z

Young Writers Society


Violence

A Fight for Survival ~ Darkness Approaches Chapter 3

by FlamingPhoenix


Viper stood in the rain, the small droplets drumming against him as he watched the dark figure creep through the downpour. He quickly cast a glance at Ndutu behind him, he jolted his head a little to his left to tell the dragonet to follow behind him.

Slowly Viper crept through the watery mist, putting a talon down in the pools one at a time trying as hard as he could to keep as silent as possible. As he stalked he kept his eyes on the dark figure, never letting them leave his sight.

Suddenly Viper stopped. His body going tense as he just stood there his eyes fixed on the dark shadow. Ndutu briskly stopping behind him, giving Viper a questioning look. His eyes wander to where Viper was looking and then looked back at him.

Viper turned his head towards Ndutu and lifted a talon over his mouth. “Ssshhhh, stay here.” He said before his wings fanned out around him, with a single beat, he thrust his body into the air without a sound.

Viper stayed close to the ground, the rain splashing against the sand making it harder for anything to see him coming. Slowly he beat his wings against the air making him move faster through the boring rain. His eyes narrowed when he saw the figure of the dragon up ahead.

‘It’s an Onyx Wyvern!’ Viper thought his eyes turning into thin black slits. ‘What are they doing on our land?’

Sucking in a large breath Viper got ready to shoot the fire that was slowly building up within his throat. The warmth filling his body. Taking his aim, Viper let the fire spew from his mouth, the red hot flames shot across the small space between the two dragons. The rain that fell around the fire disintegrated into hot steam as the fire raced towards its target.

A screech of pain could be heard through the drumming of the rain, as the Onyx wyvern fell to the ground in agony. Viper quickly swooped in towards the shaking Dragon, its eyes were scrunched close as it tried to breathe through the pain. Viper looked over to its side, he could see where his fire had hit the other dragon, as a green substance slowly burned into the dragons flesh.

Putting his barbed tail to the black dragon’s neck he asked, “Why are you here?” His voice was thick with venom.

When the other dragon didn’t answer Viper pressed the tip of his tail harder into their flesh. He could feel the poison flowing through his tail to his barb, there was only so much time before it shot into the other dragon’s body.

“I will tell you nothing!” The Onyx Wyvern spat, his eyes open, the black orbs like a dark pit.

“Very well.” Viper growled jabbing his tail deep into the black dragon, he could feel the poison rush out his tail and into the body of the other dragon. His eyes didn’t leave the other dragon as he let out roars of pain, his body convulsed and fell limb after a few seconds. “Quick but painful.” Viper spat as he turned and walked away back to Ndutu.

When he reached the dragonet he looked up at Viper “Did you get him?”

Viper just nodded his head, small raindrops falling to the floor as he did. “We will be heading back to the fort now, I want to have a word with the Chief.”

Ndutu just nodded his head in understanding. Viper spread his wings and took to the cloud filled the sky, his body like a dark shadow against the clouds. Ndutu quickly followed, the air currents helping him glide alongside Viper.

A cold silence surrounded the two dragons as they flew, not a single word spoken between them.

‘Why would an Onyx Wyvern be in our land, it’s unheard of?’ Viper thought his eyes darting from one place to the next. ‘Could they be planning something? But why would they want this land? They don’t even like hot weather!’ Viper groaned out in frustration.

“So was it an Onyx Wyvern?” Ndutu asked from behind him, his voice quiet.

Viper turned his head to face the dragonet, “I’m afraid so,” Sighing Viper looked towards the mountains coming into view. “It was only one of them, but one is enough to make me worry about what they are up to.”

Yet again they fell silent, only the rain could be heard along with the sound of wings beats as they flew through the raging storm.

Viper tucked his wings in at his sides as he dived down to the ground, the fort a few wings away. He felt the cold wind scrape against his face as he dived towards the ground. At the very last second, he fanned his wings out letting them slow his descent.

Placing his feet on the wet ground he placed his wings at his sides, he looked behind him to see Ndutu just land. “I’m going to report to the chief, you go get dry and get some rest.” Viper gave him a small smile, “You did well today.”

Bowing his head Ndutu thanked him, and rushed inside, sending wet sand flying. Slowly Viper began to walk inside when he heard wing beats behind him.

Turning he saw Vesirrion lad behind him, his scales dripping from the rainwater. Vesirrion looked up and saw Viper watching him, he smiled a greeting as he walked up to him.

“Hello, again Viper.” Vesirrion greeted when he entered the caves he shook his body, the raindrops flying around him.

“Good evening.” Viper said, he slowly began to walk down the halls again, Vesirrion following. “I’m going to go report to the chief.”

Nodding his head Vesirrion followed Viper. “I’ll join you.”

The two dragons walked down the hall in silence, not a word needed to be spoken between them to no something was wrong.

It didn’t take them long to reach the Throne Room. The firelight as they walked had dried any stray droplets that had managed to stay on the two dragons. Slowly they stepped in and a waited Venom to address them.

A figure could be seen looking over the map of Lavvania. Their eyes stern as they looked over the map. Venom let out a sigh as he looked up and saw the other two dragons standing at the entrance.

“Any news?” He asks.

Slowly Vesirrion steps forward, “I patrolled my side of the border, and all is clear for now. The rainwater is staying at bay, and there have been no intruders.”

Venom nodded his head. The two black horns on his head shone in the firelight. “Good. Viper?”

Taking a shaky breath, Viper slowly stepped forward, his body gone tense with worry. “I come baring disturbing news.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And the quest continues.

First Impression: Oooh. Conflicts among dragons. Also a great little action scene. Nice quick little chapter and it looks like the plot is getting underway. This seems to be our main hook here for the readers.

Suddenly Viper stopped. His body going tense as he just stood there his eyes fixed on the dark shadow. Ndutu briskly stopping behind him, giving Viper a questioning look. His eyes wander to where Viper was looking and then looked back at him.

Viper turned his head towards Ndutu and lifted a talon over his mouth. “Ssshhhh, stay here.” He said before his wings fanned out around him, with a single beat, he thrust his body into the air without a sound.


I love the way that Viper despite all his worries about teaching immediately takes charge and lets his training kick in when the situation becomes appropriate for that.

Sucking in a large breath Viper got ready to shoot the fire that was slowly building up within his throat. The warmth filling his body. Taking his aim, Viper let the fire spew from his mouth, the red hot flames shot across the small space between the two dragons. The rain that fell around the fire disintegrated into hot steam as the fire raced towards its target.

A screech of pain could be heard through the drumming of the rain, as the Onyx wyvern fell to the ground in agony. Viper quickly swooped in towards the shaking Dragon, its eyes were scrunched close as it tried to breathe through the pain. Viper looked over to its side, he could see where his fire had hit the other dragon, as a green substance slowly burned into the dragons flesh.

Putting his barbed tail to the black dragon’s neck he asked, “Why are you here?” His voice was thick with venom.

When the other dragon didn’t answer Viper pressed the tip of his tail harder into their flesh. He could feel the poison flowing through his tail to his barb, there was only so much time before it shot into the other dragon’s body.

“I will tell you nothing!” The Onyx Wyvern spat, his eyes open, the black orbs like a dark pit.

“Very well.” Viper growled jabbing his tail deep into the black dragon, he could feel the poison rush out his tail and into the body of the other dragon. His eyes didn’t leave the other dragon as he let out roars of pain, his body convulsed and fell limb after a few seconds. “Quick but painful.” Viper spat as he turned and walked away back to Ndutu.


This whole fight scene is really well written. I like the pacing. The beats of the sentences. It all works out really well. So great job there.

‘Why would an Onyx Wyvern be in our land, it’s unheard of?’ Viper thought his eyes darting from one place to the next. ‘Could they be planning something? But why would they want this land? They don’t even like hot weather!’ Viper groaned out in frustration.


Pretty interesting. Also I'm assuming this is some kind of rainy season here which is how this one managed to slip in to the hot climate.

The two dragons walked down the hall in silence, not a word needed to be spoken between them to no something was wrong.


That should be know.

Slowly Vesirrion steps forward, “I patrolled my side of the border, and all is clear for now. The rainwater is staying at bay, and there have been no intruders.”


Wait rainwater is a problem that has to be reported on? Interesting.

Taking a shaky breath, Viper slowly stepped forward, his body gone tense with worry. “I come baring disturbing news.”


Well this isn't a cliffhanger but it's still a really good place to put the ending. Very dramatic.

And that's it for this chapter.

Overall: The plot kicks off here I think. It's a great place to hook the readers. It's done pretty well. So far Viper is the only that has gotten good development besides Venom. So might want to work on that. Besides that this is a pretty good story so far.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry






I'm glad you like the story so far!
Thanks for the review!! I can see I'm going to have to hold back on writing this story for a while, XD



KateHardy says...


Your Welcome!!!
Yeah don't let this interrupt your other one anyway.





No I can't let that happen! *Shakes head* No, no.



KateHardy says...


Good. :D





:D I guess you will be watching me then?



KateHardy says...


Well I can't do that. I'll just have to keep reminding you.



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:10 am
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



I have a feeling,
a small, aching feeling,
some friendships will bloom,
and some will go boom!
War.
War.
It's coming to the dragons.
At their core,
they're war torn.
Battle born, these dragons are.
War.
War.
Be ready, be ready,
or you will be,
doooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeedddddddddddd!

I think you know what I think is going to happen.
I know that their already is some war going on, but it isn't quite the main focus, as of yet. However, I believe this war is being quite sneaky, and will leap on us readers when we least expect it.
(Okay, that sounds kinda weird, but roll with it)
I am wondering about Ndutu's roll in the story. Perhaps there'll be a scene like this,

(Arrow flies at Viper)
(Viper turns his head)
"Oh poop" Says Viper.
"Nooooooooo!!" Says Ndutu.
(Ndutu accesses his inner super power, and makes the arrow burn away before it hits Viper)
(The power is too much for Ndutu's young body, so he must transform into a legendary Fairy Dragon)
(Everyone is awed as Ndutu spreads his mighty wings, and let's out an almighty roar, and clears the battlefield)
"Ndutu…" Says Viper, "You saved me."
(Out of the blue, Ndutu's long lost brother appears.)
"Mwahaha." He says, "I am your brother, and I am evil. Also, I am also a fairy dragon. And I will make you explode."
"Oh no!"
(They then proceed to have an epic battle, and Ndutu pins his brother down)
"Wait." Says Ndutu's brother, "Ndutu, I am your brother."
(While Ndutu is distracted, the army kidnaps Ndutu, (Somehow) And Viper is too late to save him)
(For now)

Okay, I'm sorry about that, did NOT mean for it to be that long. I hope you, at the very least, enjoyed it.
I will see you at the next chapter! Keep on writing!




Horisun says...


Sorry, this review had no substance... I kinda got sidetracked... As you can see.





Oh gosh this was quite the review! XD. Well I'm glad the feeling of war is starting to come across, and that your already thinking about how the book is going to go. So it makes me feel good. This review also gave me a really good laugh.



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 810
Reviews: 103

Donate
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:22 pm
View Likes
shieldmaiden wrote a review...



Hey! Great chapter. What's an Onx dragon? What power do they possess? These questions are probably going to be answered later so consider them merely as my pondering aloud. I'm really curious about this world and hope that it becomes Viper's mission to put an end to the war and strife between clans of dragons. His poison tipped barbed tail is pretty cool. And I think u made it very realistic that Viper didn't have any conflicting in judgment about killing the Onx. Usually a hero has that at the beginning and I felt that u were bringing a fresh twist. After all he has been training for years and by the best.
Keep writing!
-Sheildmaiden






I really wanted to bring across that when Viper is in a dangerous place he doesn't hold back, I kind of want it to be like his all kind and doubt himself, but when he has to fit he changes into a different dragon. So I'm glad that kind of came across.
Thanks for all the reviews so far!!!



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 43
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:50 pm
RandomVanGloboii wrote a review...



Hi Flaming! Time for my next review I guess =)

As a first, I expected his apprentice to be more scared, while in the scene witht the wyvern we almost forget about him (yes, he's staying behind, but still present after all). For the rest the writing style is much better than previously! Especially the punctuation, which is now perfect. Something I find unnecessary though is the final end, which sounds like a cliffhanger, but it isn't because we already know the news. Likely it is to make us want to know more about why these Onyx wyverns are such an alarm, though so it could be still valid. After all, in this chapter I felt like needing to know why it is so important.
This chapter seems to be shorter than the previous, though. Is there any particular reason?
That's all. Time to go to the next chapter.






Thanks for your review!
I ended the chapter here because it seams like the best place, other wise I wouldn't have had a better place to end it, it would have ended up really long.
But I will think about what you have said.



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 3161
Reviews: 35

Donate
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:44 pm
View Likes
IsProcrastinator wrote a review...



Hello!
This is the first time I'm reviewing your writing. I'll start by saying that I really love your descriptive writing style. It's so detailed and vivid, I could FEEL as if I was there. You did an awesome job building the tension where Viper quietly approaches the Onyx Wyvern. Damn that made me hold my breath.

In the previous chapters, Viper had doubted his abilities as Venom asked him to be the teacher. But the way he defeated the Onyx Wyvern was great. And he asks Ndutu to stay back as he attacks the Onyx, so that Ndutu can be safe, that says a lot about Viper. I can already feel myself rooting for him.

Here are a few things I noticed though: (Please don't take offense as I say this.)

Suddenly Viper stopped. His body going tense as he just stood there his eyes fixed on the dark shadow.


The second sentence here felt incomplete.

I think it should be: ‘His body went tense.’
Or perhaps you could join the two sentences by omitting the period between them?

And here:

Turning he saw Vesirrion lad behind him.

I think you meant ‘land’ behind him.

Nodding his head Vesirrion followed Viper. “I’ll join you.”


A comma is necessary between ‘head’ and ‘Vesirrion’.

I hope you post soon, because I'm totally hooked and eager to know what is about to happen to Viper's land! Are the Onyx Wyverns planning an attack? please post soon I wanna know!
Oh and could you please tag me as you post a new chapter?
Keep writing!






Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I will be posting very soon, now this chapter is out the green room, I will post the next one. :D
And the things you pointed out were very helpful. Silly mistakes you make when you are in the moment.
I'm super happy you are already rooting for Viper, I wanted to show in this chapter that his a lot stranger than you would have thought, being that he doubted himself in the other chapters, so that's really good.
I'll make sure to tag you when I post!
Again thank you for the review!





Oops stronger not stranger. O.O





I'm glad I could help you! I'm really excited to hear that you're posting soon. Yay!! Looking forward to it! :)





Posted the next chapter! :D So soon I know!! XD



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 3377
Reviews: 67

Donate
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm
View Likes
Awru wrote a review...



Hallo!Like always at your service madame a bit late though.How am i supposed to review if you are not going to make mistakes.I mean seriously!!Its getting harder.And i am tired of making the same monotonous boring reviews without any spices.But that is not my fault.Yes it isn't!!
Lets start with the review i just loved the name Onyx Wyvern it has such a sensation to it.It send chills down back no kidding but i could be overreacting i have this issue.
I really enjoyed how you created all the suspense when Viper was stalking the onyx.It was fullfiling.I wish you had described the onyx a bit more though.
Oh and the violent content Man!You did an excellent job portraying Vipers strength and experience in uh killing.You aroused my curiosity about wwanting to know more about Onyx so thats a win-win..Ndutu seems like quite a sparky fella.
And last but not the least it is time for some typo treats(Wow it wasn't that bad)

He quickly cast a glance at Ndutu behind him, he jolted his head a little to his left to tell the dragonet to follow behind him.

In the second phrase it would be pretty feeling if it wasto tell the dragonet to follow him since you already used behind.
putting a talon down in the pools one at a time trying as hard as he could to keep as silent as possible

It is fine like this too but i think 4 ases in one sentence is a very risky and dangerous thing what if they donot like each other and a war breaks out.Plzz try to be a bit sympathetic towards these ases and save them from DESTRUCTION.Over reaction kicking in again
air making him move faster through the boring rain

At first I thought what so the rain was boring??Lol
Placing his feet on the wet ground he placed his wings at his sides.

Do not just change the placement of placed destroy it with EMM another word
I come baring disturbing news

Bearing

Keep up the excellent Work :smt023

peace out


I just realized it is 12:30 pm so did i got kicked out of the teammm Noooooo Cruel Fate






Thank you so much for the review! I'm really glad the Name Onyx Wyvern sent shivers up your back, that's just what I wanted.
I also agree the Onyx Wyvern should have had more description.
Thank you so much for pointing out those mistakes, it helps a lot.

You can get back into the team next month. Thought you did stay in for a very long time. :D



Awru says...


I didn't got kicked out yayyyyyyy!!





Few! *Wipes forehead*




"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk