z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Hamas vs Israel

by GWM


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Innocents are being killed
Children are dying
Hamas or Israel
The people of Britain are on the march
Palestine! They shout
Israel, the government cries back
What does it matter
Think the people of Gaza
They bomb us all the same
Hamas or Israel
Both are wrong
Both are murderers
The world cowers under American bombs
They support Israel
Watch as the streets turn red
And the bodies pile up
What a shame they say
But there is little we can do

Kill, kill, kill
More genocide
When will enough be enough
When will it stop

Don’t let the bitterness of the past
Dictate the future
Put your guns away
Put peace on the table
Give it a chance
The world can heal, but only without the war

Rebuilding is often forgotten
Once the fighting stops or a new war starts
The media move away
So does the help
Minefields stay
Homes don’t rebuild themselves
Lives don’t go back to normal
It’s always the same
People get hurt

Palestine or Israel
What does it matter
Both will lose


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 842
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:58 am
Isbah says...



I love this.




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 196
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:19 pm
GusG wrote a review...



Nice work!

I like the contrast you draw between the various external, political perspectives on the war and the first hand, personal experience of the people caught up in it. I particularly liked the second stanza beginning "kill, kill, kill"; the repetition here very effectively emphasizes your anger and frustration at the inability of the warring parties to end the conflict and at all the people who are supporting one side or the other as if their 'team' were the good guys (almost like a sports match).

You have made good use of repetition throughout the poem, one instance being "Palestine/Hamas or Israel". The "or" stresses the division and opposition of the two and I like the way you resolve the poem by reminding the reader that regardless of which side secures a political victory, on an individual, human level there are no winners.

The more I read it the more I get the sense that the poem is directed at the bystanders of the conflict rather than Israel and Hamas themselves: to us who look on, participating in the events through the lens of the media while arguing about who we want to win.

Your voice and emotion came through quite clearly and consistently, which I didn't notice at first until I re-read the last two lines of the first stanza, which definitely have a voice of their own.

Keep up the good work!




User avatar
148 Reviews


Points: 9967
Reviews: 148

Donate
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:16 pm
Kaia wrote a review...



This is such a neat piece! I love how the short sentences add a sense of urgency and longing.
Despite this being such a hard topic to write about, you did not favor one side over the other which is quite incredible. Rather, the objective fact that peace must be found is well stated. The repetition of "Palestine or Israel" "Hamas or Israel" also brings home the importance of the issue finding resolution. It's almost like a burning question in heavy need of answer. My favorite line might be the one about "kill, kill, kill" it makes one weary of the word as one is weary of the war. The lack of punctuation also adds a nice sense of urgency-so much that there is no time for punctuation. The word choice is also right on! The point that lives and homes cannot be rebuilt is also a deep thought, that even after the end of the war, pain will still exist, that war is never the answer to anything. I very much agree with these points.

Overall, fantastic job here. I dont really have any suggestions for improvement. :)

-Kaia



Random avatar
GWM says...


Thank you soooo much. I was terrified of posting my first poem on such a controversial topic but you have put a smile on my face and made it worth all the doubt.



Kaia says...


So glad to have made you smile today. Never be afraid to post your opinions, friend! Someone will always agree with you. :D




You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind