Blasphemous Teachings

by God

Blasphemous Teachings

Prologue

"You have been charged with teaching blasphemy and heresy among the lesser folk," the judge spoke, his voice echoes across the room. "As all those present are aware, these crimes are punishable by death. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty" said the prisoner firmly, and surprisingly, for his face is a mass of fresh cuts and bruises.

"How do you mean 'Not guilty?' Surely you do not deny the fact that you have spoken against our doctrine?"

"No, your honor."

"Surely you do not deny spreading malcontent and discord among the lesser folk? Why, we have had no less than three separate rebellions in the last month."

"No sir, i do not deny these statements." said the prisoner, his head held high, his confidence belies his situation.

"Then surely you are guilty?"

"No sir, for more than a thousand years, these "lesser folk" have lived under the tyranny and oppression of your kind-"

"Is it not our rightful place?"

"NO!" the prisoner shouts, his voices raised in passion. The guard standing beside him raises a small club, as if to strike the prisoner for this outburst, but is stopped by a small motion from the judge

"How can you speak such?" the judge says "You yourself were born into the higher folk, yet chose to live among the lesser."

"Yes sir."

"Then having been raised among us, you know the truth of our doctrine, you know that our superiority of strength and intelligence has attributed us our dominance over the lesser folk."

"We are not superior, neither more intelligent nor stronger, only better educated and better equipped." said the prisoner.

"It comes to the same thing, does it not? They were meant to serve, how can you not see this?" The judge has become exasperated, for want of food and drink. "Proclaim your guilt and end this. I tire of your presence"

With that, the prisoner looks at the judge, and began to speak, as if all of the earth and the heavens stood behind him. "Good sir, i have only taught them the truth, yes i educated them, i armed them with truth and knowledge, and i trained them to think for themselves. I taught them to read and write, so that they might better understand. I uncovered your lies and betrayed your secrets, but for to unveil your weakness to the world. Without your shadows, you are nothing and never shall be. If it is guilt that brings the truth to light, and guilt that bring the heart to hope, then so be it, I am guilty."

"I hereby sentence this man to hang until dead, for he has confessed to his guilt, without coercion, the crimes of blasphemy and heresy, and such is the punishment." the judge spoke with an evil gleam in his eye, and with that, he swings his gavel, the ominous sound echoing through a silent room.

The procession marched slowly out to the gallows, they are led by two torch bearing guards, and the same bring up the rear. As they reach the gallows, the guards proceed to fit the prisoner with the noose, pulling it around his neck. When they had finished, an announcer begins to speak.

"The prisoner has been brought forth on this day of the Equinox, to be hanged at dawn for the treasonous crimes of blasphemy and heresy. Have you any last word before the appointed time?"

"I do. For these past years, i have questioned the rule of my forefathers, and yet, i have come up with no convincing evidence of our superiority. Now i know that our rule has become stagnant, and shall soon fade into the mists of time. For i have set to spark a tinder of truth, and it shall light, mark my words, the flames of revolution will spread, until all of the higher folk know the pain and suffering with which the lesser people live, until your rule has been torn asunder, and then, only then, will justice be served."

A nod from the judge, and a soldier pulled the lever. The creaking of rope taut against oaken beams, the only sound in the cold morning air.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:56 pm
Phantomofthebasket wrote a review...

Hmm. I liked it.
It was very interesting to read and I'm curious as to see what happens next.
The only problem, that I saw?
Watch your "i". You keep on forgetting to capitalize the "i", something that should always be capitalized, as I'm sure you know. ;D

I also liked your descriptions, they were very good.
Really, all you have to is watch your capitilization.

Good job once again.
-Basket-

Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:17 am
JFW1415 wrote a review...

I don't have much time, but I'm trying to keep up with my goal of one critique a day, so if something doesn't make sense be sure to PM me and I'll explain myself more fully.

I really liked the idea of this - I can see that you're going to go far with it. You already have some pretty well set out characters. Only problem? I don't care about them.

The sign of a truly amazing writer, in my opinion, is when they can make me cry over a death. I had hardly gotten into this story when you killed him, though, so why should I care? I just pass it off.

There's a saying, though I don't know who first said it. It's 'when your neighbor loses their job, it's a recession. When you lose your job, it's a depression.' Basically, whatever hits closest to home is the worst thing. If some random person dies, I won't care so much. If my best friend dies, I'll be very upset.

Work on that. Get us to care for this person before you kill them. One way you could do so without spending a whole story on it would be to focus more on his actions. Remember, dialogue tells very little about a character. We listen to actions, not words. Focus on details - let us feel for this character. Focus in on him. Does he have handcuffs biting into his skin? Are all eyes on him? What? Give us a feel for his surroundings, and his words will have so much more meaning.

PM me for anything.

~JFW1415

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:59 am
thebeatlesno.1fan wrote a review...

God wrote:Blasphemous Teachings
Prologue

"No, your honor."

"Then surely you are guilty?"

"Is it not our rightful place?"

"Yes sir."

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:09 am
Flemzo wrote a review...

Hey God (hah),

I'm going to through this paragraph by paragraph, offering suggestions where I see fit, okay? Let's begin:

God wrote:"You have been charged with teaching blasphemy and heresy among the lesser folk," the judge speaks, his voice echoes across the room. "As all those present are aware, these crimes are punishable by death. How do you plead?"

As of right now, I'm not sure when this is set. My mind immediately wants to go to the Puritans, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe some set up to it, describing the courtroom and such.

Also, present tense really doesn't work, so let's try past tense (a few more corrections will be thrown in for fun):

"You have been charged with teaching blasphemy and heresy among the lesser folk," the judge said, his voice echoing across the room. "As all those present are aware, these crimes are punishable by death. How do you plead?"

To me, the above seems to read easier, but it's just a suggestion: take it or leave it (if you decide to take it, be sure to correct the whole story).

"Not guilty" the prisoner speaks firmly, and surprisingly, for his face is a mass of fresh cuts and bruises.

Comma after "guilty". And why is it surprising that he's speaking firmly with his cuts and bruises? Expand a little on that.

I think the question mark is supposed to be on the outside of the interior quote. Maybe some other grammar guru can correct that.

"No your honor."

Comma after "no"

Not so sure on your usage of "malcontent". This could be because I don't know what it means, and am too lazy to look it up. So, try to find a word that encompasses both "malcontent" and "discord", both of which are excellent words, but could probably be stronger.

"No sir, i do not deny these statements." he says, his head held high, his confidence belies his situation.

Capitalize your "I"s when referring to self. And "belies" doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the words around it. Maybe replace it?

"Then surely you are guilty?"

Single quotes inside a double quote; double quotes inside a single quote. Also, with an interruption, put two hyphens (in Microsoft word, two hyphens will automatically be replaced with a dash).

"Is it not our rightful place?"

"NO!" the prisoner speaks, his voices raised in passion. The guard standing beside him raises a small club, as if to strike the prisoner for this outburst, but is stopped by a small motion from the judge

Period at the end of your sentences.

"How can you speak such? you yourself were born into the higher folk, yet chose to live among the lesser."

Whoa, hold up here. "How can you speak such" what? Also, capitalize new sentences.

"Yes sir."

I'd put a period or semicolon after "truth of our doctrine". Also, I'd say "superior strength and intelligence", for flow. Get rid of "us".

"We are not superior, neither more intelligent nor stronger, only better educated and better equipped." says the prisoner.

I'd say "We neither more authority, nor more intelligence, nor more strength; only better education and better equipment." It works to keep the statements paralell and to help them flow.

Period at the end of sentences.

"Good sir, i have only taught them the truth, yes i educated them, i armed them with truth and knowledge, and i trained them to think for themselves. I taught them to read and write, so that they might better understand. I uncovered your lies and betrayed your secrets, but for to unveil your weakness to the world. Without your shadows, you are nothing and never shall be. If it is guilt that brings the truth to light, and guilt that bring the heart to hope, then so be it, i am guilty."

Capitalize your self-referential "I"s. Period (or exclamation point) after "truth". semicolon or colon after "educated them". Change "but for" to "only". Get rid of "and never shall be". Capitalize your self-referential "I"s.

"I hereby sentence this man to hang until dead, for he has confessed to his guilt, without coercion, the crimes of blasphemy and heresy, and such is the punishment." the judge speaks with an evil gleam in his eye, and with that, he swings his gavel, the ominous sound echoing through a silent room.

"I hereby sentence this man to be hanged" is what you want to say. Capitalize the beginning of new sentences.

Don't think you need to separate these into parts. They seem to flow together well without them.

The procession marched slowly out to the gallows, they are lead by two torch bearing guards, and the same bring up the rear. As they reach the gallows, the guards proceed to fit the prisoner with the noose, pulling it around his neck. When they had finished, an announcer begins to speak.

Take out "they are" before "lead" (and I think it's "led", but I'm not sure). "Torch-bearing". And "announcer" has somewhat of a positive connotation; find a similar, more ominous word.

"The prisoner has been brought forth on this day of December the third, to be hanged at dawn for the treasonous crimes of blasphemy and heresy. Have you any last word before the appointed time?"

"Last words".

"I do. For all my life, i have questioned the rule of my forefathers, and yet, i have come up with no convincing evidence of our superiority. Now i know that our rule has become stagnant, and shall soon fade into the mists of time. For i have set to spark a tinder of truth, and it shall light, mark my words, the flames of revolution will spread, until all of the higher folk know the pain and suffering with which the lesser people live, until your rule has been torn asunder, and then, only then, will justice be served."

Capitalize your self-referential "I"s. "Rules." Capitalize your self-referential "I"s (does it seem like I'm repeating myself?). Semicolon after "mark my words".

A nod from the judge, and a soldier pulls the lever. The creaking of rope taut against oaken beams, the only sound in the cold morning air.

Excellent ending!

Obviously, you have some capitalization problems, but those are easily fixable. I'd definitely change this story out of the present tense into the past tense, simply because it'll read much easier that way. Work on grammar, too.

And I'm not totally sold on the "higher folk/lesser folk" descriptions. "Aristocracy/peasants", yes, but "higher/lesser folk", no. Work on better, more concise descriptions of the two social groups.

Other than those couple of things, I really enjoyed this piece. Thanks for sharing with us!

Keep writing,
kf

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:50 am
mikedb1492 wrote a review...

If it is guilt that brings the truth to light, and guilt that bring the heart to hope, then so be it, i am guilty."

It's supposed to end as 'I am guilty.' You forgot to capitalize that 'i'.
they are lead by two torch bearing guards

You mean 'led' not 'lead'.

Overall this was good. You had great dialogs and your descriptions were nice as well. The only tip I can give you is to make these this story in past tense instead of present tense. That's not necessary, but truthfully, I haven't ever read anything in this style, so it sounds weird to me. Anyway, good job. I can't wait for the rest.

How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it’s just words.
— David Foster Wallace