Trinity

by FlyingDream

PG 13 for minor swearing.

Chapter 3: Salem

The night was cold so I pulled my cloak around me even tighter. I sprinted across the dirt road to the farmhouse with my head bent down low. I stopped short and knelt down to study some tracks, about three hours old in the dirt. I gritted my teeth and stood up. Wynn. I reached the door of the farmhouse and knocked softly, not wanting to draw unwanted attention to myself. The door opened a crack and bright brown eyes peered out at me.

“Salem?” I nodded. The door opened up to reveal a teenage girl with long, dark red hair. Her shirt had stains in it and her jeans were wrinkled.

“God, you scared the heck out of me! Who do you think you are dressing like a freaking assassin?” she cried. I smiled and swept past her into the farmhouse.

“Glad to see you too, Jaye.” I said. Jaye closed the door and locked it…Twice. I raised an eyebrow.

“What’s with the extra locks?” I asked.

“I can’t be too careful.” Jaye said. I rolled my eyes.

“Now you sound like Wynn,” Jaye laughed at this.

“I think we could do with some extra Wynns around here, don’t you?” she asked playfully.

“When hell freezes over.” I stated. Jaye tried to smack me across the head, but I caught her wrist.

“Work on your speed, Jaye,” I said, while grinning. Jaye frowned at me and yanked her wrist from my grip. She leaned up against a wall and looked at me curiously. My medium length black hair hung over my left eye, and my black eyes stared searchingly at Jaye. Most people would be uncomfortable at this, but Jaye stood still; she wasn’t intimidated easily.

“So, where’ve you been?” she asked casually, but I could tell she was curious all the same.

“Hiding.” I said. Jaye sighed.

“Do you enjoy being the man of mystery here?” she said impatiently.

“Yep,” I dodged another punch from Jaye. My cloak swept aside and for a heart beat of a moment my gun showed and Jaye tensed up. I frowned at her and covered the gun quickly. Jaye’s eyes were wide and tear filled; my temper started to flare up.

“Get a grip,” I snapped,” We’ve been through this before. It’s not my fault that I’m the only person in the resistance to have the guts to carry a gun, let alone use one.” Jaye gave herself a shake.

“Sorry,” she said softly, “I’m just so touchy around those things.”

“I would’ve thought that after years of being around me, you would’ve gotten used to it.” I replied. Jaye sniffed and looked at me again.

“Well?” she asked.

“Well what?”

“Why did you come here?” Jaye’s eyes bored into mine; I forced myself to stare straight ahead.

“To apologize,” these words stung my throat like poison, but I had to say them.

“Huh, so you think that a few years could patch up what you did?” she asked. I nodded, afraid of what was coming. Jaye took a deep breath and looked at me.

“Well, you were wrong. Time can’t heal a lot of things, Salem, and this is one of them.” Jaye stood up and walked to the door.

“So, that’s it, then? You’re just going to push me out into the dark?” I tried to keep my voice quiet, but it still rang out loud and clear.

“Yeah, I guess so. But I don’t think that’ll be a problem for you. You’ll blend right in just fine.” Jaye said angrily. I advanced towards her and she backed away from me.

“Listen,” I whispered, “That was years ago. This is now. I could care less about what happened back then. What I care about now is that you and the rest of the resistance get out of the Empire now. I got a tip that the Overlord’s captured one of our people. He knows who we are now. He knows our strengths and our weaknesses. Jaye, listen to me, we have to leave.”

“When Wynn came around he said everything was fine, all he said was that we needed a new headquarters, that’s it.” Jaye protested. I shook my head.

“Wynn’s really something, huh? He’s a prince, he’s got purple hair, and yep, he sure can tell one hell of a lie.” This set Jaye off.

“The only person who lies around here is you!” she shouted. I laughed maniacally.

“Oh really?” I asked.

“Really!” she shot back. I leaned up against a wall and looked at her.

“You know,” I said calmly, “I don’t know what I ever saw in you. You’re in denial. Did you know that?”

“Get out!” Jaye screamed.

“Whatever.” I said. I dropped my gun on the floor and Jaye recoiled.

“Keep it,” I stated, “You’ll need it when the Overlord comes knocking on your door. Now, will you please unlock the door?” Jaye brushed past me and unlocked the door with shaking hands. I swept past her and gave her one last look. I nodded my head in farewell and stepped into the cold night.

~*~

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:35 am
FlyingDream says...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the details thing. I always go too fast. Thanks for your opinion though! And welcome to the site! (If you're new here. Are you new here? If not *blushes* sorry)

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:20 am
cat4prowl wrote a review...

umm... one thing to say. keep writing! (while i hunt down the first 2 chapters) i like it; very suspenseful, good details, nice dialogue. Fantastic! the only thing i can say is that some of the... words that come after dialogue (whatever those are called) were a little confusing at times. also, if you added more detail, it would make it seem like Salem was reentering memories or something. of course, in my own stories i am a detail freak so you can write it however you want. i loved it, let me read more!

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince