z

Young Writers Society


16+

Laura, The Ward.

by Fizz


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

So there I was, back on the ward again. It was impossibly unchanged, exactly as I remembered it. Same place, same routine. My electrical cords, shoelaces, tweezers, nail clippers, deodorant can, and phone are taken away from me. At least this time I'm expecting it. The process of my admission takes no longer than 3 minutes. This would ideally be a good time to get settled, but as usual I get caught up before I can go anywhere, and I am introduced to the cast.

This time the cast is different. It’s still the same show, just with different faces. First there is the token inmate, in from remand for a short term assessment. His name is Jason. He immediately assures me of his innocence, and gives me his diagnosis, 'explosive schizophrenic'. He is incredibly easy in manner and very welcoming, but his capacity for rage later became apparent. He longed for company, he said he was bored to tears on the ward and couldn't wait to go back to jail. "This place is horrible," he said "can't even have a cigarette”. “My brothers are in the lock up anyway, I’d rather be with them".

Jason introduces me to main cast; the drug-induced psychotic, the off-her-meds bipolar, the delusional engineer and the old lady with the voices. This is not how I see them, but it is how they are introduced. They are introduced as labels, because here, those labels become your identity. I want to know what they see when they look at me.

Later on I meet the Irish girl, Laura, who has a special nurse following her constantly. She comes up to me and proclaims “this is Russia, war-time Russia”. According to Jason, she has declared almost every part of the ward as international land. She stands staring at me, laughing to herself. She is wearing her pyjamas, no shoes, and a t-shirt wrapped around her head like a turban. As cruel as it sounds, Laura did become a great source of entertainment. She was fun and spontaneous, if a little bit violent and psychotic. She was with all of us in the main part of the ward, the low dependency unit. Around the corner is the high dependency unit. I like to call it Neverland. People never go there by choice, and if they return, they always return in a sleepy, drug induced daze. A couple of days later, an incident with Laura took her to the other side.

“Who are you talking to Laura?” The nurses is using her best calm voice, gently trying to pry the patient phone out of Laura’s hands.

“I don’t know,” says Laura, laughing gleefully, “I don’t know her name. What’s your name?” she asks, pulling the phone back.

“Are you calling the ambulance again Laura?” The calm voice is waning now.

This has become a common occurrence. Laura has called for an ambulance twice this week, and yesterday she tried to report the theft of her human rights to the police. As Laura's tone begins to turn hysterical, the ward duress signal starts to beep loudly. The duress signal is triggered by an emergency button that every nurse carries on their key chain. When this duress signal goes off, nurses and wards-men race through the hospital to assist, usually by restraining a patient, and forcefully sedating them. As the signal sounds, Laura seems to sense the trouble and she begins to yell.

“No, No! I have diplomatic immunity!” By this stage one of the nurses has the phone and is assuring the operator that she knows false calls are an offence, and explains that the caller is not legally responsible for her own actions. The offender is charging away.

“I JUST WANT A FUCKING CIGARETTE!” The nurses are following from a safe distance as Laura, still pyjama clad, stands defensively on an armchair, clutching a paper bag full of her belongings to her chest.

“Come on Laura, I think you need to take a break” says the nurse. She looks tired as all hell. Laura drops her paper bag and throws herself to the ground screaming, “I have diplomatic immunity! IMMUNITY!” The nurses are coming in closer and Laura begins to get more and more hysterical and it is obvious that she can’t be reasoned with. A nurse reaches out to touch her arm and she lashes out to hit them. Now it’s on. Violence against staff is the point of no return. The wards-men grab her by the arms and she struggles violently.

“Get real! Get away from me!” yells Laura, struggling hard.

“Come on Laura, don’t be silly, get up”

“No! Get away from me”

Once 5 nurses and 3 wards-men are on the scene, they finally manage to pull her up and she is marched, literally kicking and screaming around the corner to Neverland. Her screams echo through the corridors.

Once the screams fade to nothing, the ward goes on, unperturbed.

“We’re making scones with jam and cream at 10:15, if you’re interested” says the day program manager, grinning like it’s the best damn day of her whole life. I am in the twilight zone.

Things on the ward go from zero to 100 in seconds, most often without any warning. Just this morning Laura was singing Broadway classics, sitting in the alcove where the bin should have been. She was happy, happy in a psych ward kind of way, not a real world kind of way. She tried to wrap her bed sheet around her and wear it as a toga whilst refusing to remain seated at breakfast because 'it was traditional to dance while eating in official Irish territory'. And now, no more than ten minutes later, she doesn’t exist. That’s how it is here, on the ward we are all like children. People disappear around that corner and we forget. Often we don’t get to see them come back.

With frequent yelling and acts of violence, the main rooms of the ward are mostly unbearable. Thankfully, I can hide in my room/holding cell. It's quiet, and sun pools on my bed so I can lie in the warmth. The room is decorated in fake wood, a fake wood chest of drawers attached to the ground, a fake wood bed attached to the ground, a fake wood desk attached to the ground. There is a tall window that faces directly in to the rooms in the next corridor, with a small courtyard in between. It is minimal, but the blankness is peaceful. Hiding in my room is noted down as ‘isolating’ and ‘anti-social behaviour’. Everything here is noted down. Whether or not you eat your meals, when you sleep, how long you sleep for, if you are writing, or talking, or reading. All of it is written down for revision by our psychiatrists. Today, I have been reminded twice that refusing to speak to other people won't get me out of here any quicker, but my mind is so loud, everything is so dark, and I don’t want to be seen. I can withdraw in to a safer space in my room, an empty space I can fill without having to exist. Away from the garish colours and noise of the ward I can float in an ‘in-between’ state, where the world doesn’t exist outside of my room, and I don’t exist inside it. The tiny courtyard outside my window will one day be beautiful, but now it is stunted. It feels dry, unfinished, although I hope that I never see it fully grown. The thought of looking out this window in ten years makes me want to stop breathing.

Soon, my peaceful dissociation is short lived. I have visitors. I receive visitors fairly often, more often than I would like, but after seeing patients who never get visitors, who have no one, no family, no friends, I have learnt to be grateful. When my visitors arrive, I regal them with play-by-play accfounts of the events on the ward. From some tiny store of energy I pull out a normal, energetic person and she makes light of every truly mad thing I've seen, because to her, their pain was source for entertainment. I hate her.

I knows that my experience is a unique one, and that the stories of the ward satisfy a kind of morbid curiosity for the people on the outside. This other person, the normal person, cares about nothing and no one. She is mean, and tough, and she functions as a big barrier between me and the terribly sad things I see on the ward. No one wants to hear about the horror, or the dullness, or the despondency. They want to hear you say something that proves that the person they know still exists. They want you to be at your best. I know it salves their worries, and I do my best to give them some relief. The guilt of what I have done overwhelms me, and I am exhausted.

My visitors do eventually leave, just like I wanted them to, but when they go I feel a deep sense of abandonment and desperation. I am all alone, staring at my courtyard, and I'm going to be here forever. It is bleak, so terribly bleak, and I am pulled back to that awful feeling of hopelessness. I am just a sinking, toxic, mess. The futility of my life stares me in the face. I do nothing, and I will always do nothing. Life is a never ending blank space. A terrifying blank space. It's like being stuck in a bad dream and knowing that you have nothing to wake up to. Death still scares me. I think it will always scare me. When I decided to die, my fear of death couldn't overwhelm my fear of the horrible way I was living, and I could see no future, none at all. That experience has changed me, for good. I'm not the same person I was 8 months ago when this all began. I never thought that things would get worse, I didn't think it was possible. But it was. I would do anything to get that girl back, the girl who at least had the energy to do something. But she really is gone, and I will never be there again. My desperate hopelessness is paralysing. I feel like my bones have turned to concrete, and every move is exhausting. So what do you do when you can do nothing to shift the misery? When everything feels harder than you could have imagined? I’ll tell you what you do, you take some Valium, and you have a nap.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 pm
Gravity wrote a review...



This is the only part of the autobiography that I have read. I thought it was... unique. Almost maddening in the sense that I want more info, but extremely unique. I love your descriptions. I wish you would've introduced your first person point of view in the beginning. When you talk about Laura in the beginning, I thought at first this was form third person. Then you use the word "I", and I think that you've changed the POV without realizing it. Then I read on and see it is first person. It's a bit jarring and confusing.

I want to know what Laura's significance is to you. At the moment, I see that she's a crazy chick who was at the same mental hospital as you. I'm curious as to how she changed your life, and why you remember her. I get that you kinda include it when you mention how you have visitors and they want to see you at your best, etc. but just make it more clear.

Last thing, "That’s how it is here, we are like children, they disappear around that corner and we forget. Often we don’t get to see them come back."
I love this sentence. I love your comparison with the children. Little kids wander off to God knows where doing God knows what. It's a humorous comparison. The thing is, I'm a little curious as to where they went, or where everybody thought they went. If you're afraid you'll go to the same place, etc. etc.

Your descriptions, again, were lovely and I think you really captured the trapped feeling one must feel in an institute. When I get the chance, I want to read more pieces of your autobiography.




Fizz says...


Very good point about the first person POV. I think I'll add something to the beginning that will tie up that problem, and the problem with Laura's significance. Thanks for the review, it's given me some good direction.



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3149
Reviews: 47

Donate
Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 am
SlushySlapped wrote a review...



Hello!

SlushySlapped here for a review!

I'm just going to go through grammar/punctuation and all that jazz first.

Here the 't' in 'the' needs to be capitalized and it should be nurse instead of nurses.

“Who are you talking to Laura?” The nurse uses her best calm voice, gently trying to pry the patient phone out of Laura’s hands.


(This is something I have found a lot. Words after question marks and exclamation points must always be capitalized!)

Second 'no' should be lowercase.

“No, no! I have diplomatic immunity!”


Period at the end. Same with Laura's line after.

“Come on Laura, don’t be silly, get up.


Numbers, unless it's the time, should always be written out.

Once 5 five nurses are on the scene...


Comma after 'interested.'

“We’re making scones with jam and cream at 10:15, if you’re interested,” says...


'Have' instead of 'had'. And 'on' should be 'in.'

She is mean, and tough, and a big barrier between me and the terribly sad things I had have seen on in the ward.


This sentence is way to long! I suggest a period after 'despondency.'

No one wants to hear about the horror, or the dullness, or the despondency. They want a story, they want you to be at your best, it salves their worries, and she does it for them as much as for me.


Alright, that's everything I found.

Overall, I loved this! I don't know why, but these kind of stories always intrigue me. I could never imagine being in a psychiatric ward. I have a feeling, though, I would probably feel something like how the narrator did. I especially loved how you ended it!

I’ll tell you what you do, you take some Valium, and have a nap.


Great job on this, my dear!

Keep writing!

:D




Fizz says...


You have good eyes for proofing. I'll make those changes, thanks so much for the help!




Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg