z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Exodus Appendixes

by HJYoung


Exodus

My first serious writing attempt at age 13, explained.

The Exodus

Alas, the Exodus,

The flee from darkness,

For there is always darkness in the light,

For there is always light in the darkness.

What do we truly flee from,

The darkness?

Or ourselves?

Or do we flee from the light in the darkness?

Or from things we cannot hope to understand?

As we flee, we remember,

The days bygone,

The past from which we learn,

For there is no darkness without the light.

Appendix:

The Encyclopedia Humanica

Version 165, 2200 A.D

The Humanica serves as a universal compendium of terms in the Standard Language.

Collective:

Anything pertaining to the unified government of Humanity, the Collective.

Association of the Sciences:

The solar system’s interplanetary organization for the sciences.

Plucharon:

The settlement on Pluto and Charon, connected via the River(a space elevator starting at Pluto and stopping at Charon).

Cylinder:

An O’Neill Cylinder.

Academy:

The prestigious school of the sciences, under the Association’s jurisdiction.

Eros:

The Kuiper Belt object where ES-69 is located-a large, icy asteroid.

Stellaser:

A star-based laser which is used to accelerate and decelerate interstellar spacecraft.

Proxima Centauri:

The closest star to earth, at less than 4.5 light years away.

Earth:

The cradle of humanity, now mostly a nature preserve.

Exclusionary Site:

Outposts used and created by the Association.

Lev-car:

Levitating-flying transportation vehicles.

America:

The strongest, most dominant nation on Earth before the Unification.

The Pyramid:

The capitol building of the Collective-8 km tall, and 10 km (about the cruising altitude of a commercial jet) wide. A space elevator is located on top of it, as is the LUNAS AI and the GHR.

Grand Hyperwave Relay:

The only FTLC transmitter made by man, it operates throughout the solar system as a means of quick communication by the Collective to all citizens.

Orpheus One:

The lunar ecumenopolis which is the capital of the Collective-formerly known as Luna Orpheus.

Apollo:

Planet X, a gas giant about four times larger than Earth-about a fourth of a light year from the Sun.

ES-69:

The Exclusionary Site where, on January 12th, 2176, Charles Lawrence and Shawn Trigos detected the disappearance of Proxima Centauri. This event signaled the beginning of the Auto War.

The Auto War:

The conflict between Humanity and the Antarean Nanite Superintelligence, which lasted from 2181, to 2194. The war ended in a difficult victory by humanity. It is actually unknown what caused the ANS to be destroyed. Nevertheless, the damage was so severe that Humanity had to start to expand away from the Sol system afterwards. This war is the only war in which an extraterrestrial intelligence was a belligerent, and in fact, is the only known extraterrestrial intelligence known by the Collective. There is much speculation as to who made the ANS and for what purpose, but all we know is that their creators, if they still exist, are tens of thousands of years older than humanity.

Kardashev Scale:

A scale used to measure space-faring civilizations by their access to energy. Type I civilizations control a planet, Type II controls a star, Type III controls a galaxy, Type IV controls a supercluster of galaxies, Type V controls the Universe, and Type Omega is a civilization that controls multiple universes if they exist. So far, we only know of 2 civilizations, and they are us and the Antareans. Humanity is currently Type 1.7 on the scale, and given that their nanoswarms were able to completely consume a star, the Antareans were likely, at the time of the nano-swarm's construction, a Type 2 civilization.

LUNAS:

The only known self-aware AI in existence. Central nexus is located on top of the capitol Pyramid-formally called Animus.

Cycler:

A rotating spacecraft designed for long term interplanetary voyages. Holds tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of people.

Von Neumann Probe:

A self-replicating robotic spacecraft.

Holo-screen:

A holographic display/computer.

Cannoneer:

Class of ship with onboard Kugeblitz black hole which is harnessed to fire a highly powerful graser(laser but with gamma rays) cannon which can have enough firepower to destroy medium to large asteroids-some models pack enough punch to decimate moons.

Flagship:

A manned control ship.

Regular:

A standard remote-controlled ship.

Kugeblitz Black Hole:

A black hole formed by radiation, as opposed to matter-extremely bright.

Gravity Render Field:

A distorted gravity field generated by a black hole which was used as a weapon in the Battle of Mercury, where Commander Kellor Nasmar sacrificed his ship and himself to destroy the generator and win the day for the Luna Orpheus Fleet.

Battle of Mercury:

The final battle of the War for Sol, where the Luna Orpheus Fleet met and defeated the joint Venusian and Martian fleet and ended the war.

Shield Field:

A protective energy field generated by a Gravity Render Field generator and an energy-repulsive negative energy field generator.

The Standard Exoplanet Scale for Potentially Habitable Exoplanets and Moons.

2/3/2247, Dr. Shawn Trigos.

A potentially habitable exoplanet/moon is classified as a planet/moon which is orbiting in the Goldilocks zone of it’s star or else has some mechanism which allows it to have liquid water and the chemicals needed for life.

9 modular classes of habitable exoplanet/moon, 5 levels of habitability, 5 levels of host life(if existing), 5 levels of intelligent life/civilizations(if existing), and 4 categories of host star.

C or Continental: Planet/moon with seasons, continents, and large oceans

Example: Earth.

T or Twilight: Tidally locked planet/moon with extreme heat on one side and extreme cold on the other, with a thin band of habitable land at the terminator.

Example: Proxima Centauri B.

O or Oceanic: Planet/moon with almost no land and mostly oceans.

Example: Possibly Kepler 62e.

D or Desert: Planet/moon with little to no large bodies of water.

Example: Mars in the past.

E or Eyeball: tidally locked planet/moon with two sub-varieties, hotter and colder, hotter with the side facing away from the star habitable, the other a scorching desert, colder with the side facing the star habitable, and a inhabitable icy other side.

Example: Possibly TRAPPIST-f.

I or Icy: Planet/moon with surface primarily of ice.

Example: Europa

L or Large: Super-earth, high gravity planet/moon with more than double mass and radius of Earth.

Example: Possibly Kepler 22b

S or Small: Planet/moon similar to Mars in size.

Example: Possibly TRAPPIST-f.

R or Rogue: Planet/moon not around a host star, was ejected out of host system.

Habitability Levels are determined by surface temperature, atmosphere content and mass, water, host star, and other factors.

1: Fringe habitability, very hostile to life, requires special habitats and equipment to survive. Common.

2: Hostile, requires significant equipment and habitats to survive. Common.

3: Reasonable habitability, may require some equipment and preparations to survive. Uncommon.

4: Could support life, requires little to no equipment to survive. Rare.

5: Gaian, perfect conditions, exceedingly fertile, very hospitable to life, and requires no equipment to survive. Very rare.

Note: Planets with levels 3, 4, and 5 may support life, from single-celled organisms to intelligent life.

Star categories are determined by host star’s brightness, spectra, size, mass, and other factors.

D or Dwarf: Small and the most common stars.

M or Medium: Medium size and luminosity. Earth orbits a Y class star.

G or Giant: Large stars, usually in the red giant stage.

H or Hypergiant: Huge stars, with huge mass and luminosity.

Notes: D class stars are very long lived, but may have lots of Coronal Mass Ejections, or CMBs. Class G and H star are short lived and volatile. Generally it is believed that class M stars are the most habitable for life.

Life Levels are determined by the complexity and multiplicity of life on the said planet.

1: Single-celled organisms.

2: Simple multicellular organisms.

3: Complex multicellular organisms.

4: Intelligent life.

5: Civilizations.

Note: Life Level 4 to 5 planets may have civilizations and species ranging from the Stone Age to planetary in development.

Intelligent Life Levels are determined by the complexity, multiplicity, intelligence, technology, and development on part of said intelligent life.

1: Non technological to Stone Age species, with intelligence akin to early humans, dolphins, octopi, and apes.

2: Agricultural species with agriculture, villages, specialization, and usage of more advanced tools. Similar to humans during the Agricultural Revolution.

3: Civilizations-writing, metallurgy, centralized government, and the likes. Akin to humans during the Bronze, Iron, Dark, and Renaissance ages.

4: Civilizations with industrial capacity, mechanization, and developed technology. Akin to 19th to early 20th century humans.

5: inteplanetary and space-faring civilizations with computers, advanced technology, and rocketry. Akin to late 20th century to modern humanity.

The equation to calculate the Exoplanet Score:

Variables:

I=Intelligent Life Level

L=Life Level

H=Habitability Level

X=Star Category Level.

Star Category Level=If D, then 4. If M, then 5. If G, then 3. If H, then 2.

I+2L+10H+7S

———————————

100

The reason the equations are set up with these ratios is because the basic habitability of a planet or moon matters first and foremost, and its host star type is almost as important. Next, the host life of the planet serves as extra scoring because it proves the planet or moon is capable of supporting life, because it is doing so at the present moment. Intelligent life on the planet/moon proves that it is old enough to evolve such creatures. The ratio is 5:3.5:1:0.5, in the order of H, S, L, I.

Example:

Earth

I=5

L=5

H=5

S=M=10

5+5+10(5)+6(10)

———————————————

100

5+5+50+60

————————

100

100

——— or 100%

100

Exoplanet Score=100%

Format:

Star Category+Type of Planet/moon-Habitability Level+Life Level-Intelligent Life Level+Overall Exoplanet Rating

Examples of Planet Entries:

Earth: MC-55-5-100%


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Fri May 07, 2021 12:37 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heya HJYoung,

It sounds like you have an incredibly interesting story! It's clear that you've got a well-thought-out system in place and that you've put a lot of time and effort into world-building, so kudos to you! I know that's something that I personally struggle with, coming up with a universe that has continuity and which makes sense for the particular story that I'm writing, so I really applaud you for figuring all of this out so early in your story.

I assume the first bit of this is your hook -- and that is also very well done. I like that you set up such an interesting complex, and also that you're planting those questions in our mind so we're like "hey, wait, that's a good question -- and I need answers, so I'mma read this book to know what it all means." And good hooks are also hard to write. So, all in all, a really solid start to your book and it seems that you have a clear direction for where you want to take this and have set yourself up well to be successful with that.

One thing I would suggest to you is creating a thread over in the Writer's Corner to post things like this. Lit works are really meant for things that you want feedback on, like a novel chapter or poem, etc. -- where this seems more like planning for your own benefit. Which is great! But, also, it's not really clear to me what sort of feedback you're hoping for with this piece, which leads me to believe that perhaps this would be better suited to a thread over there.

Just post a new thread (you can check out a few of the other threads first if you want an example of what people generally put in their threads) and then use that to workshop your novel. For example, some people put character profiles. Or world-building notes. Or an outline/appendix/etc. Some people also choose to post their chapters there as they write them, but no one gives feedback there, so if you're wanting feedback on your work then I suggest you continue posting them as lit works.

I think that's all I have for you! Hope it helps!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




HJYoung says...


ty!



HJYoung says...


Check out my profile, my latest status has most of my work in-universe.



User avatar
218 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 218

Donate
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:57 pm
dissonance wrote a review...



Hello again!

I reviewed the other, so might as well do this because I wasn't able to go into depth with everything last time. I've never really reviewed an appendix out of an educational setting, so this is quite the new experience for me today.

Now, formatting will make or break your appendices (which is the plural form of appendix; I honestly did not know that until recently) because each appendix will deal with a different topic, they will be labeled differently, and even the paragraphs should be on the left and not indented and sometimes are even written double spaced.

The title of each appendix should be set at the top of the page, centered, and bolded because that is what will draw the reader to the appendix. They might seem unimportant, but it's one of the biggest things you need because, like I said, it can make or break the whole experience of finding what doesn't fit in to the rest and reading the story as a whole.

It should appear somewhere around the title page, or the abstract, but it can also be near the text of paper, or the references list, tables, and figures (which are all pretty similar things and can be grouped together as one depending some circumstances.)

There's a lot of things happening there too, so I'd suggest a clean up; keep the knowledge that actually teaches people and organize the knowledge that isn't needed because it all runs together as it is currently. Typically, an appendix only holds so much information and wasting that on useless facts isn't a smart idea, in my opinion.

Can't wait to see more of this ~

L




HJYoung says...


Oky dokey, ill make sure to do that! ty for the feedback!




Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury