Two Hundred and Some Odd Years: The Eventful Year of 1830 (Prologue)

by GreenTea

Dear Reader,

Have you ever thought about how much there is going on in the world? Not just what's going on in your country, but what's happening in South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Oceana, North America... I'm sure you have thought of that, but have not paid very much attention seeing as these events do not affect your sheltered life. However, have you ever considered that there might be a bigger power controlling these factors? No? Well picture this; you might be sitting, reading this on your computer or mobile device, not having a care in the world while someone somewhere in a place far away is building something destructive. Something that could take out an entire country (well that's the idea), but it's still being built and doesn't have any effect on you. Yet. 

Now, imagine thirty years into the future and this invention has gotten so powerful that it has already taken out a few countries. But, you're still sitting on this computer, not caring because "Well it's not near me, is it? So, I don't care." Now imagine even further into the future where your home and your family are in danger of this invention. You cry out to whoever might be listening "Please! Help me I have done nothing to deserve this! Couldn't you have given me a warning?" That is where I see the gullibility of humanity. You were given warning signs, you were given time to prepare for the worst, but did you listen to them? The human race likes to blame things that are not themselves, even if it means the worst for them. There were so many warning signs, but no one took notice because they wanted to be in their own safe bubble in their own country. It is hard to believe that there was so much going on but no one heard about it. Knowing what is happening in the world is important, but that isn't my point. Returning to the main question, how many eras in the past have you thought could be occurring at the same time? Quite a few, actually. Let's take the 1800's for example.

The year is 1830 and there is a lot going on in the world. So many cultures and countries being developed, torn down and remodeled... It is insanity to think that someone from the Edo period of Japan could have existed at the same time as an American cowboy. The eighteen hundreds were home to many, many developing cultures that are so incredibly different from each other, it is thought impossible they exist at the same time. Some examples may include the Qing Dynasty in China, the Russian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the Victorian Era in England, the Zulu Kingdom in South Africa, and the July Monarchy in France. Only one thing connected these many eras, and that was magick. 

Now, reader, you may be thinking "Magick? That's ridiculous! There's science to prove that wrong! Magick doesn't exist!" Now that is where you are wrong. That entity you were praying to when the dangerous invention threatened your home? All of the warning signs on the news? That was a small example of magick manipulating the events in the universe to foreshadow what could happen. A more, well known and accepted example of this could be a God. "But I don't see a God, hear a God, or feel a God," you object, "So, therefore, it cannot be real!" Yes, you are half right, but take this into consideration; you can't see your brain, hear your brain, or feel your brain, so therefore, how do I know you have one? The same principles apply; we know how it works, but we don't know why.

Magick is a force, a natural force like gravity, that humanity had started to understand over their existence, spanning from the development of Mesopotamia to the birth and death of Jesus Christ to the early twentieth century and beyond. Unbeknownst to a lot of people, humanity did not create this magick; in fact, humanity is being narcissistic is believing that. It has simply been difficult to notice because of the small-mindedness of this race. Instead, most turn to science, a type of magick so simple to find and easy to control that humanity believes it is the overall dictator to the way the world works. However, this is false because science is a simple definition of the universe, a fraction of the real definition. It goes no deeper than a few billion years into the intertwining fabrics of time and space. Science can provide humanity with the "how" but it can't provide them with the "why".

1830 is the year where magi, the people who have taken to studying different types of magick for years, start to understand the convoluted definition of the universe that is magick. Innovation was growing and humanity's knowledge was evolving into something more advanced, something that could tell them the reason why everything exists and what dictates the direction of lives, events, evolution, and planetary balances. However, things started to backtrack and the very fabrics of the universe started to unravel because of a small mistake. A mistake that seemed like a grand invention, one that could manipulate time itself. Ever hear the words "time is an illusion" from Albert Einstein? He was not wrong in this statement, but he wasn't correct either.

Yes, time is an illusion, but humanity as a whole makes it so. They simplify the definition of "time" into something that is physical, that can be manipulated and yes, it can be manipulated however what humanity doesn't think about are the repercussions of doing so. This one person created something so incredibly dangerous, it could change the path of the world as we know it. That is why when fourteen individuals, children really, accidentally set off this invention and travel two hundred and some odd years into the future, it started one of the greatest universal magick scandals in all of history. One of the greatest scandals that involve individuals from over ten thousand years into the future and the past, interplanetary explorations, major historical altercations, and almost the end to all that has, is, and will be existing. 

This world is small, but the universe is big. Getting into a quarrel with it is a recipe for disaster and some facts about how everything works are best left undiscovered. You, the reader, will question a lot of what you see daily. You will think about the "what if"s, the "how does"s, the "could I"s, and the "should I"s. You will wonder if this is something that could be real, or if it's just a silly fantasy made up by a dinky young author on a writing website. But keep this in mind, dear reader; whether you can or not, you should stop...

...and think....

...and debate if you should do it because the consequences can vary from beneficial to malignant. 

Keep this in mind reader and remember some things are better left unsaid or left two hundred and some odd years in the past. 

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:37 pm
Junel wrote a review...

Hey there! Woah to starting off in a weird, but none the less amazing way. You really accomplished your goal and made me start thinking. You introduce your fantasy aspects slowly and perfectly, fitting in so that they make sense and really make me believe in what you are saying. Your examples are also amazing, really connecting with a reader in an interesting way.

I think you also are giving lots of hints as to what your story is going to be and I love it. I can't wait to read your first chapter.

I think the biggest problem with prologues like this is that once a reader sees "a letter" to them a large portion of people are going to quickly skip it, assuming that they can get by without reading it, seeing it as boring. I think you do a good job of capturing a readers attention, and as I got farther in it definitely didn't seem boring, but that's something you could think about, working on because improvement is always possible.

Good job, I loved it!!!

Sláinte -Junel

GreenTea says...

Thank mah frien

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:04 am
Elinor wrote a review...

Hi Tea!

Ellie here to give you a review. Well, this is an interesting premise for a novel, and I'm certainly intrigued to see where it goes from here. I personally love historical fiction, but there's nothing I can think of offhand that is both historical fiction and fantasy, except maybe the recent Fantastic Beasts movie, but that already exists in an established universe.

Will the rest of the novel be written in this tone? I'm curious. As a reader, I'm not sure rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure what this prologue is going to end up having to do with the rest of the story of that you're telling. While I'll be the first to admit that I don't read nearly enough as I should, I can't think of any example offhand where a prologue was absolutely necessary.

I think it's great that you want to talk about these issues, but here, you're telling instead of showing. Other people might disagree, but I'm personally disparaged to works that try to reference anything too current. It dates it fast. You want to show that the past was not too different from now. That's a great thing to want to convey! A lot of people have done it effectively, but it's usually a natural result of conveying a sort of universal human truth.

I'm certainly curious to see where you go from here. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

GreenTea says...

Hello there Elinor!
I wanted to introduce this series as a sort of mysterious and thought-provoking series because most of the story will take place in the present. This offhand prologue will have some sense, but the point of the story is not to make sense. It's supposed to make you think and make connections on your own (well at least that's the idea!). Thank you for your review!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 pm
Erise says...

Thought provoking and mysterious...

GreenTea says...

Why thank you!

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor