z

Young Writers Society


18+

Mistaken Identity? Part 2

by GinaERufo


Warning: This work has been rated 18+.

Yes, I am back.

It has been roughly a week since I first began writing on this forum, putting today, September 15th,about two weeks from when I first had my...troubles.

To address a few things:

1. No this is not fake. A bunch of people commented on my last post claiming that this was written by a bot or wannabe writer. It isn't. I'm just a teenage girl who came to a bump in the road, and sought help from strangers on the internet. This being said, I've loved writing since I was young, but I don't share it often, which would explain why I might have a few grammar mistakes, but a broader vocabulary than some modern nineteen-year-old.

2. I know that I left all of you on a cliffhanger. I'm sorry. I realized a little too late that I was going to be...well, late, to my doctor's appointment and because of my illnesses all pregnancy thus far, I did not want to miss it in case I was given vital information. You understand, right? Besides, I didn't think that anybody would see it. Who gives a damn about a small town girl with a possible internet stalker?Apparently, a lot of people.

3. Thank you, to those of you who told me my story last week was boring. I know. It has only just begun, calm down. Alright, if you are still here reading this after all of my droning on, congratulations. You are one of the few human beings who has more of an attention span than a mouse. Read on J

So, I guess this is my life now. Where I left you off I had promised to continue the story the next day…oops. Anyhow, my boyfriend Harvey and I had just finished trolling the message sender, writing to them that his relationship with this “Florentina” seemed rough and maybe the dude needed some relationship counseling. It was funnier when it happened. But, then again everything seems funnier to me when Harvey is around.

Like I said in my last post, he has a great sense of humor and figured that since I put so much of my life online through my youtube channel and countless social media accounts, a fan had tried to troll me and had succeeded. Easy enough for me to swallow, so I agreed, he left, and I took a nap.

The next day was my first day of online school. I was meant to be going into my sophomore year of college at the University of Delaware, but my pregnancy had left me feeling so sick and depressed that I tended to have trouble getting out of bed, so online schooling seemed to be the easiest solution to my dilemma of wanting to learn, but being physically unable to go and learn. I was sitting on my bed, lights off so that the room was pitch black. The walls are navy blue and my curtains are a thick gray, so despite it being around noon, there was no light in my bedroom. I had just woken up, my fatigue getting the best of me, though it was earlier than I had been awake all summer. I opened my computer, but before I could check and see my first day of school assignments, I saw that I had gotten an email.

Florentina my love. I see you through your window, and I watch you breathe as you slumber. I wish to be next to you for eternity, but glass parts us. I miss you. Visit me sometime, darling. For if you do not wish to greet me by the river, I will give my love to another.

Fucking weird, I know. The old-timey language made me feel uncomfortable, and if it wasn’t for my love of horror movies, which almost left me immune to creepy shit like this, I would have been terrified. The only thing that kept me calm was the fact that I KNEW that there was no way anyone was staring through my window at night. Why? Because.

No, that isn’t my explanation! Really, no one could reach my house besides my neighbors, who I was fairly certain weren’t pulling these pranks on me.

I live in Dover, Delaware, in a big house, in a forest, off of a highway. The entrance to turn off of the highway is covered by heavy brush, so you have to be fully aware that it is there to see it. Once you make the turn, you have to drive down a steep, bumpy hillside through the forest. There are fifteen houses, fourteen of which cannot be seen from the highway. Basically, if you don’t know that there is a neighborhood down there, you can’t see it. That being said, leaving the neighborhood is equally as difficult as entering, and so our neighbors have developed a close relationship with us in the decade we have lived here, and I had often played with the other kids in the river that runs behind the houses, or the jungle jim that all of the fathers came together to build.

So, with that information you can see why nobody was looking through my window; nobody can find it. And, even if they could, you’d need a ladder. It isn’t possible and I didn’t even want to entertain the idea of it. So, I brushed it off and did my school work.

That night, I went out to dinner with my childhood best friend Daniel. He is the type of guy who has been in a fair share of relationships, and set me up with my first boyfriend, a total asshole who cheated on me after we had been dating for a year and a half.

For a girl who is expecting, and has a loving boyfriend, I hate romance. I don’t see why people can’t be independent and live their own life without having to share it. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Anyway, I was eating with Daniel and we were waiting for the check to arrive. As I was shoving salad into my face in the crassest way possible, our waiter came to the table, laying down the check, and then holding out a piece of paper to me. The paper was yellow and lined from what I could see, and the ink was bleeding onto his fingers where he was holding the paper. He smiled a bright, warm smile. One that you would expect a waiter to wear when they bid you good bye after your meal. “A man came in and told me to give this to the young lady at table 7…I presume that is you?” He said, nodding his head a little toward the paper.

He had been holding it for too long, but my social anxiety took over my body too much that I could hardly reach out and take it from him. I did, but not before half of the ink had already blead into his palm. He left without a word, and I smoothed out the paper to read it carefully.

“Harvey wrote you a love letter?” Daniel asked. I shook my head with a little bit of a laugh, because he knew that Harvey and I don’t do those types of things. We aren’t a sappy couple. I mean, we only just celebrated our one-year anniversary yesterday, we weren’t madly in love or anything. So, I reviewed the note, asked the waiter if he wrote it, asked him to describe the man, and asked Daniel if he was playing a joke on me. This is what I got:

  • 1.Florentina, you have wronged me. You haven’t reciprocated my love. Fine. I will mo_ e on. I have found a new love, R_ _ _. She loves me like you never did. Go on, and love that _ _ n that I saw you with the other night. How could h _ poss_ _ ly love you like I have. I _i_ h you the best, as _ _ both move on, and _ rea_ _ new _ _ _ _ _ with other people.

I love solving riddles and puzzles, but my head hurts so bad right now that I can’t be bothered to decipher. Please, write down below what you think the message says. If I don’t know, I may just go insane.

  • 2.The waiter said he had not written it, and that he could prove it because he had been in the kitchen when the man walked through the door, but was told by another waitress to talk to the man since he was serving my table, not the waitress. She was questioned, and witnesses said that they saw the man walk in with the note, and it had not been written inside of the restaurant.
  • 3.The man wasn’t particularly tall, he had curly black hair, but wore a long beige jacket so long that it covered the rest of his face. He had an undetermined accent.
  • 4.Daniel was not playing a joke. I could tell from his face. We had known each other since we were infants and he has never lied to me.

So, I leave you with this tonight. I am heading to bed, but I will hopefully write soon. Something happened to me yesterday and today, in fact, but I can’t write about that right now. Not with this migraine. Please, if you are still reading this try to decode the message. I’m sure for some it is simple, but I just can’t do it in this state. I’ll see you guys tomorrow, please continue sending me your stories of similar occurrences, I’d love to see how you escaped them.

-Violet


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 pm
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Another cliff-hanger! So, I'm really curious about why a person would bother giving the message in code? That seems very odd, but maybe you have an explanation for that.

Another aspect that struck me as odd was the main character's relationships to Daniel and Harvey. I don't know, so far in the story it feels like Violet connects more with Daniel (in that small scene we had) than with Harvey (who accused her of cheating in the last chapter).

Again I think the narrator's voice is strong in this piece. There are a few aspects that could have some improvements made.

So sometimes the descriptions seemed really pointless to the overall story, like they were stuck in important points of the plot and seemed insignificant. For instance the details about the navy blue room and the details about the colors, ink, and lines on the note -- neither of those details really helps a reader connect to the plot or characters and don't seem to be symbolic or preminiscent of something to come, so it felt a bit un-needed.

I did feel like there's still a lot of character description lacking though, this of course can come in later chapters but I still have little idea what any of the characters look like.

One last little critique is that I think the formatting needs more consistency. The bolded portion, then numbered list, then bulleted list didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason, and didn't seem the same as the last chapter. I think all of this could have honestly been in regular non-bolded text, to keep everything clear and consistent.

Overall, still an interesting piece and I'm curious about all the mystery here and if we'll get to learn anything more about Violet's day-to-day life.

~alliyah




GinaERufo says...


Hi Alliyah! Thank you so much for your review, it helps me a ton to hear from my readers :) You made some great points, and I love how all of my reviewers seem to be slowing connecting the dots to things...think about your Daniel vs. Harvey theory a little more in the next few chapters ;) I was trying to be inconsistent because I felt like that would be more realistic for a teen girl in a crisis, but if it isn't well received, than I will try to change it.

I will be posting the next part around or before 7 P.M east coast time, so I hope you continue to read!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 pm
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there! MJ stopping back for another review. Sorry I didn't get to it earlier, but here I am, back to make it all up to you!

But, then again everything seems funnier to me when Harvey is around.
Misplaced comma. It should be "But then again, everything..."

I live in Dover, Delaware, in a big house, in a forest, off of a highway. The entrance to turn off of the highway is covered by heavy brush, so you have to be fully aware that it is there to see it. Once you make the turn, you have to drive down a steep, bumpy hillside through the forest. There are fifteen houses, fourteen of which cannot be seen from the highway. Basically, if you don’t know that there is a neighborhood down there, you can’t see it. That being said, leaving the neighborhood is equally as difficult as entering, and so our neighbors have developed a close relationship with us in the decade we have lived here, and I had often played with the other kids in the river that runs behind the houses, or the jungle jim that all of the fathers came together to build.
This was a really heavy paragraph, so I would cut out a few of the specifics and just tell the reader enough so that they get the idea that it would be very hard to access the reader's house.

don’t see why people can’t be independent and live their own life without having to share it.
Double negative makes it confusing, so it would be better to say "I think that people can be independent and live their own life without having to share it"

Please, if you are still reading this try to decode the message.
Final nitpick, but there should be a comma after 'this'.

The action picked up a bit in this story, which I enjoyed. Your last story was a bit flatter, and this one took the stalking up a notch and involved the reader by incorporating a puzzle into it for them to solve, which made it more mysterious.

As my critique, I didn't really like how the story jumped around instead of following a continuous pattern. You would cut out the slower parts, but the jumping around was inconsistent and shortens the story into something a bit shorter than I think you intended. I don't really like the style of the Internet vlogs turned novel, and I think it would be better if you wrote it out in the form of a letter, or even in second person if you wanted to keep the reader involved. Even if you wrote this in first or third person, simply having a riddle or a puzzle there will encourage the reader to try and solve it.

I figured I would take a crack at solving the puzzle, so here it goes.
V osa an e ib w s we ch heights"

My guess is that this means "Vosaneibwswech Heights", and it's a place where he wants to meet up. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series, so when you publish the next chapter, please let me know, and I'll be there to review!

Best wishes,
MJ




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 5100
Reviews: 52

Donate
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 pm
View Likes
Dulcet wrote a review...



Alrighty, it's Dulcet here with a quick review, so I'll just dive right into it!

I'm curious as to what the end goal of writing this story is. Do you want to get it published as a book? It'd be kind of unfitting if I read this in the form of a book, since the chapters are actually forum post entries. It'd be cool if you could make this a website or something, that readers can scroll through and read, so they can absorb themselves into the experience... or something. Don't mind me, I'm just musing. xD Onto the meat of the review!

First, some kinks that are worth ironing out:

It has been roughly a week since I first began writing on this forum[...]


Just curious, what kind of forum is Violet posting in? I don't know much about forums but typically they're tailored for specific groups - like how YWS is for writers, for example, and another forum might be for people who like sewing or archery and whatnot. I just wonder if these kinds of posts are typical in this forum she's posting in.

You are one of the few human beings who has more of an attention span than a mouse. Read on J


That's a strange expression, to me at least. I've heard of "you have the attention span of a goldfish," meaning the person has an incredibly short attention span, but I've never heard any saying about the attention of a mouse.

Also, I think there's some letter missing at the end of this paragraph? Otherwise I'm not sure what "Read on J" means.

[...]but not before half of the ink had already blead bled into his palm.


Would the waiter not notice the ink on his hand? Especially since pen ink stains doesn't come out of skin easily. It just seems out of place that the waiter's reaction isn't mentioned, if he has a reaction at all.

[...]but wore a long beige jacket so long that it covered the rest of his face.


"long beige jacket so long" is redundant. I'd suggest removing the first "long". Besides that though, I think you mean the jacket's collar is so long that it covers his face, not the jacket itself.

The "love letter":

First, let me say that you've absolutely nailed the voice of the 'stalker'. Somehow, the old-ish choice of words makes this creepier.

Second, here's my take on the blanks:

Florentina, you have wronged me. You haven’t reciprocated my love. Fine. I will moVe on. I have found a new love, R_ _ _. She loves me like you never did. Go on, and love that MAn that I saw you with the other night. How could hE possIBly love you like I have. I WiSh you the best, as WE both move on, and I reaCH new _ _ _ _ _ with other people.


I'm tempted to say "heights" for the last blank, but there's only five dashes there and I'm not sure if that represents the number of letters? But anyway, it was fun deciphering the little letter!

I do have to say, however, that when narratives use riddles/puzzles like this, there's generally a pay-off at the end for the reader. Revealing new information (that the reader wouldn't have known if they didn't solve the puzzle), an "oh snap!" reaction, or whatever it may be, there's usually more to it than just "Yay, I solved it! Now what?"

Basically my point is, in this case, the puzzle doesn't add much to the narrative. I would have reacted the same with and without it, which renders the puzzle unnecessary (other than being a time-waster - not in a bad way, mind you). If you could change the riddle up a little so that there's more pay-off, that'd be great.

I also have to say, you probably don't have to worry about this too much until the second draft. It's just something to keep in mind when you complete this and go back to edit.

General thoughts:

- The main character is nineteen and pregnant? Hoo, boy. Makes me wonder how the pregnancy will play a part in this story. After all, teen pregnancy isn't a topic that's brought up for no reason, in fiction.

- I've gotta give a round of applause to Violet, though. I'd totally use pregnancy as an excuse to get off education, but Violet's powerin' through her achey bones and morning sickness to get stuff done. xD

- Your prose has certainly become smoother compared to the first chapter! It sounds natural, like a real person talking and sharing their story with me. There were even moments where I laughed - "shoving salad in my face in the crassest way possible" especially. :lol:

- Out of curiosity, I Googled the meaning of "Florentina" and apparently it means 'blooming' in Latin? Considering Violet's name is a flower, I refuse to believe the stalker calling her Florentina is a mere coincidence. xD

Annnnd that's all I have to say! I do look forward to seeing what you have in store for us next. I may not review all the time, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for this story and keep reading.

If there's anything I said that was unclear, please point it out and I'll explain to the best of my ability. Thanks for the great read, and I hope you have a wonderful day/evening/night~! :D




GinaERufo says...


Hi Dulcet, I am so happy you came to review this! Your reviews are so helpful and I love reading through them.
Anyway, in regards to the note, I think once you decipher the name of the stalker's new lover, you will have a "aha!" moment, but you were otherwise able to figure out most of it so, good job!

I'm glad you seem to like Violet, because it may be hard to get through this if you didn't :) yes, her pregnancy does have something to do with the story, as does her ability to continue her schooling through said pregnancy.
I'm glad you looked up Florentina, and I can't wait for you to read the rest!



GinaERufo says...


Part 3 is up!



Dulcet says...


Alright, I'll get to it tomorrow~!

Also, reading back on this, I realise I (wrongly?) assumed the missing letters in the note were a result of the waiter smudging the ink. You may want to make it clearer that the note purposely had blanks in it, and that the 'stalker' made it a riddle on purpose.

But yeah, you can expect a part 3 review from me soon! :)




I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan