Intrusive Thoughts

by GFB1011

"Am I good enough?" 

"Will I ever be good enough?"

"Do my feelings even matter?"

The intrusive thoughts come rushing in,

During the late hours of the night,

When you're at your lowest. 

Questioning their intentions,

Questions your intentions,

Not able to disseminate fact from fiction.

Your mind cloudy from doubt,

Thoughts twisting like a serpent,

Heart aching from a phantom pain.

Breaking down into tears,

Not listening to reason,

Wanting to be wrong.

"What if I-" do this,

"What if I-" do that,

"What if I don't."

The voice of reason speaks up,

Shining a light in your darkest hour,

Giving you a shoulder to cry on.

Letting you know it will be alright,

Letting you know you'll be okay,

Helping you think clearly again.

Corrupted thoughts become discarded,

Twisted memories untwine,

Heart healing from falsities.

"I am enough."

"I will be good enough."

"My feelings matter."

ObieChristian says...

That line "I am enough," it just knocked the wind out of me. It's simple, yet it carries the weight of a thousand affirmations. It's a mantra to repeat when the darkness whispers, a shield against the serpent of doubt.seterra

Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:33 pm
epotts1 wrote a review...

First off thank you so much for this lovely poem. Secondly, as someone who suffers from anxiety this poem is such a great illustration into what it's like. I usually feel like I'm in the passenger seat and my worries and fears take the drivers seat. I hate it so much but you were able to write about what it feels like in poetry. That is fascinating. I loved your poem so much! GREAT JOB keep writing!

Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:22 pm
EllieMae wrote a review...

Thank you for sharing your lovely poem. I felt like I was able to connect deeply to what you said. I feel like you did a wonderful job an capturing how you feel. I love the statement you made. What is I- do this? really got me. Especially the What if I dont statement. I felt like that was a bold, stopping statement that really allowed me to think. I loved the ending. I can feel the heaviness and I was able to personally connect with those statements. They remind me of positive affirmations that I use when I feel overwhelmed, especially with these intrusive thoughts.
Enjoy your day and keep writing! I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.
-Ellie

GFB1011 says...

Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:18 am
ariah347 wrote a review...

This is powerful and profound. It outlines those intrusive thoughts that absorb the mind when you experience anxiety. As someone who suffers from it and has battled all day, every day, with it, this makes me feel understood and that I am not alone. This also can echo someone who has a fear of judgment from others or strives for perfection. I appreciated how it starts with quoting 'Am I good enough' / 'Will I ever be enough' but then ends with 'I am enough' and ' I will be good enough.' The battle between worry, reason/fear, and logic/reality and what the mind can make up is demonstrated through that contrast. The repetition of how lines start the same ("questioning", "what," "I") is also a great touch to emphasize how monotonous and repetitive the mind can be. I really enjoyed this! Wishing you well wherever you are in the world ♡a

GFB1011 says...

And likewise friend.

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green