z

Young Writers Society



The Accidental Rebellion, Ch. 1 - Fate

by Hippie


Sorry I was so late to post this - Year 12 throws so much homework at you, It's hard to make time for anything.

Please tell me how real the characters seem and how I could improve them (as well as anything else you spot that could be improved)

Arthur's footsteps were drowned out by the gale as he walked briskly along the cobbled streets toward home. On either side of the road he was surrounded by walls of foreboding houses, casting muted shadows upon his path. A few drops of drizzle before the storm began to fall as he turned onto a dirt track between two fences. Crooked nails hanging from the neglected timber tried to gouge him as he passed through.

In the distance the sky was smeared towards the horizon by torrential rain. From his vantage point he could see the bleak plain surrounding the town over the top of the palisade.

The gate to his house creaked on its rusty hinges as he pushed it open. Up the garden path he dragged his feet, willing time to halt, knowing perfectly well that there was nothing he could do to resist conscription.

He reached out a trembling hand and pulled open the dilapidated door.

'Thank god your back,' said his distraught mother as she flung her arms around him. 'Where've you been?'

'Just out saying goodbye,' he said, his head resting on her shoulder.

'Come have some dinner,' she said, leading him by the hand into the kitchen.

'I don't want any,' said Arthur, 'I'm not hungry.'

'You have to eat something,' she pleaded. 'You hardly touched your breakfast and lunch.'

'I don't feel like eating.'

'Dear me,' said his mother, tears welling up in her eyes as she placed her hands on his shoulders. 'This is the last time I'll see you for ten years.'

'I don't want to go,' said Arthur, his tears finally bursting from him as he hugged his mother tightly. 'Don't let them take me.'

'I know,' sobbed his mother as she ran her fingers through his hair. 'I don't want them to either.'

The door flung open and his soaking wet father came in. 'Its alright son,' he said, hurrying towards him. 'It'll be alright.'

'Don't let them take me.'

'I wish I could. I really wish I could. But there's nothing I can do.'

Arthur released his mother from his embrace and wiped his eyes.

'I'm proud of you son,' his father said. 'When you finish your service, I promise you won't have to see war again.'

Arthur nodded, looking into his father's blue eyes.

'I think I might faint,' said Arthur's mother.

'Sit down Sue,' said Arthur's father, pulling a chair to her.

A crack of thunder resonated through the house, shaking the floorboards and rattling glasses. Arthur jolted around to face the door.

'It's just the storm,' said his father.

The brass doorknob slowly turned, and the door swung open, revealing two silhoettes against a flash of lightning. The soldiers stepped in, their boots clapping loudly on the floor. One of them stepped forward. In his hand was a rope. His other hand hovered by his sword.

'I've come for Arthur,' he said, glaring at Arthur's father.

Arthur took a step forward.

'Come here boy.'

Arthur stared back at the soldier. He wouldn't be moved so easily.

Before he could react, the other soldier swung his arm back and lashed out with a lead tipped whip. The metal sliced deeply into the skin on Arthur's chest, and he fell over. He felt the weight of one of the men on top of him. A fist smashed into the back of his head, slamming his jaw against the floor.

'You do as you're fucking told,' said the man, lifting Arthur up by the hair. He threw him against the wall.

'John, do something,' cried Sue.

Arthur saw through tear filled eyes as his father picked up a kitchen knife. The soldier was too busy aiming another punch to see him. The other guard called out a warning but it was too late. John pushed the dead body over.

Arthur's barely conscious body slid down the wall. He watched his father scramble for another knife. The soldier ran towards his parents with a sword drawn. John picked up a bloody meat cleaver. The soldier shied away slightly as he made a wide swing with it. The soldier edged carefully towards them, keeping both eyes fixed on John.

Taking advantage of this, Sue took the pot of steaming soup from the table and threw the contents on the soldeir. He screamed, and John slashed his neck with the cleaver.

'Son, are you okay,' said John. 'Son can you hear me?'

Arthur managed a groan.

'He needs help, get some water,' said John. Sue hurried to the kitchen.

Arthur felt his father's hands lift him up and carry him onto the carpet.

Sue arrived back with a jug of water and a wet cloth. She wiped the blood from his chest, revealing a deep purple scar. His father held his head in both hands, turning it from side to side whilst searching for fractures.

'What's going on?' said Arthur's sister Sibohan as she closed the front door behind her.

'Arthur's hurt,' said Sue.

'Jeez,' said Sibohan, kneeling beside him. 'That looks serious. Will he be alright?'

'He'll live,' said John.

'What'll we do,' said Sue. 'We'll all be arrested now. Probably killed too.

'I don't know,' said John, stroking Arthur's hair. 'We're in it now.' He breathed deeply through his nose. 'I'll go ask Black for help, he'll know what to do.'

Sue nodded. John stood and took his coat of the rack. The curtains blew violently in the wind as he opened the door.

John hurried through the empty street in the failing light. He held his arm above his eyes to shield them from the rain. Ahead stood a crude wooden shack. John knocked on the door and waited in the rain for an answer. A moment later, the door swung open, to reveal a large bearded man with a sword in his belt and a mug in his hand.

'John,' he said. 'Come in.'

John took off his wet coat and draped it over a wooden stool by the entrance. As he walked into the house, he felt the warmth emanating from a wood fire burning in the stone heath. It cast a warm light upon the walls of randomly placed wood, metal, bricks and canvas.

'What brings you here in this weather,' said Black as he placed his cup of coffee on the oak table.

'I need your help,' said John. 'Arthur just got beaten up by the guards who came to take him away to the army. I couldn't bear it. I killed the guards.'

'And now they're onto you,' said Black.

'Yes.'

Black walked over to his unmaid bed and pulled a key out of the pillowslip. 'Of course I'll help. It is an opportunity to show the Emperor he hasn't turned everyone into mindless slaves after all.' He inserted the key into an ornate chest at the foot of his bed. He lifted the lid open to reveal a large assortment of weapons.

'Hold these,' he said, passing a handful of swords to John. He then fished out two crossbows and a quiver full of bolts.

'Are we ready to go,' said John. 'I don't feel right leaving my family alone.'

'Just one more thing,' said Black. He strode to the fireplace and took a huge double sided axe down from its shelf.

John grabbed his coat off the stool on the way out. Black was dressed in a huge oilskin jacket. They ran back to John's house.

Arthur was sitting on a chair drinking a glass of water when they returned. His face was purple from bruising.

'How are you feeling?' said John.

'Crap,' replied Arthur in a pained voice. He took another sip of water. 'Does this mean we'll have to go into hiding?'

'We'll have to leave town at least,' said John. 'Hopefully it'll blow over eventually.'

'Shh,' said Black, completely still. 'I think I heard someone outside. Everyone hide.'

Arthur staggered into the kitchen with help from his mother. Sibohan was already there.

Black handed one of the crossbows to John. They were crouched behind a lounge chair.

'Let me make the call,' said Black.

John nodded, listening carefully. Footsteps came up the garden path, growing louder and louder. Then they stopped.

The door crashed open and two men with crossbows charged in, holding their weapons at the ready.

'Clear,' said a voice, and another two sets of footsteps entered the room.

Black listened, carefully determining the locations of each soldier. They were moving slowly through the front room. Two of them broke off and went down the hallway. Once they were gone, Black shot up and fired his crossbow at one of them. The other turned around, and was hit square in the chest by John's bolt. They writhed on the floor as Black ran to the hallway corner. One of the other men came running out to investigate. As soon as he was around the corner Black buried his axe in the back of his head.

The next man leapt around the corner and thrust his spear toward Black. Before it made contact, Black severred the barb from it. The guard threw the useless stick away and drew his sword. Black tried to quickly behead the man before his sword was drawn, but the guard was quick enough to parry. Black dodged a stab by stepping to the side. He swung at the man's outstretched arm. The guard withdrew it just in time. The two blades locked, producing a high pitched scraping noise. Black kicked the guard in the stomach. He crashed into the wall, and with lightning speed, Black shoved his sword into his neck.

Arthur heard cries for mercy, before they abruptly ceased as Black finished off the men with the crossbow bolts through them.

'We need to hide,' said Black as he and John walked into the kitchen. John stared at the ground.

'Follow me,' said Black as he slung his crossbow over his shoulder. They left via the back door. He helped them climb over the rusty iron fence onto a dirt track between the derelict houses. They ran through the freezing rain, the wind blocking out all other sounds, and blinding them to the fact that they were being followed.

A few minutes later they arrived outside an old barn near the edge of town. Leaning against it were planks of wood and sheets of rusty metal. A dense layer of cobwebs smothered the eaves. Most of the windows were either smashed or boarded up. When they entered it greeted them with the smell of mouldy straw. Faint blue beams of moonlight shone through holes in the roof.

Black fumbled in his pocket for a box of matches. He struck one, and the light revealed old horse stalls with the gates hanging off the hinges. He took a torch and lit the oily rag. It burst into flames, illuminating the building in red light.

'Wow,' said John. 'It doesn't look like anyone's been here in centuries.'

'Close to it,' said Black. 'This used to be farmland when my father's father was around. When the town was built this building was walled in. They used it for storage while the town was under construction, but since then it's been abandoned.'

'Are you sure the guards won't come here?' Said Sue.

'I've never known guards to come in here, and it's only for one night. Tommorow we'll leave town under disguise.'

'Why don't we go now?' said Sue.

'Because they'll be suspicious if we leave at night,' replied Black. 'During the day we'll blend in with the traders leaving town.'

Sue nodded and sat down in the hay. 'I suppose we'd better get some sleep then.'

'I'll stay on watch,' said Black. 'We can't be too careful.'

Black walked to the foot of a ladder that lead to the hayloft. It creaked as he climbed up, carefully testing the resilience of each rung before trusting it with his weight. The roof in the loft was low, and he had to walk hunched over to the window. He sat down and watched the wet road below.

Arthur lay in the hay, it's musty odour filling his nostrils. At least it was soft he thought. The events of the past hour were finally catching up with him.

Had he done the right thing? He had gotten out of ten years in the army, at least for the time being. But he had also dragged his family into trouble. It weighed heavily on his mind as he stared at the roof where thousands of spiders navigated the tangle of cobwebs.

The hours went by and still he couldn't sleep. He sat up, brushed the hay off himself, and looked up at the loft, remembering that Black was up there. He could sure do with some company. He walked to the ladder, careful not to be too loud.

'Can't sleep,' said Black, not even turning around.

'Yeah,' said Arthur, sitting down next to Black.

'You did the right thing,' said Black. 'Never let someone force you into something, no matter what.'

'I feel bad about dragging the whole family into it. And you too.

'Don't,' said Black, putting an arm around his shoulder.

'But it's for my sake that my family is suffering,' said Arthur, studying the patterns left in the wall by termites over the years.

'Your father loves you very much,' said Black. 'There aren't many people who have the love and the courage to stand up against the Empire to protect someone. He'd never want you to feel guilty about this.'

Arthur let out a sigh.

'Besides,' said Black, a hint of cheeriness invading his voice, 'wherever we go can't be worse than this right?'

'How did the Empire start?' said Arthur. 'Who'd want to create something so terrible?'

'Well,' began Black, clasping his hands. 'The Empire was founded sixty odd years ago. Before that, the land was covered by small peaceful villages. Nobody knew of war or famine.

'Emperor Julian Cajun was nineteen at the time. His hunger for power was unknown by people then. His goal was to unite the villages under him, so he could rule the world.'

'Why did people let him do it though?' said Arthur.

'He was cunning. He proposed that his village unite with a neighbouring one. Of course, in their ignorance the people agreed, seeing only the benefits of trade and increased wealth.

Cajun was hailed as a hero when the union became rich and plentiful. Droves of people moved there,seeking their own share in the abundance. It also inspired other villages to unite, until there were three unions, Cajun's being by far the most powerful.'

'Then he crushed the others?' said Arthur.

'Not quite,' said Black. 'He commanded them to join him. One of them did, the other refused. Cajun wasn't happy, and decided to take the third union by force. However, he had no army as of yet. No bloodshed had been necessary so far. So he announced that all men in his kingdom aged between twenty and twenty five must come to him. Not being used to obeying such orders, most didn't come.

'Cajun needed to show his subjects who was boss. His method was simple – kill all those who didn't show up, make those who did into officers, and levy all men aged fifteen to twenty five. Out of fear they came.

'The other union, had no leader. Instead the people voted on everything. They were divided over whether to succumb or fight back, and their division was their downfall.'

'Where you around then?' said Arthur

'My father was one of the ones killed for not showing up,' said Black.

'Oh,' said Arthur, 'I'm sorry.'

'It's alright,' said Black, taking a deep breath. 'My mother and I fled our home. I grew up on the border of the Empire where their grasp was weak. There was rarely a year without bloodshed. I saw the Empire's evil with my own eyes as it greedily tried to expand its borders into neighbouring countries.

When I turned seventeen, I became a mercenary with some mates. We were hired by the neighbouring kingdom Arbadras in the fight against the Empire. I sure saw some bloody battles and lost a lot of friends. We were pushed back in to the Northern deserts, where Arbadras lies today. Back then it occupied much of the Empire's lands.'

'I always thought you were in Cajun's army,' said Arthur.

'No,' replied Black firmly. 'Never have been, never will be. I fought against them.'

'Oh.'

'After four years of fighting, I was captured and taken to the heart of the Empire as a slave to work on the Emperor's citadel. We were whipped and mistreated for years, until the citadel was finally completed. It is completely impenetrable, with flawless defences. Only sheer numbers could overwhelm such a structure.'

The ladder creaked. They turned around and saw John climb into the loft. 'Hey,' he said 'You guys ought to get some sleep, I'll take over the watch.'

'Come on,' said Black, 'A good night's sleep'll do us good. Big day ahead.'

Arthur crawled to the ladder and lowered himself onto it. Black waited at the top. The ladder was rough but dry. The rain still bucketed down outside, but the thatched roof silenced it somewhat, and the barn's atmosphere was warm despite the abundance of leaks and cobwebs. Arthur settled down in the hay and fell asleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 15966
Reviews: 134

Donate
Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:48 am
Hippie says...



Thank you Midnight, don't feel bad about being late. Dream helped me out in the meantime so I've been editing taking into account her advice. I'll be on holiday next week but I'll take my laptop in the car and do some more editing, and be sure to include the advice you've given me.

I've already changed a lot since the version you reviewed but I still think much of what you said applies. Once I've got it all updated and I get back home I'll post the latest version.

Until then I'll be editing.

Thanks Midnight, don't feel guilty.

PS - I hope you didn't get your homework in late for my sake.

PPS - You said I could throw a virtual book or pen or story to critique. I won't throw anything, but feel free to critique any of the other chapters I've done so far. They'll be under related items at the top of this post. Don't do that instead of your late homework though, otherwise I'll be the one feeling guilty.

PPPS - I saw 2 books with "s as quotation marks. I think I'll use them now simply because if I change my mind again I can click replace all, but with 's if I replace all then I'll lose all my apostrophes.




Random avatar

Points: 690
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 pm
ajwilli987 says...



It was very constructive,different from the usual work I have seen.The characters seem realistic,and your vocabulary is quite exstenive.I like this chapter very much for a dialouge story.On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this a 9.




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 1190
Reviews: 200

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:58 am
MidnightVampire wrote a review...



I'm late I'm late I'm late! I'm late for a very important date. That's how I feel, along with my reviews, my math homework and everything has been late. In fact, this is even later, because I had made this detailed review for you ( I felt extra guilty because I'm already so late doing this)...So, onto the review, which is terribly terribly late (I apologize, you can throw a virtual book or pen or story for me to critique for me to make it up to you).

Hippie wrote:Arthur's footsteps were drowned out by the gale as he walked briskly along the cobbled streets toward home. On either side of the road he was surrounded by walls of foreboding houses, casting muted shadows upon his path. A few drops of drizzle before the storm began to fall as he turned onto a dirt track between two fences. Crooked nails hanging from the neglected timber tried to gouge him as he passed through

I loved the description that you put into the paragraph here. :P I can see the world around me. There are a few problems. So, the smaller one, is the bolded word. 'Muted shadows' To me, the word does not fit here. I would say that foreboding fits better, but I wouldn't use that one because you did only a couple words ago. I'm sure you can find a better word than the one you used, after all, you're a good writer, you can do waaay better.
2.) This seems very peacefull, too peacefull, in my opinion. At first when I went through this again I thought that he'd be more stressed if he knew that he was going to bail. But then I thought, "What if he doesn't know yet?" but its still too calm. Even if he didn't know, he's still been stressed out about this because he knows that he's going to be taken away. So either way, I still think its too calm. Do ya get me? :wink:

'I don't want to go,' said Arthur, his tears finally bursting from him as he hugged his mother tightly. 'Don't let them take me.'

'I know,' sobbed his mother as she ran her fingers through his hair. 'I don't want them to either.'

The door flung open and his soaking wet father came in. 'Its alright son,' he said, hurrying towards him. 'It'll be alright.'

So I have to point something out. I usually don't notice these things until I read it the second time around, but how does his dad know what they're crying about. I'm sure they've been worried about it for quite some time, it still doesn't make sense. Even some of my friends who know what I'm worried about almost 24-7 don't immediatly know what I'm worried about. So instead, I'm thinking it'd be more like this in real life (You can make the quotation marks your way, of course):

"I don't want to go," Arthur said, and tears burst from his eyes before he had even finished his sentence. He hugged his mother tightly, "Don't let them take me. Please." He begged inbetween his sobs.
"I know son," she said, and ran her hands through his (give description of hair) hair. "I don't want them to either." The door opened and for a few seconds, neither of the two knew whether it was the guards, taking him away from his life to the war-life, or someone else. Thankfully, it was Arthur's father,
soaking wet from the rain.
"What's the matter?" He asked, and rushed over to the crying huddle. "Is this about the drafting? I'm sure it'll be alright. I'm sure."
Do you see the difference? :?:
The brass doorknob slowly turned, and the door swung open, revealing two silhoettes against a flash of lightning. The soldiers stepped in, their boots clapping loudly on the floor. One of them stepped forward. In his hand was a rope. His other hand hovered by his sword.

'I've come for Arthur,' he said, glaring at Arthur's father.

Arthur took a step forward.

'Come here boy.'

Arthur stared back at the soldier. He wouldn't be moved so easily.

Before he could react, the other soldier swung his arm back and lashed out with a lead tipped whip. The metal sliced deeply into the skin on Arthur's chest, and he fell over. He felt the weight of one of the men on top of him. A fist smashed into the back of his head, slamming his jaw against the floor.

'You do as you're fucking told,' said the man, lifting Arthur up by the hair. He threw him against the wall.

I see many problems with this paragraph. Lets start with problem one (bolded). You've got two sentences that clash. First he takes a step towards the guards, then a couple lines down you say 'He wouldn't be moved so easily.' Clashing sentences. Choose your pick, is he going to move or not.
2). So, even if he doesn't move, the soldier's reactions don't make sense. So, he stopped, it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't go. I think that maybe the soldiers would repeat themselves (or one of them would say it) with more malice and authority. Then, maybe looks at the door, or shifts away from them, then they'd have this reaction. If he did step foward, they would be more relaxed, and they'd be a little bit less commanding because they want him to join. Alright, that was complicated I guess, so just PM me if you don't get a word I'm saying.

Arthur's barely conscious body slid down the wall. He watched his father scramble for another knife. The soldier ran towards his parents with a sword drawn. John picked up a bloody meat cleaver. The soldier shied away slightly as he made a wide swing with it. The soldier edged carefully towards them, keeping both eyes fixed on John.

You were doing so well before this. Just look at the words I bolded. All the same, right? I'm not going to expand on this much because I hit you with the repetition explanation last time, but please find some other words instead.

Taking advantage of this, Sue took the pot of steaming soup from the table and threw the contents on the soldeir. He screamed, and John slashed his neck with the cleaver.

Wait...there was a pot of steaming soup in the kitchen? Detail, details! I crave your details and descriptions. These details are especially important, I never even knew there was a pot of steaming hot soup.

Black walked over to his unmaid bed and pulled a key out of the pillowslip. 'Of course I'll help. It is an opportunity to show the Emperor he hasn't turned everyone into mindless slaves after all.' He inserted the key into an ornate chest at the foot of his bed. He lifted the lid open to reveal a large assortment of weapons.

I already like black. :D :D :D


A few minutes later they arrived outside an old barn near the edge of town. Leaning against it were planks of wood and sheets of rusty metal. A dense layer of cobwebs smothered the eaves. Most of the windows were either smashed or boarded up. When they entered it greeted them with the smell of mouldy straw. Faint blue beams of moonlight shone through holes in the roof.

Again, I love the description. *thumbs up* ----> :smt023

'Can't sleep,' said Black, not even turning around.

I think you meant: "Can't sleep?"
(but really, its stll in your odd quotation marks.)

Description!! :)
Your description turned out to be amazing, but sometimes it lacked it where it shouldn't have. By this, I'm refering to the fight scenes. There's virtually no detail. I gotta admit, I like detail, even if they details are incredibly gory and morbid.

Pace
This part of the story was amazingly fast paced. Not in a good way, I'm afraid. I could follow it, but it was so fast paced that it became insane how quickly things happened. I don't like books that drone on and on and don't take of until the last five minutes, but a story or book that's too quickly paced looses readers at an alarmingly fast rate.

Characters
I love Black. It seems that you took much more time on him than any other character. At the end of this chapter, he really does feel much more real, because you gave him a past. The other characters seem slightly to durastically more unrealistic. The second more realistic is Arthur, but I'd still suggest doing more work on all of them and cranking out those dreaded character charts. They do help, even if you will never use the information of their favorite color, favorite dinner, or best memory.

Reactions
The biggest thing that made these characters seem like cardboard is the way the reacted to situations. Here's an example at reactions at your worst:
'What's going on?' said Arthur's sister Sibohan as she closed the front door behind her.

'Arthur's hurt,' said Sue.

'Jeez,' said Sibohan, kneeling beside him. 'That looks serious. Will he be alright?'

'He'll live,' said John.

'What'll we do,' said Sue. 'We'll all be arrested now. Probably killed too.

Lets review the situation here. Sibohan comes into the room and there are two dead soldiers in the house (and if they're not there, where'd they put them), her brother is barely consious, starting to bruise, and possibly bleeding, John probably doesn't look so swell either. And all she says is 'what's going on?'. Her head is probably filled with questions. Even if she's used to seing violence and death on the streets, its not likely that she'd have so little a reaction because the soldiers are dead in her home, and her brother has definetly see better days.
Her mom just witness the murder. The way she says it makes it seem as if she's shrugging it off. "oh, well. I may be wanted now, but the world'll go on and I have more important things to do. Who wants some dinner?"
Sorry, that was terribly harsh. Just a tip: imagine yourself as the character and see how you would react (or how they might react according to their personality.)
I hope this wasn't too mean. Please, please please don't be discouraged about it. You're a good writer.
PM me on any questions or comments you may have. Again, I'm sorry if I was mean.
~MidnightVampire




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 15966
Reviews: 134

Donate
Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:32 am
Hippie says...



Thanks for your help Dream

I don't really want to change the POV. Arthur is meant to be the main character, even though there's a bit of overlap. I think it would be a little confusing if chapter one was from Black's perspective when the rest of the story is mainly from Arthur's.

I also want Arthur to be the main character because of his age - the protagonist grow and change throughout the story, and late teens is a good age for that because it's when one comes of age so to speak. Black is already in his late forties, and his time has been and gone. He functions more as the "mentor" archetype.

I've cut this down to its bare basics with my first edit, next step seems to be to build up the complexity and detail again (In a artistic and 3rd drafty manner; not a messy 1st drafty way like before I stripped it down)

:D




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 198

Donate
Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:36 am
Dreamworx95 says...



Sue and Sibohan are probably the most 2 dimensional because my understanding of the female mind is somewhat limited.


That's okay, this is a typical flaw in most males :D

I'm glad to hear that you are going to come back and work on the characters. I think they need some serious help with their lack of personalities.

I really just go into his perspective so I can introduce Black.


If that's the case, why don't you write the first chapter from Black's perspective? Like you said, you hate seeing more black than red on a page. In my opinion, re-do the whole thing from Black's pov. "Black was sitting innocently in his warehouse when suddenly a madman burst in through the door..." or something. Idk...

Thanks heaps for the advice, and you won't get an angry letter with endless profanities as you suggested I might do.


Good, good! I don't think I've ever gotten an angry letter full of profanities from anyone I've given reviews to, but definitely a couple of angry letters (no profanities) *shrugs innocently* Just telling it how it is...

Anyways, I'm glad to hear the advice I gave you didn't discourage you. That's the last thing I want to do to my fellow writers.

By the way, just call me Dream.

Dream.




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 15966
Reviews: 134

Donate
Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 am
Hippie says...



Thanks Dreamworx95 for the review you described as "harsh"

The harsher the better. Expose my story's every weakness, that's the best way for me to improve it; You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes.

In my next edit, I'll try and slow down the pacing so the reader can keep up, flesh it out with more detail, and introduce characters more slowly. I agree about Black being the most real character, he's my favourite and most thought out. Sue and Sibohan are probably the most 2 dimensional because my understanding of the female mind is somewhat limited.

I had the plotline of the first three chapters (including prologue) set in stone when I started this story. I knew what I wanted to happen and all, but after that I made it up as I went, so once I get chapter 3 edited and posted It should flow with the characters a bit better. I'll have to do some heavy editing of the first chapters eventually to make things work.

I think my knowledge of the characters has increased and will continue to increase as I write, and I'll edit that knowledge back into the earlier chapters as I go. For example, I didn't discover Black's fatal flaw until he dies on page 75 of my first draft. Then I realised that his overconfidence and lack of caution that got him killed was with him the whole time, so now as I go through with a red pen (up to page 32 so far) I try to foreground this flaw. Hopefully the other characters have developed subconsciously over the course of the story too, so I can edit those well developed elements back into the beggining as I discover them.

I won't do the chapter fully from John's perspective because the only appearance he makes in the next chapter is when he dies, so It would be a waste to go into too much detail about him when he has no part in the rest of the story - He's just a minor character. I really just go into his perspective so I can introduce Black. I thought it would be best to do that so I could introduce Black in his home (which says something about him), rather than describing him from Arthur's point of view when he comes in the door.

I think I overdid the chopping out of unnesecary stuff in this chapter, which would account for what you said about bits missing, I'll try to be more lenient in future chapters, which will be hard. Some authors hate cutting anything out of their first draft. I on the other hand get all strung out if there's more black than red on a page and search for something to cut out or change; A habit I need to kick.

Thanks heaps for the advice, and you won't get an angry letter with endless profanities as you suggested I might do.




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 198

Donate
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:28 am
Dreamworx95 wrote a review...



Whew! Okay, lots to say about this one.

I have to say, I commend you for gram&spell perfection. I couldn't find anything wrong with it grammar wise. Sentences read smoothly as well.

Now, for the nasty part. I'm warning you, I'm going to tear this thing apart from head to toe.

The first thing I want to adress is all the conflicts going on on this single chapter. Too much happens. In fact, I couldn't even finish the entire chapter because I couldn't keep track of all that was transpiring. First, Arthur comes home to his mom and dad, then two soldiers show up, they beat Arthur, and then his dad kills them, then Arthur's sister pops out of the blue, then John goes to a guy named Black (whoever that is), then they go back to his house, fight off two more guards, and then they go to some other place...yeah, that was about the point where I stopped. Get what I'm saying? It's hard to focus on all aspects of the story when all of this stuff is going on.

Here is what I recommend you do: feed the readers a little bit at a time. Instead of posting this entire chapter as it is right now, I would break it down into parts. If I were you, I would post up the beginning, where Arthur comes home to his mother and father, and then stop it where the first two soldiers arrive, leaving us with a mystery in mind (or you could cover the first fight scene if you wish, but STOP IT THERE). Then, you can add all the details to that part and make it completely amazing, as I know it can be. That way, our minds aren't scrambling like eggs in a frying pan, trying to remember what the heck happened. I guarantee you that with this much action and conflicts, readers aren't going to remember much that happened in chapter one once you post chapter two. Thus, they will forget the entire story and they'll be lost by the final chapter.

Now that that's out of the way, the next thing I want to talk about is the character introductions. They are completely random. One minute they're not there, the next, they are. Examples:

'Thank god your back,' said his distraught mother as she flung her arms around him. 'Where've you been?'

The door flung open and his soaking wet father came in. 'Its alright son,' he said, hurrying towards him. 'It'll be alright.'

'What's going on?' said Arthur's sister Sibohan as she closed the front door behind her.


:!: *flinches* Yeesh! Where the heck did they come from?

However, I do think you introduced Black nicely. I would follow that example for the rest of the characters. Describe what they look like, the expressions on their faces, their body language. Was Arthur's mother crying her sorrow? Did his John's face turn red with fury when the soldiers burst in for his son? Did a wave of pronounced shock cross over Sibohan's face when she saw her brother lying on the ground, bleeding? Details, brotha, details!

As for their realness...I do think they fall short, personality wise. I don't think you've discovered their characters yet. I don't see what makes them all special and unique. The only person I really felt was "real" was Black. But, sadly, no one else. I'm not really sure how to help you out there. I guess what it all comes down to is describing their notions, expressions and dialogue well.

Just an opinion (you can disregard it if you wish): Do you have a plot line set in stone? If that's the case, that's probably why the characters don't seem very real. Usually, it's the characters that make the decisions, the plans, thus creating their own plot line. You might discover that, as you write the story, your characters may want to do something other than what you had in mind.

What I found interesting was how the chapter started out from Arthur's perspective, and then switched to his father's side of the road almost instantly. Why the switch? In my opinion, I would have found it much more intriguing if you wrote this entire chapter from John's perspective...how he felt when his son walked through the door, what he was thinking when the soldiers came in, why he went to Black...just my opinion.

One last thing: I didn't really see some parts taking place in my mind. In some parts it felt like I was listening to a scratched up audio tape in the middle of a court room, or watching an old film in a theatre but parts of the roll are missing. Like I said, a lot of scenes are lacking the necessary detail to paint a picture. Example:

Arthur saw through tear filled eyes as his father picked up a kitchen knife. The soldier was too busy aiming another punch to see him. The other guard called out a warning but it was too late. John pushed the dead body over.


Mainly, there's a major gap in between "...it was too late" and "John pushed the dead body over." I'm one of those people wants all the gory details, so please, tell us he stabbed him in the spine and blood streamed out like a gushing river. There were many other parts like this as well.

So...I think that's about all the criticizing I have for you, my dear. Please, please, PLEASE, don't be discouraged. I really did like this story. I wish I could have kept up with it all, really. I loved the beginning, specifically the part about Arthur wanting his mommy to protect him. Awww, so heartwarming. Normally, we don't see that kind of thing in soldiers. They're usually hardened in battle. So to see a side of a soldier that's scared and sensitive is very endearing.

I do have some more things to say...but they're irrelevant, I think, just unwanted opinions. If you'd like to hear those unwanted opinions, however, feel free to PM me. I love getting feedback of my feeback. So if you ever get the time, send me a message with what you think about my advice. If I get an angry letter with endless profanities, I'll understand completely, my friend. I gave you a pretty harsh review.

Ciao babe, and keep dreamin'

Dream.





I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault