I Don't Want To

by Heather_BlackCain

I Don’t Want To

She thinks that she loves nightmares,
And once I almost died.
Because she kills the dreamers,
And screams back that I lied.

I don’t want to hate her,
I don’t even love her….
I don’t like to hit her,
I don’t even know her…

She thinks that she’s the goddess,
And once I couldn’t breathe.
Because she killed the heartless,
And gives up on all I leave.

I don’t want to kill her,
I don’t even love her…
I don’t like to hurt her,
I don’t even know her…

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:34 am

Um, hey everybody. I thought I would just clear the air on this poem...
First of all, thank you all for your comments/critiques and suggestions, I really do appreciate them all.
Second, sorry if it was vague but that was sort of the thing I was going for. Guess I really didn't pull it off that well though.
Third, it's not about a rapist, just an obsessive relationship.
Fourth, yes this probably should have gone into lyrical poetry considering I think of it as a song and wrote it as such. I have no clue why I put it into the category that I did... I posted this a looooong time ago so I forget.
Fifth, this isn't my best work, so I hope no one judges the entire embodiment of my writing abilities on this one poem.
Again, thanks for you time, reads, and comments.

Aedomir wrote a review...

Uou lost me, but that's not to say I didn't like it. It was very intriguing.

I don’t want to hate her,
I don’t even love her….
I don’t like to hit her,
I don’t even know her…

and then

I don’t want to kill her,
I don’t even love her…
I don’t like to hurt her,
I don’t even know her…

the repeption is brillian, and I love the way it moves on. Same with the other stanzas. Great! Keep writing!

~D'Aedomir~

keirab wrote a review...

I liked this poem but I'm sorry to say I didn't really understand it...I guess I'm just not "deep enough"... :D

I think if you added another stanza or two and put it to music, it would be an excellent song!

Nice work!

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:05 pm
madam-butterfly wrote a review...

this is really well written and the flow and rhythm is flawless.

but... what the poem is actually about is hard to understand, i'm not sure i know what point you're making. poetry is about writing what you feel to make yourself understood, if you could find a way to clarify what you're trying to say that'd be great.

otherwise it was really good!

but it's very lyrical, like a song

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:59 pm
Jasmine Hart wrote a review...

The first line here is really great. I'm not sure that this really benefits from the rhyming scheme which you use. It seems to be a little restrictive in parts, e.g;
"and screams back that I lied."

I'd cut the repeated verse entirely as I'm no sure it really adds much. Maybe try showing more than you tell.

I think that the tenses are a bit mixed up in the third stanza, mostly down to efforts at rhyme;
"Because she killed the heartless,
And gives up on all I leave."

I'd try this again, for the sake of experimentation, using the first line as your starting point, as it's very powerful and draws the reader in.

Good luck. Hope this helps!

Jas

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:11 pm
omgafilangi wrote a review...

that was extremely well done,
although to those who aren't very deep, they may not understand it
which is why a person has said "I don't like it" because she doesn't know the feeling within the poem
although I know I understand the feeling in it, so I like it.
if people get lost reading this, I don't think they have enough experience to really know,
sure they may have read a book that had a person whom had a feeling like it, but unfortunately they can't really experience it.
get out into the world and really think about it, if you don't get it, people.

Wow...how completely pompous and self righteous of you. You are the reason so many people I know hate art. They all associate it with people like you: the people who say "It has such depth and meaning, and if you don't get it you must be dense and unappreciative". Please.

Anyway, on to the critique. I must be shallow, cause like Cade said, it didn't wow me. You have a pretty good foundation though, and some lines I do really like, like the first line and most of the third stanza. I just don't know WHAT it is that you're talking about. Some theories about rapists and boyfriends have been bouncing around...is it one of those things? Its unclear, and just jumbled emotion at this point. Emotions are good, dont get me wrong, but there needs to be something behind them at the same time. Good try, but like I said, didn't wow me.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:23 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...

This was really vague. Your language was pretty, but I didn't really know what you were talking about. A guy lost his girlfriend? Was she crazy and he was disillusioned? I really didn't understand it.

But it was pretty and your rhythm was really sing-song and nice. I got a vague feeling of confusion from the narrator (meaning that was what I felt he was feeling) but that was really all I got out of it.

It has potential to be something great with a little editing. Good luck!

~GryphonFledgling

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:49 pm
MisaAmane wrote a review...

that was extremely well done,
I love it!
keep writing this such I give it a 10/10
great great great! :D

~Misa

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:25 am
Cade wrote a review...

You lost me after the first line. It's an interesting first line, but what follows doesn't live up to the intrigue of the beginning.

This poem suffers from being overly vague and repetitive. The rhyme is often not true rhyme, and when it is, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose other than to make the poem sound childish. Ditch the abstract images and cliche emotions; tell us a story! Describe a unique moment in time. Anything but this.

-Colleen

LoveableLittleSock wrote a review...

She thinks that she loves nightmares,
And once I almost died.
Because she kills the dreamers,
And screams back that I lied.

I don’t want to hate her,
I don’t even love her….
I don’t like to hit her,
I don’t even know her…

She thinks that she’s the goddess,
And once I couldn’t breathe.
Because she killed the heartless,
And gives up on all I leave.

I don’t want to kill her,
I don’t even love her…
I don’t like to hurt her,
I don’t even know her…

Wow. So is the narrator like a rapist? Wow. Um, the poem is pretty good, but I can't say I liked it :)) Is this supposed to be a song? I mean, the repetition is fabulous don't get me wrong. But this would go more in lyrical poetry?

Matt Bellamy wrote a review...

I didn't think, just glancing at the second stanza, that I would like it, but I do. I really like the way it sounds, almost like it should be in a song, and the repetition doesn't bother me in the slightest. Not sure I like the third stanza so much, but I do like the continuity of dying/not being able to breathe. Good job.

Everything I’ve ever let go of has claw marks on it.
— David Foster Wallace