Home » Literary works » Other » General

Agnus Dei

by Galatea

The note rises from a place primeval, guttural, just below my Adam’s Apple. It mixes with that of my fellows to create one, low, pulse. The sound spins, sparkling and crackling with vibrant vibration. The first Altos join in with their phrase, it snakes around our own in passionate joining as the soprano harmonies hover above us, a tentative crescendo and then suddenly pulling away, like a tsunami deciding it would rather return to the depths rather than crash upon the shore, saving it’s fury for another day.

Deep shimmer again lifts itself from a place hiding just behind my heart, bubbling with golden warmth just behind my cheeks and eyes. The music ebbs in liquid ecstasy, dripping down my whole body. I close my eyes to better relish the amber intensity of the all-at-once violent and exquisite coupling of dissonant chords and melodies both unique and the same.

My heart races with the rise of the song. The end is near—all who listen or sing can feel it. The first sopranos soar, the middle voices fill the sound from top to bottom, giving it width and breadth, the low voices, the Chosen Nine, hang upon the setting-sun warm resonation of notes that tenors would call blessings. We are the base and the heart of the sound. I dizzy with expectation. Closer, one, two, three breathe! One, two hold, hold for eternity, then let go. Let the music fly on its own.

It rings through the air in perfect dissonance. Floating above us, shimmering, it is as if one could reach out and touch the fragile splendor. Yet any motion at all will destroy the glass-like mixing of four pure notes. With a fluid motion of hand, the spun sugar essence dissolves and resolves into a deep gentle sound—that of a lullaby. Drifting through that primitive place is once again the perfect G. The air quivers as we decrescendo into silence alive with sound that once was, and will be again.

mise rere nobis

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:31 pm
Areida says...

I agree with pretty much everything said above. The feeling of all the voices coming together beautifully like that and knowing you're a part of it is just...incredible, and you conveyed that really well. Great job.

Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:17 pm
Chevy wrote a review...

I wholly agree with Crysi. However, I find myself connecting, as well but in an unusual manner. The topid is very original, and not what you would normally read. I was expecting something boring and a *rambler,* but that's not what I found. This is truly a beautiful piece of work. Probably the best thing I've read from you. Enough said.

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:44 pm
Sam wrote a review...

That ROCKED!! I don't write descripitive stuff very well, so I have a lot of respect for people who can. :D Although that choirish feeling is very hard to achieve, you got it perfectly...same thing kinda happens in band too sometimes...(I'll shut up about myself now)

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:57 am
Galatea says...

It is so nice to find someone who can connect on that level. Most people read this and go dur.....

Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:35 am
Crysi wrote a review...

*Feels an intense longing to sing in Honors Choir again*

Beautiful.. That accurately describes what it's like to sing in a choir, when everyone has been carefully selected from the top of their own choirs. It reminds me of when I sang Hashivenu.. It's a beatiful Hebrew song, starting on a low note, rising to a high note, and we sang it in a round, while surrounding the audience, slowly walking to our places on the stage.. *sighs*

I loved all the descriptions of the music itself. That's definitely what I feel when I sing with a good choir, play with a good band, or even just play a deep piece on the piano.

:D

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan