Injuries

by FourLeafClover

I need time to rest, please

I need to be let

To take care of me

To have time to heal.

I'm in pain from my knee

And I keep adding more injuries

I just need time to rest, really

And not feel like I suck.

Thanks so much, coaches

For making usĀ think

That the injuries we're

Facing are apparently unimportant.

Us field hockey players

Know that we need

To recover and to

Take time to heal.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:52 am
BornToBeGreat wrote a review...

Hey how you doing, FourLeafClover?

I can't express how precise this is. I've definitely have been in the same situation as well and it isn't an enjoyable situation to be in whatsoever. Overall I like this poem however, I still think that it could use more descriptive words for the painful injuries that you have sustained. Knee injuries are not good to ignore, they need time to heal. I dislike how coaches ignore major injuries. We are not professional athletes who can easily play with sprained ligaments and even minor injuries as well. You did a fantastic job! Keep writing and stay strong!

-BornToBeGreat

YourFriendQuirks08 wrote a review...

Hey, here with a quick review.

I love the clear message in bold, it gives an end effect which I very much enjoyed. I also loves the short and snappy sentences - they went straight to the point, so it doesn't bore the reader and makes them more engaged.

Obviously, I need to add critique for this to be a proper review. I think that you could have used more description to describe what pain and feelings you feel. It is only a request (just an idea) however I think that you are indeed extremely talented in the poetry side of writing.

Carry on, I would love to see your improvement and progress :)
Good luck & stay safe,

Love Rubes x

Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:02 am
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Hey there, hope you're having a wonderful day :)

Oh god this is so accurate, I never played hockey, but in soccer you'd literally get kicked in the face by a ball and the coaches would just be like "don't be such a wuss, it's just a scratch that's all" which is so infuriating.
But injuries aren't only physical, and I was kinda expecting you'd explore that side of it, since injuries can also be in our mind. Like the struggles of living everyday, or even the mental scars you get in sport. The pressure, the competition, the failures, the fear- all those things are just as important as physical scars.

I also loved the very short sentences and the bold words was a nice touch, it's almost as if they make up for an entirely new stanza. The last part of that "stanza" is too true.. "players need to heal", so true.

***stiggy <33

Thank you for the review!
Oh, yeah. I used to play soccer and got hit in the head with a ball, but it was during a game and the refs were like "nah she headed it and you can't do that in third grade" and gave the other team a free hit. My sister got a concussion from it once, so at least the coaches actually let HER rest.
Yeah, I didn't really think about those kind of injuries. That would've been a good idea.
Yes, that's exactly what I was going for, the bolded stanza thing.

nightshadows wrote a review...

Hi! This is nightshadows bring a new comment live to a theater near you! Ok, so enough of my weirdness here are my thoughts:

Holy firkin cheese puffs yes. Ok so I used to play professional club soccer, and of course the players got thrown into the same hopeless situation. Like when somebody totally kicks you in the nose and it is bleeding everywhere, that classic line from the coach.
"Shake it off, don't be a wimp"

And it is true especially when you say,

Know that we need

To recover and to

Take time to heal.

I feel like this stanza could be about physical injuries, and also mental ones. Like the struggles during life you need time to recover and heal from the tragedies of the past. Haha and also I saw the title, injuries, and I was intrigued because at the moment I have a sprained left wrist which is probably making my typing a whole lot slower but overall the situation isn't too bad lol. Great poem!! Totally reminds me of my childhood :D

AND YES, EXACTLY. The coaches are just like WALK IT OFF, even though one girl actually couldn't walk.
Huh, I actually didn't think about mental injuries, but that could be true, too.
I hope your wrist feels better soon!

nightshadows says...

Great job and thank you so much!! AND YES!! One time I buckled my ankle...had to get carried off the field

HOLY CRAP

nightshadows says...

hahaha

FourLeafClover says...

I thought I separated the stanzas, but now they're just all clumped together. Weird.

Spearmint says...

Ah yes, YWS is a bit wonky about formatting lol. (It likes eating spaces :P) But anyways, here's a link to a video about that! Basically you can use shift enter to get smaller spaces, or add some characters (like -, ~, or .) to space stuff out! Hope that helps, and a belated welcome to YWS!! (It really is a wonderful place, despite its tendency to gobble up spaces XD) ^-^

Thanks for the help!

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind