z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Gamer Poem

by Ferruccio1234567


Mario is red

Sonic is blue

Please pick up the Wii U

And be my Player Two


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:52 am
View Likes
Kazumi wrote a review...



Hello Ferruccio, it's outvaders here.

This is a cute little poem. It's short, catchy and most of all, it talks about friendship. Or love. It's debatable, but it's more of friendship. Fite me if you think otherwise. But either way, it touches the heart a little bit.

However, I'm not going to sing the same praises as everyone else. You see, for me, this poem doesn't feel original. I mean, this work doesn't feel like a unique poem specially made by a unique person, but rather it feels like a meme that you'll spot in the internet on Valentine's day, or a jingle some gaming channel on YouTube came up with, or a catchphrase that you could find on some random guy's t-shirt. It just feels so easily reproducible. There's also pretty much no trace of you that I see in this poem. I'll try to explain my thoughts.

So starting the poem off is the "Roses are Red" poem format. It's four lines, one stanza, and a famous format for love poems because it's short, catchy and sweet. Its popularity also makes it a good choice to implement it in the poem, because it resonates with a lot of people easily. So, that's two lines out of four down. But wait, there's still the motif of gaming. What are two things that are red and blue, yet are still related to gaming? Oh, what about Mario and Sonic, two of the most iconic video game characters ever? Now that that's out of the way, we have only have half of the poem left.

Let's skip over to the last line. In the internet, the "Player 2" is a widespread and common symbolism of having someone to play with. In other words, love or friendship. I mean, it makes sense, right? It's also convenient that it rhymes with "blue," which helps the poem stay loyal to the format of the "Roses are Red" poem. Another line down, easy-peasy.

Just fill out the third line with another common allusion to gaming (Wii U), then you're all set. Easy-peasy.

Here, I just showed how easy it was to make this poem and how generic it is. You simply used a common poem format (Roses are Red), used common allusions to gaming (Mario, Sonic and Wii U), and used a common symbolism for love or friendship (Player 2). From the first line to the last, this poem is nothing new.

Perhaps the most damning thing I have against this poem is this photo I found on the internet.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=play ... gGWjDli2jM:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380835712212554699/

I looked up "player 2 love poem" on Google, and look what I found:

"Plumbers are Red,
Hedgehogs are Blue
Press Start to join
And be my Player Two."

Look how similar your poem is to this one I found off a mere Google search. Your poem makes references to the essentially the same things as this one, uses the same poem format as this one, and ends off exactly the same way as this one. It feels as if you just took this poem on the internet and slightly paraphrased it. I wouldn't go as far to say that you committed plagiarism because I don't have evidence of that, but the closeness of your poem and this poem on the internet just gives off that vibe. Do you see why I think this is poem is unoriginal?

Anyways, that's the end of the review. I'm not entirely sure how the other reviewers didn't spot these out. Next time, add traces of yourself into your future poems. Maybe you can base your poem on your feelings on love or something like that. Anything to make it feel like it's something special made by Ferruccio1234567, and not a meme that has already circulated the internet a thousand times over.

Despite all that was said, I actually have no ill will towards you. Just keep writing, I hope I'll be able to meet you again soon.

-outvaders






... I thought this was a good base, so I changed the rest to make it better. In my mindset, I didn't really think about plagarism - I thought it needed a review.



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 48

Donate
Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:05 pm
CocoaCat says...



I'm not really what you would call a gamer, but I know enough that I know who sonic an mario are. This is so awesome. It's short but sweet; keep up the good work!




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:52 pm
LeutnantSchweinehund wrote a review...



Good for a quick laugh, something I could most definitely relate to (only problem is, I'm not all that good with women, and I'm a PC gamer). If that was your intent, good work! I personally found it quite enjoyable!

Of course, if it's meant to be something more... Well, too short to be meaningful! But I liked it anyway, which can't be said for most poetry. Anyway, I'll review everything that you did write. I'll try to squeeze as much review quality from this as I possibly can, so bear with me man!

I'll get technicalities out of the way first, then I'll state what I think about your work. It's missing punctuation, and the capitals shouldn't really be capitals. That's about it. Can't judge how well you've mastered grammar, as the poem is very short, but those are the only flaws I found.

Mario is red, you're right. But are you implying that he is a communist by nature? If so, then you'd probably also be right. No matter. First part seems good. I might place a comma after the first line myself.

Sonic is blue, that is also correct. Are you, however, implying that he is a police officer? If so, you are incorrect. Blue lives are still important though, so no complaints there. Keep up the good work, officer.

Now, here's where I've got a personal issue with your poem. Why the Wii U? Sure, you could say that it's a Nintendo product, and Murioh comes from that company, but Sanic is from SEGA! How do you explain that? How on Earth will you justify this act of heresy?

Last part is touching. Honest to God it is touching. I shed a tear. Mate, you triggered an emotional reaction in me, and that's what poems are good for, so goddammit you did a good job on that last line. Sure, call me biased, but even so few words can mean so very much!

I suppose it's blatantly obvious that my review is a product of sheer irony and hyperbole. Still, I stand by my point! This was absolutely great for a quick laugh, and that last line really did affect me more than it should have... Odd, I hope I'm not becoming unnecessarily emotional. Who would then take my post as the cynical reviewer?

You have a lot of nerve (in a good way), you know, and that's exciting. It's always very nice to see an author who fearlessly breaks expectations. Not necessarily exceeds, but utterly destroys them. Can't say I ever would have posted something like this, and the fact that you did makes me reconsider my stance on the topic.

Anyway, as Michael Rosen would say: "Noice!"

Edit: BlueSunset is correct. Third line is too long and breaks the flow/rhythm. Didn't notice that, but I second that criticism.






Sigh... I hate people who can outdo me in the complicated vocabulary game... since simple grammar should suffice.





Big words man. It's all about the big words.

No really, depends on the genre of literature. Some styles work better with complex vocabularies, while others work best with a simple and narrow choice of words. My style just happens to be the former.



Kazumi says...


"Now, here's where I've got a personal issue with your poem. Why the Wii U? Sure, you could say that it's a Nintendo product, and Murioh comes from that company, but Sanic is from SEGA! How do you explain that? How on Earth will you justify this act of heresy?"

-Sanic and Mario are both two of the biggest mascots in gaming. They're also two of the most influential and commonly associated with gaming in general. Think gaming, and characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, and yes, Sonic will pop up.
-They are both playable characters in the Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Smash Wii U.
-They're both Japanese.
-The companies that birthed Mario and Sonic, Nintendo and SEGA respectively, have been very influential to the gaming industry.
-Mario and Sonic have kind of been portrayed as rivals over the years.





You got me there... That's what I get for not playing Super Smash.

Time to get high on mental weed and pretend like stuff makes sense! The lizard people will never take me alive, damn undead sons of hounds!



User avatar
128 Reviews


Points: 6214
Reviews: 128

Donate
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 pm
BlueSunset wrote a review...



Hello there, @Ferruccio1234567! What a cute little poem you have here.

I will be reviewing this, but it may be a short review for there isn't a whole lot to review aha. I really only had one issue, and that was the use of rhyming/syllables. This is very important to poems, especially short ones, because if it isn't done all the way correctly, then things can get worse than expected.

Please pick up the Wii U

As you (might) have seen, visually, this line is much longer than the other three. It also has lots of syllables. If I had written this poem, I probably would have taken out "please" or the "U" in Wii U. I don't think it's necessary to have the third line rhyme, simply because that's how the original rhymes. I believe this was already mentioned by the past review. If you are not comfortable with taking out the "U" then I'd take out "please" because it does not seem to affect the poem that much - in fact, it just seems to be there to add an extra syllable that you don't need.
Also: the original version, Roses are Red, has punctuation. Now I'm not just saying you should add punctuation because the original version of this poem has it. I think it'd look better with punctuation, since it will show when breathing and breaking points are. The poem with punctuation would look like this:
Mario is red,
Sonic is blue.
Please pick up the the Wii U,
and be my Player Two.

In doing this, you'd need to uncapitalize the "a" in "and", for it is not a new sentence because of the comma from the previous line. :)

Overall, this poem was sweet and kind of cute, too. It had a nice feel to it; I'm not sure if that was because of the length or the message in general. :D It was fun to read though, and nice to see a new poem from the original! I hope this review helped somewhat with your writing. This was interesting to read.

~BlueSunset




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:53 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



This is great, but one quick comment. I know this is modelled after Roses are Red, but there is one difference that for some reason I can't shake. Roses are Red has a rhyme pattern of ABCB, but you have ABBB. My suggestion is make Wii U into just Wii, or some other console, maybe the Switch.

Overall, I really did enjoy this. This is a short review for a short poem, and I only commented on what I didn't like, but that's really only because if I commented on what I liked too, I would've ended up quoting the whole poem. ;)

Like I said, nice job. Please write more of these!
-Shey




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:53 pm
sheysse says...



Glitch: Ignore





cron
I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother