z

Young Writers Society


Language Violence

Sky City Epsilon - Chapter 1: Darnell

by FantasyWriter76


Darnell Terrace sat on his bed, swiping at his rugged, garnet hair. He was waiting for the electro-vision to broadcast his brother's big moment, his first meeting as a council member. Darnell's brother, Vladimir, was recently chosen to be the replacement council member for Jaune Caesar, who mysteriously vanished one day...

Darnell's brother was the only family he had. His parents, well, didn't have the best intentions. They were not accepting of the Sky Cities and became part of the Fell. Ever since Vlad left, Darnell was always waiting for an opportunity to see his brother who couldn't come home because of work.

Today was the day...

                                    ***

"Today is the day..." said Charles Garland, head administer of the Grand Council, to a nervous Vladimir, "You will finally become a true member of the Council."

Vlad stared at Charles, the man who controlled everything. "You're right, and I know, it's just that..."

"Yes, yes. You've only been a rookie member for a month. But since you are with all the others," Charles said, "You'll be okay."

The meeting began. It took place in front of the big screen in the middle of the central plaza, and the people started to gather. The common folk of Epsilon asked the usual questions. "What about the economy?" and "What will you do about the Fell?" Vlad felt more comfortable, seeing as how he was in the care of the elder members. But one thing was strange.

"Where is Joaquin Schelakine, Sir Charles?" asked Vlad.

"Oh, I'm right here, dear boy." said a voice. A loud, static-sounding voice from the big screen. It sounded like... oh no, what was he doing?

"It is I, your future ruler, Joaquin Schelakine." On the screen, Joaquin, wearing a pseudo fox kabuki mask over his eyes and nose and the Council's iconic white suit stained with blood, appeared on the screen.

Charles had realized that he, too, had forgotten about Joaquin. "What are you doing? What is that on your suit? I have so many questions, this is very out of character for you!" Charles yelled at him on the screen.

Joaquin snickered, "I'm doing what I've always been doing! Running Epsilon. You may have thought you were the conductor of this symphony, but I was the true top dog. Just ask Jaune Caesar!"

Charles was frustrated. Schelakine had gone mad! "You know Caesar went missing a month ago! Don't ruin his good name!"

"Missing, huh?" Joaquin replied, "He's right..." he switches the footage on screen, "HERE!"

On the screen, it shows the body... of Jaune Caesar, with a hole in his head, a stream of dried blood down his face.

"Holy hell, Joaquin..." Charles murmured. Grabbing his teletransmission device, Charles called for guards. "Anybody, please!  We need help, Joaquin's a murderer!"

"Don't even try, Charles. Either way, you'll be dead before your reinforcements arrive," Joaquin smirked and laughed maniacally. 

"Dead!? What will you do?" Charles yelled.

From atop a large residential building, Joaquin screamed psychotically from the heavens, "Let's just say that I came FOR THE LIGHTSHOW!" Joaquin pushed a button on a small device he was holding.

Suddenly, the plaza was emitting a beeping noise. "Joaquin! N-" Before Charles could finish his sentence, everything went up in flames. It looked as if each member of the council blew up individually, scattering parts everywhere.

                                     ***

An explosion here and there, charred corpses, and bloodshed were all Darnell saw on that screen. "Vladi?" Darnell said, somberly staring at the electro-vision, mumbling the nickname he'd given his older sibling. "Vladi!!!" Darnell yelled at the machine.

That was the day Epsilon met its new ruler.

To be continued...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello, Fantasy!

For the most part, I have a vague idea of what is happening in this story. There is some rift going on between the world and what's known as "Sky Cities," which are independent organizations that govern themselves. And then a coup occurs on one of said Sky Cities causes a lot of carnage and destruction. Which is definitely an interesting idea and there is a lot you can do with this, but right now, I don't care that much.

As of starting to read your story, I don't have a set character or perspective that I'm attached to or invested in. I've only just been introduced in this world and already there is carnage and death. I don't really know what to make of it, everything is moving too fast for me as a reader. From how the chapter is framed I'm assuming this is going to be a story about Darnell ... but I don't have much inclination as to what role he will play in the story. I don't even know who Darnell as a character is.

My suggestion -- and keep in mind, these are suggestions and my impressions. The final decision is up to how you want to tell the story -- is to spend a little bit more time with Darnell first. Maybe give us a chapter or two with Darnell, and even his brother, to start building some connection between the two of them. Show us his motivation, his drive, his character so that we can get accustomed to this brand new world and the problems it is already facing. In that time period, you can also foreshadow this massive catastrophe by some of the things the characters are observing, how the council is acting, etc. This will make a huge difference on how this scene impacts the reader, making them much more invested why when metaphorical crap hits the fan.

Another things I wanted to touch on is Jaoquin's character. At this point, his character is not that intimidating. He's very cliche, tending to stray on the "I want to rule the world and no one can stop me" stereotype with no real motivation. This also kind of detracts from the scene because it feels like the characters aren't acting nearly as dramatic as they might have intended to have been. I highly recommend trying to flesh out Jaoquin's character a bit more, giving him so motivation, some humanity that the reader can see in him and maybe even cause them to fear him more. In my experience, readers typically react better (in regards to a villain) when they're more realistic than simply theatrical.

Though, if you do choose to follow my suggestion, it would give more opportunity to showcase Jaoquin's character as well.

Finally, I'll just some more specific suggestions with quotes from the piece.

Darnell Terrace sat on his bed, swiping at his rugged, garnet hair.


Quite frankly, this isn't the strongest line. On its own, it's mundane and doesn't tell anything about the character in question. The rest of the paragraph goes on to simply talk about his family, but doesn't say anything in particular about Darnell. I'd recommend maybe giving a bit more character to this line, maybe writing about what he's actively thinking or a more descriptive scene set up or something more engaging than what's written.

To be continued...


This feels cliche and unnecessary considering this is marked as a Chapter 1 and would theoretically lead directly into Chapter 2 in a real novel. This adds too much distinction between the chapters. And we also know it will continue with the next part.

"What are you doing? What is that on your suit? I have so many questions, this is very out of character for you!"


I feel like sometimes when writers give the advice "show, don't tell" they don't often point out sections where telling is occurring, but this is definitely a telling moment. By one character directly saying another is acting out of the usual, it's very obvious to the reader and kind of disengaging. The fact that everyone is so shocked clues us in that this behavior isn't expected of the character. As well, as mentioned before, better establishing the character's "normal" earlier on definitely adds to the shock for the reader, thus leaving comments like this obsolete.

From what I read, I believe you have a solid grasp of what your world is, and that is always really good! I commend you for that. But just make sure you give the reader enough time to adjust to that world and let them in so that they can better engage in the story you are trying to tell. This is a great start and you have a lot of good material to work with.

If you have any questions, you can always feel free to message me about them. I'd be happy to answer ~ Best of luck!

- Wolfe




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 pm
View Likes
Poppy wrote a review...



Hi FantasyWriter! I'm Poppy, and I'm here with a review!

Hmm, well this was interesting. It reminds me of a futuristic type novel, which is cool :) Now, here is what I found that I think could use some work.


"Darnell's brother, Vladimir, was recently chosen to be the replacement council member for Jaune Caesar, who mysteriously vanished one day..."
- Hmm, what is the council? What do they do? I'd recommend adding some more detail about the council here, partly to paint a picture for the readers, and also to lure the readers in. Also, I feel that "one day" could be changed to make the writing flow better, or taken out all together.

"Ever since Vlad left, Darnell was always waiting for an opportunity to see his brother who couldn't come home because of work."
- Add in a comma after "brother"

"Today was the day..."
- This feels unfinished to me. Maybe try something like, 'Today was the day that would all change.'

"You may have thought you were the conductor of this symphony, but I was the true top dog. Just ask Jaune Caesar!"
- "but I was" should be changed to "but I am" because he currently is currently the top dog in this sentence

"On the screen, it shows the body... of Jaune Caesar, with a hole in his head, a stream of dried blood down his face."
- You moved from past-tense to present here. "shows" should be changed to 'showed'. Also, you need an 'and' before "a stream...'. And finally, I would change that last part of this sentence to something like, "...a stream of dried blood smeared down his face.". That adds description and detail.

"Anybody, please! We need help, Joaquin's a murderer!"
- You just accidentally added an extra space before "We"


Overall, this was interesting! I still have no idea what the council is, or what they do, or even why they were video-calling Darnell (cool name by the way). but maybe that was explained in the prologue, which I haven't read, so that could just be my own fault for not understanding.
I think you could definitely make this chapter longer by adding answers to those questions if they weren't answered in your prolouge - or if you don't want to answer those specific questions, at least give the reader some hints that they will be answered sometime soon, because this whole chapter hardly made sense to me because of the fact that I didn't understand what was going on, or know who the characters. I was kind of dropped into the middle of something.

In 100% honesty, this needs some work - and I don't mean that to be mean or disrespect your writing. And anyway, everyone's opinions are different if you feel this is fine. I just wanted to be honest with my opinion for your benefit.

Keep up the great work!
-Poppy





The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson