Home » Literary works » Other » Supernatural

Kendyll Nurse

by FourLeafClover

Full Name: Kendyll Jessica Nurse

Nickname(s): Ken, Kenny, Queen, Knife Lady, Boss, Lilac

Card: Queen of Swords

Age: 13

Gender: Female

Sexuality: Biromantic

Date of Birth: November 9th, 2007

Hometown: Tallahassee, Florida

Family: Kimberly Monica Nurse (older sister), Kamryn "Kam" Rebecca Nurse (younger sister), Ansley Maria Willard-Nurse (mother), Thomas James "TJ" Nurse (father), Andrea Kate Warren-Willard (aunt), Jacob Daniel Willard (uncle), Kathryn Ella Willard (cousin), Sarah Riley Willard (cousin), Jenna Ann Willard (cousin), Leah Hope Willard-Howe (aunt), Eli Evan Howe (uncle), Emma Wendy Howe (cousin), Carlie Grace Nurse (aunt).

Pet: Sammie Nurse (yellow lab)

Soulmate: Rylan Blake Martin

Friends: Farley Rose Bishop, Addison Violet Corey, Teagan Jean Wildes, Fisher Nicolas Redd, Nathan "Nate" David Proctor.

Appearance: Wavy elbow-length dirty-blonde hair pulled up in a messy braid bun, tanned skin, lilac purple eyes, 5ft4in, knee scars, some acne, athletic body shape, detached earlobes, scar through her left eyebrow, dirty & chipped nails, faded & beat up & oversized alligator t-shirt, black Under Armour running shorts (with pockets!!!), beat up white Converse high tops, red & orange & black braided ulthaca bracelet on left arm (I'll explain those later), red & orange plumeria swirl Soulmate Mark on upper left arm (shared with Rylan).

Personality Traits: Overprotective (sometimes to a fault), daredevil, selfless to a fault, creative, cunning, conniving, fiesty, sarcastic, loyal, aggressive, determined, easily annoyed, energetic, sporty, curious to a fault, activist

Interests: Ancient civilizations, archaeology, running, rugby, witchcraft, combat, activism, skateboarding, art

School: Card Academy

Classes: Acient Witch History, Advanced Combat, Witch Rights, Lunch (hey, it counts), Study Hall, Spellcasting 101, Safe Witchcraft, Demonology, First Aid, Magical Arts, Everyday Witchcraft, Deitology, Tarot 101.

Extracurriculars: Rugby, Cross Realms (like cross country, but in different realms), Track & Field, Pagan Archaeology, Equity Club, Knife Throwing.

Special Items: Ulthaca bracelet, enchanted throwing knives, Book of Shadows

Preferred Weapon: Enchanted throwing knives

Random Fact: Back at her human school (before Card Academy), a guy said that people can't create their own sayings (he obviously wasn't from the south), so Kendyll yelled "WHAT THE SHARKS IN A SCHOOL BUS DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?" and now says "What the sharks in a school bus?" a lot.

Favorites:

• Favorite band: All Time Low
  • Favorite song: "Dancing With a Wolf" by All Time Low
  • Favorite movie: Cars 2
  • Favorite show: The Owl House
  • Favorite author: Chandelle LaVaun
  • Favorite book series: The Coven by Chandelle LaVaun
  • Favorite book: The Rotten Witch by Chandelle LaVaun
  • Favorite sport: Rugby
  • Favorie food: EV Wagner's pulled pork sandwiches
  • Favorite flower: Bougainvillea
  • Favorite animal: Alligator
  • Favorite color: Orange
  • Favorite season: Summer

Yes, her dog is before her Soulmate. Labs before lads, y'all. If y'all thought it was lads before labs, you and Kendyll need to have a serious chat.

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:30 pm
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

I'm not sure I've ever stumbled across a character profile in the Green Room before, but I'd figured I'd give a stab at reviewing it. I guess I'll start with some things I liked!

First of all, I think this story sounds super interesting. It definitely has the makings of a popular YA/middle grade book, what with all the soulmate magic what have you. Kendyll seems like a very compelling character. I like that you've included her interests, and I'm especially excited that you put down archaeology! As a history/anthropology enthusiast myself, I feel like that's not a widely used interest for main characters, and I was quite happy when I saw it. I also enjoy her last name in connection to witchcraft and magic; I'm not sure if "Nurse" was a reference to Rebecca Nurse, but I thought it was a cool touch regardless of whether it was intentional or not. I also think you worldbuilding seems really great judging by some of the stuff you've listed here; the magic cross country bit was cool, and the classes also sounded like real classes that I would expect a witch to take. The last bit of it was also telling of Kendyll's character, and in a more unconventional way, which I think worked nicely with the other stuff you had going on. Nice job!!

One thing I might include is a little synopsis/context for what project/story Kendyll is going to be in. I did some digging on your wall and found this, and I think something like that would work really well just to preface this. I'm not sure how accurate it is anymore though, since it is from a couple months ago, but still. Something like that could help people who see this maybe realize why some character choices make sense, etc.

One thing I also wondered about was the "favorites" section. I think that to some extent they're useful, but they're also not the most important thing about a character. Again, there's no harm in having them there, but I feel like you were also missing out on some key details of her character, like main motivations, goals, physical habits, etc. You also take the chance that you might end up putting too much unnecessary information about your character in the story. Unless it's necessary to the plot/it's super important to Kendyll's identity, I don't think the readers need to know her favorite animal or season. It's a creative work you're writing, not a get to know you back to school sheet, you know? I also noticed that some of the favorites were real-life things, like The Owl House, Cars 2, Chandelle LaVaun, etc. Including real works in your own book is fine, but you run the risk of dating/making your book more inaccessible to those who read it. For example I had no idea who Chandelle LaVaun was, but if your character mentioned it in the book or made a reference to it, I might be more prone to confusion/think lesser of your writing. Again, no harm in putting it on her profile if it's helpful to you; just some stuff to think about as you transfer this into the real story.

Overall: great job! Kendyll seems like a superb character, and I'm looking forward to reading the actual story, if you end up publishing it on YWS!! Until next time!!

I love archaeology too! Since I noticed that not many characters enjoy it, like you said, I made sure to have the main character be obsessed with it.
Nurse is a connection to Rebecca Nurse, you're right. The other last names are references to those killed in the witch trials as well.
I'm glad you liked the worldbuilding! I was bit worried that I'd either done a huge infodump on her world or not shared enough.
The link is still accurate, and you're right, I should've probably include the synopsis.
That's a good point about the favorites section, I'll work on that.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:19 pm

This is a cool description for a character.I’m excited to see the adventures this girl goes on.Yes,pets always on first before boys,that’s true.She sounds realistic and that’s good.She’s like someone you might run into.I can’t wait to see who she’ll meet and how she’ll be in stories.I liked the description and I hope you have a good day/night.

Thanks, I hope you have a good day/night, too!

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson