival. I don’t know why, but I thought they would be a little more professional than this here, and it made me a bit uneasy that they weren’t.

I cleared my throat and said “Hi, um, I have a message for Allen Main.”

“Who’s that?” one of them asked, looking around dumbfoundedly.

“She means Ally, you idiot.” another said.

Drunk-skull-man beside me snickered. His laughter intensified until he was having trouble standing again.

“Could someone please tell me where he is or let him know someone’s here to see him so I can get on my way.” I said, ignoring the laughing moron beside me. He started laughing even harder at my words. I needed to get out of this place as quickly as possible. It felt wrong somehow.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I’ll have to apologise,” drunky-man said, “If I’d known you were looking for Allen, I would have told you sooner.”

“Told me what?” I asked- I’ll admit, I was pretty annoyed at this point.

“Well…” The laughter died out as he spoke up again, “I’ll take you to see him, how about that? He’s in his room- or cell, if you want to get technical.”

“That would be fantastic, thank you.” I said, cautiously.

Deep down I longed for one of the other men to take me there, instead of this maniac. But at least he hadn’t tried to hurt me yet, and who knows what the others would have been like. He led me to a room that wasn’t far away from the kitchen, if I had to I could scream and the others could hear me, but that was assuming at least one of the four were decent.

“Here we are,” he said, stopping at a cell door and taking out keys that were attached to one of those accordion-bracelet key-chains. He chuckled a bit to himself as he fit one in the keyhole and swung the door open.

“Ally,” he said, “you have a visitor.”

There was no response. The room was dark like most of the entire place, but I could see someone sitting in a chair, his head resting on the back of it.

“Sir,” I said, “I have a message from my father.”

The drunk snickered again. “She’s kinda cute, Sir. Brunette. Your favourite.”

I shot a look back at him that I hoped told him I’d murder him if he brought up anything to do with hair colour again. He just smirked back at me. There was a really horrible smell, and I tried not to think of what it could be. The room seemed clean so it was hard to tell. I took a few steps towards Allen and tried again. “Sir?” I said.

“Oh please.” The drunk said, walking over passed me to Allen. He put a hand on the back of the man’s chair and spun it around. I gasped. Grey, empty eyes stared back at me.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 am
Carlito wrote a review...

You asked me to read this a million years ago and I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to get to it!!!

Stories that start off this way intrigue me. You don't give a ton of details about who the main players are going to be or really what's going on, but you build up a lot of suspense about the world and what's going on which is cool! It's definitely a creepy place and I would be curious to find out in coming chapters what exactly these cells are and why this MC here and what's with this Ally person and the message she delivered. It's all very peculiar.

One thing that's missing for me so far is inner monologue and a strong sense of voice. Both of these things are hard to do, so do not despair! As I'm sure you know, in first person narration, the MC's voice really drives the story because we're hearing the entire story from their POV. Therefore, the voice needs to be strong and dynamic. Really all that means is that the MC's personality (whatever that personality may be) needs to shine through the prose. This can be tough to do in first drafts which you're still learning about your character and getting a feel for who your character is, but something to think about for the next draft and as you get to know this character!

There's a lot of description for the inner monologue - the MC explaining what's going on and what's happening, but there aren't a lot of her thoughts and feelings. Thoughts and feelings are my favorite and are another awesome way for the voice/personality of the MC to shine through. So for example, as she's getting ready to ask for help to find this main cell, what's going through her mind. Maybe illuminate a little about why this is important to her/why she's going. Maybe she could mention her plan or her feelings about not really knowing where to go or who to trust for help. Maybe reflect on a previous trip here and how that went. Those sorts of things. At least to me, it's more interesting to read than a play by play of what's happening AND it'll help your reader get to know your MC which is also super important :)

Overall, I'm intrigued by this first chapter (which is always the goal, yes?) Even though you don't give a lot of details in this opening chapter, I think you give just enough that I want to at least read the next chapter so I can try to figure out what in the world is going on here! I hope you keep working on this story and if you end up posting more feel free to poke me if you want me to keep reading! And let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

Holysocks says...

Thank you! This was quite helpful. I really appreciate the "I know this is a first draft" approach! c:

papillote wrote a review...

Hi, Holy.
There were several very small issues and typos but Biscuit did a good job of spotting them.
You do suspense well. I mean, not only were we feeling our way in the dark right alongside her but we could feel the suffocating atmosphere and you got us really worried about what would happen to her.
I liked your main character. She feels vulnerable in the situation but she is very self-possessed. You get a feeling that she is very capable of taking care of herself.
I thought you did a good job of showing how startled she was when the drunk came upon her but she recovered immediately. I am under the impression that she got a little annoyed when she realized that he was just a drunk guy but it's not explicit. I don't know if you meant to be ambiguous or if I'm imagining things.
I didn't understand the 'brunette' thing either but I'm guessing that it'll get clearer in the rest of "Main Cell".
I liked the finale with the deadbody. I will definitely have to read the next part.
But the lines I liked best were:
« We walked for quite a ways, and at one point he burst into song. It scared the crap out of me, one minute we were just walking in silence the next: TAKE me to the rummy mill, the rummy mill, the rummy mill. Take me to the rummy mill, where milk turns into rummy! »
I was totally picturing that in my mind.
Read you again very soon, Holy.

Holysocks says...

Thank you! c:

rosette wrote a review...

Hi, Holy!
Congrats on being my 65th review - hooray! XD
Lately the Green Room has been so clean I haven't been able to review anything, but not this time. Hehehehe.

Anyway. This was quite an intriguing story. Call me weird, but I kinda liked drunk-skull-man. He added some... flavor? to the story. And I don't like the ending. Because it left me hanging and I wanted to read more and you don't have more. Bah-humbug. (It was great, though). But moving on...

It was hard to see because the building had been abandoned for a long time, and when someone had re-inhabited it, I guess they only had a use for a small portion of it.

I don't really see how it being hard to see somehow connects with someone only using a small portion of the building. Wasn't she in that small part of the building? I felt like that whole part of the setting wasn't really established. I don't know anything about this building or where she is, but maybe you'll clarify that later on. Oh, right. One more thing about this. 'a use' near the end of this sentence read a little awkwardly. Especially with 'a small portion' immediately following. I'd suggest changing that to 'to use a small portion of it'. Or something like that.

So the protagonist runs into some drunk guy (the jailor?),his face is way too dark to see, yet she can see his eye-sockets. Excuse me for saying this but I thought that was weird. She can't see his eyes, but she can see his eye-sockets. My gosh, it must have been dark in there. Protagonist and Drunk Guy talk, ending with this: He stumbled forward a bit, nearly falling into me before I could react. “Ma’am,” he said, “of course I know how to get to the main cell.” Then, instantly jumps to this: Thankfully, he'd been heading there himself as well. I thought that transition was rather sudden. And awkward. It honestly made me go, but how'd she know he was heading there? when I read it. Maybe you could do more like a 'he said' or have him actually saying that.

I shot a look back at him that I hoped told him I’d murder him if he brought up anything to do with hair colour again.

Why is she so against him bringing up her hair color? Or simply 'anything to do with hair colour' as you said. Excuse me for sounding so clueless and asking all these whys, but I would like to know - why?

I see you said this was a rough draft, but really? You should see my rough drafts! no, you shouldn't This was awesome! I hope you found some of my comments helpful... if not, uh, sorry. Great work, and I hope to read more!
cheers!
-TheKid

Holysocks says...

OH I forgot to reply to this! Thank you so much! C:

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey Holy, nit-picks first:

Tip-toeing closer and closer to main cell must have been.

you need "where" between to and main. Also I don't think it makes sense to be a new sentence here.

I’m not who you’re looking for.” I said

That full stop should be a comma. I see you do this quite a lot but when it's a verb about speaking after the speech it should be a comma.

“Jeff?” I still couldn’t see his eyes, and it was too dark to even see his lips to tell if he was joking, though I’m not sure anyone could manage to confuse my voice for a man’s voice in reality.

I didn't get this bit properly cos I thought it was your protagonist asking if the figure was Jeff. Just put in some sort of dialogue tag to clear that up and it should be fine.

a pungent smell wafted

forgot the capital at the start of this sentence.

This was quite confusing because of the sense of danger you'd put in so far. I thought it was like some sort of monster. Just stick in somewhere that she's not scared for her life but would really rather he went away.

I knew it hit it hard because

This should be a new sentence.

they just continued staring at me

As should this.

if I had to I could scream and the others could hear me

And also this.

walking over passed me to Allen

"passed" should be "past"

Overall:

Character: Your two main characters are done very well. I get the understanding that she has a purpose she has to fulfil, isn't overly excited about doing and is nervous, actually rather scared. I get about the drunk guy that he's the kind of guy who could seem very scary and unpredictable but that so far he hasn't done anything more than annoying. I also get the relationship between the two of them on her side, in that he's quite necessary. I don't necessarily get why he would be helping her but it's first person and suspenseful so I probably don't want to know anyway :P

Setting: Your setting is very good at the start and the way the side characters are introduced briefly contributes to the setting well too. Maybe a little more about the cell would be nice, add to the build up before the reveal at the end.

Plot: Very good cliffhanger! Good aside from that as well. Details are introduced at a good, solid rate for suspense building and idk how to explain this but even if I hadn't known you already I'd have been able to tell you'd been writing for a while.

Flow: Also good, suspense built well. The only thing was where you kept inventing more adjectives for the drunk guy. It was funny once I got while you were doing, but jarred a bit until I realised. Maybe start with a more absurd one so I get from the start that she's ridiculing him.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Holysocks says...

Thanks a ton, Bisc! C: That was very helpful! I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this but I am having fun. Cx

ExOmelas says...

That's great :D

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein