z

Young Writers Society


12+

Deaf

by Hippyhoodrat


We learned how to kiss silently
the peace we made with our mouths, undisturbed

Instead we practiced looking
seeing each other through red lenses

He never had to tell me I had x-ray eyes
I could paint a portrait of his heart on the back of my hand

I told him once, his laugh kept me sane 
he sowed me a pillowcase of giggles
stitched me a blanket of smiles

We learned how to love quietly
I never told him his hands healed my wounds

But he touched my chest anyway
trying to repair the only thing he couldn't feel

We learned how to cry silently
I tried to fold myself into him

Instead he caught my tears with his palm
dissolving my pain in his hands

We learned how to kiss silently
deaf to every sound we were too focused to hear


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hey Hippyhoodrat!

I really, really love the concept of this poem. I think the title is exceptionally well chosen and your refrain of "we learned how to kiss silently" is a supremely beautiful line and I think you should be hella chuffed about it, because it's really splendid.

That's the pleasant bit out of the way, to be honest. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of this poem. I can see what you're doing and how you're trying to do it, but it's coming through as really forced for me. Now, I know that this won't be for everyone - you've already got reviews that prove that! However, I think that it's important to lay down why this isn't working for me as well. One of the things is super simple, and that's that in two lines you begin with "instead" even though you aren't comparing it to anything, which is surprisingly jarring.

This question of wording slides through the whole poem for me. You have some gorgeous lines like "I tried to fold myself into him" which is basically a perfect line, it's beautiful and evocative and clear in intent and image. But then you also give me lines like "He never had to tell me I had x-ray eyes" which is, frankly, pretty ugly. The red lenses you reference in the previous couplet works perfectly well to suggest x-ray and I think that it's superfluous. The second line in that couplet about the portrait is contrived when coupled with the x-ray but is stark when left on its own.

My suggestion would be to read these lines out loud - you'll feel silly but listen to how they flow, what your voice catches on and what you might have to read twice. Those points are ones you'll need to edit, because your brain knows what doesn't fit. If nothing seems wrong and you read it smoothly no problem, then I suggest you look at each couplet and ask yourself "Who is this person?" because right now there's only a bare minimum suggestion toward the characters in the poem, but you can flesh that out with some clever pruning.

Thanks for posting this, I've enjoyed reading it! Please feel free to hit me up if you make any changes or have any questions or queries.

- Penguin.




User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:46 pm
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review and to welcome you to YWS! I’m trying to get more into reviewing poetry, so hopefully this feedback will be helpful. If not… yeah, I guess I could do with some more practice. So here goes:

I liked this poem. It explored a topic that I don’t really see many literary works about, and it was a love poem with a difference. However, I do have a few little critiques to make:

seeing each other through red lenses


Haha, this instantly made me think of vampires. Maybe, “rose tinted lenses”?

I told him once, his laugh kept me sane
he sowed me a pillowcase of giggles
stitched me a blanket of smiles


I love the imagery here, but I feel like the three-line stanza was a little out of place. All the other stanzas are two lines long. Why not keep it consistent, so it doesn’t jar? If you’re willing to sacrifice the first line, you can keep that lovely imagery you’ve got going on.

But he touched my chest anyway
trying to repair the only thing he couldn't feel


Hmm, I didn’t really like this bit. It made me think of the guy as being quite touchy-feely, and assuming the narrator is a girl, this would involve touching her… breasts? I know what you’re trying to go for here, but I’d consider rephrasing it.

The other thing I’d say is that I really like the repetition of “We learned how to… silently”. However, in one of those lines you replaced the word “silently” with “quietly” and I felt like that was really jarring. Also, surely silence would be a better word to describe deafness than simply quiet?

Other than that, I thought this was really good. I’m looking forward to reading more of your work. Keep writing! :D




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:26 am
Rook wrote a review...



Hey hippy!
I really like this. You're a really talented poet.

I really like the images of this, and how they flow together, and how vivid they are. It's a beautiful picture it creates in my mind. I like how it loops back to the beginning and comes full-circle. I like how you stuck to a consistent theme that was easy to understand. There's a ton I like about this poem, and not much I don't like. But this is a review, and I must give some critiques.

I could paint portraits of his heart on the backs of my hands

I feel like the abundance of plural nouns hinders the flow of this. It would be just as easy to say "paint a portrait of his heart on the back of my hand."

I told him once, his laugh put me to sleep

I don't think this is something wrong with your writing, but I'm just a little confused about how someone's laugh could put someone else to sleep. I do feel like it's an odd connotation, because "being put to sleep" is usually kind of saying that something is boring, but if this person really loves the other, a laugh would be the opposite of boring. It would be full of joy. Maybe it would work if the laugh made them feel safe. I feel like that might be a nice thing to mention.

You have a couple "instead" lines that don't seem to connected in an "instead" sort of way to me? I don't know if that makes sense, but like, the part after the instead doesn't really relate to the part before it to me.

The title is very applicable.

And this is all I have! I hope I helped you somewhat! Let me know if you have any questions!
Keep writing!
~fortis




Hippyhoodrat says...


Thanks so much for the review. I completely agreed with your comments and suggestions. I made some changes. Hope you like it :)




Percy fell face-first into his pizza.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena