z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Cement

by GreyAM


Cement

Cement. Who would have guessed that gravel and sand would have been the realization of my youth dying. As it dries, adheres to earth, it took my childhood. My handprints stamped into its substance, the tires from my first bicycle now molded with the zigzags of the rubber. I can still hear my father.

“Don’t go through the cones, it’s wet still!”.

I didn’t know what “it” was. Now I know. Now I know that by disturbing the cement, by marking my territory, I would be faced with a swallowing feeling of sorrow every time I walked by. I would have to be reminded that no longer am I small and frail who, when raising my arms, would be effortlessly lifted up. Instead, I am small and frail; raising my arms just to find myself being put down. I have been robbed by concrete.

But the birds still sing, and the water still runs. The world will not stop for anyone but itself.

It is now 8:00 pm and the pillows along my bed are perfectly contrived so no one can see me. This university often makes me want to align any sort of barrier along my body and face to be hidden. I am a saturnine taste to the tongue, an eye-sore with too much to say and little to give; not welcome in a place like this. My father keeps telling me “You’ve got this. Hang in there!”.

But I don’t have a smidge of anything. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1064
Reviews: 30

Donate
Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:26 am
Plus-One wrote a review...



Hello Grey, first of all: welcome to YWS.
Second of all: great little piece you have here.

When I started reading this, I saw the marks in the cement as positive things, as signs that the character had left their own permanent mark on the world, so I was unsure how it robbed their childhood until...

I would have to be reminded that no longer am I small and frail who, when raising my arms, would be effortlessly lifted up. Instead, I am small and frail; raising my arms just to find myself being put down. I have been robbed by concrete.


I notice the other review highlighted this one too, but I have to reiterate it. It's a really poignant juxtaposition. And with that small section completely re-frames the whole story for me.

But let's do a more structured feedback (as always take what resonates and discard what doesn't work for you):

Overall: I think it carries a very somber and helpless mood that you're trying to express very well, and pairs that with a longing for the simpler more carefree times of childhood. I love the execution of that.

Improvements?: I'd say my only feedback for improvement is that it could be fleshed out more. It works well as a form of prose, but it feels like you've restrained some of what you want to express. I'd love it if you could dig deeper into some of the feelings towards the end, in particular why the character feels this way. There's a lot of strong feelings that have built up between the character's childhood and adult life and I feel like it would add to the story to explore some of that transition.


But that's all the feedback I have to offer on this, it was beautifully emotional and brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing it here!

Take care, and keep on writing!




User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 39462
Reviews: 151

Donate
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:57 am
PKMichelle wrote a review...



Hello friend!
Welcome to YWS! I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.


On first impressions, this was really incredible and poetic! It's a quick little narrative about growing up and still seeing your past ingrained in the cement from activities of your childhood that slowly turns into the bittersweet reality of adult life.


If I could offer any sort of advice, I wouldn't! You did a really great job with everything! The details and figurative language were beautiful and painted an amazingly vivid picture that went perfectly with the short story that was being told.


If I had to pick my favorite part, it would be the transition from being a little kid to being an adult in university. In just a few words, you were able to encapsulate what I imagine the feeling to be like. Saying,

I would have to be reminded that no longer am I small and frail who, when raising my arms, would be effortlessly lifted up. Instead, I am small and frail; raising my arms just to find myself being put down. I have been robbed by concrete.


This is insanely well done, so kudos to you!


Overall, this was a remarkable piece with so many incredible features that all readers look for when they read! It was certainly well done, and I wish to see more from you popping up in the future!


Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!




GreyAM says...


Wow! I never expected to get such an uplifting response! Thank you for taking the time to read my work and giving your feedback, it really does mean a lot to me. I am glad that you enjoyed it and I cannot wait to read your works too!




When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb