z

Young Writers Society



Tracing Constellations

by Fireweed


It was my eleventh summer,
A balmy British Colombia night.
Splintery planks pressed up through our clothing as we
Lay on the narrow dock, elevated just above the lake’s surface-
Dark and gleaming and peppered with reflections of stars,
So many molten diamonds that
Danced and distorted in the languid breeze.
You reached up to trace the constellations with a fingertip,
Your words weaving visions of goddesses and monsters,
Of hapless Orion and swift Pegasus.
I wondered at the way you read the stars
Like incandescent Braille.

If I ever have a child, father,
I will lie with them beneath a summer sky brimming
With a spill of stars that sparkle like champagne.
I will trace for them the constellations
And I will think of you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 335

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:36 pm
Fireweed says...



Thanks so much, everyone!<3 I might be including this in a poetry portfolio I'm submitting to hopefully get a scholarship, so it's encouraging to get such positive responses.




User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 1155
Reviews: 98

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:25 pm
chasingcolts21 wrote a review...



An amazing piece! Great job, there wasn't much wrong with it! You captured my interest at the beginning of the poem. I'd add a simile, or even a Homeric simile. Similes and metaphors help. There was a bit of personification. Lots of alliteration. No grammar mistakes! I would break the first stanza in two; it'll balance with the third stanza better.

Overall, it was great! Nice little poem.

-Colt




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 1656
Reviews: 122

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:09 am
WaterVyper wrote a review...



Very beautiful, Fireweed. The imagery was vividly clear and the voice of the narrator was amazing. You made it sound like the person really was speaking to their father. It was all combined beautifully to make an amazing poem. The metaphors and comparisons you used were, as gyrfalcon said, original. Exquisite and heartfelt. Simply stunning.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:58 pm
gyrfalcon wrote a review...



A beautiful piece, darling--your imagery was sublime and your word choice delightfully simple (I mean that in the most complimentary way possible, I generally abhor flowery language in poetry). As a personal style choice, I'm not much of a fan of capitalizing the beginnings of every line, but of course that's entirely up to you. I especially like the "incandescent Braille"--very original. Keep writing!





History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx