18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Post-perpetual - IV

by Apricity

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Kannan

'Margo is going to be very pissed.' The thought ran through my head as I pushed open the doors to the brothel and was greeted warmly by a cacophony of groans and moans.

"This place hasn't changed a bit has it." I muttered, eyeing the velvet red walls warily flickering my eyes to the man sitting behind an elevated booth. "Sup, L."

"The usual, Kannan?" L smirked, amber eyes twinkling in the dim light.

"You're still so charming L." I smiled.

"The feeling is mutual, Kannan. She'll be ready in five minutes, she's with another client at the moment." He observed me closely, "haven't seen you in a while what brings you back."

"None of your business, L." I took a step back and leaned against the wall, eyeing him with distaste. L was a man in his mid-twenties, his taste in clothing was horrible evidently shown by wearing a neon pink shirt clustered with neon blue shapes printed on it.

"You can go, and don't forget to tip."

I flipped him the middle finger and walked down to the familiar number 12 door at the end of the hallway, I brushed past a man still buttoning his shirt as I sauntered up and plonked myself on the ground. Laurel sat on the mattress, surprise flitted briefly across her features.

"Feel free to let that hang." I nodded my head to the black lace bra she was putting back on. "You're a prettier sight than anything else I've set my eyes on today."

She laughed and pulled her black hair into a high ponytail, "I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult Kannan, considering the places you go to."

"It's always a compliment when it comes to you, lovely Laurel."

"Flattery, my dear will get you nowhere." She sauntered over and looped her arms around my neck, infusing my senses with the clean, rare scent of chrysanthemums. Her signature smell, she ran a hand down my chest and whispered into my ear, "meet me by the stairwell." Before planting a small kiss on the side of my cheek. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to her, the smooth texture of her skin was like silk against my arm and that was how we passed the forty five minutes in the room. An unspoken agreement hanging between the two of us.

I lit a cigarette as soon as I stepped outside, sticking to the shadowed areas of the street as I made my way to the well. The area was a popular hangout spot for local gangsters and delinquents though it was relatively empty today, must be the increase in patrols lately. Scared all the cowards off. I watched the incendiary tip of the cigarette dim and brightens with my breath and closed my eyes.

"Someone could have knifed you, you know." Laurel said, I felt her footsteps as she came to stand beside me.

"They'd be doing me a favor." I took another drag and opened my eyes, grounding the cigarette into the ground with my boot. "So, what information do you have?"

"I've found a few things from some of my clients but not enough so we can come up with a substantial plan. Sorry Kannan." She sighed and sat down on the ground, brushing aside a few of cigarette cans and empty aerosol cans. "Wouldn't it just be better if we could just both forget all that happened?"

I sat down and flipped one of the cans up and caught it in the other hand, "no, because then I'd have nothing to live for." I twirled it the can around, trying to put my thoughts into some sort of order but as usual I had no success when they were concerned with Jimmy. Memories that has been tempered with remains an amorphous jungle. "You never told me how you managed to get across."

"Yeah well, when you're treated a piece of meat. No one gives a fuck about who you are. Besides, L's got connections." She said, "shouldn't you be getting back now, Margo's gonna shred you."

I let the silence convey all the words I wanted to say and slung my arm across her shoulders pulled her closer to me. Her body stiffened for a second before relaxing somewhat reluctantly. We watched the city lights in the distance ebbing and flowing like the dying light of a candle.

"You remember when we were kids, and those were real stars?" I spoke quietly, leaning my head on top of hers.

"Until corrupted bastards ripped them out of our hands, yeah." She pushed herself away from, crossing her knees and wrapped her arms around them. "Don't comfort me, Kannan we both know it's an useless emotion."

Breathe. I tell myself, don't snap.

I lay down slowly, and put my head amidst the butts and cans. It felt like the old days again, when I ran with everyone else and the only thing on our mind was survival. This was survival too, but survival of a different kind. Back then, I had Jimmy. And snap, just like that my thoughts are inevitable back on the rail of pursuing a futile task. I turned my head away from Laurel and let the tears fall, it's been so many years of questioning and seeking yet I'm powerless because I can't even gain access to the place where it all started.

The anger simmers, heat invades my temple as I lash out striking my fist against the concrete ground. "FUCK." I pound the ground again and again, a darkening patch starts to spread its spidery legs as the skin on my knuckles blossoms into shreds.

"Arian." The fist stops mid-air at the sound of my name, Laurel squeezed my shoulder lightly and said softly, "you can stop now."

Sins wrote a review...

hidere.

I was going to review this last night for review day, but then I got lazy and started eating all my Easter chocolate and fell into a sugar coma. Alas, here I am!

...his taste in clothing was horrible evidently shown by wearing a neon pink shirt clustered with neon blue shapes printed on it.

Literally, like, 80% of people I know.

Anywho, let's get into things! It feels like ages since we saw Kannan (or Arian? I always feel bad referring to characters by their nicknames when I don't know them heaps, but I like the name Arian because it's so Welshy goddamnit). But yeah, it feels like it's been a while (for whatever reason) and so it's nice going back to him because I like his voice. I love the hint at something big going on, and Kannan going on the snoop to find information about something. It's all very mysterious and intriguing, but not in a confusing way (which you can sometimes fall into!) Have you read Rosey's Cat Steps, btw? This scene reminds me a lot of one of hers at the beginning of her novel. But yus, I really enjoyed this chapter. It felt rough and gritty, and I looooooove rough and gritty.

In regards to critiques, the end bothered me a little. I didn't really feel Kannan's anger. He was clearly frustrated, I mean, the guy started crying... but it didn't really strike any chords, or seem... real? I don't know, it's hard to pinpoint what it is exactly. I think it's because it felt a little random and sudden, and it's all over fairly quickly (granted, that's partly because the chapter ends... but still). I think you need a bit more of a build up. Kannan's anger is a result of his recolelctions of Jimmy, right? Something related to him, anyway. You do mention him earlier on in the chapter, but it doesn't really stir emotion in him. Instead of being like WHAM right at the end of this with his anger, make it more gradual. That way, it'll come across as a lot more natural, methinks. Really delve into Kannan's head and bring out his emotions, y'know?

Something that's more of a warning than a critique are all these characters and character names you're beginning to introduce. I feel like I may have mentioned this before... but my memory is shocking, so apologies if I am repeating stuff here. But yus, so far we have been given a lot of names, characters e.t.c. that we've either not physically seen i.e. Margo from this chapter, Sion from one of the previous (though you may have removed that chapter now...), and just a lot of characters that we've not seen loads of i.e. the memory stealer in Kannan's first chapter, but who played a relatively big role when we did see them. As a result, it can get a little confusing when it comes to who is who, who is important, who's doing what, why they're doing it e.t.c. Just something to look out for, really.

Anywho, that's all I've got for ya. Not sure I've been too helpful here, but here's hoping. As a whole, you know I'm loving this, so I shan't gush over it too much. This chapter was one of your not so confusing ones too, so for someone as easily confusable as me is great. Loving the mystery and foreshadowing though, and so you better not stop posting this, like, ever.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Apricity says...

Hello! Sorry for this late reply, holiday workload is choking me. Thanks so much for the review, as for names. I'll keep a watchout, I mentioned Margo in chapter two (but since I've rewritten it so many times I probably forgot which version I posted). The ending was wishy-washy, I agree with you on that so I'll keep that as a future revision note.

Sins says...

Pfft, don't sweat it! Yeah, the names thing is more of a warning thing, really. As characters grow and develop, it won't be an issue because remembering them (and their names) will be easy. Glad I could be of help, anyhwo! :3

mmbmio wrote a review...

Ok, I'm going to confess that I just started reading this story. Ok, phew now I feel better but oh goodness better tell me when there's a new chapter. I love the way you have an undertone of mystery and a situation much bigger than you've mentioned.

Ok, I'm going to nit-pick a little. The flow at the beginning was a little choppy. My recommendation would be to mention "L" at the beginning of the dialogue. it was a little distracting and you already know who was speaking. Also, here are a few run-on sentences that are easy fixes:

"I turned my head away from Laurel and let the tears fall, it's been so many years of questioning and seeking yet I'm powerless because I can't even gain access to the place where it all started. "

"L was a man in his mid-twenties, his taste in clothing was horrible evidently shown by wearing a neon pink shirt clustered with neon blue shapes printed on it. "

"I flipped him the middle finger and walked down to the familiar number 12 door at the end of the hallway, I brushed past a man still buttoning his shirt as I sauntered up and plonked myself on the ground."

" I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to her, the smooth texture of her skin was like silk against my arm and that was how we passed the forty five minutes in the room. "

"The area was a popular hangout spot for local gangsters and delinquents though it was relatively empty today, must be the increase in patrols lately."

All these sentences just need a few periods to make them flow better.

Other than these few things, it was a highlight story of today. Thank you!

Apricity says...

Hello there! Thanks for the review!

mmbmio says...

Anytime!

All right, so I have no large criticisms to make. But I wanted to say I thought you did a great job of more or less tastefully doing a scene in a brothel. There was the feeling of it being kind of an icky, sleazy place, but at the same time it wasn't overdone. No unnecessarily gratuitous sex or anything.

I think most of the other things I have to say about this would probably be answered by reading other chapters, i.e. who is Margo and if she's Kannan's wife or something then why's he frequenting brothels. So we won't worry about those things. But the brothel scene was well done, and the scene in the alleyway afterward was simple and touching. I liked hearing Kannan and Laurel talk about when they were kids, even if it was in generalities like how the stars used to be; it gave two characters in tough/adult/cynical circumstances a touch of vulnerability that was just really lovely.

Although the thought of lying down on the pavement in an alleyway littered with cigarette butts and cans...ew.

BlueAfrica

Apricity says...

Thanks for the review Blue! I really appreciate it, Margo is actually Kannan's flatmate. As for why he's visiting a brothel, :p if you keep reading you might find out in future chapters.

BluesClues says...

Ah, okay. Flatmate makes more sense to me.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:38 pm
EscaSkye says...

...for some reason, when Laurel was finally introduced, this was more or less my internal reaction:

Why did I use to ship Ning and Kannan, dangit.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.