Ties That Bind, Chapter 1

by FangirlDivided

To the kingdoms of old

The storm shall fall

Together they stand

Or one by one fall

Lives will be lost

But the day shall be saved

But the ties that bind closest

Are destined to fray

Theoren

Up. Parry. Block.

There!

I thrust as soon as I saw it, a slight opening. My awareness was rewarded when my wooden drill sword connected with my sparring partner’s, Felix, wrist.

He dropped his own drill sword and I couldn’t help but smile at the scowl on his face. The look only deepened when our instructor, Master Daren Crod, laughed.

“Wipe the scowl of your face, Felix. Theoren beat you by your own inattentiveness. Now both of you come get some water and bread.” He barked out in his rough voice, still full of amusement.

HIs command was answered by a “Yes, Master Crod.” from me and a “Yes, father.” from Felix.

As we made our way over to our gray haired and dusty master, who sat on a log a distance away smoking a pipe, with our water skins and basket of bread beside him, I truly looked at my companion.

Felix was as old as I was at 18, and he was also just as tall. The only true difference was he had blonde hair to my black, and green to my brown eyes.

We were both dusty and hot from sparring all morning but, I much prefer the sunny open fields that we trained in, beside the small town of Salean, to the cold, closed off stone and stiff people of the keep of Quayfan. I would choose combat training over council meetings any day.

Especially days like this, where after training for hours we all sit down and enjoy cool spring water from Salian’s well and fresh baked bread from Lina, the town baker.

As we were sitting there, minutes later, me, my friend, and my teacher heard the sounds of a horse coming down the well traveled flagstone road near where we rested.

It was not a strange sight to see travelers on this road. However, it was strange to see a traveler coming from the keep, as there were not to be any dignitaries or councils that day.

“Who do you suppose it is?” Felix asked me.

“I cannot begin to guess.” I replied.

Soon enough the rider came into view. He was a tall and broad man on a light grey stallion, his silver armour catching the afternoon sun.

Sir Faren Hollest, the king’s steward.

“Hail, Sir Hollest.” Master Crod shouted when he was within hearing.

“Master Crod.” He addressed dismounting.

I watched them closely as the men greeted each other more out of formality, than a want to. It was common knowledge they held resentment towards each other. The reason is still a mystery to even me.

“Prince Theoren.” He said, bowing towards me.

So much for a peaceful evening without formalities.

“Steward.” I addressed him, returning his bow. “What news do you bring?” I asked, for surely he would only be here if father had urgent news for me.

“I’m afraid the princess asked me to come with the news that your father has fallen ill. She asks for you to return to the keep.”

I felt myself pale slightly. I had noticed father didn’t seem quite himself this morning, but I did not worry, placing the blame on a number of trade agreements that he had been working on since last night.

“Of course.” I said, starting to gather my water skin and drill sword.

Felix tossed me my traveling cloak as I called over my chestnut mare. When I mounted, I looked toward Master Crod and said, “I apologize for cutting our lesson short, Master. Perhaps another time?”

Master Crod stood and smiled at me around his trimmed beard. “There is nothing to forgive, my prince. We wish for a safe journey for you and a swift recovery for the king. Farewell.”

With that I galloped away followed closely by Sir Hollest.

We rode through the plains and up the hill. It was a beautiful spring day, with flowers blooming as far as one could see, and barely a cloud in the sky.

I saw none of it.

I will admit that I was lost in my own head, pondering what illness could over take one so quickly. I pushed the thoughts from my head and focused on the road in front of me.

We were coming upon Quefan, the keep of my family, the Cerestirs. The dark stone walls towered high over our heads with the spindly towers rising even higher ending in a point and the bright red flag emblazoned with a black winged serpent, my family crest.

As we reached the gate we were let through immediately, the guards recognizing me and Sir Hollest.

I dismounted and handed the reins over to a young stable boy. Barely slowing down I hurried to my father’s chambers.

I walked through the winding corridors that some would find claustrophobic and dark. However this was my home and where I grew up. I found the dark, tight spaces comforting and secure.

I made it to a set of dark doors in one of the center most towers near the top. I didn’t hesitate and swung the door open.

The room was dark from the heavy curtains that covered the window, the only source of light being three small wax candles by the bed.

I noticed this only after I had observed the sleeping figure lying in the four poster bed in the center of one of the walls.

He was around 40 summers with a neat black beard and shoulder length hair. He would have looked the same as always had it not been for the fact that he was pale, extremely so.

What I noticed next however was the thin girl tending him. She was around 16 summers with hair that was darker than the night sky that was braided around her head like a crown. Her slim frame was covered in a velvet red dress with black embroidery.

Her face was not to me but I knew what would be there. The sharp yet delicate features and the silver blue eyes that were undoubtedly crying.

Amalia, my little sister.

Amalia only now realized I had come into the room.

“You came?” She asked seemingly surprised, her eyes finding mine.

“As soon as I heard.” I said, walking up behind her.

I noticed a piece had come loose from her braid, so I unconsciously started rebraiding it. My fingers remembering the task that they have done since I was eight.

“Most would find it amusing that the crown prince of Quefan can weave a better braid than most women.” She said, looking back to our father with a slight smile.

“Who else was going to keep this unruly hair of yours back? Surly not father.” I jested, hoping that it would lift her mood slightly. I failed.

“I am worried for him Theoren. We know only too well that illness is enough to take one of our parents.” She said, starting to tear up again.

I felt my own pain at her words. Why did this have to happen twice?

“When mother died, I was eight. I could do nothing. Now is different I will doing everything in my power and beyond if I must, but I promise you that it will not happen again.” I promised fiercely. I could not stand to see my sister like this.

She looked at me with hope filled eyes before throwing her arms around my neck and whispering, “I know you will. I love you, Theoren.”

“I love you too, Amalia.”

SteppeVesteffi wrote a review...

Hello, FangirlDivided! (Have I told you yet that I love your username? Cuz I do.)

This is quite a delightful chapter!

One thing that stood out to me while reading this is how comfortable you seem with this genre. I get the sense you've written plenty of fantasy/adventure stories before, and/or have read a lot of stories that fall under that category. Either way, I'd say you demonstrate a natural knack for this type of writing, which is awesome.

I know this is just the first chapter, and as such I've only just met them, but I already love your characters. There's depth to them, layers and complexities. I can tell you're setting them up to be well-rounded and interesting. I was right away intrigued by the dynamic between Theoren and Felix—I have a weakness for friendships with casual competitiveness; blame Betty and Veronica—but by the end, the dynamic I was really taken with was that of Theoren and Amalia. Sibling relationships are always interesting, and I love how you've set theirs up. You were perfectly subtle about it, too—the way Theoren "unconsciously started rebranding" her hair? So adorable. So perfect. I love subtlety like that, little touches that establish something about a character or the relationship between two characters... Just brilliant.

As for Theoren himself, he seems like a solid protagonist thus far. Of course it's easy for a writer to fall into tropes with the hero protagonist of their fantasy or action/adventure novel, and though you seem very skilled with character-building, I'd be remiss not to warn you of that. Just make sure Theoren isn't too perfect, or generic, or too tough or skilled or special, and you'll do fine. ;)

I thought this was a very good first chapter in terms of story, as well. You've set the tone of the novel, you've started setting up the plot, you've established a few things without establishing or explaining too much—basically, it pulls the reader in and it holds their interest. A good way to test the effectiveness of a first chapter is to ask the reader whether or not they'd read the second chapter, and in this case, I definitely would. So, props for that.

Since this is just the beginning of the story (and a strong beginning too), I don't have much in the way of constructive criticism—mostly just a few comments and some minor grammatical mistakes. Which brings us to... nitpicks!

My awareness was rewarded when my wooden drill sword connected with my sparring partner’s, Felix, wrist.

Change this to:
My awareness was rewarded when my wooden drill sword connected with my sparring partner Felix's wrist.

Wipe the scowl of your face, Felix.

I believe you mean, "wipe the scowl off your face."

Now both of you come get some water and bread.” He barked out in his rough voice

The H in "he" should be lowercase here. If a pronoun that follows dialogue is connected to that dialogue (e.g., "he said/she said/they asked"), then it should begin with a lowercase letter—always. You make this mistake a few times.

The I in "his" seems to have been accidentally capitalized here. Also, when you write "yes, Master Crod" and "yes, Father," you don't really need to capitalize the Y's in "yes" or include periods. And finally, the F in "father" should be capitalized here. This is the rule: if mum/dad/nana/auntie/etc is preceded by, say, a possessive pronoun (e.g., "my father"), the first letter is lowercase; if, however, you're referring to a character as mum/dad/nana/auntie/etc, in place of their actual name (e.g., "yes, Father"), the first letter should be capitalized.

As we made our way over to our gray haired and dusty master

Should be "gray-haired," with a dash.

So this is a personal pet peeve of mine: When a writer states what a character looks like almost immediately, and without much subtlety. It's just kind of cringe-y. I know it's tempting to tell the reader your character's description right off the bat (what author wants their reader to picture their character in a way that's not at all how they're supposed to look??), but it's just so clunky. Wait a little while and work the description in subtly; make it blend with the story and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, there's something kind of bland about just stating a character's hair and eye color. Again, I understand the appeal, but it's not very interesting. When you do eventually work in their descriptions, do it in a fun, interesting way—like, "Felix's eyes were swampy and full of mischief, enhanced by hair that was the color of straw." I dunno, something like that.

We were both dusty and hot from sparring all morning but, I much prefer the sunny open fields that we trained in

Put the comma before "but" and after "morning."

me, my friend, and my teacher heard the sounds

My friend, my teacher, and I.

Comma after "away."

claustrophobic and dark. However this was my home and where I grew up. I found the dark, tight spaces comforting and secure.

See how many times you use the word "dark" here? You've gotta work on varying your language. It's a small thing, sure, but it makes all the difference.

She was around 16 summers with hair that was darker than the night sky that was braided around her head like a crown.

So I know, with a story like this, writing in a vaguely old-timey way is kind of a requirement—and to your credit, you've managed to do that without alienating your reader. The only part of this story that jumped out at me as being overwrought and cringe-y was this sentence, mostly because of the line "hair that was darker than the night sky." I get what you were going for, I do, but man oh man—that bit really bums me out.

Her face was not to me but I knew what would be there.

What?

so I unconsciously started rebraiding it. My fingers remembering the task that they have done since I was eight.

Either change the period following "rebraiding it" to a comma, or change "remembering" to "remembered."

Surly not father.

I believe you mean, "surely not Father"?

Now is different I will doing everything in my power

Lots wrong with this line. Maybe try:
Now things are different; I will do everything in my power

So, overall, this is a very good first chapter of what looks poised to be a really entertaining novel. I'd love to read more. Just keep in mind the issues I mentioned and you'll have an awesome book on your hands. ;)

Nice work!

Thank you for such a detailed review! I will admit after what you have pointed out, I truly need to go back over my story better. The nitpicks really help me to figure out where my spelling and grammar mistakes are and also where my message did not come across.

Thank You and All The Best,
Fangirl/ed

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:25 pm
Pentavalence wrote a review...

Hi, penandsword here with a review.

Good work! An intriguing first sentence and a well-written beginning. I felt like I could see the field where they sparred from just a few sentences.

There's not a lot of major problems that I found, just some discrepancies: You measure Theoren's age in years, but Amalia's in summers. The dialogue is a little stiff but I assume it's from the era (which seems pretty realistic and researched to me), and there's a few missing or misplaced commas.

Aside from that, it's a great first chapter.
:)

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you liked it. I never noticed that I measured Theoren's age wrong, and I will definitely go back over the comma situation. It goes to show that however much editing you do there will always be mistakes.

Thank you,
F.D

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 am
AnnMath says...

I'm haven't much experience in literature or grammar, but I enjoyed reading your piece of work. I thoroughly enjoyed the way you worded such experiences.

AnnMath

Thank you for your review. I love to here what people have to say about my stories no matter what.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:29 pm
Keumgan wrote a review...

Hi there! Keumgan here for a review!

Up. Parry. Block.

There!

I thrust as soon as I saw it, a slight opening. My awareness was rewarded when my wooden drill sword connected with my sparring partner’s, Felix, wrist."

~Very nice beginning. You've already given the reader a sense of what kind of scene this is, and you did that quite swiftly.

~Here I like how you've started introducing the characters. The use of dialog within that last sentence was really smooth.

~Descriptions! You have a nice way of building up the scene piece by piece, giving your readers just enough information without being excessive. Your descriptions of the characters are just enough to help us imagine who we are reading about. I love it.

“I cannot begin to guess.” I replied.

Sir Faren Hollest, the king’s steward.

[...]

~Your dialogue is crisp and keeps the readers attentive. You make characters interact in a way that makes me feel like I'm watching a movie, and that's usually the style I would go for.

~And finally, this is probably my favorite part, mainly because you have a really good way of describing the character's surroundings. I believe that's the one skill I have yet to improve in my writing, as I tend to focus on the plot and character interaction, then I completely forget about describing where the story is happening, what the place looks like, and so on.

Your writing style is really enjoyable, so as much as I know most authors want some serious criticism to improve, I feel like I don't know what you could improve. I found it all beautifully written. I am looking forward to reading what you write next. I'm already hooked! Great first chapter!

Thank you so much for this review. It warmed my heart to know that somebody enjoyed my story. This really brightened my day.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.