As the Clock Ticks

by HB1103

In childhood days,
Our dreams doth fly,
Like fairies in a summer sky.
Our minds are filled with endless play,
And life is but a joyful fray.

Some dream of knights and damsels fair,
Of dragons slain without a care.
Or wondrous lands beyond our reach,
And journeys we are yet to breach.

But as we grow and leave behind
The innocence of childhood's mind,
The dreams we had do fade away,
And life becomes a grueling fray.

Reality shall soon us hard,
Like waves that crash upon the shore.
We struggle to make sense of life,
And try to find our place once more.

The dreams we had are but a ghost,
A memory of times long past.
Yet, we must face a reality harsh
And make each and every moment last.

For though our dreams may fade away,
Our lives are but a fleeting day.
We must make the most of every hour,
And cherish life's sweet, fleeting flower.

Writer's Note:
Sooo, I made this story like last year after watching a TV Show which I was inspired by. Might as well share it on YWS (Come on, it takes me like a week to make just 1 poem alongside trying to keep up with homework, writing short stories, trying to write a Novel and stuff)

untrustingsemicolon wrote a review...

Hi there! I just want to say that I absolutely love this poem! The rhyme scheme was executed perfectly and did not effect the meaning behind your poem at all, which is admirable :) The similes, vocabulary and structure of the poem made it extremely engaging, and the clichés you included at the start truly evoke a sense of nostalgia. You managed to show so much emotion without directly saying it and achieved so much in such simple words! I'm hoping to read more of your poems soon~

HB1103 says...

Hey there, thank you so much for the kind words :)

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi HB1103! I'm here to review your poem. Apologies in advance if this review is a little unpolished—it's been a bit since I reviewed.

As someone who has recently been grappling with the reality of growing up, I found your poem's message especially relatable. I love the transition from a fantastical childhood to a more realistic adulthood. Your switch in imagery (fairies, dragons, damsels, and knights to something more real like waves and flowers) showed the development of both the audience and speaker.

I also was a big fan of your rhyming. None of it felt forced when I read it; it all flowed naturally.

My one critique is that I would have loved to see the flower imagery be more prevalent, either by weaving it in to the earlier stanzas or adding an additional four lines at the very end. Though the wave imagery is also more grounded in reality, the flower combined the whimsy of childhood with adulthood. It also ties in well to the descriptions of summer and fairies at the very beginning of the poem.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed your poem! Your voice was perfect for its theme.

I hope my review is helpful! Let me know if I need to clarify any part of it.

HB1103 says...

Hey there, thank you for the review and suggestion!

KocoCoko wrote a review...

Hiya! Koco (or Coko) here for a little informal review.

Man, does this poem hit pretty hard, especially when you're going through this very thing currently (even if I mostly had nightmares as a little kid, haha). The slow change to harsher, less whimsical words near the middle-end of the poem, showing age through the poem. Then, at the very end, it turns back into dreamy (get it?) Imagery.

For though our dreams may fade away,
Our lives are but a fleeting day.
We must make the most of every hour,

Just lovely.

Over all, wonderful poem! I'm not usually a poems-person, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one and it's messages. Bravo!
This has been KocoCoko- Until next time!

HB1103 says...

Hey there, thanks a lot for the compliments! I'm glad you like my poem :)

[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm