z

Young Writers Society



Avery Trent - Chapter 10 (Light Switches and Cephalods)

by Hattable


Avery and Jasmine clambered through the doorway at the back of the ship's cabin and found themselves in a small cramped closet of sorts. Despite the terrible darkness, it was clear that Jason hadn't cleaned the room since he first acquired the ship – whenever that may have been. Cardboard boxes piled up to the ceiling and served as a second layer of wall right on top of the original walls. Dust filled the air and coated the floor, leaving Avery wondering if Jason even owned a broom. He doubted it.

“Neat,” Jasmine said. Avery wasn't sure if she was being sarcastic about the state of the room, or if she had an odd affinity for dust. He decided not to respond and stepped towards the middle of the room. Jasmine felt at the walls around the door, searching for a light switch. Finding one and pressing it promptly, she cast the tight room into a glaring cube of light.

Avery scanned the boxes as Jasmine came to his side and looked about as well. Suddenly the light switched off. The two turned to face the switch.

“Must be defective,” Jasmine stated, stepping up to it and pressing it again. She watched it sharply as she slowly returned to the center of the room.

“Where d'you think he went?” she asked, turning to Avery. He shrugged and approached the wall opposite the light switch. Boxes completely covered this wall. He surveyed them carefully, squinting at their dusty labels.

The light flickered a moment, then went out again. Avery spun on his heel and glared at the light switch. Jasmine switched it on. The two watched it carefully. As they did so, the thick shadows in a corner near the switch seemed to move. Jasmine gasped and gripped her gun. Avery stepped across the room and held his gun up, aiming it at the offending corner.

In all honesty, Avery had never shot a gun in his life and was feeling quite nervous. He knew that you had to pull the trigger to fire it, clearly, but that was with Earth guns. He had no idea how different these alien guns could be.

“Who's there?” he demanded, hoping to sound intimidating. Instead, his voice cracked. Flushing in painful embarrassment, he cleared his throat and tried again. “Who's there?

The shadows moved again and Avery's mind raced with what sort of alien horror could be hiding there. Shadows definitely weren't something he wanted to mess with, but here he was.

His arms began to shake slightly and his knuckles had gone white around the gun's handle. Lessening his grip and adjusting his stance, he demanded an answer from the corner again. There was no reply, so he resorted to a nervous cough before allowing a stiff silence to fall over the room.

Suddenly, a pink hand poked out from the darkness. Avery's eyes widened as he dramatically turned his aim on the hand. He was starting to break a sweat and felt his cheeks grow red as his brain reminded him of his voice cracking a moment ago.

The hand slowly inched across the wall, making its way to the light switch. Whatever creature hid in the shadows didn't have an arm quite long enough to reach the switch on its own, so they had to lean out from the corner a few inches. Luckily, this brought their face into view.

Avery let his gun arm drop to his side as he let out an exasperated sound.

“Really?” he said. The pink face stared at him blankly, wearing an expression that Avery thought resembled a guilty squirrel. The hand, arm, and face kept leaning further and further out of the shadows, trying to reach the light switch.

“Honestly?” Avery asked, crossing his arms. Jasmine remained silent, but Avery didn't turn away from the corner. Still leaning out of the corner, the pink figure suddenly stumbled and fell to the floor, releasing a giant cloud of dust into the air. He fell into a coughing fit as Avery looked down at him, tapping a foot and frowning.

“Jason, what were you--”

“Avery, behind you!” the man on the floor exclaimed, leaping to his feet and grabbing Avery's gun. He quickly shoved Avery to the floor and shot two blasts at the ceiling.

“What're you doing?” Avery cried, scrambling to his feet. “You'll rip a whole in the—” He froze as he found that there already was a hole in the ceiling. On the floor directly below it was a black, steaming, rubbery-looking thing.

“What's that?” he asked.

“A bad guy,” Jason said.

“A bad guy?” Avery repeated.

“Yeah,” Jason said.

“Okay,” Avery said, looking away from the thing and surveying the room. Just then he realized why he hadn't been backed up in his confrontation of the corner.

“Where's Jasmine?” he asked worriedly.

“Well,” Jason replied, staring up at the large hole above him. “A squid got her.”

“What?” Avery asked, perplexed.

“A squid,” Jason said slowly. “Got her.”

“What do you mean 'a squid got her'?” Avery asked. Jason pointed down at the charred ball, then up to the hole with his gun hand.

“Squid. Grabbed her. Took her up there.” he explained.

“A squid?” Avery prompted.

“Got her.” Jason nodded.

“There are squids in space?” Avery asked slowly.

“Not exactly squids,” Jason replied. “Technically they're Cephalods. Pirates from Neptune.” He began pacing the room, stopping a moment to check each wall. “Originally, at least. Doesn't mean we're close to Neptune,” he added at the look on Avery's face. “We're way off, nowhere near Neptune.”

“Then what're they doing out here?” Avery asked.

“Well everyone evacuated Neptune when some crazy dolphins started falling from the sky or something,” Jason said. “The Cephalods hate fish, ironically. I don't blame them, by the way.” He poked a box and licked the dust off his finger, then cringed. “Anyway, everyone originally from Neptune just tried to get as far away from there as possible, so there you go.” He pointed back to the hole. “We get that 'cause of some stinking dolphins. D'you know how much that's gonna cost me--”

Avery shut Jason's voice out there and grabbed a large box that was lying around, not being used as the cardboard walls of the room. Shoving it beneath the hole, he climbed atop it and poked his head through the ripped ceiling.

Glancing around, he found his head in a large cargo bay. There were big steel crates organized in various places around the hold and even a small ship – the first spaceship-like ship he'd seen, because Jason's silver can really wasn't what came to mind when he thought of aliens and space travel.

Situated around the ship was a small group of what appeared to be anthropomorphic squids; Cephalods, he guessed. Most of their bodies were made up of tentacles, four of which served as legs, the other four serving as arms, and two extras that wrapped around their “necks” like slimy scarves. The rest of their bodies were tall, pointy squid heads – just what you'd expect of an anthropomorphic squid person from Neptune.

At that moment, Jason decided to pop up on the box beside Avery and peek into the hold.

“Oh, damn,” he muttered.

“What?” Avery asked.

“They aren't usually those colors,” Jason replied. The Cephalods in the bay varied between orange, blue, and a blue-green shade. Avery thought the blue and blue-green might be typical of a squid, though, personally, he imagined a pinker color might suit them better.

“What are they usually, then?” he asked Jason.

“A pinker color,” Jason replied. Avery blinked.

“I think that'd suit them better,” he said.

“Me too,” Jason agreed. They nodded and continued watching the Cephalods mill about the ship. As the moved around, Jasmine soon came into view. Avery nearly yelped, but he caught his tongue and glanced at Jason.

“They've got Jasmine.”

“Told you so,” Jason said.

“What do we do?” Avery asked.

“I mean, we could leave her,” Jason suggested. Avery gave him a stern look.“Okay, okay, we'll save her. Just gimme a second.” Jason poked his head into the dusty room and came back up with Avery's laser gun in hand.

“What're you gonna do with that?” Avery asked. “Those guys outnumber us.”

“Avery,” Jason said. “Do you not remember the other pirates we saved Jasmine from? They outnumbered us too. Believe me, I'm sure we can take a few squid pirates.” Before Avery could retort, Jason tossed himself into the cargo bay and charged at the group surrounding the ship.

“Oh no,” Avery mumbled. Jason bellowed out a war cry, sounding like some sort of desperate bird during mating season. Not only did his cry sound bad, but his plan was rubbish too.

The Cephalods heard him, spotted him, and shot him with an alien laser baton of some kind. Jason seized mid-charge and crashed to the shiny silver floor, halfway between the Cephalods and the hole that Avery hid in. A couple of Cephalods departed from their group to retrieve him. They dragged him unceremoniously back to the ship and dropped him beside Jasmine, letting his face smash into the floor again. Two more of the squid troops soon walked back the same way and pulled a struggling Avery out of the dusty junk closet he'd retreated to.

They tossed him beside Jason, shouting at him in a language he'd never heard. Avery eyed their laser batons and decided it would be safest to stay down. Shifting his view to his right, he saw an unconscious, twitching Jason drooling all over the shiny floor. Beside Jason stood Jasmine, keeping still and staring straight ahead.

The Cephalods approached Avery again and started shouting in his face. The poor man had no idea what they were saying and he tried to translate that to them, but he didn't know how to. A large orange Cepalod with a name tag that read “Billie” pulled him to his feet and waved a baton in his face. Billie spit a lot and Avery winced.

Jasmine spoke up then, talking quickly. “Avery, brace yourself.”

“What? Why?” he started asking, when suddenly Billie whacked him in the head with a big purple stick. Avery's vision split in two, blurred like tarnished photo, and spun around in his head.

“What the--?” he blurted, holding his head and swaying in place.

“Now can you hear me?” Billie shouted. Avery blinked and shook his head to clear his vision. “No?” Billie cried, raising the purple stick above his head. “We can fix that!”

Jasmine leaped between the two, holding her hands up.

“No, no, it's fine. He can understand you!” she said. “That's just how, uh... How he says yes.” Billie squinted at her, then squinted over her shoulder at Avery.

“Weirdo,” he said, turning away and lining up with the other Cephalods. Jasmine faced Avery and nodded, giving him a concerned look.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Er, not really,” he replied. “Why'd they hit me?”

“It's a translator stick,” Jasmine explained. “They whack you with that and you can understand other languages temporarily.”

“Really? Why don't they try something less painful?”

“Well, they don't exactly care about our well-being.”

“What do they want?” Avery asked.

“Jason's ship,” Jasmine stated.

“Oh, that's not all, my dear!" a cheery voice cried. A bright purple Cephalod wearing a golden ring around his head was standing behind Jasmine. He was taller than the rest, towering far above his captors, and had a beard made up of tiny tentacles beneath the beak on his face.

“Well what else do you want?” Jasmine queried, sounding relatively disgusted.

Well,” the squid man said, stretching out the word. “I'm looking for a bride, my dear!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:06 am
View Likes
Vervain wrote a review...



Yo, Khatt! It's been a while since I read Avery, so I'm probably not going to remember a lot of what went on, but I'll probably end up asking myself "what?" a lot whether I reread or not. So let's jump right in!

Finding one and pressing it promptly, she cast the tight room into a glaring cube of light.
This is the first awkward sentence I caught in this chapter. As with plenty of awkward sentences, I know what you're trying to say, but the image doesn't quite come across outside of your own head. I know you mean to say the room turns into a glaring cube of light when the switch is pressed, but the way you word it implies that the room is thrown into a glaring cube—maybe something like "she cringed from the sudden glaring light in the cube" instead? That would also give us our protagonists' reaction to it, rather than what you have, which is neither of them shielding their eyes from the influx of light.

Jasmine remained silent, but Avery didn't turn away from the corner.
I kind of feel like this gives away your little twist of Jasmine already being taken—by commenting on Jasmine's silence, you make it suspicious. If she simply disappears from the scene, then the reader is left to wonder what happens to her, and once we find out she was taken by a squid, we wonder how long she was gone and Avery didn't notice. It gives the reader a chance to formulate their own theories and expound on characterization on their own.

Most of their bodies were made up of tentacles, four of which served as legs, the other four serving as arms, and two extras that wrapped around their “necks” like slimy scarves. The rest of their bodies were tall, pointy squid heads – just what you'd expect of an anthropomorphic squid person from Neptune.
I simultaneously love and hate your description of the Cephalods. The first sentence? Hate. The second sentence? Eh. The last part of the second sentence? Gold. I think it might resonate better if you re-ordered it a bit—maybe something like:
They looked exactly like what you'd expect of an anthropomorphic squid person from Neptune. Their bodies looked to be equally divided between tentacles and tall, pointy heads, with some number of their tentacles serving as arms and legs and the extras wrapped around what Avery thought of as "necks" as some sort of odd, slimy scarf.
That way, you hit with some of the humor first, which makes the reader more willing to read an otherwise-rather-dry description of these squid people. (Also, I'd probably cut the repetition of "anthropomorphic"; it's a long word your readers won't like to read too often, haha.)

Moving on, with the confrontation with the Cephalods, I'd love to feel a bit more of Avery's or Jason's reactions! You're usually quite good at emotions, but I found this bit really not engaging. I didn't feel very tense at all—maybe because I had a good feeling they wouldn't get away with it—but at the very least, Avery should feel like there's something on the line, shouldn't he?

To end on a positive note, I love the translator stick, the Cephalod with the nametag that says Billie, and especially the purple guy at the end. You have such vibrant, out-of-the-box characters that you toss in from seemingly nowhere, and I adore how they work in seamlessly to your whole. Keep writing!




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 1916
Reviews: 23

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:58 am
ehobby1465 wrote a review...



Hello! I'm Emily and I'll be reviewing your chapter today. Just a disclaimer, I haven't read any of the previous chapters, so I'll be basing my review only on your writing, rather than your plot and characterization. With that out of the way, let's get down to business!

"He shrugged and approached the wall opposite the light switch. Boxes completely covered this wall."
I feel like both of these sentences don't have a ton of information. Consider combining them just to make the piece flow more easily.

"Lessening his grip and adjusting his stance,"
Lessening works OK in this context, but in my opinion loosening might work better. Totally up to you.

"“Avery, behind you!” the man on the floor exclaimed, leaping to his feet and grabbing Avery's gun."
Where did Jason come from? You show Jasmine and Avery entering the closet, and then suddenly Jason appears. How big are spaceship closets?

"Do you not remember the other pirates we saved Jasmine from?"
This isn't a huge critique, but shouldn't one of the dudes be taken by space pirates once and a while? Gender equality, now coming to a solar system near you! Also, I love how casually you mention the other space pirates. Like it's a weekly thing, getting attacked by space pirates.

Alright, I think that's about it. A lot of fun to read. I hope my reviews helped. Keep writing!




Hattable says...


Jesus Christ, another reviewer who didn't read the previous chapters. -_-

SO, Jasmine wasn't kidnapped by any space pirates or anything. She crash landed on their moon and was masquerading as a new recruit until she could get off the moon, then Avery and Jason came along and she's like "Hey I saved you guys from these pirate dudes, 'cause they imprisoned you, so could I come along and get out of here?"
So yeaaaaah, maybe read the previous chapters before being like "oh wow, no gender equality"? Thaaanks.

As for where Jason came from, he was hiding in a dark corner of the room before falling to the ground and then jumping up and shooting whatever was on the ceiling. I know I wrote that rather confusingly in the chapter, but yeaaaah.
And casually mentioning the other space pirates is because they'd literally just gotten away from them.



Hattable says...


*Jason likes to take credit for things. He says they saved Jasmine, but really Jasmine saved them



Hattable says...


*Jason likes to take credit for things. He says they saved Jasmine, but really Jasmine saved them



ehobby1465 says...


Sorry, I was just going by what I read. It's review day after all, so I'm trying to get to as many people as possible.



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 5000
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:47 am
HopelessAbandon wrote a review...



Hello!
I haven't read any of your previous chapters, sorry! I'm just going to be reviewing on grammar etc. rather than on things like character development.

Avery spun on his heel and glared at the light switch.

You use the word "switch" a lot in this section. You also use "wall" often. I would just change it up a little whenever possible.

In all honesty, Avery had never shot a gun in his life and was feeling quite nervous. He knew that you had to pull the trigger to fire it, clearly, but that was with Earth guns. He had no idea how different these alien guns could be.

Same as the above section, you over use the word "gun/s"

Avery shut Jason's voice out there and grabbed a large box that was lying around, not being used as the cardboard walls of the room.

You don't need a comma in this sentence.

General:
You write really well! This was funny and quirky. I really enjoyed reading it!
I don't really get the whole "translator baton" thing, but then again, I haven't read the previous chapters, so this may be a sort of theme.

Great job! Sorry to be nitpicky, but there wasn't much to review here otherwise, everything else had already been said. Good work!

~Abandon




Hattable says...


*not sure what else you'd call a light switch or a wall, but okay*

I'm sort of experimenting with my writing style in this novel, and being repetitive/over-using words is totally a valid writing style. XP
Uhhhh, oh, the translator batons were never mentioned before, so you aren't missing anything there. They're just sticks that you hit someone with and it lets them understand what you're saying, if you speak a different language. Because science. And logic. And yeah.





It is a writing style, but in this case it sounds a tad awkward. It's usually used for emphasis, which was not what I thought you were trying to do, apologies if I misinterpreted. I totally get the whole experimenting with your writing style thing though, makes sense. :) Erm, I would say "part of the room" instead of "part of the wall" in places where you've used wall a lot if its not your intention to be repetitive, or describe the material the wall is made of etc. And I don't mean calling the light switch something different. You used the verb "switched" and "light switch" often, which is what I was referring to. In that case, you could just say "turned" or "flicked" etc. to help with repetition. If, however, there was a purpose to it, feel free to ignore my suggestions! Have a great review day!



User avatar
499 Reviews


Points: 6141
Reviews: 499

Donate
Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:18 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



*drops in*
Hi Hatt! It's been quite a while. :)

Finding one and pressing it promptly, she cast the tight room into a glaring cube of light.

The way I envision this, there aren't really that many shadows for Jason to hide in. Also, what shadows in one room are dark enough to hide a very pink person?

When Jason shot at the ceiling, I thought the can was exposed to space until I remembered that the last chapter said something about them being boarded. Still... It seems like Jason might reinforce that fact, or maybe Avery is wondering why there is a hole in the ceiling and he's not being sucked out into space.

“There are squids in space?” Avery asked slowly.

Didn't we determine this in the last chapter?

“No, no, it's fine. He can understand you!” she said. “That's just how, uh... How he says yes.” Billie squinted at her, then squinted over her shoulder at Avery.

“Weirdo,” he said, turning away and lining up with the other Cephalods. Jasmine faced Avery and nodded, giving him a concerned look.

I like how the Cephalods have that human trait of shaking their heads for no. It's quite funny. :)

“Oh, that's not all, my dear!" a cheery voice cried. A bright purple Cephalod donning a golden ring around his head was standing behind Jasmine. He was taller than the rest, towering far above his captors, and had a beard made up of tiny tentacles beneath the beak on his face.

I think you might want to use wearing rather than donning. I think donning is more like putting something on, unless the Cephalod really is doing that. I thought he just had some type of crown-thing on. Also, beak is just kind of casually thrown in there- do they really have beaks, like bird beaks? Maybe you could say something about it, though I do like the idea of a tentacle beard. XD

Overall, I thought this was very entertaining and funny, and I had forgotten where Jason had gone, so him coming out of the shadows was a bit of a surprise. I have to say, Jasmine is really cool and she makes things very interesting for Jason and Avery. ^_^ Hopefully I'll get to your next chapter soon!

-Falco




Hattable says...


It'd been months since I wrote chapter 9 when I wrote this, so some bits don't connect very well, hence Avery apparently asking if there are squids in space again. >.>
Shadows can easily hide a pink person such as Jason - just as easily as they could hide a white person or green person or orange person - Jason doesn't glow or anything. (Unless I said he did before and I forgot that too >.> )
It was really late at night when I wrote this, so I guess I forgot just what "donning" meant. o.O I'll fix that.
Yes, the Cephalods have beaks, 'cause squids do. The Cephalods' beaks are on the front of their faces, though, rather than hidden in their tentacles or whatever. I thought I mentioned that more than once. O.o

The room kept changing size in my mind, so I described it as a small, tight room, but I'm not really sure if I'll keep it like that. >.>

Remember, I barely edit these chapters before posting them. :p

So yeah, there are some disconnections between this and the last chapter. I'll try to fix everything when I go back to write the second draft.

Thanks for the review, Falc!



Que says...


Eee sorry I guess shadows can hide a lot. ^~^ Also sorry for the nitpickiness. >.> But it is a good chapter.




If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber