Nobody Knew (REVISED)

by Flemzo

NOTE: I wrote this story a few months ago in response to learning about a friend who was bulimic. She's since started eating and keeping it down, in part because of this story. I just reread it before posting, and I know it needs to be reworked, but I'm not exactly sure where. Critiques are helpful!

Revised 4-12-2007

"It shouldn't be taking him this long," Ted thought to himself. "Usually he's in and out."

Ted had been waiting for John to come back from the school restroom for 20 minutes. The basketball game had been over for a while, and there was still no sign of John. Fed up with his absence, Ted ventured over to the restroom. He opened the door and was immediately greeted with the horrible stench of vomit. Ted remembered a kid in the first period of the game run to the restroom, but even if he threw up, the smell would not linger this long.

Ted walked into the restroom and saw no one in the urnials. Ted then got on his hands and knees, looking under the stall walls for John's feet. He recognized John's shoes, but looking at them, Ted knew something was wrong. He ran over to the stall that John was in. Ted kicked open the door and flipped John over. John's eyes were closed, and his shirt was stained with blood and vomit.

Ted shook John, and John's eyes fluttered. He looked Ted in the eys and started stammering, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

Ted yelled at John, "What are you sorry about? Why are you sorry? Sorry for what?!"

John stammered incoherently, then said, "I thought I could quit."

"Quit what?" asked Ted, anticipating the answer.

"I felt fat," said John, "so I started making myself throw up. When I got to the weight I wanted to be at, I--" John gagged -- "I thought I could quit. But then I couldn't keep anything down." John's lips trembled, and a single tear crawled down his face. "I'm scared," he continued hoarsely. "It hurts to swallow, man. Something's wrong with my throat, and it hurts to swallow my own spit."

John coughed, turned to the toilet, and threw up blood. He turned back to Ted and said, "I can't handle this, man. I feel like... I feel..." John's eyes rolled to the back of his head, and he passed out.

Ted was on the verge of tears as he yelled at his friend. "John! John wake up!" he shouted. "Do not die on me, John! We can get you help!"

Ted violently shook John to wake him up. Weakly, John opened his eyes. The two stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. John reached his frail hand to Ted's shoulder. John mouthed some words, but Ted couldn't make out what he was trying to say. "What? I can't hear you, John," said Ted. "Speak up."

John's eyes started to gloss over. With tears running down his pale face, John let out a barely audible whisper. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm so, so sorry." John's hand slowly slid from Ted's shoulder and landed on the floor.

Ted stared at what was once his best friend. There would be no more late nights watching movies and drinking Mountain Dew. There would be no more comics drawn in class. There would be no more inside jokes. All Ted could do was stand up and walk out of the restroom, numb to everything around him.

Before he left, Ted stopped in the doorway, looked back at the body that once was John. John's eyes were half open, his body limp, his shirt covered with stains of vomit and blood. Ted sighed, turned off the lights in the restroom, and walked out of the school. He climbed into his car and pulled out of the parking lot, wondering how his parents would take it when he told them.

If his parent's were like him, they didn't know.

If the town was like him, nobody knew.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:27 am
izziecries wrote a review...

I liked it, although the end bit, where Ted says he doesn't know how to tell his parents? I didn't find that fit much with the whole numb feeling he's supposed to be experiencing, but yeah I dunno I guess that's me. Well, good work anyhow it's a tough subject but makes for good reading.

Meep says...

Oh, haha, that was me forgetting to delete the rest of a sentence that I'd rewritten. I'm so sorry, I feel like such an idiot! :oops:

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:06 am
Flemzo says...

Meep wrote:when John dies, I can't picture his buddy just leaving him there. I think he'd probably panic, call for help, shake John like crazy, cry, something. Ted doesn't seem to have a whole lot of emotional response to the death of a close friend, and while I can understand blocking it out, that usually comes after the panic stage.

It's a symbol. Ted just leaving John there represents people turning their backs on the problem instead of doing something to help out. Clever, eh?

Meep wrote:Oh, and no

... no what?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:02 am
Meep wrote a review...

What's really interesting is that the people here are boys. It's an underrepresented problem, although it's gaining more and more attention. I was a little suprised; I admit that I was expecting the story to be about a girl, because that's usually the image of someone with an eating disorder. Kudos.

One thing I noticed was the single tear. It may be a personal preference, but I just can't stand it, regardless of the context. It drives me batty.

Also, when John dies, I can't picture his buddy just leaving him there. I think he'd probably panic, call for help, shake John like crazy, cry, something. Ted doesn't seem to have a whole lot of emotional response to the death of a close friend, and while I can understand blocking it out, that usually comes after the panic stage.

Oh, and no

Flemzo says...

Meshugenah wrote:Near the end, you used "Do not." Do not use "do not" in dialogue unless you have a really formal character! But, as Ted doesn't strike me as formal, and he's rather panicky, use contractions. Please. Plus, they help build a frantic tone, and that would help, and again, it's what you're going for, here, I think.

The "do not" was used in a frantic way... or it was supposed to be. I emphasized "not", like I thought people would catch onto (but it wasn't obvious enough, I guess).

Meshugenah wrote:
"I felt fat," said John, "so I started making myself throw up. When I got to the weight I wanted to be at, I thought I could quit. But then I couldn't keep anything down. I'd drink milk in the morning, and throw it up minutes later. It hurts to swallow, man. Something's wrong with my throat, and it hurts to swallow my own spit."

Just how likely is it that someone who's throat is sore and who can barely swallow and who keeps throwing up blood could give that huge speech? Not very! So! Break it up.

How's the new version? I wanted to add dashed lines to interrupt the dialouge, but I'm not sure where they go. I can always change it later if it's wrong.

Meshugenah wrote a review...

Ok! Let's get cracking, shall we?

First off, though subject to handle, period. I don't care what anyone says about this. Kudos to you for writing it in the first place. Now, you do have a few places that need to be tweaked, mostly for emotional impact. One of the first things I noticed was your apparent aversion to pronouns. They are your friend. It's not a huge problem, but it's highly distracting, and is awkward when read. Read it aloud to yourself, and if you find yourself wanting to use "he" instead of a name, change it! Just make sure you don't confuse the reader as to who's doing what (I'm horribly guilty of this, and I love Crysi and Paroxysm Effect for helping me with that), so just ask a friend, here or at school to help with that if needed. Some people have a talent for it, and I'm jealous.

He opened the door and was immediately greeted with the horrible stench of vomit and stomach acid. Ted remembered a kid in the first period of the game run to the restroom, but even if he threw up, the smell would not linger this long.

Here, you start out fine, but the second sentence throws the reader off -- not by a huge amount, but enough to be ineffective. Try playing with that, and introduce the idea a bit slower. Also, isn't vomit made up of digested food and stomach acid? 'Cause that was not only wordy but I'm pretty sure redundant. I think you have a reference of the same sort somewhere else, but I'll find that when I get there! Maybe.. "Ted remembered that a kid had run to the restroom in the first period of the game, looking more than a little green. But even if he had thrown up, the small shouldn't have lingered this long." Well, something else to play with, at least, right?

vomit, stomach acid, and blood.

(forgive the poet in me) "Covered in vomit stained blood," or "blood-stained vomit." Feel free to ignore me when I get into my "oh em gee, this could be POETIC! mode. It happens a little too often, sometimes).

Here be an article I linked for some reason a second ago, and now I can't remember why...oh yeah!
He looked Ted in the eyes and started stammering, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

This was annoying me. The dialogue tags felt forced, which leads to awkward sounding dialogue which means it isn't' believable, which means your story loses that extra punch you want. Use "small" verbs, not flashing ones like "stammered." Show stammering in the dialogue. Little things like that.

Um.. oh dear. Pet peeve of mine in dialogue! Near the end, you used "Do not." Do not use "do not" in dialogue unless you have a really formal character! But, as Ted doesn't strike me as formal, and he's rather panicky, use contractions. Please. Plus, they help build a frantic tone, and that would help, and again, it's what you're going for, here, I think.

Just how likely is it that someone who's throat is sore and who can barely swallow and who keeps throwing up blood could give that huge speech? Not very! So! Break it up. Start the same. Once he says that he couldn't stop, STOP! Make him throw up again. Have him forcing the words out "I -" he turned and dry-heaved again "- I couldn't stop." He sat down against the toilet, and took a shaky breath. "It hurts to swallow." He laughed hollowly, but it ended in cough.
"Not even my spit, let alone food. Not even Milk!"

See what I mean? Much more effective. Little actions help the most. They show what dialogue and exposition can't -- human emotion through body language.

Ok, I think I've done enough! Good luck with this! For such a heavy topic, you've done a great job thus far. Keep on pluggin' and it'll be even better. You've done the hard part -- you've helped your friend (though I know it'll be an uphill battle from here, but you've started it). Now help the readers understand exactly what you went through that day.

miyaviloves wrote a review...

:O

...wow..... :O! lol

very good peice of work you have here, very sad :( definalty a topic that i think more people need to writeabout, maybe need to write about, I have a friend who went through this and she is now writing about what happened to her, obviously she didn't die but its such a scary thing, and i think you were brave to write about it in such a good and clever way, well done!

Wow (again)

Meevs
x

Alainna wrote a review...

Wow....that is one way of shocking someone out of becoming bulimic!

It was really good but there needed to be more...tension and Ted didn't really call for help or anything...

I liked this:

All Ted could do was stand up and walk out of the restroom, numb to everything around him.

Good work,
Alainna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 am
Loose says...

=O thats fantastic.

well, no it isnt, its terrible that he died and how, but its so well written, i nearly cried.

is there anymore to it? thats what I want to know. The ending was so realistic, Im lost for words.

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan