Tree Personalities

by HiddenMask

There are many types of trees.

Each with their own personality.

You won't find two beeches of the same quality.

But here is a short description of trees I know of, at least the ones I know enough to write about.

Blue Beech, for instance. Oft nicknamed the 'muscle tree' for his hard, sinuous curves. He may wrap you up in his strong, white arms for a time, green hair smelling of the sea. But he is a fickle lover. Soon, with a shake of his leafy head, he'll be laughing with another. He is carefree, but also uncaring. He's strong, though. He'll weather through another jaded lover. He envies mankind's flesh. So soft, so supple, so unlike his own hard, smooth frame. He loves the taste of humans.

He may even love you, for a time.

But I recommend a more steadfast husband.

Pine, perhaps. Shy, sensitive, all things that Beech is not. He will warm you with his tentative smile, the way he alwyas tries to tame his dark, spikey, scented hair. He would hold your hand forever, if he could. Always he would listen to your thoughts, so quiet, so kind. He would love you in a way that Blue Beech, for all his strength would not. Didn't a wise philosopher once say that true strength lies within vulnerability? Pine's dark eyes, icey blue as winter, would always see your true feelings. He would shelter you forever beneath his wide, scented boughs.

For an evergreen tree has everlasting love.

But humans do not last forever.

Would you make him cry for you just for a few yeras of happiness?

It would be along time before you met him again.

Perhaps not. See Willow, kneeling in her grief, before the salty pond of her tears. You will find everlasting sadness beneath her boughs as sure as you will find everlasting love beneath Pine's.

But perhaps you might find peace also.

She is silent.

She might be kind to you, for a time. But soon her gaze would only see the hole in the world you'll leave once you go.

Maybe you don't want such a melancholy friend. Maybe you like laughter. The sweet taste of sap upon your tongue. Maple would be the one for you.

He's game. He's fast. He's laughter itself, it seems to you. See him, there, perched on a fallen brethren's trunk. His eyes glimmer in the darkness, that instance of glee when the syrup boils over into the fire. He is easy to laugh and easier yet to smile. He'll be able to talk you out of and talk you into anything. Happily, you could probably do the same to him, if you tried. He'd run with you, through the forest, a stag next to a wolf in the forest, laughing, breathless. He's the moment when you leap from the branch into empty air, equal parts fear and daring. He'll be your best friend.

Forever.

When you die, he'll claim your body, to rest forever beneath his roots. His memories of you will become the golden yellow sap running through his viens. Always he will remember you.

It's not a bad way to go.

But, maybe you're not quite the simple soul I took you for. Maybe you want more. Maybe you want something less sweet, a blend, complexity, maybe you want someone who you can trust.

But only after they've betrayed you several times.

Black Cherry may supply the bittersweet taste you crave.

Sharp and tart as a freshly picked crab apple. Not even you, a friend, would be spared her wit. For hours you'd spar, until one fatal word would slip between one of each other's armour, and the loser would be stunned, cheeks red from excertion or embarrassment. You'd never need to apologize to each other, you're too familiar for that.

So familiar you could watch mortals fall for her, men and women, enamored by her intellignece, her humor. Not quite love. Not quite lust. Perhaps a combination. And you'd see her fall for mortals too, see it end in tragedy. But you'd still be here for her, wouldn't you?

I do hope you would.

A fair weather friend would be shred to bits in this hurricane of a tree. No, you'd stay by her side. You'd follow her anywhere. Well. Within reason. You'd cry on each other's shoulders, share jokes, play pranks, generally be friends.

The best kind.

And maybe, after a time, you'd catch yourself thinking that maybe, once you know someone so well you don't have to count the black, thick wavy hairs on her head because you already know the number, maybe, you might just have learned to love her.

And then you'd both end up laughing at the same time, high and clear as the blue sky above you.

When you die, she'd fiercely follow you, wherever you went.

When you ask her why, she'd laugh and flick your nose.

"Because love is forever, that's why."

She might say, clear and sharp as a ripe cherry on your tongue.

And you'd apologize, saying that you didn't know this was a love story, you'd thought it was a comedy routine.

You'd laugh together, forever.

Flyingsquirrel42 wrote a review...

Wow. I love the descriptions of the trees as if they were more than just...trees. It makes me think of them in a new way. I really like how you talked about how great each tree was and made me think, oh, maybe this one would be nice, but then you came up with a downside that I would have never thought of.

The only problems I have with this is are the spelling and the beginning. I would suggest combining the first two sentences. For spelling - change "yeras" to "years" (though this is probably just a typo) and "excertion" to "exertion." At the end, there's another two sentences that would probably be better off together - combine the two into "Because love is forever, that's why," she might say, clear and sharp as a ripe cherry on your tongue.

All in all, I really enjoyed this piece. It's a refreshing change from some of the other things I've been reading lately; it's simple yet complex at the same time and is truly a work of art. Great job!

Swetachowdhury0 says...

Hey @HiddenMask, sweta here...

Okay, so this is really different and great actually. I liked the way you described each trees as if you are describing some human being.. The concept, the idea is unique and well described. Great job on that.. Just amazing..

HiddenMask says...

RavenBlack wrote a review...

Hey @HiddenMask, Rav3nB1ack here!

I just want to say...I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! IT'S SO UNIQUE! IT'S SO DIFFERENT AND SUCH REFRESHING READ! (so for the all caps, I'm just so shook at how good this is xD)

I love the concept behind this, the idea to give each tree a personality and to make them human was so original (at least for me). At one point I didn't even imagine them as trees, I visualised them as human beings or at least fantastical beings because the way you described them made them feel real, like they were real people. And that's such a good skill!

For a while, I was all for the Mr Blue Beech, I was like that's my husband right there - then you said that he likes the taste of humans and I was like...."That escalated quickly." xD

Then I was like Maple sound much better, he'd make me laugh, he's a ride or die type of person. I mean literally, if I die he'd still love me, is that true love or what T_T

But the Black Cherry came through with the line: "Because love is forever, that's why". And I was like that that's my wife right there! T_T

So thank you for introducing me to all these potential partners xD

HiddenMask says...

Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed it.

You know I do all this writing biz just to get people hooked up with plants.

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner