love and like are not synonyms

by FireEyes

i love you. but i can't say i like you.

i adopted love quickly after the "like" stage.

my heart was a filled container,

and had been for a while.

but it is not as full as before.

my lid popped off.

now the droplets of love are escaping

minute by minute because

i don't like you.

you're the actor, writer, singer i love dearly,

but i never really liked you.

i kept you

because i half-way tolerated you,

and i sunk my nails in deep.

i never let go till now.

i was scared of getting older,

getting harder,

getting lonelier,

and ending up with the person 

i hate most (me),

and to fill the hole i chose you,

and you,

and you,

and mostly you.

i screamed about it,

but it was only one voice in a choir.

and then i realized that i love you!

.

.

.

but i don't like you.

Stickied -- Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:42 am
FireEyes says...

Just a fair credit note here, this is largely based off the Bojack Horseman monologue in Season 3 ep. 5. It became and interpolation into my own work, but proper credit nonetheless

Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:58 pm
WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Hey, there! I just read this, so I'll leave a few comments. First of all, this is an uncommon topic that makes the reader think while reading the poem. It's engaging because as you're reading, you try to get a good hold on the intended interpretation. I like when people use poetry and other forms of writing to tackle ideas, feelings, and thoughts that aren't necessarily common, so that definitely gives this piece a few points in my opinion.

I think you did pretty well in dividing up the lines so everything flows fairly smoothly. It looks like you went for a format with no capitalization, and it appears you've stuck with that throughout the whole thing, which is great for consistency.

Good job using imagery like "my heart was a filled container" and "the droplets of love escaping" to paint a picture in the reader's mind. These details are one of the elements that give life to a literary work. Plus, they can add feeling as well.

Well, that's all for now! Thanks for sharing this poem, and keep up the good work.

Horisun wrote a review...

Hi! I hope you're having a good day or night!

There's so much to love about this poem. It's thesis statement that love doesn't require the prerequisite of liking the individual. It doesn't even necessitate that the object of love is even a good person.

You absolutely killed it with the final two lines:

and then i realized that i love you!

.

.

.

but i don't like you.

The words on their own are already well written and very impactful, but the way you leave a 'breath' on the page is really cool. It emphasizes the final line really well. I once attended a poetry workshop in which the presenter talked about poetry being a visual medium as well as an auditory one, to which you take full advantage!

I noticed a small spelling error here:

getting herder,

I assume this is supposed to be "i was scared of getting older; getting harder; getting lonelier" as that's how it's delivered in the Bojack Horseman monologue, but do correct me if I'm wrong!

I wasn't entirely sold by your second line:

This may just be my interpretation, but I feel like it sort've contradicts your central thesis, that to "love" and to "like" someone are two separate and unrelated things, whereas here this line applies that they are different levels of a pyramid. (think to meet -> to like -> to love)

I'm not sure that was your intention, so maybe some clarification would serve that line well.

All in all, though, I really enjoyed reading this! The overall message is insightful, and executed masterfully. I enjoyed the different analogies you use, such as your heart being a container, and I feel the ending was spectacular!

With that said, keep on writing and have a great rest of your afternoon! :D

FireEyes says...

literally thanks so much for the typo thing, i wrote it so late at night in a total rush for no reason. and yeah i wasn't sold by the second line either, thanks for pointing it out. ah so sorry this is such a rushed response, but i really do appreciate your feedback <3

Horisun says...

Of course!! Thank you for the response <3

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica