12+

About

by FruityBickel

It's waking up to
dysphoria,
a hated chest and
missing appendage.

Lungs lapping up
stuffy air,
stretched out ACE bandage
bruised up ribs.

It's about school and
tests,
laughter and
held back tears and
counting down the days to
high school.

Newspaper and friends
a new start, a new me.

The days to freedom,
to absolute freedom

for these itchy feet, a
need to satisfy this
wanderlust.

It's about late nights
with her, with old scars
and scary memories
I'd rather avoid.

Deleted conversations
tear stained pillows.

5 am 
and crashing.

It's about music.
Of the lyrics that
spill out the secrets
I'm too afraid to speak,
words frozen across my tongue.
It's about putting on the
war paint, dancing to 
the beat of my own drum.

The screams into silence
afraid of confrontation
turn the volume louder.

It's about doubts and fears
and poetry and thoughts and
hate and love.

Am I ever enough?

It's about jeans,
band shirts and backpacks
and Anarchy buttons.

About presenting as the male
I am on the inside.

Advocating equal rights 
for everyone
and little notes in my
back pocket.

It's crushes and
lack of sleep,
wondering if I'm on
anyone's mind

like she's on mine.

Endless nightmares, endless
dreams, endless
thoughts.

Racing around my mind
like electrified thumps
of a beaten down heart.

It's about life,
about Ayden,
about me.

About finding out
who I am, what I
was put here for.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:30 am
emeraldfox wrote a review...

What a beautiful and emotional poem, Ayden! I loved it!

This poem was so full of energy and personality. You had such great imagery and I could picture everything you described so well. I loved how you described all the ups and downs and inbetweens of finding yourself and becoming who you were always meant to be. You created an image in readers' minds of turning yourself inside out to show how you feel on the inside and how you are becoming that person on the outside, too. You had beautiful word choice that told your story perfectly. You didn't have any spelling, capitalization, grammar, or formatting errors. Your use of punctuation was very strategic to add emphasis and increase the impact on readers.

I'd really like to offer some improvements, but I can't think of anything that could improve this poem. You clearly took your time to edit it and it payed off!

This poem took me on quite an emotional trip. I felt your frustration, joy, anger, sadness, hope, pain, fear, contentedness, doubt, and satisfaction. Your words brought so many feelings to me! I absolutely love the way you write!
*likes*

Rurouni wrote a review...

Hey,
Yet again, you have done this amazing thing with words, Ayden.

I can feel the struggles once again, I feel the aches and pains.

This is just a really good poem. I can't seem to find the words on how amazing this really is Ayden.

Once again, you've shown us, how you feel, and, in a sense, about how you feel about yourself, which this poem offers as well.

I just, wow.

It's really good dude.

Your Friend,

pegasusgirl2

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hey there, Teeth.

This is really quite good. I really enjoyed reading it. Are you really just fourteen? Because you've got talent beyond your years.

Okay, this is kind of a love poem, but it's also about discovering who you yourself are. I think it might serve you better if you divide this into two parts, one about Ayden, and one about yourself. It's all mixed in together, and I want to see you and then Ayden, not together. But that's my opinion, and you should feel free to ignore that advice if you want. But if you were going to do that, I'd divide it with numerals. Like a part I and part II.

I also think that you should personalize this more. I can remember feeling the same way at your age, and if you had more of just yourself in the poem, and not a bunch of teenagers, it would make it a little more interesting for me. Not that it's not interesting now. I love it. I really do.

For me, the beginning is stronger than the end. The first two stanzas are like, WHOA. YES. And it's still good throughout the whole poem, but at the beginning (and 5am and crashing) we find the strength in the poem. The images are what make it strong. Here are the best stanzas:

It's waking up to
dysphoria,
a hated chest and
missing appendage.

Lungs lapping up
stuffy air,
stretched out ACE bandage
bruised up ribs.

It's about music.
Of the lyrics that
spill out the secrets
I'm too afraid to speak,
words frozen across my tongue.
It's about putting on the
war paint, dancing to
the beat of my own drum.

It's about jeans,
band shirts and backpacks
and Anarchy buttons.

All of these stanzas are image based and really show me how you feel, or what's going on or whatever. If you decide to revise this, I'd consider adding more images to the poem as a whole.

Now on to more nitpicky stuff.
It's about school and
tests,
laughter and
held back tears and
counting down the days to
high school.

This stanza really does nothing for me. I understand what you're trying to say, but it's so general, and it's not as good as the rest of the poem. I think you could do without it, really. We don't need to know that you're counting down to high school. In fact, it would probably help if we didn't. A lot of people will discredit young people's writing (even if they're not consciously acknowledging it) simply because they are young. I mean, you can put that in somewhere else if you MUST, but take what I said into consideration.

It's about late nights
with her, with old scars
and scary memories
I'd rather avoid

Again, this bit is quite general. I want to know about these "scary memories." Don't tell us they're scary. Show us. Sometimes we must delve into pain to get away from it. Don't be afraid to put down your most frightening memories in a poem. You will be stronger for it, and the poem will be stronger for it. I suggest a kind of fragment-y way of revealing your memories. Like "5 am and crashing." Because that was a fantastic little fragment and I want more of them. Also, if the memories are scary, it would create a slight tension and convey how you feel about them.

Deleted conversations
tear stained pillows

For me, this is probably the weakest part of your poem. I'm pretty sure I've written the exact same words before in some terrible emo poem that I've locked away in some drawer. "tear stained pillows" has been used many many many times, and you should stay away from cliches like that (there's even a song called "Tears on my Pillow" (by Little Anthony and the Imperials) from the 1950s). Though I do admire the style you write it in. Just watch out for the words that come to easily into your head. You might have heard them before and stored them away subconsciously.

The screams into silence
afraid of confrontation
turn the volume louder.

I wonder how this stanza would feel if the last line was an order.
"Screams into silence
fear confrontation.
Turn the volume louder."
Just a thought. I think it would be interesting. Why wouldn't you want the volume louder? It would be easier to hear who you are.

It's about doubts and fears
and poetry and thoughts and
hate and love.

Again, general. Put yourself into it. What are your fears? What are your doubts? I want to know you, not all the teenagers.

It's crushes and
lack of sleep,
wondering if I'm on
anyone's mind

like she's on mine.

Yes, you wonder if you're on her mind. But why? Just like I want to know you better in the sections about yourself, I want to know more about her specifically.

The ending feels a little too long. I think you could do without the last stanza.

Well, I really enjoyed reading this, and I really can't wait to see it when it's polished from solid to shining. I hope that this review was helpful. Happy poeting!

indieeloise wrote a review...

This was very coherent for something written in the wee hours of the morning!! I wake from a dead sleep to write something down all the time, so I completely know where you're coming from. I thought this was very strong. A few iffy line breaks and spelling errors, but other than that this was lovely. Your first stanza is by far the best. Love "dysphoria." Also, "5 am and crashing" is just beautiful. I like this little fragment here, and I think this poem would be even better if you had more of these types of vague but ambiguous liners inserted throughout the poem, instead of all thorough sentences and complete thoughts throughout. I think the last stanza is really unnecessary. You could just end the poem on:

was put here (for).

and you'd be well off. The only real complaint I have with this is that it's good, it's deep, it's relatable - but it's what just about every other teenager out there feels. I really like how the narrator mentions things that truly personalize them and this specific moment in their life - about looking forward about high school, "notes in back pocket," band times. You can tell that the things the narrator discusses mean a lot to him/her. Not a whole lot of imagery in here, however, and I think the content in this could be made 10x more original, more you if you linked that in. Tell us what parts of high school the narrator looks forward to, why they look forward to it - maybe pull a twist on a cliché or something fun like that.

This was lovely! Awesome rhythm. :)

Best wishes!!
~Indie.

indieeloise says...

On a side note - why was this rated for language? I noticed nothing that needed to be censored in this.

FruityBickel says...

Thanks! And edited.

dark wrote a review...

I really enjoined this poem. It's the perfect size, for me at least. It has no flaws that I noticed. Also it must have taken you a reasonable amount of time to write a poem that doesn't seem to be about anything in particular. Again, I really enjoined this poem. Keep up the good work.

BreBre says...

I like this poem:) You did well:)

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable