z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence

The Jungle Room

by Firestarter


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and violence.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:38 am
View Likes
Apricity wrote a review...



As requested.

Heyo Jacko, great to see you alive and kickin'. Not that I think you know who I am, but I'm sure we will get acquainted soon enough. I've skimmed over the reviews you've got, so hopefully I will be shredding this piece apart mercilesslyof some help. Anyways, let's go.

I like to comment on this story as a reader before diving into the more technical aspects of this review, I do really like the concept of this story, the setting, the characters and the humane aspects portrayed in it. There is a very solid, grounded feel with your writing. So that's a great thing. That being said, I do have a few things to say. I'm not going to be terribly nit-picky about this, I'm just going to sum it up for you, nice and neat. Hopefully.

So your world-building, it's either all or nothing. Yours is stuck somewhere in between. Your world building needs to be portrayed more here. I have no doubt that you know about your world, considering the details you've put in this story. There was definitely some planning there but there isn't enough backstory in this story. Keep in mind that this is a short story (despite the length), it is a specific frame within the protagonist's life. We don't get anymore, if you want to present something then you need to do it all here. The world-building itself isn't bad, however there are a lot of unexplained things. For example, just exactly where are they? What kind of society is this? Yes, I get a vague idea of what it's like (obviously they condemned the Arts and functions as a Spartan state) but what exactly is going on with the war? You focused a lot on Julius, inserting snippets of background here and there but it doesn't all link up. I'd actually either focus on Julius and incorporate the background along with Julius's emotions or try and contextualise the entire story (which can be rather finicky, but it's up to you). Just something to chew on.
(There isn't enough humane aspects portray in it)

Speaking of world building, let's talk a bit about your description. Your descriptions aren't bad, in fact they're quite original in their own way. You obviously know your way around the English language, but your description are purely there for the sake of describing things. Good descriptions at the end of the day should aim to breathed emotion into your writing.

Stella mentioned your dialogue, I'm going to mention it again. I remember seeing the word 'balls' somewhere in this piece and I was thought 'hmmm', it doesn't really fit in the context with your story considering this is obviously not set in our world. And 'balls' is obviously an invention of the modern world. It's like imagining Plato saying 'balls' actually he might have. You get my point. Be consistent with your tone. Your dialogue, for the most part sound like volley shots being exchanged with some emotion thrown in between. The dialogue itself doesn't adorn the character but acts as a stand-alone, not all but in some. This enlightening article gives you a great insight into writing dialogue, and this here gives you a few tips on what to avoid.

Now that's out of the way. Let's talk characters. I very much like the style in which you present your characters, it's very soothing in a way. Especially the amount of details you incorporate in them, however, I feel that in here. You don't show the humane side of them very much. There is a lot of action, a lot of reminiscing going on, but not some much reflection. Which is what I'm dying to see in a piece like this, I felt somewhat disappointment that we didn't get to see that much of Julius's feelings when he killed Alexander. I really wanted to see the psychology behind that. His interaction with Bird too, intrigues me a lot, they become awfully close within a very short amount of time. The switch from B-1RD to Bird actually baffled me a bit because it was so swift. Programming or no programming. Julius, I felt as a character didn't have enough time to develop. There was a lot of happening but not enough time to expand it out fully. Sometimes, less is more.

Your vocabulary is fabulous by the way (I don't say that to everyone).

The ending as Stella said, also annoys me quite a bit too. It seemed very abrupt, Bird didn't seem like the type to twist off someone's head. Provoked or not. I would have thought she would have performed that action in a different way. He went from caring to non-caring pretty quick too, what happened there?

I usually end my reviews with a summary of what I've said, but I've been switching between this and my resume I have good faith you know what I'm talking about. It's been a pleasure to read this work, the vocabulary, the style in which it's written is of a higher standard than what I mostly encounter.

I hoped I've helped, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me or shoot me a PM.

-Flite




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:43 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Hey Jack!

You asked, and I obliged.

So this was... interesting. There was a lot going on. I liked Julius, I loved Bird. I liked the flashback-y moments of utter fear and PTSD, I thought they were well done. I liked the mish-mash of old and new, I always think that that's something fun to play with when writing this kind of futuristic story.

I have a few smaller nitpick-y complaints, so let's begin with those:

The simple beat of counting kept him sane on the long, droning flight back home. List number one - what the war had cost him. Half his left arm and his whole right leg, two years of his life, four friends, sobriety, adolescence, two teeth, and a dog. List number two - the items in his possession. One bloodied battledress tunic, two packs of smokes, a machete stolen from the natives, a black and white photo of Alexander, frayed and bent. An illegal nanochip harvested from the charred ruins of a rebel android tucked in his chest pocket. Two bottles of the finest Carruther’s gin (one half empty). His MFD glasses loaded with passport and discharge papers. A burnt and blackened dog collar on his right wrist. A gold lighter inscribed with the initials CBK.


I really really like this paragraph but the punctuation bugs the heck out of me. I hate how the first list is all commas, then the second list is half commas and half separate sentences. The (one half empty) also annoys me, as surely it would be "one and a half bottles" instead? I love the idea, I just dislike the execution.

The windscreen exploded in black feathers with an almighty thump.


This whole paragraph... did this actually happen? I realise that you're playing a lot with reality, with the mix of what is real and what isn't, when things happened and timelines and I do like that, but I kept wondering if the plane actually did crash...

- To me, cyborgs are part human, and androids are all robot. I thought they were totally separate things, so it threw me to see them being used interchangeably.

- B-1RD was first referred to as 'he' and then 'it' - was the change intentional? It seems weird to make something more human by changing to 'it' but if it is a stylistic choice then that's your decision.

- There was a whole segment that just seemed like a big Game of Thrones reference xD Hang on lemme find it. (I'm assuming it wasn't intentional as I seem to remember you as an ASOIAF fan?)

“Yes, Alexander was strong. Alexander was brave. Alexander was a patriot. And Alexander died,” his father growled. “When you were born, you killed your mother. Just a malformed baby and already you had killed. And when they told me you were too weak to live, I took you and left you in the mountains. Four days later I returned to find you not dead, but thriving. Alexander should have been Leonidas reborn, but he was brittle. He was always safe. You should have died under that mountain, but you survived. You have always been a survivor, Julius. Remember who killed him?”


This. This was a combination of Jorah Mormont explaining Rhaegar to Daenerys ( 'Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.'), and Tywin Lannister speaking to Tyrion.

Okay, I think that's about it for nitpicks. Into the grit...picks.

- your dialogue was uneven to me. Now this again might be a style thing - you wanted a mix of dialect and slang and formal language but overall it just didn't quite fit together. Like when baby-Jules gets upset about the kitten, he doesn't speak like a frightened child. Maybe you're trying to show how he isn't just a frightened child, but it still seems stilted and unnatural to me.

- I think the worldbuilding, while a fun exercise to do when you're getting into a story, actually really detracted from the story. We didn't need an explanation of the Republic of Europe - at least I didn't think we did. There were a few things like that where I felt that honestly, we would have been better off not knowing. In a bigger, expanded universe? Absolutely! I love to know these things. But in this? I think it's unnecessary and clunky to mention. But still cool as a concept.

- Why did Julius come back home in the first place? Why bother? Was killing his father always his plan? It didn't feel that way.

- which brings be to my main point: building tension.
I felt like the arc of the story wasn't quite right. His father came back all of a sudden and I never got a particular sense of dread and then boom he was dead. The whole thing just didn't add up for me, and I think that there are some very easy tension builders you could use to bring it back up. Shorter sentences. Describing emotions, physiological signs of fear or anger. A flash of intention. A build up to the act itself and -

And then it happens.

I felt like his father's neck got snapped halfway through a paragraph in the middle of the Julius/Bird love story (which is a thing, right? I like that being a thing) - but I didn't feel like you were telling a story about how we can overcome our differences and live in harmony. I think you were telling a story about a man with daddy issues. And the emphasis just wasn't there for me. The story didn't climax the way it should have, and I think you need to work on making that more obvious.

-the last line also really annoyed me. Just because he has offed his dad, and the war is over bla-bla-bla, that doesn't mean its effects are over. It seemed too easy to me, that he can just stop counting and just focus on being happy now. That's not realistic, and it wasn't the strongest ending you could have had.

Sorry, I realise I've been quite harsh. I know you're just kind of getting back into the swing of writing and I think that a lot of these issues are easily solved with a little bit more time back at the wheel! Overall, I really liked it, especially Bird, and I am glad that you decided to share it with us!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x




Firestarter says...


Thanks for the review Stella!

The windscreen scene with the bird is an interesting one. I changed it from an earlier draft where Julius was drugged on a larger plane back from Uganda after panicking. But it definitely is a weaker scene as it's newer and has had less editing than others. You're right about the idea of a unreliable narrator - I definitely wanted the idea that maybe everything happening to Julius is perhaps all in the Jungle Room, but perhaps I should emphasise that more obviously.

The pronouns change is mostly errors. B-1RD should be referred to as 'it' the whole time, but I find it awkward to use and kept forgetting! Something to edit.

Yeah the Game of Thrones thing was kind of a nod to GRRM - so it was sort of intentional. But perhaps it's closer to pure plagiarism! I'll try and come up with something of my own.

Did you find any other specific problems with the dialogue? Dialogue has always been tricky for me, it's one of my worst skills, so I worry about it a lot. I'll try and make Julius sound more like a child.

In terms of the world-building, I am tempted to completely cut the scene where he is taught history. Like you say, it is interesting to me, but is it needed? Probably not.

Why did Julius come home? Well, if you believe he ever left the Jungle Room, he returned because of his wounds. He was discharged after losing a limb and a half! Did he plan to kill his father? No, and he didn't. Bird did. What I tried to get across in the story is the idea that Julius resorts to violence all the time because he has been programmed by his father to do so. For example, he immediately hits B-1RD when he is irritated. However, he turns away from this at the end, finally standing up to his father. But, Bird steps in, because Bird knows that his father is evil in the end and should die, and that Julius is too "human" to do it, whereas Bird is not. Hence the Macbeth quote.

Interestingly though, the ending is supposed to be slightly ambiguous. After all, they are in the Jungle Room. Does Julius just dream of his father dying? That would magically solve all his problems, after all. Isn't it all a little too convenient?



StellaThomas says...


So I tried to catch you on chatbar but you vanished again so I guess I will respond here after all - much to my chagrin, I hadn't actually thought about the possibility that they were still in the room. To be honest, that would... make a lot of sense, and the concept does make things fit together a bit better! I don't think that's to do with your skills as a writer though, more to do with my skills as a discerning reader. That's what happens when you do too much science.

I think my main issue with the dialogue was that it just felt a bit stilted or staged. Something I always find is that fictional characters get to the point a lot more quickly than real people. This is of course partly necessary as it's a short story and things have to happen. But in reality, we speak in a lot more roundabout ways. Here, they have very stark, very important conversations with barely any small talk. And that's fine! But the impression is very formal (which is good in terms of Julius and his father), and very rehearsed (which is perhaps, not quite so good).



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 387
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:00 am
IssacHunt wrote a review...



SPOILERS

Wow, this is . . . really good. The symbolism, the characters, the characterization, the dialogue, the action, hell - the setting and . . . mythos (I guess you call it that ) is my favorite - everything about this story is great. The only two things I have questions about is what does MFD stand for - the best I could come up with was Multi Function Display (since ya' know, their glasses and all) - and when Julius changes Bird's nanochip, is he technically a male cyborg with a female mind or does the body change as well (I'm guessing the initial)?

The reason I like the setting a lot is kind of a personal bias. See, I've always liked the Antiquity/Medieval period mixed with Futuristic technology theme (see Quake, Chrono Trigger, and Strife), it's an entertaining theme that's almost always connected to good products within media.

The reason I like the mythos is because, well, it's so damn grasping. The revolution, the war, the political conflict, it was all cool (and I really the robots were their own distinct species from the humans instead of being just, ya' know, mindless machines).

This review is verbose. Anyway, my final recommendation is to definitely read this, it's dark and ripe with great drama, and it's ending is really good too. I hope you continue to write more.
-Hunt




Firestarter says...


Thanks for the review.

Bird's situation is a bit more complex than that. I think it is wrong to think of an AI as having a gender. The cyborgs are built to look male or human with their physical bodies, because that is how humans want them to look. But B-1RD and Bird's nanochips are not male or female.

But the relationship, I suppose, stems from Julius's attraction to the original cyborg which had Bird's nanochip - the female model. The relationship was interesting in that manner, because Julius now has a relationship of sorts with a male cyborg. Does that alter his sexuality? Is it sexual? Or does Julius just need love of any kind? I thought these ideas were interesting and I hope they showed in the text somewhat.



IssacHunt says...


Alright, thanks. That cleared things up.




It takes as much imagination to create debt as to create income.
— Leandro Orr