z

Young Writers Society



There has always been smoke in the air

by FeatherPen


There has always been smoke in the air, as far back as I remember.

Scary smoke when I’m four and it’s summer. The Grey Bush fire clouds turn into black billows as they reach the houses atop of our hill. Flames too red and the sun too bright. The garden hose is thundering on our roof, stopping embers. It is as loud as the radio. Mum waits for evacuation orders from its speakers. It is too hot to hide under blankets. “Turn it off” I scream covering my ears “turn it off, turn it off!” I should be coving my nose. Next door has already packed, but the roads are blocked so it’s not much use.

Later playing at the beach, age seven or eight. It is the first day warm enough in spring. The headlands are glowing, with a white mist rising from the back burning. We run from the white foam of the waves giggling, too cold to swim. Instead we build sand castles, decorated with black charred drift wood and white pippi shells. Seagulls try to steal our picnic.

I took matches from the gas stove when I was 10. Melting sweets stolen from the Lollie jar, above a pile of stics and twigs, we knew we shouldn't. We were hidden under the house were we were forbidden from, because of the funnel webs. Yet we had a watering can next to us, by then we knew well enough. My brothers and I got dust on our trousers and the stink through our hair. When we got thirsty and went inside Mum quireied "why do you lot smell of smoke?" 

"We haven't been burning things under the house" my elequent three yearold brothers says too promply. I knew we'd had it.  He wouldn't join in the next thing we did. 

I remember its autumn, my twelfth birthday party. The leaves are raked away and a bucket of water is on hand. We sit around the fire playing musical chairs as the wind changes direction. Damper, marsh mellows and sausages over the coals. Singing "fire's burning" as the flames flare and the embers drift up on grey streams to join the stars, before snuffing out. We stay up, talking in the tent, which is musty from campfires before.

There is tobacco smoke on the veranda, when granny comes to visit and the silver tin fills with cigarette buts. There is other sweeter smoke from behind a building, at a party. Plastic smelling gas from my brother’s smoke bombs made from ping pong balls. Musk and jasmine incense in the crystal shop rises from the statue of budda. My attempts to follow a recipe set of the fire alarms, red and blue dish cloths flap at them till they fall silent. Dad smoking freshly caught fish for the Christmas party, where the barbeque produces charred steak and burgers.

It persists even in winter, when I hang out the washing. The streets fire places are alight, disappearing the branches which fell in the storm.

There is always smoke in the air, never let it be that of war. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 161
Reviews: 51

Donate
Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:35 am
Ishan212 wrote a review...



FeatherPen
Hi I'm Ishan212 and I am here to review your work.
Firstly I would like to say that your pen name is really nice.
Comming back to the story, your story doesn't seem much like a story. It seems like edited and compiled diary entries which have been written over the years. I mean to say a story has a plot, a theme or a background. All of which were missing in your work.
Secondly, whatever your work might be, it was something different. Writing about smoke, how it has become an important part of our lives is a topic that is hardly written on.
I'd like to point out that Lord Buddha should not begin with lowercase letters. I mean it's a proper noun so it should begin with capital letters.
It was a nice literary work.
Keep writing!!!
Ishan212




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 129
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 pm
View Likes
Jenika wrote a review...



Hello! I absolutely loved this story. The details were fantastic!

There is just one small thing I'd like to fix.

The Grey Bush fire clouds turn into black billows, as they reach the houses, at the top of our hill.


In this sentence maybe you could take out both commas in the sentence. Once that's done, replace "at the top of" with atop.

So make it more like this:

The Grey Bush fire clouds turn into black billows as they reach the houses atop our hill.


That's about all I can think of! Have a great day, and happy writing! ^^




FeatherPen says...


Wow that as quick, thanks. I think I struggle with sentence length when I get descriptive.



Jenika says...


No worries! Everyone goes through that, so you're okay lol
And yeah. I tend to go to the green room and see the latest works, and yours was at the top of the list.




we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper