z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Shadow

by HannibalStead


A flash of steel.

A drop of blood.

These scars are real, 

And he thinks that he should 

Have put that kinfe down, 

Back at the start.

Before he started to drown,

Should have been smart.

For now he is a shadow,

Of what he used to be.

It can happen to anyone,

You,

Or me...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 513
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 am
View Likes
Rainy wrote a review...



You have a good idea and message you want to portray to the reader but the poem only has few examples making your message not as strong as It could be. Instead of telling the reader show the reader, you are stating lots of things upfront to the reader. You should hang the text over a little make the reader wonder, it makes a more dynamic writing piece. Although you should definitely make some changes over all you have a great writing piece that just needs to be refined!

Regards,
Rainy

PS: If you would like any further help or advice just message me and I will definitely help! Good Luck! :)




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 1230
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:07 am
TaylorAllen wrote a review...



You can definitely extend the last two lines. Take out "you or me" and instead give specific examples of people we see every day, like the girl in the back of the classroom or the guy at Wal-Mart. It's actually more relatable than "you" because the reader will likely deny it, and that's not good. Other than that, I like this because I do identify with the message a good bit.
I would move "have" up a line, so it starts with "put." it sounds better, in my opinion.
put a comma instead of a period after "start" to maintain flow. Add "he" in front of "should have been smart," and i'd make it a new sentence, but that's me. Take out the comma after "shadow" for flow, too. I like the first two lines a lot, and i think you can continue to work with this piece for a while and make it really, really good.






Thank you for your comment, it is much appreciated but i disagree with your thoughts on the "you or me". I chose not to give real examples because it can happen to anyone and i'd rather not give a specific to image to who is and/or isnt affected. Most people when they see bad things happen think "it's alright wont happen to me" but the thing is it can, and thats basically what im trying to put across in this poem.
Thank you again for your advice though. :)



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 591
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:45 am
mpenzi says...



This is a great poem HannibalStead, It really does show how mental health can be an issue for anyone. I'm happy I'm not alone on this being my 1st day as YWS member






Thank you very much, :)




It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner