Avery Trent - Chapter 13 (Deadpan Jones)

by Hattable

There had been a death on the landing platform. In fact, there had been at least three deaths, the second of which was Jason's dignity. The first had been claimed by an incredibly unfortunate slug-like man who had found himself beneath the poorly-piloted, quickly descending silver can. The third? Probably an insect of some sort when Avery first landed after hopping out of the open top of the can.

The large baggy cloak that Jason had lent him before opening the ship's hatch puffed up around him as he fell, then settled itself upon landing. Avery knew that Jason was tall — it wasn't hard to miss — but wearing a cloak of Jason's at his comparatively-measly height of 5'9” made Avery feel ridiculous. He shrugged the sleeves back up his arms and attempted to deal with it.

From behind the dense gold visor of his grotesque helmet, Avery's eyes darted around the platform. It was huge, he'd noticed a few moments before their 'semi-crash landing', as he and Jason had compromised on calling it when Jason refused to admit how badly he'd failed at landing. Something that caught Avery's attention upon his feet hitting the steel floor, though, was the astonishing variety of aliens he found himself looking at.

There were tall-necked, furry creatures in shades of red and blue sticking high up above the smaller members of the crowd. Shorter, stouter little gray men wandered about, followed at a distance by a pair of tall, slender, pale figures in large scarves and cloaks. There was even a man with what Avery thought must be a fishbowl of some sort on his head, though it was very dark and blue for a fishbowl, as no face was visible behind it.

Jason dropped down beside Avery, his own silver helmet matching particularly well with the glistening exterior of the ship. Tapping a few buttons on the side of his helmet, Jason muttered something and promptly proceeded to slide his it off his head. Avery tilted his own head, confused, then began to do the same.

“No, no, no!” Jason cried, frantically, shoving the helmet back down over Avery's nose and earning a small audience of aliens' eyes a short distance away. He glared at the eavesdroppers until they returned to their own business, then dropped his hands from Avery's head. “Leave that on,” he hissed.

“How come you--?” Avery retorted.

“Because,” Jason whispered, cutting him off. “I'm not human.”

“But you said the platform was unprotecte--”

“Yeah, turns out I was wrong, there's plenty of air out here,” he said, taking an exaggeratedly deep breath, then smirking at Avery as he exhaled out his ears. Avery blinked in distant bewilderment as he wondered what Jason's internal workings were like, then swiveled his head back in the direction of the massive crowd.

“So where are we going?” he asked. Jason grabbed him by the shoulder and pointed across the platform to a wide, low-lying metal structure.

“Bizzy Beau’s Filthy Cantina,” he said, his stomach grumbling. Avery stood on the tips of his toes to get a better look and, sure enough, caught sight of the rusty old sign. It featured, to Avery's slight disapproval, a horrible choice of letter style.

“Oh.” Avery replied, suddenly disheartened as to where this branch of their adventure was going. “Er, is it any good?”

“Not a clue,” Jason stated, heading into the crowd. “Never been here. No idea where we're even at, sector-wise, really.” Avery hurried after him, trying to avoid any awkward situations, such as bumping into somebody or being bumped into himself or stepping on a particularly sharp-looking gentleman's tailcoat, for some examples. Or, for another example, somebody stepping on his cloak, he considered as he grabbed it up around him, hoping to find walking easier.

Surprisingly, considering the thickness of the crowd and how far away the building had initially looked, it didn't take them long to reach it. With a little laugh of excitement, Jason hopped on up to the double doors and grabbed hold of both handles.

Suddenly, a tall, graying man in a rather magician-y-looking coat burst through the doors, tossing Jason off balance and sending him to the ground on his rear. The man darted of towards the crowd as a dark-haired girl ran out the door after him, looking very panicked as she tossed a glance back at the building.

"Hurry, keep up, Clara!" the man called back as the two disappeared on the crowded platform.

Jason leaped to his feet and shouted after them, shaking a fist and throwing curses their way until his stomach grumbled loudly and he completely forgot about the happenstance. Spinning on his heel, he waltzed into the restaurant. Avery, glancing out onto the platform in search of the strange duo, followed right after.

Unfortunately, despite his haste in keeping up with Jason, Avery had somehow lost him the moment he entered the building. He scanned the interior crowd, made up of much the same as the one outside, albeit cast in a dim orange light, but couldn't see his tall pink friend anywhere. With a sigh and a groan, Avery approached the bar, glancing up at the three-eyed bartender whose four beefy arms were busy wiping a pair of mugs dry.

“What'll it be?” The bartender's middle eye looked Avery up and down whilst the right surveyed the bar and the left kept a steady gaze focused on a clock nearby.

“Er, what d'you have?” Avery asked, checking around for a menu. He lifted his arm to check if it'd been hidden beneath his rather large cloak sleeve.

“Well,” the bartender grunted, focusing all three eyes on Avery for a moment, before sending them to their previous tasks. “We've got purple juice, green juice, poisonbeer, and milk.”

“That's it?” Avery queried. The bartender nodded slowly and gave him a look, as if challenging him to find something else to order. “Well, uh, then, I guess I'll have the, uh... I'll have the milk,” Avery decided. With a smirk, the bartender walked off to prepare the order.

Avery sighed a second time and looked around the restaurant again. Jason had to be there somewhere. They'd just walked in! Suddenly, a feeling of unease crawled along Avery's spine and he felt he'd much like to get out of there, but he considered it safer to stay at the bar than to wander around searching for Jason.

Eventually the bartender returned and slammed a massive brown mug down on the counter. It sloshed and frothed, yellow foam bubbling around the rim and slipping down its sides.

“Here ya go,” the bartender growled, still smirking as he crossed his four arms and stared down at the little man behind the bar. Avery blinked at the mug, then glanced up at the bartender. It had taken him a while, but he realized at some point that he was still wearing his helmet, which would make drinking anything a bit of a challenge. And he wasn't sure if he'd be safe taking the helmet off with Jason nearby, much less on his own here.

The bartender was still watching him. He needed a diversion to keep from taking the helmet off.

“Er, um... I ordered milk,” he said sheepishly, hoping it would be enough. The bartender gave him a confused look.

“This is milk,” the bartender replied irritatedly. Avery stood on his stool and peeked over the rim of the mug.

“You sure?” he asked, feeling that this argument could be more serious than he'd initially intended. “'Cause it looks a bit like... Not-milk.”

“How so?”

“Well, for one...” Avery looked around the mug's sides, then back up at his server. “Uh... It's yellow.”

“Yeah, you got a problem with that?”

“No, no, it's just...” Avery sat back down on the stool. “Milk isn't yellow.” The bartender blinked all three eyes at once, then each separately, then simultaneously again.

“Sorry, bud, but what the hell kind of milk have you been drinking?”

“Um, er, cow milk?” Avery said uncertainly. The bartender blinked again.

“Sorry again, bud, but,” he leaned across the counter, drawing his nasty teeth right up to Avery's face. “What the hell's a cow?”

Remembering back to what Jason had told him before they got out of the can and before he lent him a cloak, Avery kicked himself internally.

Now, remember, there's no Earth stuff out this far. Nothing like Earth at all, so just chill and don't insult anything. Got it?”

“Oh, no, nothing, sorry,” Avery stumbled over his words as he tried to cover up his mistake.

They can't know that you're from that old ball.” Jason's voice sounded in his head again. “Otherwise...”Avery envisioned Jason running his finger across his throat. “You're dead, bud.”

That last bit was the same thing Jason had said, but Avery didn't think it. Turning around, he found himself faced with a large furry man. A large furry man with a metallic face.

“Er, hello,” Avery spoke, his voice cracking. He waved nervously. The man just stared, his red eyes literal floating orbs of light in their sockets.

“You're dead, bud,” he repeated. Avery gulped and glanced back at the bartender, who had disappeared. Quickly looking back at the furry man, Avery gulped again.

“Um, sorry?” Avery scooted back to put some distance between himself and the man, but the counter behind him stunted his retreat.

“Oh, a deaf one? I see...” The metal-faced man crouched before Avery, reached into a satchel draped across his torso, and pulled out a small orange ball. Really it just looked a lot like an orange — the citrus kind, that is. Avery was very confused.

“You've got an orange...” he observed. The man growled and crushed the orange in a large taloned fist. Avery gulped a third time. Opening his fist, the man revealed, amongst the shards of the orange ball, a smaller, silver, metal ball.

“You've got a metal ball in your orange...” Avery stated, glancing up at the man's face. “Sorry if I'm not following, but... Why?” The red lights in the man's eye sockets suddenly turned yellow. Rising to his full height, he shrugged and wandered off to a far corner of the restaurant. Avery stared after him, increasingly confused as his rib cage struggled to contain his racing heart.

“Avery! There you are!” a voice called from Avery's left just before he was hit with something rather heavy. Next thing he knew, he found himself dazed on the floor of the bar with a tall, familiar figure pulling him to his feet.

“Where the hell were you?!” Avery cried at Jason's stupid pink face as his vision cleared out and he stopped seeing two stupid pink faces.

“Oh, sorry, eating. Drinking too. But hey, look, I found a friend!” Jason gestured behind him and a bright red, faceless person came to his side. They were a couple inches shorter than Avery and garbed in a leather jacket, dark pants, boots, and held a satchel at their side. Avery felt bad for reeling back at the sight of the person's incredibly nondescript face, but there was absolutely nothing there, aside from the occasional shallow indent that indicated where their eyes might've gone if they had any.

The faceless man held out a hand as he somehow vocally introduced himself.

“Pleasure to meet you, name's Jones. My colleagues call me Deadpan, but...” he patted the gun holstered to his hip. “You're not my colleague." Jason didn't seem to realize the threat and smiled wildly at Avery, as if showcasing his greatest discovery yet.

“Er, Avery,” Avery replied, shaking the hand he'd been offered.

“So I'd heard,” Jones stated, tilting his head towards Jason who was now busying himself with the frothing mug Avery had abandoned on the bar counter.

“Right,” Avery said. “So, uh, colleagues? What is it that you do, then?” Jones seemed to try to squint disapprovingly, but his lack of facial features failed him. Avery noticed the man's grip on his satchel tighten.

“It's, um, probably best not to concern yourself with that, Avery.”

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:19 am
Que wrote a review...

Uh, hey Hatt. :)
I guess its been a while, you may have noticed that I've been reading back through all your chapters. Anyway, I hope you don't mind my adding another review to some of these!

Alright. Overall, it was a great chapter and it kind of had a Star Wars theme to me. ^_^ I think it's strange that Jason landed so horribly, almost with no regard as to the safety of his can, yet he freaks out whenever Avery touches the controls. That's kind of a scary thing about Jason for me, he switches so much, but then again maybe he just dislikes Avery that much.

I thought this was a little weird. This (honestly awesome looking) unknown character comes up to Avery, threatens him, crushes an orange, and then just walks away? Obviously Avery is confused, but so am I. Why would he do that? What does it have to do with anything? It would be really cool though if you brought that character back or something.

Also, what about language? Only the cephalods (?) seemed to speak a different language, and they solved that with those translator sticks. If humans aren't supposed to exist, why would anyone speak their language? Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway? Sorry this is kind of technical, just curious. I kind of want to see someone curious about Avery's Earth accent and question where he came from. Speaking of which... How and why does Jason know Earth/humanity exists? Why don't other aliens?

I think it's strange that you use they and then just decide it's a man. Not like I'm going to pick at you for that, it's probably touchy and all, but I like consistency. So yeah, I probably shouldn't have poked the beast, but you could probably use he if it's going to be a man. Or you could say "he or she" but there isn't a really defining moment? >_> Sorry I'm just going to stop now.

Anyway. It was really great- as always. :) Can't wait to keep reading!

<3 Falco

Hattable says...

Ohhhhh!! Thank you for reminding me! I was just wondering about the language issues tonight, and was working out that various parts of the galaxy probably speak "Simple Tongue" aka English, which humans also know because [insert galaxy backstory stuff] humans used to be widespread throughout the galaxy but then a group of aliens (the Orion, who should be in the chapter after this one, I think) somehow convinced a majority of the galaxy to turn against humans and almost eradicated them, but some allies of humans stowed them away on Earth and set up stuff to make it seem desolate unless you were to land on it-- the desolation kept most aliens away (kinda like Hogwarts to Muggles), but Jason was running away from his homeplanet and didn't mind a desolate-looking place to land for a little break, and that's how he knows about Earth, I thiiink, though I might still change that.

But anyway, back to language stuff, I forgot about the Cephalods' translator sticks -- I felt like I'd mentioned some translator thingy before but I forgot about thaaat. I'm still working out the kinks of the language stuff. Chapter 19 has an alien who doesn't speak Simple Tongue, and most of that planet might be the same, so I'll have to work stuff out for that.
As for the Earth accent thing, that's interesting. I never thought about it before but I might include something about that, now that you bring it up. c:

Oh, and that guy with the orange-- forgot about him, too, was meant to demonstrate the dangerous folks around the cantina, but I might bring him back as well. He'll need a name. Deadpan is coming back soon, anyway-- maybe orange guy stows along with him? :b

Morrigan wrote a review...

Jules!

While I haven't read the other chapters, this is well written enough that I'm able to understand what's going on.

Overall, I really liked this. It's lighthearted and also science fiction. It reminds me a lot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't know if you've read that, but if you like writing like this, I'm sure you would like that.

There are just a few things that I'd like to bring to your attention.

While most of your sentences are pretty fabulous, you've got some extra long ones that would benefit from being broken up.

It was huge, he'd noticed a few moments before their 'semi-crash landing', as he and Jason had compromised on calling it when Jason refused to admit how badly he'd failed at landing
I'm pretty sure this is grammatically correct, but it's unwieldy. Put a period after "huge." While that makes one tiny sentence before one relatively large one, it makes the flow of the sentence easier to follow.

When you're describing all the visuals of the aliens on the platform, I really enjoyed it. But as soon as you were describing it (and this is before I got to the cantina part), the Star Wars cantina music started playing in my head. I think it's good that your descriptions gave me an imagined auditory response, but what would be even better is if you described the chatter and sounds (and even smells!) that would go along with such a large crowd of strange creatures.

then smirking at Avery as he exhaled out his ears.
This was a fun touch, but simply exhaling wouldn't have necessarily alerted Avery to the fact that Jason was exhaling out of his ears. Maybe you could say, "then smirking at Avery as his breath whistled out of his ears," or something like that. Make it clear that the air is making an audible or tactile exit so it would alert Avery to this exhalation.

Avery hurried after him, trying to avoid any awkward situations, such as bumping into somebody or being bumped into himself or stepping on a particularly sharp-looking gentleman's tailcoat, for some examples.
I think you should probably not say the examples part. Perhaps reword the beginning to say something like, "Avery hurried after him, avoiding bumping into a belching slimeball, and nearly tripping over the tailcoats of a very sharp looking gentleman." It doesn't take the reader out of the world as much.

magician-y-looking
When I read this, I imagined the dark blue and silver stars of a wizard's coat. I suggest you describe the actual coat, as it doesn't fit the image of the Doctor reference.

Overall, this is really fun to read and review. I might look at a few of your other chapters, as well, once review day is over (unless you've got more chapters in the Green Room. In that case, you'll be seeing me again today). I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy writing!

Hattable says...

Hallooo, thank youuu.

This was all actually inspired by HGTTG, so... XP and yeah, the Doctor's description thing you got the reference ooo: didn't feel right but I wasn't sure how to describe his coat without lingering on him for too long. ;-;

There's two more chapters in the green room, I think, and they've all got problems with these stupidly long sentences, if remember correctly;-; >> bleh

I just woke up

Thanks for the review, though! and my god, this was the best review without having read previous chapters that I've ever gotten

Hattable says...

Hallooo, thank youuu.

I just woke up

Songmorning wrote a review...

Back to Avery Trent! I'm in the mood for something a little more lighthearted. Let's see what this chapter has in store for me...

There were tall-necked, furry creatures in shades of red and blue walking over the smaller members of the crowd. Shorter, stouter little gray men wandered about, followed at a distance by a pair of tall, slender, pale figures in large scarves and cloaks. There was even a man with what Avery thought must be a fishbowl of some sort on his head, though it was very dark and blue for a fishbowl, as no face was visible behind it.

Ooh, I love the colorful scene here. It's delightfully alien and imaginative. The only thing I was a little confused about was what you meant by the tall-necked, furry creatures "walking over" the smaller members of the crowd. At first I envisioned them literally walking on top of the smaller aliens, but then that didn't seem to make sense, so I imagined them kind of stepping over them with long legs, and then I simply imagined them being much taller than the others, with "over" simply referring to the difference in height, but that doesn't quite cover it, does it? Maybe you could rephrase that part a bit to make it more specific and descriptive. In any case, your space story has no lack of weirdness, and I'm impressed at what an imagination you have for these things. Weirdness is a must for odd, lighthearted sci-fi.

“Bizzy Beau’s Filthy Cantina,” he said, his stomach grumbling.

"Filthy", hahaha. That name's going to attract a lot of customers, I'm sure. Perhaps just out of curiosity! As soon as I read that name, I was quite curious to see what it was like on the inside.

With a small little laugh of excitement

Small little? "Little" will suffice.

Jason leaped to his feet and shouted after them, shaking a fist and throwing curses their way until his stomach grumbled loudly and he completely forgot about the happenstance. Spinning on his heel, he waltzed into the restaurant.

Ahahaha! He must be really hungry. I love Jason's bouncy, quirky personality. He just flies from one thing to the next with hardly a thought about the past.

Ohh, the bartender is so intimidating. XD And I'll bet you anything that the "milk" is not as safe as it sounds!

It had taken him a while, but he realized at some point that he was still wearing his helmet, which would make drinking anything a bit of a challenge. And he wasn't sure if he'd be safe taking the helmet off with Jason nearby, much less on his own here.

Oh crap, I'd completely forgotten about the helmet too. This is awful. I'm just squirming with the awkwardness of Avery's situation.

The bartender blinked all three eyes at once, then each separately, then simultaneously again.

That is wonderful. I'm loving this chapter so much, I don't know what to point out. I mean, seriously, every line adds something new. The argument over the milk, Avery feeling that it was more serious than he had intended, but really trying to get out of the need to take off his helmet, the desire just to slink away...There's just so much weirdness and awkwardness and delightfulness, I don't know what to say! XD Also, the bartender's personality: "What the hell kind of milk have you been drinking?"

Avery envisioned Jason running his finger across his throat. “You're dead, bud.”

You forgot to italicize the last memory-quote here.
That last bit was the same thing Jason had said, but Avery didn't think it.

Oh wait, my apologies. You had a reason for that. It certainly caught my attention, though. If I had picked this book off the shelf in a library, I would have immediately assumed intent behind the lack of italics rather than a formatting mistake.

Avery cried at Jason's stupid pink face as his vision cleared out and he stopped seeing two stupid pink faces.

"Stupid" made me giggle. It's a great implicit description of Avery's state of mind right now. XD

Jason gestured behind him and a bright red, faceless person came to his side.

Oh crap, it's a myaaaniquin! o_O "Faceless" is about as creepy as it gets.

Jones seemed to try to squint disapprovingly, but his lack of facial features failed him.

Why didn't it fail him when he winked, then? I wasn't quite able to imagine what "winking" looked like for him.

Hmm, well, what a fun chapter. It was just perfect for my mood today, and I enjoyed it immensely. I was rather disturbed that the slug-like man who got squashed beneath the can was not mentioned again at all. There wasn't even a scuffle...I'm also bothered that Jasmine's name didn't come up at all in this entire chapter, but maybe she really is gone for good...

Anyway, great job! I'll be looking forward to the next chapter!

Hattable says...

Deadpan winked? o.O I didn't know I made him do that. ;-; I must fix dis.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White