Conquest of Shadows - Flames with In - Chapter 1

by FlamingPhoenix

Eighteen Years later

Cool milky blades of moonlight slice through the night sky as a soft but cold breeze blew over the city, seeming to carry the soft glow throughout the streets, illuminating the buildings in an eerie white radiance.

Hunched over in the cold shadows of a chimney an elf looked up towards the palace in the distance, the warm glow from the torches lit within lighting up the building in a soft orange. The palace was one of those things that were hard to miss, built on the highest point in the city it loomed over all surrounding it.

His azure eyes scanned the ground below as he crouched low on the rooftop, his black clothing allowing him to merge with the shadows.

Now and then he would find himself looking up to the palace and wonder what it would be like to live there. What it was like to never have to worry about where your next meal was coming from, or if you would have somewhere safe to sleep that night?

Apparently, a lot of things changed twelve years ago after the rebellion. He had been too young to take place in it though, so he knew little of the details.

Moving slowly towards the edge of the roof he looked down towards the streets below, watching as the guards passed, patrolling the city like they did every night. They would always start from the palace then move down towards the edge of the city, remaining by the forest that surrounded the kingdom on the lookout for intruders for a while.

He had spent most of his time watching the guards so he knew every four hours a new round of patrols would take the next shift. Though it didn’t leave a large window to sneak in or out of the city between dusk and dawn. Especially since there were two groups, one going towards the north side of the kingdom and the other to the south.

Sitting back against the chimney he heaved a long sigh closing his eyes for just a moment allowing himself to drift into a world he wished existed. No fear, empty stomachs or pain. A king worthy of respect, and families to come home too.

“If only it were real…” He mumbled, his ears flattening against the side of his head as he looked up at the pale moon above, its silver rays only hiding the darkness that hung over the people that lived in the city.

Ears perking the elf quickly got to his feet pressing his back against the bricks of the chimney as he listened, the sounds of light but noticeable footsteps could be heard. From what he could tell it didn’t sound like they were in a hurry but they weren’t moving slowly.

Angling his head slightly to the right, he tried to navigate what direction the sound was coming from, though it wasn’t easy to detect with the wind making his cloak flutter.

Not wanting to risk being seen he quickly checked himself over, equipment and mask still in place he jumped down a tight gap between two houses, his black clothing proving well to hide him in the inky black.

Crouched low to the ground ears still raised to listen, he found himself automatically reaching for the hilt of his sword, his hand hovering over the handle ready to attack if need be.

A loud thud from above could be heard as the other elf landed on the rooftop, coming to a halt. Shuffling above could be heard as the other elf approached the gap between the houses.

Still crouching low, melting away into the shadows the young elf looked up towards the roof, hoping to catch a glimpse of who was there, but the figure didn’t come close enough, only a small portion of his form could be seen.

‘Maybe I have enough time to get to another building before the guards do another round? It would be risky.’ He thought suppressing the need to sigh. ‘Maybe I should stay put. Even if I do manage to get into another ally there is a high chance of being spotted by whoever is above me, or the guards. Personally, I’d have a better chance with the guards than one of the King’s-’

“Ahh, here you are, I thought-” The voice was quickly cut off when a sharp blade was swiftly thrown towards their head the silver mettle reflecting the light of the moon only for a second before hitting the wall behind the man, embedding itself into the brick.

The look of fear that came across the elf's face was quickly washed away when he looked back at the other elf that stood in the shadows. “Nice.” Dusting himself off, he continued. “That’s just the way one would like to be greeted.”

“Ethan, should have known it was you.” The younger elf grumbled seeming to relax, his stance not as stiff.

Ethan sent the young elf a grin before turning to remove the blade from the wall, “Well I didn’t expect you to try and murder me, Richard.”

Rolling his eyes, Richard took his sword back, placing it back in its sheath, “Forgive me, for assuming you were someone else.” Turning his back to Ethan, Richard walked to the end of the ally peeking around the wall to check the streets.

“Richard…what are you doing out here anyway?” Ethan asked, pulling the hood to his black cloak over his head, hiding his dark brown hair. “You know you’re not allowed.”

Turning to face Ethan, Richard arched an eyebrow in slight amusement, the mask covering the lower half of his face hiding the smirk underneath. “And yet it seems you were looking for me?”

Smacking his forehead Ethan sighed pinching the bridge of his nose, “Because I knew you would be out here. When have you ever followed the rules?” He asked his silver eyes holding small hints of concern.

“Exactly!” Richard said nonchalantly over his shoulder, his back pressed against the wall as he looked into the streets for the next patrol. “And still you act surprised every time.”

Before Ethan could retort he watched as Richard pulled the hood of his cloak further over his head, his azure eyes now the only thing visible as he dashed out into the opening, leaving Ethan to grumble under his breath.

When he was about halfway towards the next ally a few houses down, Richard suddenly stopped, his ears perked as he looked to his right, looking closely enough he could see two shadows dance along the houses as they approached not too far off.

Cursing to himself for miss judging the time between the shift change, Richard ran for the closest house. Jumping up he grabbed the edge of the rain pipe pulling himself up onto the roof. Remaining flat on the wood, Richard rolled towards the chimney, submerging himself into the darkness.

Just as he managed to get himself out of view, Richard could hear the heavy footsteps of armored guards approach.

‘That was too close.’ Richard thought looking around the chimney, watching the two men walk away, not seeming to notice his presence.

Once he was sure they were gone, Richard got to his feet looking in the direction the two patrols men had gone, then his gaze moved to the ally he was in just a little while ago.

‘I wonder where Ethan ran off too?’ Richard scanned the streets for a sign of the other elf but couldn’t see anything. ‘I guess he managed to get into another hiding spot before the guards saw him.’ He thought, grateful that he had managed to get away before getting spotted.

A loud thud could be heard from the other end of the roof, this causing Richard to quickly turn, his hand at the hilt of his sword. Though his hand soon returned to his side when his eyes landed on Ethan’s disapproving gaze.

The other elf shook his head as he crossed his arms, “That was a little close don’t ya think?” He lifted an eyebrow as he watched Richard.

“I would have been fine if you hadn’t distracted me,” Richard argued back, sending a glare in Ethan’s direction.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Ethan asked as Richard moved towards the next house over readying himself to jump across.

“Doesn’t matter.” Richard shot over his shoulder before jumping to the next roof, thus continuing.

As he ran along the rooftops Richard took note of the houses around him changing the closer he got to the border, this no longer surprised him though, the lower you were in the kingdom the worse your living conditions, there wasn’t anything you could do about it. Well, the only thing you could do was join the King’s army, but not many willingly took that option.

Coming to a stop on one of the last houses lining the border, Richard watched as the guards walked towards their outpost, there they would remain for the next four hours. He was hoping he would have made it before they swapped out, but that was before Ethan had shown up.

The ruffle of clothing and someone landing on the roof next to him made Richard remove his gaze from the guards to look at Ethan. “You know you’re never going to change my mind,” Richard told him watching his face for any change in expression.

“I know...” Ethan replied, keeping his voice low, not wanting to attract any unwanted attention. “But vengeance isn’t the way to go.”

“But how can I stand by and let him do what he pleases?” Richard asked, clenching his jaw in rage, his sapphire eyes ablaze with ignited hatred.

Shaking his head Ethan looked towards Richard. “That’s something you’re going to have to do on your own, I can’t tell you how to put your anger in the past...Just know this, the more hate you have the more you will hurt those around you.” Standing, Ethan walked towards the other roof. Before jumping across he paused for a moment to look back at Richard, their eyes meeting for a moment. “Just, think about it, okay?”

Looking down at the wood Richard slowly nodded, he knew Ethan was right, but it was a lot easier said than done, letting go of once hate isn’t something you could do overnight. With a nod Ethan made his leave, his cloak fluttering in the wind as he ran, his form soon melting into the night.

Sitting back against the chimney, Richard looked up towards the midnight blue sky, the pale moon slowly rising further into the atmosphere. Letting loose a long sigh Richard closed his eyes for a moment, enjoying the soft tickle of the wind on his cheek.

‘It’s going to be a long time until dawn, might as well try and get some rest.’ Richard thought glancing over at the guards for a moment. There wasn’t any way for him to get past them and into the forest anyway, it was just too risky. Besides, there wasn’t anything for him to return to as it was, so what was the point?

‘One day I’ll make him pay.’ Richard thought turning his gaze onto the forest in front of him, the trees dark shapes melting into one another like black ink on a scroll. ‘Just, not yet.’

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:07 pm

First Impression: Okayy...so here we are. Sorry its taken me awhile to get around to this, but I'm finally here. Soo...this has definitely changed quite a bit. Honestly it feels like a totally different story and I think maybe that's what you going for so its definitely working. Its a very different style of start here so I can't really compare and say whether this is better than the previous version, but on its own, its a good start here.

Okayy...well I've gotten used to seeing hundred of these by now. There's always going to be a relaxed start to these stories with the setting establishing itself really well in the first couple of paragraphs...and well, you already know I love seeing these at the start. I'm very excited how this has first chapter has evolved. This is the third version that I'm seeing so it'll be very interesting. :D

Okay, I like that we're getting little hints of the backstory already right from the start. That all important balance of making comments that are interesting enough to catch your attention as a reader without being too vague or not vague enough is definitely present here and that's great to see.

OKayy....well...so far we're learning quite a bit about the world and this person and what they do on a daily basis. Its all really helping establish this setting rather nicely here...although its now stretching on just a tiny bit as we've got a few things getting slightly repetitive. Hopefully things quick off in the near future...I'm pretty sure someone is going to come running along here very soon.

Okayy...love this light buildup of tension here for this person approaching and also that earlier mention of the sword so that it doesn't catch us by surprise when its inevitably going to end up being used here.

Okayy....well here we have our first change from the previous first chapters that I've read here...so well, let's see where this is now going to be taking us. The only obvious that I've spotted so far is the elf thing, which I did know was coming, soo...hmm, let's see if we have anything else that's changed somehow.

Well that's a fun little exchange there. Already that let's us know rather well that these two are definitely friends with the way that they interact and its a nice little touch. Ethan certainly seems like he'll be important to the story...maybe...I don't think we've seen him before though.

OOoh, I love that close brush with the guards that we get there. It gives us a touch of the level of fear that they can inspire and just the kind of guards that this King has patrolling around the area. Some really nice bits of worldbuilding are shining through in this first chapter. :D

Okayy....that's an interesting choice there. I dunno why you'd build up that little bit of extra suspense with Ethan vanishing to a different spot but then it ends up amounting to nothing. Its a fun extra detail to show that Ethan hid in a different but then considering how quickly it got resolved, Richard's thoughts about Ethan vanishing seem unnecessary.

Ooooh...well here we go...perhaps we're going to still get an action scene in this one after all. I happened to very much like the action scene that was here previously so I'm missing it a little...but well, I think this makes up for it well enough so far, but if an action scene does manage to come in during these last few lines, I'm definitely not going to complain. :D

Okayyy...well establish a bit of his motive there rather early too. Its a good choice once again for a first chapter to have that. It sounds a teensy bit forced, but I think it flows well enough that you can let this one slide.

Hmm....some good advice being tossed around there and well it looks like that little bit of potential tension for an action scene isn't going to really lead to anything here, the tension is now slowly leaving the scene here.

Okayy...a bit of promise on that last statement, so well its not quite the sort of power you tend to get with a cliffhanger, but it is a pretty good line to end on here, so well yeah this has gone along quite well here. :D

Overall: Overall, I think you've done a pretty good with this one. There's so many little elements being slowly introduced and there is a pretty good hook happening here right away so, yeah this is a good first chapter. I look forward to seeing more chapters soon!! :D

Thank you for the review Harry!

XD I'm so sorry you have to read this for the third time. But hopefully it will be worth it, I am trying a different approach to this version. That hopefully will make it better. :D

Ethan is a new character I came up with for this draft, I thought it would be a good idea, and you'll see why later. :D

I'm sorry this chapter wasn't the best, the last month I had a lot of trouble writing for some reason, so chapter 2 should be better hopefully.

Again, thank you for the review!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:49 pm
Col3 says...

Wow, this was amazing! I'm new on this website and this was the first thing I read! Can't wait to see what else you have:)

Thank you, I'm glad you like it, and Welcome to YWS.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Hi FlamingPhoenix,

That was an extremely interesting chapter. It had a light, gentle tone at the beginning and developed into a particular flurry of activity in the second half, after the reader has settled into this world. It turned out very well and I like it.

You did a wonderful job of building an atmosphere with the first descriptions and managed to pull the reader right into the world. You manage very well to present the world in a special light. Above all, I like the way you went about it - first you describe something, then you show that it comes from the perspective of an elf and then you continue. That helped well to get into the world, as if you were coming from above and then realising that you are not alone.

What I particularly liked was also the tone, which is so calm and relaxed. Despite a certain tension there, you manage to keep the reader glued to the lines. I would just watch out sometimes that you don't repeat yourself too much with some descriptions. Sometimes it seems repetitive and I would either try to mention something completely new or change it in a metaphorical and partly philosophical sense.

The second half started with a good surprise and I like how that felt like a bit of a climax in this chapter before we get to know some of the characters. It's been a good transition to introduce the setting and give the reader some questions already about what's happened or what life the elf is living when he imagines how the king must be doing, and I think you manage to portray that well in the dialogue later on. A bit of the non-existent caution and fear but also a bit of a gimmick. I felt very much where the chapter developed from there as well.

Another point I also liked was the build up of the thoughts we received. It makes me feel like I got another deeper insight there. What I also liked there was that you realised that the elf has a good heart, and doesn't just imagine some things because he wants to, but because he's not doing so well in some ways.

Here, too, in the second half, I would just be careful now and then that you don't make the sentences too long, or insert "unnecessary" interjections to lengthen the description. I think they should be in a separate sentence rather than just between two other sentences, because it makes some sentences a bit long.

Otherwise, I liked the chapter a lot. It doesn't build on what's in the prologue yet, but I like how you can then create links over the coming chapters and when you come back you realise, "Oh, that was it!", which gives you a bit more of an understanding of where the meaning of some of the descriptions lie.

Unfortunately, I have already reached the end of the review and the baked apple is still in front of me. :D

Other points I noticed while reading:

Apart from that very nice intro sentence, the only thing I noticed was that you repeated yourself on "soft" and then with a synonym you quickly changed that. :D

Apparently, a lot of things changed twelve years ago after the rebellion.

I haven't finished reading the chapter yet, but am asking here if it is right that it is twelve and not eighteen years?

Ears perking the elf quickly got to his feet pressing his back against the bricks of the chimney as he listened, the sounds of light but noticeable footsteps could be heard.

I would change the sentence here into two. After the comma you can clearly see the start of a new sentence.

his black clothing proving well to hide him in the inky black.

You have already described once before that the clothes are good to hide in the shade, and would either paraphrase it here or just add a "again" so that it doesn't seem "ignorantly" repetitive.

Thank you so much for the review! It was very helpful like always. :D

I know this chapter isn't perfect, as you know I was having a lot of trouble with it, so I do plan to go back and fix it when I'm feeling a little better. :D

I understand how this could be confusing, and it's something I will clear up the further we go into the story, but after the war there was a six year gap between the war and the rebellion, so it would be twelve years down the line since the rebellion. :D

I'll try and get the next chapter out soon. Again I'm glad you enjoyed! I'm trying a different approach with this draft.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm
MaybeAndrew wrote a review...

Andrew here for a review! Caught this just as it entered the green room! Happy to see it here.
Overall, this chapter was good, it introduced what looks like our main character, and a conflict. Many first chapters just seem like filler, but it looks like we have some good action from the get-go, but I am nervous about the swordsmen elf main character. I love awesome main characters as much as the next fantasy fan, but in my limited experience, I find stories whose main characters start inhuman and awesome are hard to relate to and not as satisfying when as the story progresses our main character grows in strength. This is obviously my opinion, since there are many successful fantasy books built on super awesome inhuman characters, and I have not seen enough of the story to fully judge how unreliable our main character is, so I can't fully comment on this. But I would just say, be careful, most people don't read books to watch awesome people do awesome things, they come for a relatable character overcoming struggle and growing. But this main character definitely seems flawed, but morale. I'll be interested to see how you fully sell them as the main character, and I am more than prepared to love them.
My other biggest critique overall is that many of the sentences run on, and make the story hard to follow, I can't point out every instance, but I'll bring up a few.
But into specifics!

From what he had heard a lot of things changed after the rebellion twelve years ago, he for one couldn’t tell being he was so young when it happened.

Clunky, this is an example of one of the long weirdly built sentences, maybe, something like, "Apparently, a lot of things changed twelve years ago. He had been too young to take place in the rebellion though, so he knew little of the details." Might be better, you can split the sentences, and give the details there own time and place.
They would always start from the palace then move down towards the edge of the city, remaining by the forest that surrounded the kingdom on the lookout for intruders for a while.

Heres another example. The for a while especially makes this feel like a mouthfall, and I have to actively concentrate to follow everything. That might be because I'm an idiot, but if you do want to make you story idiot-proof, you could possibly split it a bit: "Starting from the palace, the guards would move towards the edge of the city. From there, they'd portal the edge of the forest on the lookout, before the portal shifted."
Obviously, I'm not the author, so I may have communicated that information incorrectly because I don't know what's happening. If I did, I apologize, but that would be another reason to edit because a reader shouldn't have to concentrate to figure out what's going on.
No fear or empty stomachs, homes, and families to come home too…a king worthy of respect, no one would have to live in fear.

This list seems strangely organized, it says fear twice, and for a switches what it's saying. You can have a list like "No death, fear, pain, or loss." because that implies a no in front of each word, "No death, (no) fear, (no) Pian, or (no) loss, and you did this, and then switched, so it makes it seem you don't want families or homes. This is what you did. " No fear or (no) empty stomachs, (no) homes, and (no) families to come home too…a king worthy of respect, no one would have to live in fear.
You either need to split it into two sentences or make it consistent. Like, "With homes, families to come home too and king worthy of respect. A world with no fear or empty stomachs"

I'd advise splitting into two sentences.
Not wanting to chance his arm at being seen he quickly checked himself over, equipment and mask still in place he jumped down a tight gap between two houses, his black clothing proving well to hide him in the inky black.

Black clothing and inky black? How about black clothing and inky darkness? Also, this may be my idiocy, but the phrase that's emboldened seems weird to me. This sentence will also be my last example of run-on sentences. You can find the rest and split them up and edit them if you like.
But that's all just my two cents! Hope it helps!

But like I said, overall, well written, and like, I actually want to read this, if there was a next chapter, I'd read it, just for my own enjoyment, which is halfway to actual success. I am curious to see why Richard wants revenge, interested in this whole rebellion debacle, and looking forward to seeing how our prologue factors into this. (does this evil king have the magic stone I wonder?)
If you just edit those structure issues, I'd enjoy it even more.
Thanks, and keep writing!
Andrew

Thank you so much for the review, and for being honest.
I do understand that Richard comes across as a perfect character right now, but I'm hoping that the further we go into the story the more we will see he has other issues. I tried really hard to make him imperfect, because I want him to grow. :D

I was having so much trouble with this chapter. I just couldn't seem to get it right. So thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad you would like to read the next chapter! I'll hopefully get it done faster than this one. :D

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince