18+ Violence Mature Content

Dead Inside

by FaulknerCannes

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

Slove grasped for the light. The flickering bulb shone its feeble glow on the young man’s dead eyes, its dying incandescence barely illuminating the rest of the single-room apartment. Throughout this hollow space, the terrible living conditions would have bothered a normal person. Aside from the lack of any window, there were myriad hair strands that littered the floorboards, most of them coated with dandruff; a pungent stink rose from the untucked bed, its yellowed bedding stained with brown patches; while freezing air had enveloped the room for twelve years since the blizzard had begun. But Slove could care little about these distractions at the moment. As he twiddled his digits around the glow, his stagnant eyes remained fixated on the white orb that provided warm light in the midst of this dark winter. His arms would grow tired every once in a while, and he would let it fall with a loud ‘thud’. It should have hurt, but he would raise his hand back towards the light a few seconds later without a whimper, his aloof expression unchanged.

Over in one corner of the room, the iMac his mother bought for him sat on a deteriorating study desk. Aside from the dusts that were showered over every piece of furniture in the apartment, the veneer of the table itself was filled with tears and holes, with one of the tearing so great that one could insert his whole index finger beneath the veneer. Moreover, ants could easily be spotted crawling all over the surface, the infestation caused by Slove’s constant dining of junk food and other meals by the desk. As for the computer itself, it contained a Windows platform filled with viruses, and a ‘Downloads’ folder full of pornography – gang rape pornography, filled with young women being dominated by groups of men in a twisted power-fantasy. Despite the stereotypical image he had set himself with – only things missing would be a basement and his dead parents still living with him – Slove could not be bothered to improve his life.

He had dug a deep hole in his life, and he was ready to fall further into despair. He would almost masturbate twice per day nowadays, numbing himself from the pains of reality. The comfort zone felt great; and with no one left in the world to pressurize him nor was there any conflict pushing him, he was a protagonist who will never escape from this Hell.

Slove had committed spiritual suicide, and he had reached the point of no return.

"I look inside myself and see my heart is black

I see my red door I must have it painted black

Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts

It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black"

Trident wrote a review...

Hello FaulknerCannes, it's been a while since I've done a review here, so pardon me if I am a bit rusty. Here are some of my thoughts:

Slove grasped for the light. The flickering bulb shone its feeble glow on the young man’s dead eyes, its dying incandescence barely illuminating the rest of the single-room apartment. Throughout this hollow space, the terrible living conditions would have bothered a normal person.

You said that "Slove" was a play on sloth, and really that does work here, though I think it plays more on "slovenly" because of his lifestyle. But as a name it's nice and not distracting like you said you were worried about. However, I have grave reservations about your use of adjectives. Adjectives are nice, but too many ruins the cake. I also think you could do with some cutting; spare us the long words that do nothing but take up space. The last sentence is very boring. A revision with these in mind might look like this:

Slove grasped for the light. The bulb flickered against the man's dead eyes, barely illuminating the rest of the single-room. What could be seen was trash, enough to make a sane man mad.

Aside from the lack of any window, there were myriad hair strands that littered the floorboards, most of them coated with dandruff; a pungent stink rose from the untucked bed, its yellowed bedding stained with brown patches; while freezing air had enveloped the room for twelve years since the blizzard had begun. But Slove could care little about these distractions at the moment.

Don't be afraid to break up your sentences, or at least not make them full of prepositional phrases. There's no need to stuff as much as possible into one sentence. The idea of a lack of window doesn't jive with hair, so pair it with the stinky bed to make the bed idea even stinkier. The hair can come after. I am confused with the fact that freezing air has "enveloped" the room when there is no window. You will have to explain why the air is cold then. Again, relax on the adjectives.

As he twiddled his digits around the glow, his stagnant eyes remained fixated on the white orb that provided warm light in the midst of this dark winter. His arms would grow tired every once in a while, and he would let it fall with a loud ‘thud’. It should have hurt, but he would raise his hand back towards the light a few seconds later without a whimper, his aloof expression unchanged.

That first line is just so contrived. The word "digits" is out of place. I would suggest not using "orb", probably ever. I am just unsure what he is even doing in this portion. Trying to keep warm by the light bulb? It's uninspired. You could characterize him better here.

Over in one corner of the room, the iMac his mother bought for him sat on a deteriorating study desk. Aside from the dusts that were showered over every piece of furniture in the apartment, the veneer of the table itself was filled with tears and holes, with one of the tearing so great that one could insert his whole index finger beneath the veneer.

The images of an iMac and "veneer" are somewhat contradictory to the rest of the setting. This could be a good thing. But I don't think you play up that juxtaposition enough. If you make those things seem even more absurdly out of place, the critique could be more powerful. Don't tell us his mom bought it for him, but slyly hint at it. You don't need to hit us over the head by telling us, but showing us the juxtaposed images of the pigsty and his moneyed privilege will do its own work to awaken our inner rage.

As for the computer itself, it contained a Windows platform filled with viruses, and a ‘Downloads’ folder full of pornography – gang rape pornography, filled with young women being dominated by groups of men in a twisted power-fantasy. Despite the stereotypical image he had set himself with – only things missing would be a basement and his dead parents still living with him – Slove could not be bothered to improve his life.

The Windows line is laughable (not in a good way) and doesn't belong. Why is that even on an iMac anyway? Ditch it. You give us the gang rape pornography bit, but don't expand upon it in any satisfying way. Also, this is not the time to drop that his parents are dead. And especially after you talk about gang rape, I thought this line meant that we was sadistically imagining that his parents were dead and still in the house. This part is a mess that needs some clarity and introspection. What are you truly trying to do with these lines?

I feel as though you wanted to be edgy with the masturbation line, but fell short because you played it safe. It doesn't really go anywhere. Some lonely guy in a dirty room masturbates. Are any of us really surprised? There's no insight here that could help characterize him further.

Your whole story and the song lyrics afterward stand on the foundation of this line, but it's not potent enough. This is the first mention of spirituality, which is such a broad term and undefined in this particular story. Which means we don't really know what kind of suicide he has committed or why that is important. If you mention a kind of spirituality in the beginning, that might bring this full circle rather nicely.

On the theme of modernity and loss of spirituality

You are certainly not alone in your quest to examine these themes and they are certainly admirable to explore. However, I think you need to try and figure out what exactly you are trying to say here. The junk food and computer full of pornography (as modern vices) can certainly be strong images that help make his loss of spirituality evident, but what is it exactly that he has lost? It is unclear, and thus we as readers don't feel the same feeling of loss in the process. If we don't feel that same loss, the whole story loses potency.

I am going to have to stop now, but let me know if you have any questions about my review. I would be happy to answer them.

Best,
Trident

Terrific. YWS cancelled out the lengthy reply I wrote to you by indicating "the URL is too long", whatever the heck that means.

Anyway, I'm tired of rewriting, so I'll just summarize what I wrote.

- I'm a new writer who's not good at writing, and I don't really care because this was just for fun and for getting me into the habit of publishing something. I might improve in five years' time, if I'm lucky (eight if I'm not).

- This is a loser who committed spiritual suicide because he gave up on life and is grasping for the one light in his dark life. "Sloth" can mean apathy, in this case, apathy towards life.

There were other details I had addressed in response to your review, but I don't really feel like retyping them again.

Okay, never mind. Looks like I found a little free time to reply to you in detail. I'm not going to use quotes this time, as I figured that the usage of quotes was the reason my reply didn't go through the last time.

Like I said, the "sloth" indicated here was meant to be apathy towards life. In religion, "not doing God's work" is considered slothful, but outside of that, sloth has the meaning of "stagnancy" and the abandonment of one's will, which is appropriate here since Slove has given up on progressing with his life, his will has died, and he has given up on having any kind of normal life altogether.

The example sentence you gave me, "Slove grasped for the light. The bulb flickered against the man's dead eyes, barely illuminating the rest of the single-room. What could be seen was trash, enough to make a sane man mad." I could never write something like that without at least five years of casual writing practice, hence my mentioning of "five years' time" above. Not only am I an incompetent writer... but I can be awfully lazy. :P

Also, I 'tell' better than I 'show', which is why when I do show, I end up using awkward sentences every time. That's how I've always been when writing. I don't know how to get rid of that incompetence of mine, so don't ask me.

The 'freezing' was there because I tried to force the winter into the story, and I really wanted to keep the winter in the story, as it's a metaphor of the storm that had once raged inside Slove. It was meant to represent the inner-conflict Slove had before he gave up on life. Then again, the fact that he still has the inclination to grasp for the one remaining light in his dark life (the darkness of the room and the light bulb being yet another set of metaphors) shows that maybe he's not completely given up yet, otherwise he would just go out and freeze to death or something and be done with it (technically, he's too cowardly to commit actual suicide, but that's for another story).

So yeah, the most important part of the story, the one meant to be the metaphor, the point of this story, is also the one you labeled as "contrived". But there it is. I think if that's contrived, then my next few stories will be considered contrived as well. But whatever.

By the way, that wasn't uninspired to me, because the whole "grasping for the light in times of darkness" theme? That was a pretty inspiring message for myself that I wanted to convey with the story.

The iMac and veneer were based on real life elements. The Windows platform too, since I'm running Windows on Boot Camp; Google it up, Windows can be ran on a Macintosh, and I'm not talking about virtual machines.

The gang rape pornography is actually a sub-plot involving pornography addiction I wanted to convey with my future stories if they ever involve this character again. The basement and the parents living with him were meant to indicate that "if he lives in a basement while sharing the apartment with his parents, his image would be complete as a stereotypical basement-dwelling loser". That's the kind of character I wanted to write, 'coz it felt fun - a completely unlikable loser whom everyone will hate. It's a bit of an attempt at childish anarchy on my part, I'll admit.

As for the masturbation, it did go somewhere, which you unfortunately seem to miss. The fact that he "does it twice per day now" was an attempt to hint his addiction. It was meant to say that he was using the pornography as an escapism to run away from "the pains of reality", to be in his "comfort zone", both phrases I've used in the story to indicate that point. "With no one to pressurize him" because his parents are dead, he as a protagonist doesn't have any conflict to push him forward, hence he remains stagnant and gives up on life, and pretty much kills himself on the inside, hence the title, "Dead Inside". It's a play on the usual "hero's life is met with conflict and progress with the story" formula.

And even though the ending is the first time I mentioned spirituality, it's not the first time I implied it by showing that he is indeed 'dead on the inside', spiritually, blatantly killing any emotions and any desires he might have, as seen by "his stagnant eyes". I mean, he doesn't shower, he doesn't bath, he just lies there like a loser; if that's not a sign of a broken man who has given up on life, I don't know what is.

So, yeah, that's it. This was meant to be a fun story, and a practice in writing, so yeah, it was not supposed to be brilliant, awesome, or even decent. Expect more stories like this to come, as I'm still not used to getting over my fear of publishing my story. This review certainly didn't help much with that...

Trident says...

Hi FaulkerCannes,

Please don't understand my review as saying your piece was bad or that you shouldn't post here. Please understand it as genuinely trying to help you. If I didn't see something good here, I wouldn't have bothered to review. I talked about some of the good things, but the point at YWS is not to hear all the good things about your work, but to learn how to make it better. Of course, all of my suggestions are just my opinions, so you can feel free to follow my advice or ignore it if you choose.

Yeah, maybe.

The thing is, these advices don't really help me much. If I could've written better over the decade that I've rewritten this story (rewritten and reedited over and over again), I would've. I'm just kinda bugged by the writing world how there's all these standards that I could never meet up to. I mean, you have no idea how many times I chose not to write anymore due to my incompetence in writing. What's the point if I'm not gonna improve, right?

Anyway, the other thing is, I guess I was a bit annoyed that you missed the point of the story by calling it contrived when there were obvious indications of otherwise, as I've pointed out with some of the phrases I quoted in my last comment, like "numbing the pains of reality" or "comfort zone". Like I said, it was meant to be a story about escapism, and it's really just a prototype of a much bigger story that I've rewritten over and over again till the point of giving up. But you know, people started telling me to keep it short and write a short story version of it first, so I did, and here it is.

Anyway, yeah, that's what I think. I kinda hate that I'm not able to write as fluently as you people, but whatever. Think I might just keep writing and publishing for my own sake, not for the sake of getting readers or anything. I know that's considered a bad ethic in the writing world, but I don't really care. I've got great ideas, but I just don't know how to execute them well. But what else am I gonna do? Sit for another decade and wait till I write better? Screw that.

Trident says...

I don't really know what you want me to say; I am not going to disavow my words. I stand by them and believe in what I wrote.

This is a critique site. If you feel that the advice is not helpful, then you can simply ignore it.

No need to be offended or anything. I never said your review was shit, even if you kinda missed the point of the story. But whatever.

I was merely trying to say that I can't write for shit despite the many times I tried, so these advices are only as effective as the thousands of tips those online articles about writing well.

Despite your condescension though, I'm not going to be discouraged from writing what I love and leave this site just because of your elitist views on what this site is supposed to be. "TheLostDetective" recently told me in the chat room that I should just write what I love, even if they aren't written well, as "It's better to have write poorly and be critiqued than to have never written at all."

Annnd I messed that up because this site doesn't have an edit button. Terrific.

Is that what it's supposed to be? Prevent you from editing your comments so that people could criticize you to boost their ego?

For the record, you were kinda arrogant about not disavowing your thoughts. I mean, sure, most of the things you said was accurate, but Windows could clearly be ran on an iMac, as my real life iMac has proven. And your blatant dismissal towards the "comfort zone" and "pains of reality" lines were kinda annoying when you went on to say "it doesn't go anywhere" even though you ignored phrases that went somewhere. So am I supposed to take it that your word is objectively correct when you've ignored such an obvious insertion? Don't disavow it for all I care, fine, but don't act like you're right in this matter.

WrittenEdge wrote a review...

This was actually really good!
You phrased things just right, to where I could paint a perfect picture in my head; but you also left out any details that weren't needed. You also have an excellent vocabulary, might I add.
You gave us the problem almost immediately, and it easily fit it into the story without you having to straight up tell us what it is. That is one thing that a lot of writers struggle with, so you did well. You also have a character that is pretty well developed, seeing as how this entire piece was about him. I'm sure that many people can relate to him, and that's important to a reader. I like his name, by the way!
Overall, it was a short and simple read, but you somehow made it amazingly impactful. I liked it, good job!

Wow, that's... a better reaction than I expected. I didn't do much editing on the second-half of this writing, just so you know (from the part where it says, "Over in one corner of the room), and it took me weeks just to come up with the first-half of the story. lol

But wow, thanks. That's... quite the confidence booster. Hm.

Oh, and his name was a play on the word, "Sloth". :) I wanted a fancier name, but I figured a simple symbolic name like this is fine enough, or it would distract from the story.

WrittenEdge says...

The beginning is always the hardest part for me, so I understand haha! I wish I could get a way with not completely editing everything. I usually become pretty lazy by the time I get to the middle, so everything just tends to slip XD
My pleasure, I'm glad I could help! It's always a good feeling when someone likes your story just as much as you do, it makes it all worth it, I guess.
Nice word play, it makes perfect sense. I like how simple it was, yet how it represents so much of the character. :D

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"