The Princess with a Third Eye

by FioFaire

(This is currently a work in progress. I decided to post the first "chapter" I have now, and will post the rest as I continue through part 2 and so on. I planned on making this a children's story, but right now, it's not condensed / final. Please enjoy.)

A woman's shrill voice could be heard echoing through the palace walls, “My word! Your highness!”

Startled, the young girl jumps upon seeing her servant. Her expression froze, like a deer caught in headlights.

“What is the meaning of this?!”

The area surrounding her, was covered in chalk. The floor, and the walls, were all smudged with different hues of carbonated rock.

Nervous, the girl gives off a faint smile, “...Well...”

Before she knew it, the chalk was being ripped from her hands.

Her servant stares at her with intense eyes, “You should know better.”

“...But”, she begins to protest.

“No buts”, the woman retorts.

Hanging her head, she lets out a sigh of defeat, “...Yes ma'am.”

After picking up the remaining chalk, her servant wags her finger in front the girl's face.

“Princess. Do you have Any idea, how furious your parents would be, if they saw this first?”

Continuing to avoid eye contact, she sheepishly nods.

Her servant's voice boomed like a crack of thunder, “Princess.”

Afraid, the princess raised her head hesitantly until their eyes met.

“...Yes ma'am.”

Her harsh glare did not deteriorate the intensity present in her eyes, “And what would they say?”

Pressure began to collapse upon the girl. Black silhouettes wrapping their hands her, pulling her into the abyss.

“...They would be disappointed.”

Pleased with her response, she nods in satisfaction.

“That's right, they would.”

Knowing that her words would have no effect, she unable to do anything more, except stand silently.

Minutes pass, as her servant disappears to return the chalk to it's rightful place.

Waiting patiently, she contemplates whether she should continue to wait around, or make a break for it.

Before she could make a conclusive decision, her servants returns, carrying a washcloth in hand.

Continuing to gaze upon the princess sternly, she extends the cloth forward.

“I believe you know what this is for.”

Without saying a word, she gets down on her knees, retrieving the cloth from the woman's hand. Slowly, she wipes away the mess she had made.

Hanging over her majesty, she lets out a sigh, “...My... what will we ever do with you?”

Once she had finished, she stood up, dusting off the remnants of chalk left on her skirt.

Looking around at the walls which once held her drawings, she could see her servant gesturing for the cloth back in the corner of her eye.

Carefully picking up the cloth with her thumb and index finger, she gently places it in her hand.

Concerned, her servant scrunches up her forehead, “Little miss...”

Having gone through this routine several times, the girl stands with her arms at her side, ready for the words that were to come out her mouth.

“You need to-”

“You need to be more ladylike.”

The girl finished her servant's sentence for her, much to the disdain of her servant. They've been through this many times before.

“...Rosalie...”

Her servant stared down at the stubborn little girl, who was quiet, and trying to avoid returning her gaze.

Shaking her head in dismay, her servant sighed to herself, exasperated.

“It seems like no amount of discipline is enough for you. Everything we've done hasn't been enough to break you of your childish ways-”

She comes to halt, watching as Rosalie's lips curl up into a faint smirk.

“...And what is so amusing to you, Miss Rosalie?”

Snickering to herself, the little girl's lips formed into a pleasantly coy grin, “Did it ever occur to you, that maybe... I am a child?”

Without any time to react, Rosalie feels a sharp pain coming from her left hand.

Her servant had taken a firm hold, and slapped her with a ruler.

Letting out a yelp, the girl couldn't hide her pain, even though she knew it was coming.

Rubbing her hand gently, she watched as her servant stormed out of the room, “I swear. That way of acting is anything but royalty.”

Hanging her head in dismay, the girl sat there, looking quietly at the red mark left on her hand.

“...Mommy and Daddy don't hurt me when I'm bad...”

Seeing light creep in from the throne room door, Rosalie hesitantly picks herself up, and trudges her way toward her awaiting parents.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:47 am
Kazumi wrote a review...

Hey FioFaire, it's outvaders here. I'm just passing by to pull you out of the Green Room. The story's pretty short, so why the hell not?

Before anything else though, a belated welcome to YWS. I know you've been registered a while back, but you got no other works, no reviews, no posts, no nothing yet. You're still like, clean and still at the starting point. So yeah, welcome back.

Here are all the complaints I have of this story so far, in no particular order:

-The character whom you constantly call the "servant" acts more of a governess than the servant of a royal family. A servant is more of a person who serves their master through doing errands and carrying out household chores like cooking and cleaning. A governess on the other hand, is hired to teach children in their homes. Looking back to the actions of your "servant" character and the definition of a servant and a governess, I believe it is more appropriate to label that character a "governess" than just a servant.

-...The ellipses... They're just... Too... Many...

No really, I suggest you do away with these ellipses... which is the thing that I just put there. It's alright to use ellipses once in a while, but when they pop up way too often, it just makes the story (and you) look amateur or even illiterate. I suggest using commas more than ellipses; they still convey the same effect. If you can convey the mood perfectly, however, then you don't need ellipses or commas to convey the feelings of your character.

-All punctuation adjacent to quotation marks should be enclosed in them.

“No buts”, the woman retorts.

That is wrong.

“No buts," the woman retorts.

This is right.

You can look this up in the site I'll link here, which is The Punctuation Guide. It's nice, concise, and easy to understand, so this is a good place if you want to brush up on your punctuation: http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/quotation-marks.html

-There is little setting in this story. Sure, it was mentioned that the setting is in a palace and implied in the dialogue that this is a royalty's palace, but there isn't much said about it. Most of the time it just feels as if it's just the characters in a blank, white world. It's a shame, because you could have gotten me more invested in the story had you described the setting more. If you had described the setting more, you could have convinced me to believe that this story is not fiction but a believable reality, in turn making these characters seem more like real people with real problems, in turn making me feel something for these characters.

Anyways, that's the end of the review. I hope I was able to give you at the very least some new knowledge about writing. I might not have liked your first story here, but don't be discouraged. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and more often than not, their first stories aren't really the best. You've still got a lot of time to get better at writing, so no worries for now. I don't have much left to say, so I'll just end it here. Have a good day.

-outvaders

btw your anime avatar is pretty pretty, I like it

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ here for a quick review.

Basically what you have here is a detailed outline, but not the finer parts of the story. I'll try and give you some suggestions for how to fill in those gaps and make it a little smoother so it could be counted as a rough draft. I'm sorry if that comes across as harsh, but honestly, it needs a lot of work before it could really go anywhere. So here are some of my suggestions on how to reach that point.

The servant seemed to be overly harsh to the princess. She seemed to rebuke her rather angrily, and not with the air you would greet a princess. I take it that the princess' parents would not be pleased to see how curtly the servant treated her, since it is bordering on disrespectful. That was my biggest problem with the piece. The physical punishments aren't quite abusive, and it would be a stretch to say they even border on abusive, but it certainly doesn't seem like the type of treatment a member of the royal family would receive. The lack of action and its shortness also seemed to hint that this wasn't really a finished chapter, so I don't want to rough it up too much before it's finished.

That brings me to another point- the length. Obviously, short stories are meant to be short. But there should still be a clear plot introduced. Right now, we have the bare bones of that- a princess urged to be more lady-like by her caretakers. But you lack the exact details that will help the reader to understand why this is such a struggle, as well as other crucial characters, like the king and queen. So I think it should be longer so that the plot can be more developed and include some subplots, like a king who is fighting a war and keeps the princess inside for her safety.

Overall, I think that you have the rough idea of where you want to go with this story figured out. But you only have a sentence for each major development in this first chapter, and it needs to be lengthened to give the plot the time it needs to finish its work. Don't rush the story- it takes time to set up relationships and betrayals, more time than can be expressed in a few brief sentences. Other than that, you just need more writing and then you'll be set! Good luck :)

Best wishes,
MJ

FioFaire says...

I was unsure if I should make this a full story since it's something I came up with randomly a couple days ago. Do you really think I should lengthen it and make it into a bigger piece?
I do agree with your suggestions :) I was unsure if I should set this story in a certain era, and questioned how the servant would discipline her if I based it off the times they lived in.
I was going to finish this little piece and then write a bunch of stories in all genres to find my genre, though, maybe I should take time to turning this piece into something bigger than I planned.

Atticus says...

If you don't have a lot of interest in it, then it's fine if you want to drop it and move on to another idea. But Harry Potter started on napkins at a cafe, and it's blown up since then. So if you're still interested in the idea and still want to write it, you have something to start with here.

FioFaire says...

For some reason, when I tried spacing it correctly in the draft, it came out a lot differently than it did here. I'll have to get used to spacing it here (I copied and pasted my story from my word program, and manually spaced it here to my liking).

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind